Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

[Archived]Oera Linda Book and the Great Flood

Riaan

I like difficult, that's why I chose to study the OLB.

This idea, that started this morning, will lead to a breakthrough.

Give me some time to make my point.

OK.

But GOLA (refugees, exciles) or GOLAN or even GALILEE (south of the Golan Heights) would fit better than GOLEM.

What I did not read here is, that if all of this is true, then the Gauls are the descendants of Jews and/or Phoenicians, and the Gauls would probably have a religion that was similar. I think some will start thinking about Ba'al (Semitic god) and Bel (Celtic god)...

==

Galilee

According to the Bible, Solomon rewarded Hiram I for certain services by giving him the gift of an upland plain among the mountains of Naphtali. Hiram called it "the land of Cabul". The region takes its name from the Hebrew galil, "district", "circle", a noun which, in the construct state, requires a genitival noun. Hence the Biblical "Galilee of the Nations", Hebrew"galil goyim"(Isaiah 9:1). The "nations" would have been the foreigners who came to settle there, or who had been forcibly deported there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galilee

3754641-North_of_Israel_Haifa_Galilee_Kinneret_Golan_H_Haifa_District.jpg

Golan-topographical-map.jpg

Golan [EBD]

exile, a city of Bashan (Deut. 4:43), one of the three cities of refuge east of Jordan, about 12 miles north-east of the Sea of Galilee (Josh. 20:8). There are no further notices of it in Scripture. It became the head of the province of Gaulanitis, one of the four provinces into which Bashan was divided after the Babylonish captivity, and almost identical with the modern Jaulan, in Western Hauran, about 39 miles in length and 18 in breath.

GOLAN; GAULONITIS - go'-lan (golan), (Gaulanitis): Golan was a city in the territory allotted to Manasseh in Bashan, the most northerly of the three cities of refuge East of the Jordan (Dt 4:43; Josh 20:8); assigned with its "suburbs" to the Gershonite Levites (Josh 21:27; 1 Ch 6:71). It must have been a great and important city in its day; but the site cannot now be determined with any certainty. It was known to Josephus (Ant., XIII, xv, 3). Near Golan Alexander was ambushed by Obodas, king of the Arabians; and his army, crowded together in a narrow and deep valley, was broken in pieces by the multitude of camels (BJ, I, iv, 4). This incident is located at Gadara in Ant, XIII, xiii, 5. Later, Golan was destroyed by Alexander. It had already given its name to a large district, Gaulonitis (BJ, III, iii, 1, 5; IV, i, 1). It formed the eastern boundary of Galilee. It was part of the tetrarchy of Philip (Ant., XVII, viii, 1; XVIII, iv, 6). The city was known to Eusebius as "a large village," giving its name to the surrounding country (Onomasticon, under the word Gaulon). This country must have corresponded roughly with the modern Jaulan, in which the ancient name is preserved. The boundaries of the province today are Mt. Hermon on the North, Jordan and the Sea of Galilee on the West, Wady Yarmuk on the South, and Nahr `Allan on the East. This plateau, which in the North is about 3,000 ft. high, slopes gradually southward to a height of about 1,000 ft. It is entirely volcanic, and there are many cone-like peaks of extinct volcanoes, especially toward the North It affords good pasturage, and has long been a favorite summer grazing-ground of the nomads. Traces of ancient forests remain, but for the most part today it is treeless. To the East of the Sea of Galilee the soil is deep and rich. Splendid crops of wheat are grown here, and olives flourish in the hollows. The country is furrowed by deep valleys that carry the water southwestward into the Sea of Galilee. This region has not yet been subjected to thorough examination, but many important ruins have been found, which tell of a plentiful and prosperous population in times long past. The best description of these, and of the region generally, will be found in Schumacher's The Jaulan, and Across the Jordan. To him also we owe the excellent maps which carry us eastward to the province of el-Chauran.

http://classic.net.bible.org/dictionary.php?word=Golan

===============

Hmmm... dunno.... but suddenly I start smelling something really 'fishy'....

It is already said that there is a Christian undertone in the OLB. And now we can add the 'evil Gola' (or Galileans/Gaulonites) to the picture. Jews, anyone?

Edited by Abramelin

Thank you VG, good to see you're busy with some older pages of the thread.

OLB provides an etymology for GERMANI and ALEMANI, I wonder if CHAUCI can be related to this fragment:

"MEN KAVCH IS ÁK WAN FRYAS ÀND MOT KÁP WÉSA" (p.146).

Gaules are called GOLA in OLB, but the meaning is not clear.

It is suggested that was the name of the sent priests from Sion. (p.60).

Thanks meanwhile for all the feed :-)

My opinion:

About Chauci: bit troublesome for me how in OLB, unless KAVCH is circumstanced with 'holigan'-like aura but from own people and not bad willed. Hit & Run, Rob & Hood for the good.

Hoaligan, from 'Hoala Goan' -> ik Ga Haal -> the Gaul's

But Schrieck has an idea:

Below his explanation of the

Druides

Druydes, De Ru-Wys'en, Ru from Roe (to rule), Wyse (Wise). "Van de roe krijgen"

Sydon

He explains as 'Sideways', the side (de zijden). Both sides?

Sion

Sie-Hon: Zicht Hoog, High View

NewPicture.png

Druyd2.png

Calais -> Ga-Hal-Is (Is from Is-Land, Eiland)

Missellja (related maybe, Mont Saint Michel, is Is-Land by time)

Messines, as from Mesen now, has nobility with Adela.

For the rest I was amased by the names of Orleans family.

Names with sounds as Wal, War, Lik, Hid, ... are very common there.

Edited by Van Gorp

Work in progress

JRTHA - OLB

earth - english

aarde - dutch

erde - german

ierde - frisian

jord - danish, swedish, norwegian

jörð - icelandic

JRTHA - OLB

erz - german

erts - dutch, frisian

ore - english

brahma.jpg

or - french

oro - italian, spanish

ouro - portuguese

aurum - latin

gold - english

goud - dutch, frisian

guld - danish, swedish

gull - norwegian, icelandic

GOLD - OLB

goldstatue.jpg

gelem (גלם) - (raw material) hebrew

gold.jpg

GÉL - OLB

gult - icelandic

gul - danish, swedish, norwegian

geel - dutch

gelb - german

yellow - english

giallo - italian

giel - frisian

gold_coins.jpg

gol - frisian

gul - dutch

generous - english

zeus_olympia.jpg

geld - dutch, german (dutch pre-euro currency was "gulden")

jild - frisian

money - english

penge - danish

pengar - swedish

penger - norwegian

peningar - icelandic

monnaie/ argent - french

Greek_Gold_Coin.jpg

monnaie/ argent - french

penningen/ munten - dutch

münzen - german

mønter - danish

mynt - icelandic, swedish

mynter - norwegian

coins - english

argent - french

argento - italian

argentum - latin

argentino - spanish

silver - english, swedish

zilver - dutch

silber - german

sølv - danish, norwegian

silfur - icelandic

SULVER/ SILVER - OLB

sulver - frisian

zulver - westfrisian dialect

Gaul - english

Gaule - french

Gallia - latin, norwegian

Gallía - icelandic

Gallië - dutch

Gallien - german, danish, swedish

gaul.jpg

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Golan-mountains: ore- or gold-mining?

goldMine.jpg

Golem/ golum: anthropomorph statue, idol (religious), made of (precious) raw material (gelem) or gold?

Nebuchadnezzar.jpg

GOLA (OLB): priests from Sídon (near Golan-mountains) who introduced idol-worship in (nowaday) France?

Gauls, originally followers of the GOLA, later people from Gaul (Latin: Gallia).

Gollum (Tolkien)

Gollum.jpg

Edited by Otharus

Hey Van Gorp, about those "Chauci" who were the neighbours of the Frisii:

Tsjûke

http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tsj%C3%BBke_en_March

Tsjûke = (female) dog in Frisian, :w00t:

LoL

Now you mention it Abe! And when checking, I saw it lays right aside 't Slaette-mer.

The word **** has maybe some ordinair co-notitie with it,

but nicely spoken Flemish say 'Sjoe-ke' to their liewalingen.

Mon petit chou-chou, quel filou!

LoL

Now you mention it Abe! And when checking, I saw it lays right aside 't Slaette-mer.

The word **** has maybe some ordinair co-notitie with it,

but nicely spoken Flemish say 'Sjoe-ke' to their liewalingen.

Mon petit chou-chou, quel filou!

Nah, it was an explanation about the name of the "Tjeukemeer" or the "Tjeuke Lake", in Friesland.

Two women were walking along together, one carrying a bucket with milk. Then they saw a fire, and the one not carrying anything wanted to use the milk in the bottle of the other woman to extinguish the fire, but the other woman refused. And so she the woman wanting to extinguish the fire called the woman with the milk a "btch", LOL.

Nah, it was an explanation about the name of the "Tjeukemeer" or the "Tjeuker Lake", in Friesland.

Two women were walking along together, one carrying a bucket with milk. Then they saw a fire, and the one not carrying anything wanted to use the milk in the bottle of the other woman to extinguish the fire, but the other woman refused. And so she the woman wanting to extinguish the fire called the woman with the milk a "btch", LOL.

Another thing: I have repeatedly posted here about writers who are convinced Homer's Illias and Odyssey took place in England/North Sea region/the Atlantic (De Grave, Cailleux, Gideon, Wilkins and others) or in the Baltic (Vinci), or in both the Baltic and the North Sea, and the Danish area specifically (Spanuth).

Most base their theories on Homer; it's only Wilkins who considers the OLB to be a reliable source.

OK, some quotes from Wilkin's book (Troy in England):

THE SEA PEOPLES (Thirteenth century BC)

Egyptian names (Likely origin)

Dardany Dardanians (Trojans from England)

Denyen Danaans (Danes, Achaeans from Scandinavia)

Tjekker People from the region of lake Tjeuker

(Frisia, north Netherlands)

Peleset Pelasgians (people from Belgium and northern France)

Shekelesh Sikele (people probably from south-west France)

(1992).

http://phdamste.tripod.com/trojan.html

THE SEA PEOPLES (Thirteenth century BC)

Egyptian names (Likely origin)

Dardany (Dardanians - Trojans from England, Dardanus being an ancestor of King Priam)

Denyen (Danaans - Danes, people from Scandinavia)

Tjekker (People from England, Teucer being an ancestor of King Priam)

Peleset (Pelasgians - "who dwell on the sea" people from the Low Countries)

Shikala (Sikule - "who live on ships", people from western France)

Note: The above table updated to 2005 version.

(...)

As to the date of the Trojan War, it is generally assumed that the event took place around 1200BC although estimates vary widely. Eratosthenes placed the destruction of Troy in 1184BC on genealogical grounds. This comes quite close to the date of Odysseus' visit to the Low Countries just after the destruction of Troy as recorded by the Frisian Oera Linda Book, better known in England under the title 'The Other Atlantis'. Converted to the Christian calendar this would have been in 1188BC, implying that the war had started in 1198BC, a date also compatible with the foundation of New Troy around 1100BC by Aeneas' great-grandson.

http://www.troy-in-england.co.uk/trojan-kings-of-england/trojan-kings-of-england.htm

-

Pelasgians = flatlanders/sea people:

Julius Pokorny[9] derives Pelasgoi from *pelag-skoi (Flachlandbewohner, or "flatland-inhabitants"); specifically, Bewohner der thessalischen Ebene ("Inhabitants of the Thessalian plain"). The Indo-European root is *plāk-, "flat."[10] Pokorny details a previous derivation, which appears in English at least as early as William Gladstone's Studies on Homer and the Homeric Age, 1858.[11] If the Pelasgians were not Indo-Europeans, the name in this derivation must have been assigned by the Hellenes.

The ancient Greek word for sea, pelagos, comes from the same root, *plāk-, as the Doric word plagos, "side" (which is flat), appearing in *pelag-skoi. Ernest Klein therefore simply interprets the same reconstructed form as "the sea men", where the sea is the flat.[12]

Klein's interpretation does not require the Indo-Europeans to have had a word for sea, which living on the inland plains (if they did) they are likely to have lacked. On encountering the sea they simply used the word for plain, "the flat." The flatlanders also could acquire what must have been to the Hellenes a homonym, "the sea men". Best of all, if the Egyptians of the Late Bronze Age encountered maritime marauders under this name they would have translated as Sea peoples.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pelasgians

-

The conventional explanation for the reliefs of Medinet Habu is that a mass migration of Pereset (Peleset, or Philistines) and other seafaring peoples swept destructively around the eastern Mediterraean basin in the early 12th century BCE. Supposedly they fled some vague turmoil in the Aegean area, ravaged the Hittite empire, destroyed cities on the coast of Syria, and invaded Egypt but were repelled by Ramses III. The Egyptian word for Pereset (basically P-r-s-t) can be interpreted as either Pereset or Peleset because the hieroglyph for “r” could be pronounced as an “l”. However, it was usual to read the hieroglyph as an “r”. The preferred reading of the Egyptian word would be Pereset, not Peleset, but for more than a century, the identification of the Pereset with the biblical Philistines has led many scholars to write the word as Peleset. This identification appears to have been a huge mistake.

http://drchris.me/higgaion/?p=1192

From what I learned surfing the web, many think the "Prst" were the Persians.

Well, knowing you all want to find a reference to the Frisians in ancient manuscripts, I assume you would like to equate the "Prst" with these Frisians.

But hey, did the Frisians - or better, Frya's People - carry that name, Frisian (or something sounding similar), around 1300 BC (Medinet Habu)?? Or around 800 BC (Homer)?

You will remember that the OLB tells us Frya's People carried MANY NAMES...

Edited by Abramelin

Page 20 of the OLB ends with this line:

mark_ield_tiandela

http://rodinbook.nl/olboriginelepaginering.html

Where does that line show up in the translation on your site, Menno?

Or look at the bottom of the original page 20 here:

http://images.tresoar.nl/bibl-collectie/boeken/oeralinda/groot/pagina.php?p=22&pm=212

+++

EDIT:

Either Ottema or Sandbach left it out.

But I found out you added the line:

[M 20]

6 . [bLANC LINE]

01 EK ÐORP SKIL EN HEMRIK HÆVA NEI SINA BIHOF ÆND

02 ÐENE GREVA SKIL NJVDA ÐAT ALRA EK SIN DEL

03 BIDONGÐ ÆND GOD HALD TILÐJU ÐA ÆFTER KVM

04 - MANDE NEN SKÆDE NAVT NE LYDA NE MUGE .

05 7 .

06 EK ÐORP MEI EN MÆARK HAVA TO KAP ÆND TO VR

07 KAP IEFTA TO WANDELJA . ALLE ‘T ORA LAND SKIL

08 BVW ÆND WALD BILYVA . ÐA ÐA BAMA ÐERA NE

09 MEI NIMMAN NAVT FÆLLA . BUTA MENA REDA

10 ÆND BUTA WETA ÐES WALD-GREVA HWAND

11 ÐA WALDA SEND TO MENA NIÐA . ÐERVMBE NE

12 MEI NIMMAN ÐER MÆSTER OF SA . [p. 32]

13 8 .

14 AS MÆRKJELD NE MEI ÐÆT ÐORP NAVT MAR NI

15 NIMMA SA ÐA TILLIFTE DEL FON ÐA S / K / AT HOR

16 FON ÐA INHEMAR NER FON ÐA FER-HEMANDE .

17 AK NE MEI ÐA MÆRK SKAT NAVT ER VRSELLAÐ

18 NE WERÐA AS ÐÆT ORA GOD .

19 9 .

20 ALLE ‘T MÆRKJELD MOT JERLIKES DELAÐ WRDE

21 ÐRJA DEGAN FAR ÐERE JOLDEI AN HVNDRED

22 DELUN TO DELANDE .

23 10 .

24 ÐI GREVETMAN MIT SINUM GREVUM SKIL

25 ÐER OF BURA TWINTICH DELA ÐENE MÆRK RJUCH

26 - TER / TIAN DELA / ÆND SINUM HELPAR FIF DELA . ÐJU FOLKES-

27 MODER EN DEL ÐJU GA MODER FJVWER DE

28 - LA ÐÆT ÐORP TIAN DELA ÐA ÆRMA ÐÆT IS

29 ÐERA ÐAM NAVT WÆRKA NI KUNNA NI MUGE

30 FIFTICH DELA .

31 11 .

32 ÐERA ÐAM TO MÆRKA KVMA NE MUGON

/MARK-IELD . TIAN DELA /

http://rodinbook.nl/olbmanuscript.html

That would mean more than 32 lines on a page...

Edited by Abramelin

Otharus, I have lot more to tell you all about these "Fin", but I better wait till next day, heh.

I do not want to post something that makes me look like a dork again.

Well, if you don't want to wait, Google "Paabo" AND "Boat-people" AND "Inuit", all that together in one Google search.

Swede once said the guy who created that 'Paabo' website was 'just' an artist, but I can tell you here and now: the Paabo guy (a Finn) may not be a scientist, but sure as hell he is not stupid.

Abe - Have not questioned Paabo's intellect. That said, his research may be a "bit" questionable. Do not know if you have fully explored his rather voluminous works. Found this one to be particularly troubling:

www.paabo.ca/uirala/uina-altaskinboat.html

Should this connection not work, this piece can be traced via:

http://www.paabo.ca/uirala/index.html

Click on Part Three and follow.

Page 20 of the OLB ends with this line:

mark_ield_tiandela

http://rodinbook.nl/...paginering.html

Where does that line show up in the translation on your site, Menno?

Or look at the bottom of the original page 20 here:

http://images.tresoa...php?p=22&pm=212

+++

EDIT:

Either Ottema or Sandbach left it out.

But I found out you added the line:

[M 20]

6 . [bLANC LINE]

01 EK ÐORP SKIL EN HEMRIK HÆVA NEI SINA BIHOF ÆND

02 ÐENE GREVA SKIL NJVDA ÐAT ALRA EK SIN DEL

03 BIDONGÐ ÆND GOD HALD TILÐJU ÐA ÆFTER KVM

04 - MANDE NEN SKÆDE NAVT NE LYDA NE MUGE .

05 7 .

06 EK ÐORP MEI EN MÆARK HAVA TO KAP ÆND TO VR

07 KAP IEFTA TO WANDELJA . ALLE 'T ORA LAND SKIL

08 BVW ÆND WALD BILYVA . ÐA ÐA BAMA ÐERA NE

09 MEI NIMMAN NAVT FÆLLA . BUTA MENA REDA

10 ÆND BUTA WETA ÐES WALD-GREVA HWAND

11 ÐA WALDA SEND TO MENA NIÐA . ÐERVMBE NE

12 MEI NIMMAN ÐER MÆSTER OF SA . [p. 32]

13 8 .

14 AS MÆRKJELD NE MEI ÐÆT ÐORP NAVT MAR NI

15 NIMMA SA ÐA TILLIFTE DEL FON ÐA S / K / AT HOR

16 FON ÐA INHEMAR NER FON ÐA FER-HEMANDE .

17 AK NE MEI ÐA MÆRK SKAT NAVT ER VRSELLAÐ

18 NE WERÐA AS ÐÆT ORA GOD .

19 9 .

20 ALLE 'T MÆRKJELD MOT JERLIKES DELAÐ WRDE

21 ÐRJA DEGAN FAR ÐERE JOLDEI AN HVNDRED

22 DELUN TO DELANDE .

23 10 .

24 ÐI GREVETMAN MIT SINUM GREVUM SKIL

25 ÐER OF BURA TWINTICH DELA ÐENE MÆRK RJUCH

26 - TER / TIAN DELA / ÆND SINUM HELPAR FIF DELA . ÐJU FOLKES-

27 MODER EN DEL ÐJU GA MODER FJVWER DE

28 - LA ÐÆT ÐORP TIAN DELA ÐA ÆRMA ÐÆT IS

29 ÐERA ÐAM NAVT WÆRKA NI KUNNA NI MUGE

30 FIFTICH DELA .

31 11 .

32 ÐERA ÐAM TO MÆRKA KVMA NE MUGON

/MARK-IELD . TIAN DELA /

http://rodinbook.nl/olbmanuscript.html

That would mean more than 32 lines on a page...

As you see I have put / MARK-IELD . TIAN DELA / between /../, which means that it is a correction to the text as is shown by the preceding correction mark .Besides corrections are not placed in the beginning of a new line, but in the middle or at the end in te lower margin. Corrections are not counted as separate lines. You find the correction mark in line 26. This line should then read: 26 - TER ÆND SINUM HELPAR FIF DELA . /MARK-IELD . TIAN DELA / ÐJU FOLKES- but appears to be corrupted as it does not say for whom the money is intended. I suppose, that the correction mark has been badly placed and should follow RJUCHTER, who else would not get any money. This is confirmed by the below account.

PS It is interesting to read, that the Pre-Roman old Frisians used the Roman decimals and that half of the money went to the poor (Hegel ?). Grouw, the small town, where the Halbertsma's lived is known as a red town.

Account

Grevetman 20

Maerkrjuchter 10

Helpar 5

Folksmoder 1

Ga - moder 4

Thorp 10

------

Aerma 50

-----

Total 100

Edited by Knul

As you see I have put / MARK-IELD . TIAN DELA / between /../, which means that it is a correction to the text as is shown by the preceding correction mark .Besides corrections are not placed in the beginning of a new line, but in the middle or at the end in te lower margin. Corrections are not counted as separate lines. You find the correction mark in line 26. This line should then read: 26 - TER ÆND SINUM HELPAR FIF DELA . /MARK-IELD . TIAN DELA / ÐJU FOLKES- but appears to be corrupted as it does not say for whom the money is intended. I suppose, that the correction mark has been badly placed and should follow RJUCHTER, who else would not get any money. This is confirmed by the below account.

PS It is interesting to read, that the Pre-Roman old Frisians used the Roman decimals and that half of the money went to the poor (Hegel ?). Grouw, the small town, where the Halbertsma's lived is known as a red town.

Account

Grevetman 20

Maerkrjuchter 10

Helpar 5

Folksmoder 1

Ga - moder 4

Thorp 10

------

Aerma 50

-----

Total 100

Yes, it appears the copying was done in a hurry when you consider the many mistakes and spelling errors and things that were left/forgotten.

But this I don't get: you said, "the Pre-Roman old Frisians used the Roman decimals". No they didn't they used decimals, not Roman decimals. Even their ciphers are based on the decimal system ( = based on 10 ), but the way they are written is obviously based on the medieval Hindu-Arab ciphers.

I think it were the Gauls who used a sytem based on 20: a remnant of that system can still be found in for instance French: quatre-vingt = 4 x 20 = 80. I think the Germans already used the decimal system during or before Roman times.

++++++

EDIT:

Dunno, but I think I was wrong with Germans using the decimal system (base 10):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vigesimal#In_Europe

The vigesimal system appears to have been widely used all over Europe.

Edited by Abramelin

Abe - Have not questioned Paabo's intellect. That said, his research may be a "bit" questionable. Do not know if you have fully explored his rather voluminous works. Found this one to be particularly troubling:

www.paabo.ca/uirala/uina-altaskinboat.html

Should this connection not work, this piece can be traced via:

http://www.paabo.ca/uirala/index.html

Click on Part Three and follow.

No Swede, I know you didn't question his intelligence, but the guy is also not like 'our' Sitchin or a Von Däniken.

But he does base a lot of his interpretation on names of people, while genetics does not seem to support his ideas.

It all looks very 'possible' without any real proof, much like Thor Heyerdahls's theories.

I posted about the linguist Theo Vennemann before, but in connection with the OLB "GOLA" (from Sidon) the next is worth a repeat:

* Punic, the Semitic language spoken in classical Carthage, is a superstratum of the Germanic languages. According to Vennemann, Carthaginians colonized the North Sea region between the 6th and 3rd centuries BC; this is evidenced by numerous Semitic loan words in the Germanic languages, as well as structural features such as strong verbs, and similarities between Norse religion and Semitic religion. This theory replaces his older theory of a superstratum of an unknown Semitic language called "Atlantic".

* Semitic is a substratum of the Celtic languages, as shown by certain structural features of Celtic, especially their lack of external possessors.

* The Runic alphabet is derived directly from the Phoenician alphabet used by the Carthaginians, without intervention by the Greek alphabet.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theo_Vennemann

Punic would be - according to Vennemann - a language that sort of added 'frosting' (= superstratum) to the 'cake' of Germanic languages.

But Semitic would be at the basis of Celtic languges (= substratum) in general.

But we should not forget his theories are considered controversial.

Yes, it appears the copying was done in a hurry when you consider the many mistakes and spelling errors and things that were left/forgotten.

But this I don't get: you said, "the Pre-Roman old Frisians used the Roman decimals". No they didn't they used decimals, not Roman decimals. Even their ciphers are based on the decimal system ( = based on 10 ), but the way they are written is obviously based on the medieval Hindu-Arab ciphers.

I think it were the Gauls who used a sytem based on 20: a remnant of that system can still be found in for instance French: quatre-vingt = 4 x 20 = 80. I think the Germans already used the decimal system during or before Roman times.

++++++

EDIT:

Dunno, but I think I was wrong with Germans using the decimal system (base 10):

http://en.wikipedia....simal#In_Europe

The vigesimal system appears to have been widely used all over Europe.

According to the OLB the Frisians were there long before the Gauls, the Celts and the Romans. How could they use the vigesimal Gallic or Roman decimal system ? As far as the Gauls are concerned. Didn't they derive their name from Gallus = Haan ?

Edited by Knul

According to the OLB the Frisians were there long before the Gauls, the Celts and the Romans. How could they use the vigesimal Gallic or Roman decimal system ? As far as the Gauls are concerned. Didn't they derive their name from Gallus = Haan ?

You can find people using the vigesimal system all over the world and in ancient time (10 fingers + 10 toes = 20 digits).

And you keep saying "Roman decimal system", but I'm sure you mean "decimal system".

=

Gauls from Gallus is nothing but 'folk etymology', later adopted by the French.

Gallic

1670s, from L. Gallicus "pertaining to Gaul or the Gauls," from L. Gallia "Gaul" and Gallus "a Gaul" from a native Celtic name (see Gaelic), though some connect the word with prehistoric W.Gmc. *walkhoz "foreigners" (see Welsh). Originally used in English rhetorically or mockingly for "French." The rooster as a symbol of France is based on the pun of Gallus "a Gaul" and L. gallus "rooster."

http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?search=gallus

From the OLB:

Tha Gola, alsa heton tha saendalinga prestera Sydon-is.

Dutch: De Gola, alzo heten de zendeling priesters Sydon's.

English: The Gola, as the missionary priests of Sydon were called.

תרנגול (tarnegól) m.

Of Sumerian: Tarlugal (Bird of the King), loaned by Assyrian and onwards to Talmudic Hebrew.

1.rooster, c.ock, chicken

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/%D7%AA%D7%A8%D7%A0%D7%92%D7%95%D7%9C

Edited by Abramelin

60 User(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 59 guests, 1 anonymous users.

59 guests, Otharus.... think, please.

And that one 'anonymous' user is ME.

Edited by Abramelin

Gallic

1670s, from L. Gallicus "pertaining to Gaul or the Gauls," from L. Gallia "Gaul" and Gallus "a Gaul" from a native Celtic name (see Gaelic), though some connect the word with prehistoric W.Gmc. *walkhoz "foreigners" (see Welsh). Originally used in English rhetorically or mockingly for "French." The rooster as a symbol of France is based on the pun of Gallus "a Gaul" and L. gallus "rooster."

http://www.etymonlin...p?search=gallus

From the OLB:

Tha Gola, alsa heton tha saendalinga prestera Sydon-is.

Dutch: De Gola, alzo heten de zendeling priesters Sydon's.

English: The Gola, as the missionary priests of Sydon were called.

תרנגול (tarnegól) m.

Of Sumerian: Tarlugal (Bird of the King), loaned by Assyrian and onwards to Talmudic Hebrew.

1.rooster, c.ock, chicken

http://en.wiktionary...%92%D7%95%D7%9C

I came across a very interesting publication on the item Gola Gallus. s. http://books.google....iesters&f=false see page 162 line 2 and 5, which will certainly clarify the matter. When you look at this book, please have a look on page 5 (*) as well about the name of the Celts and Gauls. On page 39 the flood of 1220 BC is mentioned. Unfortunately the book is in Dutch.

GALLUS (Γάλλος: Lefke), a small river of Bithynia, having its sources near Modra in the north of Phrygia, and emptying itself into the Sangarius a little more than 300 stadia from Nicomedeia, (Strab. xii. p.543.) Ammianus Marcellinus describes its course as very winding (26.8). Martianus Capella (6.687, ed. Kopp) confounds this river with another of the same name in Galatia, which seems likewise to have been a tributary of the Sangarius, and on the banks of which Pessinus is said to have been situated, From the river Gallus in Galatia the Galli, or priests of Cybele, were said by some to have derived their name, because its water made those who drank of it mad. (Steph. B. sub voce Plin. Nat. 5.42, 6.1, 31.5; Herodian, 1.11; Ov. Fast. 4.364.) s. Dictionary of Greek and Roman Geography, illustrated by numerous engravings on wood. William Smith, LLD. London. Walton and Maberly, Upper Gower Street and Ivy Lane, Paternoster Row; John Murray, Albemarle Street. 1854.

In: Lacus Curtius: http://penelope.uchi...GRA*/Galli.html

Galli

Article by Leonhard Schmitz, Ph.D., F.R.S.E., Rector of the High School of Edinburgh

on pp566‑567 of

William Smith, D.C.L., LL.D.:

A Dictionary of Greek and Roman Antiquities, John Murray, London, 1875.

<p class="start justify">GALLI, the priests of Cybele, whose worship was introduced at Rome from Phrygia, in B.C. 204 (Liv. XXIX.10, 14, XXXVI.36). The Galli were, according to an ancient custom, always castrated (spadones, semimares, semivir, nec viri nec feminae), and it would seem that impelled by religious fanaticism they performed this operation on themselves (Juv. VI.512, &c.; Ovid, Fast. IV.237; Martial, III.81, XI.74; Plin. H. N. XI.49). In their wild, enthusiastic, and boisterous rites, they resembled the Corybantes (Lucan. I.565, &c.; compare Hilaria), and even went further, in as much, as in their fury, they mutilated their own bodies (Propert. II.18.15). They seem to have been always chosen from a poor and despised class of people, for while no other priests were allowed to beg, the Galli (famuli Idaeae matris) were allowed to do so on certain days (Cic. de Leg. II.9 and 16). The chief priest among them was called archigallus (Servius, ad Aen. IX.116). The origin of the name of Galli is uncertain; according to Festus, (s.v.), Ovid (Fast. IV.363), and others, it was derived from the river Gallus in Phrygia, which flowed near the temple of Cybele, and the water of which was fabled to put those persons who drank of it into such a state of madness, that they castrated themselves (Compare Plin. H. N. V.42, XI.40, XXXI.2; Herodian. 11). The supposition of Hieronymus (Cap. Oseae, 4) that Galli was the name of the Gauls, which had been given to these priests by the Romans in order to show their contempt of that nation, is unfounded, as the Romans must have received the name from Asia, or from the Greeks, by whom, as Suidas (s.v.) informs us, Gallus was used as a common noun in the sense of eunuch. There exists a verb gallare, which signifies to rage (insanare, bacchari), and p567which occurs in one of the fragments of Varro (p273, ed. Bip.) and in the Antholog. Lat. vol. I p34, ed. Burmann.

THERE IS NOTHING THAT REFERS GALLUS TO GOLEM.

Edited by Knul

I came across a very interesting publication on the item Gola Gallus. s. http://books.google....iesters&f=false see page 162 line 2 and 5, which will certainly clarify the matter. When you look at this book, please have a look on page 5 (*) as well about the name of the Celts and Gauls. On page 39 the flood of 1220 BC is mentioned. Unfortunately the book is in Dutch.

GALLUS (Γάλλος: Lefke), a small river of Bithynia, having its sources near Modra in the north of Phrygia, and emptying itself into the Sangarius a little more than 300 stadia from Nicomedeia, (Strab. xii. p.543.) Ammianus Marcellinus describes its course as very winding (26.8). Martianus Capella (6.687, ed. Kopp) confounds this river with another of the same name in Galatia, which seems likewise to have been a tributary of the Sangarius, and on the banks of which Pessinus is said to have been situated, From the river Gallus in Galatia the Galli, or priests of Cybele, were said by some to have derived their name, because its water made those who drank of it mad. (Steph. B. sub voce Plin. Nat. 5.42, 6.1, 31.5; Herodian, 1.11; Ov. Fast. 4.364.) s. Dictionary of Greek and Roman Geography, illustrated by numerous engravings on wood. William Smith, LLD. London. Walton and Maberly, Upper Gower Street and Ivy Lane, Paternoster Row; John Murray, Albemarle Street. 1854.

In: Lacus Curtius: http://penelope.uchi...GRA*/Galli.html

Galli

Article by Leonhard Schmitz, Ph.D., F.R.S.E., Rector of the High School of Edinburgh

on pp566‑567 of

William Smith, D.C.L., LL.D.:

A Dictionary of Greek and Roman Antiquities, John Murray, London, 1875.

<p class="start justify">GALLI, the priests of Cybele, whose worship was introduced at Rome from Phrygia, in B.C. 204 (Liv. XXIX.10, 14, XXXVI.36). The Galli were, according to an ancient custom, always castrated (spadones, semimares, semivir, nec viri nec feminae), and it would seem that impelled by religious fanaticism they performed this operation on themselves (Juv. VI.512, &c.; Ovid, Fast. IV.237; Martial, III.81, XI.74; Plin. H. N. XI.49). In their wild, enthusiastic, and boisterous rites, they resembled the Corybantes (Lucan. I.565, &c.; compare Hilaria), and even went further, in as much, as in their fury, they mutilated their own bodies (Propert. II.18.15). They seem to have been always chosen from a poor and despised class of people, for while no other priests were allowed to beg, the Galli (famuli Idaeae matris) were allowed to do so on certain days (Cic. de Leg. II.9 and 16). The chief priest among them was called archigallus (Servius, ad Aen. IX.116). The origin of the name of Galli is uncertain; according to Festus, (s.v.), Ovid (Fast. IV.363), and others, it was derived from the river Gallus in Phrygia, which flowed near the temple of Cybele, and the water of which was fabled to put those persons who drank of it into such a state of madness, that they castrated themselves (Compare Plin. H. N. V.42, XI.40, XXXI.2; Herodian. 11). The supposition of Hieronymus (Cap. Oseae, 4) that Galli was the name of the Gauls, which had been given to these priests by the Romans in order to show their contempt of that nation, is unfounded, as the Romans must have received the name from Asia, or from the Greeks, by whom, as Suidas (s.v.) informs us, Gallus was used as a common noun in the sense of eunuch. There exists a verb gallare, which signifies to rage (insanare, bacchari), and p567which occurs in one of the fragments of Varro (p273, ed. Bip.) and in the Antholog. Lat. vol. I p34, ed. Burmann.

THERE IS NOTHING THAT REFERS GALLUS TO GOLEM.

Interesting book, Menno.

However, the flood you say happened in 1220 BC most probably happened 1220 years after the Creation; it doesn't say BC (or "voor Christus" in Dutch).

And yes, I don't think GOLEM will really bring us any further.

But I think the link between the OLB "GOLA" from Sidon are/were the Jews.

Edited by Abramelin

Something better (and I already posted about the next guy in post 463, page 31):

-In 1999 pubiceerde Joël Vandemaele in zijn boek "Controversiele Geschiedenis" zijn onderzoek naar de plaatsen die genoemd worden in het Oera Linda Boek, in relatie tot plaatsen in het huidige Noord Frankrijk en West-Vlaanderen. Mede gebaseerd op de studies van Albert Delahay en anderen. (zie kaart)

In his book "Controversial History" (1999), Joel Vandemaele published his research on the places mentioned in the Oera Linda Book, in relation to current locations in present Northern France and Western Flanders. Partly based on the studies of Albert Delahay and others. (see map)

atlantis.oera.linda.vandemaele.jpg

http://home.planet.nl/~zeven230/geo.5.atlantis.htm

==

-J.Vandemaele vermeldt één plaatsbepaling in het OLB van Atlantis, "Ons voormalige westland, rechtover Brittannia gelegen" De plaatsbepaling correspondeert met Oud-Frisia "usque ad Armorem" uit Karel de Grote's Lex Frisonum, nl. tot aan Bretagne met de nederzetting van Kerenak of Carnac, waar "het goud van de Golen verzameld was, dat Askar uit OLB ging roven".

J. Vandemaele lists one location of Atlantis in the OLB, "Our former Westland, located directly opposite Britannia". The location corresponds to Old Frisia 'usque ad Armorem" from Charlemagne's Lex Frisonum, namely up to Brittany with the settlement Kerenak or Carnac, where "the gold of the Gauls had been collected, which Askar from the OLB was going to rob"

http://www.kunstgeografie.nl/atlantis/atlantis05.htm

Joël Vandemaele, "Controversiele Geschiedenis" :

http://www.mens-en-cultuur-uitgevers.be/boeken/controversiele-geschiedenis/controversiele-geschiedschrijving/

I discovered Vandemeale's location of "Atlantis" (oh, help...not again) is based on either a misspelling, or on cleverly adding one extra letter...

There is no "usque ad Armorem" to be found in Charlemagne's Lex Frisionum (and not "Frisonum").

http://www.keesn.nl/lex/

http://www.keesn.nl/lex/lex_en_text.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lex_Frisionum

But there is an "usque ad Amorem" :

http://www.keesn.nl/ewaadamorem/

The Amor area has nothing to do with Armorica as Vandemaele wants it to be:

ewa_map.gif

Edited by Abramelin

I have often wondered why nothing about the ancient history and myths of Ireland shows up in the OLB...

Well, maybe because the OLB.... had an Irish predecessor??

Chronicles of Eri: being the history of the Gaal Sciot Iber/ Volume 1 - Roger O'Connor, 1822

http://books.google.nl/books?id=gSAvAAAAMAAJ&printsec=frontcover&dq=inauthor:%22Roger+O'+Connor%22&hl=nl&sa=X&ei=nLpDT76DOMWe-waL4pC2BQ&ved=0CDIQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=dover&f=false

This O'Connor claims to have found very ancient manuscripts....

post-18246-0-75729300-1329840065_thumb.j

post-18246-0-46968400-1329840756_thumb.j

And I found it by accident because I was looking for an English translation of this German book that was published in 1887 (use Google Translator):

Die Gaelischen Annalen. Nach der Übertragung O'Connor's (Gebundene Ausgabe)

http://www.amazon.de/review/RVD9LS6GL50J2

Armanen Verlag, ca. 96 Seiten, Faksimile-Ausgabe der 2. Auflage von 1887

5000 Jahre vorgeschichtliche Chronik der Kelten. Aus den geheimen Aufzeichnungen einer irischen Sippe

von O'Connor, mit Erläuterungen von Wilhelm Obermüller

Armanen

Wohl eine der größten Raritäten auf dem antiquarischen Buchmarkt sind die zuletzt im Jahr 1887 in Wien erschienenen 'Gaelischen Annalen' nach der Übertragung O'Connors. Es handelt sich bei diesen 'Jahrbüchern der Gaelag' um eine uralte Chronik altkeltischer bzw. vorkeltischer Stämme, die eine ebenso abenteuerliche Geschichte hinter sich haben, und denen auch eine ähnliche Bedeutung zukommt wie der berühmten 'Ura-Linda-Chronik' in der Übertragung von Prof. Hermann Wirth.

Da diese Jahrbücher weit in die vorchristliche Zeit vorgreifen, erhellen sie weithin unbekannte Teile der alt- bzw. vorkeltischen Stammes- und Siedlungsgeschichte, verbunden mit genauen Angaben der Regierungszeiten und Namen der Herrscherhäuser, der Sitten und des Brauchtums, in den Räumen Großbritanniens, Vorderasiens, des Kaukasus bis hin nach Spanien und dem Baskenlande.

In diesen Jahrbüchern, die mit dem Jahre 1006 v. Chr (BC). abschließen, erscheinen nur, auf das genaueste eingetragen, wichtigste Ereignisse, wie z.B. der Durchbruch der Landenge von Calais, wodurch sich der 'Ärmelkanal' bildete, u.v.a.

+++++++++++++++

EDIT:

The next may give you a headache, but it is about the contents of this book:

Chronicles of Eri: History of the Gaal Sciot Iber or the Irish People, translated from the original Manuscripts (1822):

CONTENTS: A demonstration, vol. 1, pp.i-cccxii; The Writings of Eolus, vol. 1, pp.1-99 [conclusion of chronicle of Gaelag]. Demonstration contains sects. 1] a demonstration of the original seat, nations, and tribes of the Scythian race. 2] from the eariest accounts of the existence of this earth to the founding of Babel 3] from the dismemberment of the anc. Scyhtin empire, and the building of Bab-el by the Assyrians, in 246, to the expulsion of the shepherd chiefs from Egypt, and their arrival in Pelesgia and Ceropeia, in about 1100 before Christ. 4] Of all the Scythian tribes that emigrated to the Isles of the Gentiles, south of the Ister, from the Euxine, East to the Rhoetian Alps, and Panonia West to the extremity of Greece South, from the year 2170 to the birth of Christ. 5] Of the Scythian tribes that colonised th districts of Europe, from the western extremity of Itlay, and the Rhoetian Alps, to the German Ocean, between the rivers Danube, and Rhin, north and the Garonne south. 6] Of the Goths 7] Of the Scythian sidonians in Spain 8] Of the Scythian tribes in the Isle of Britain 10] Of all the nations of Europe, antecedently to the invasion of the Scythians. 11] Of the Manners, Customs, Original Institutions, and Religion of the Scythian race 12] Of the language of the Scythian Race. Conclusion, cccxlix [continuous roman pagination in two vols.] Dedicatory letter to Sir Francis Burdett, speaks of putting evidence of the ‘the last conspiracy against my life and honour, by agents of an oligarchy’ and the revolution; ‘the iron-hand of despotism; seeks a ‘fostering hand’ for his children; also speaks of ‘my gallant boy’ into whose hands Burdett placed his first weapon with instructions to use it against ‘tyranny and oppression’; ‘your never-failing advocacy and vindication of the Irish people, has endeared you to all our hearts.’ [v] Preface: fourth attempt … to present to the world a faithful history of my country … immured in prison … 1798 and 1799 charged by the oligarchy of English with the foul crime of treason, because I would not disgrace my name by the acceptance of an earldom and a pension, to b paid by the peopl whom I was courted to desert, and because I resisted every art to induce me to become a traitor to my beloved Eri … Fort George, Scotland … again writing’. He gives an account of the successive destructions of the manuscript. He reports that a third version perished with his belongings in the fire at the castle of Dangan in 1809. ‘[of] l iberty we wild Irish have none to lose’ [ix] Burdett arrives in Ireland, 1817. ‘This history is a literal translation into the English tongue (from the Phoenician dialect of the Scythian language) of the ancient manuscripts which have, fortunately for the world, been preserved through so many ages, chances and vicissitudes.’ [ix] ‘… I do not presume to affirm that the very skins, whether of sheep or of goats, are of a date so old as the events recorded; but this I will assert, that they must be faithful transcripts from the most ancient records; it not being within the range of possibility, either from their style, language, or contents, tht they could have been forged’ [ix] Comments on FLOOD: ‘So fully sensible was a man of Ireland, who far surpassed all his contemporaries, and in truth, most men, I allude to Henry Flood, that if encouragement were given to bring to light and investigate ancient records of Ireland, still existing, that would be the means of diffusing great knowledge of the antique world … so convinced was he, I say, of this fact, by means of deep reseaches he had made, that he bequathd the whole of his large possessions for the purpose of instituting professorships in the Univ. of Dublin, for th perpetuation of the Irish lande, and the purchase of manuscripts therein. In this magnificent design, his views were unfortunately frustrated by the contemptible policy of an incubus that hath long over-lain unhappy Eri; for, a claimant was set up to the estates of the philosophic doctor, to who they were accordingly decreed!’ […] O’CONNOR, Paris, 1821. On p.vi of his first chapter, O’Connor introduces his narrator, Eolus, who lived 50 years later than Moses, and was chief of the Gaal or Sciot of Iber within Gaelag, between 1368 and 1335 b.c. There is much reliance on Herodotus, Strabo, Thucydides, Polybius, etc. [Compares modern day writers to ‘the manner of Anglo Irish juries, who submit their oath to the arbitrament of chance © lxxi; a note relates that in a case of damages, the value is fixed between the highest and lowest sum named by the Anglo-Irish jurymen on their oaths]. Throughout, O’Connor makes extensive use of analogies and homologies between Irish [i.e., Eri, dialect of the Scythians] and Greek and Roman names. For instance, he glosses Greek Ogyges, ‘supposed to be an individual, a king of Attica, in 1766, before Christ: ‘Og-eag-eis, ‘the diminution of Og’s multitude’, the explanation heretofore given on this head, has, it is to be hoped, confuted all the fabulous relations, and demonstrated the fact; it is to be farther remarked, that the nae of Og-eag-ia hath been applied to Eri, from tradition, and frgments of old poems, at a time, and by men, who had no idea of founding s system thereon, but merely because th fact of the Gaal of Sciot having emigrated from Ib-er, which was one of the nations of Magh-Og, has never been lost sight of, and you will find by the chronicles of the Iberian races in Spain, they called themselves Og-eag-eis, and Noe-maid-eis.’ [clxxiii]. The name Bosphoros is glosses as ‘Cos-foras’, compound of Cos, or the foot, and Foras, a wa through or over the water [idem]; Maes-ia, glossed ‘Meas-iath, the land of acorns’ [clxxx]. On p.clxxxvii following he lists ‘a variety of words in th dialectics of Greece, Italy, and eri, of the same signification in all, wherefrom you will have an opportunity of witnessing that the dialects of greece and Eri bear a nearer resemblance to each other … &c’. Examples are Aggelos, Giola; Akrasia, Craos [gluttony]; airesis, airioch-seis [election]; amnes[t]ia, main-aide [out of mind]; eros, er [hero]; kalon, glan [neat]; kiste, ciste [chest]; lauros, go leor [abundant]; lithos, liath [stone]; phero, bear-im ; pornos, foirneadh [violent passion or inclination, i.e., adultery—O’Connor cites Matt. 5.28]; Selene, Sul-lu-aine-e, ‘It is the light of the lesser orb or ring’; Phos, fos [light]. Vol 1 contains the Chronicle of Gaelag, being prior to the arrival in Ireland. Eolus is made to count years of reigns as ‘rings’. Vol. 2 contains the Chronicles of Eri, Part II; commencing with ‘the annals of Eri’. A Frontispiece folding map shows Ireland with selection of ancient names inc. provinces. ‘What if this land, standing alone, an island, be called ERI for times to come? [7] … this place is too large for one chief’ [8] The final chapter of the narrative of Eolus takes events up to ‘the reign of Factna, the son of Cas, the son of Ruidhruide Mor king in Ulladh, Ardri, a space of one score and three years, from 30 to the year 7 before Christ.’ After a chronology extending across the full world-history involved, O’Connor ends:‘And now I take my leave for the present, wishing health and happiness to all the good people of the earth, and speedy amendmnt to the vicious; and if my health will prmit (I shall certainly carry the victory over my adverse circumstances), I hope early in the year that is to ensue, to present the world with a continuation of the history of my adored Eri.’ [End]

http://www.ricorso.net/rx/az-data/authors/o/OConnor_R1/life.htm#Chronicles

Edited by Abramelin

And here is the German translation/editon, published in 1838:

http://books.google.nl/books?id=I-I9AAAAcAAJ&pg=PA60&lpg=PA60&dq=%22eolus%22+1368+1335&source=bl&ots=vJphMdyGyn&sig=q0UeQNzYbu5ytBLmqd6e4LnL0cQ&hl=nl&sa=X&ei=RtVDT5qiEMeY-wb50v3HBQ&ved=0CCUQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=%22eolus%22%201368%201335&f=false

+++

EDIT:

And you can download the original, 1822 Irish version from here:

17.5 MB (496 pages):

http://digital.nls.uk/dc6/7852/78526210.pdf

post-18246-0-53785300-1329847466_thumb.j

Edited by Abramelin

post-18246-0-32043600-1329849595_thumb.j

2170 BC.

Now that is conveniently close (a generation only) to the 2194 BC date.

+++++

EDIT:

Are there no Irish (or Scots) around to comment on this book written/published by O'Connor in 1822 ??

It is YOUR early version of the "Oera Linda Book", ok?

Edited by Abramelin