Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

[Archived]Oera Linda Book and the Great Flood

Riaan

Concerning the Faroe Islands...

In POST 25 Alewyn mentions the Farao Islands, and thinks it was the Frisland Island that the Zeno brothers had put on a map, but no one was able to find again.

Some say it was a hoax, some say it was a mis-interpretation of an older map, and so on.

And maybe you will remember that I said in the Doggerland thread that the Zeno brothers may have heard of this Frisland island in some North European harbour, had no clue where it was located, and then just put it in the North Atlantic. I had hoped that this Frisland was nothing but a real ancient myth about Dogger Island, it did have the same size.

But I found a much more reasonable explanation for Alewyn's suggestion ( => Frisland island = Faroe Islands in an earlier time/ lower sealevel, ... and maybe it was 'Atland'):

A Frisian colony was there from the year 1040 until The Black Death killed all of them in 1350. The Frisians remained heathen a long time after the rest of the Faroe Islands were Christianised. It is said that they partly lived by piracy and they are mentioned in several Faeroese legends

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akraberg#History

I can imagine those Frisian pirates re-named the Faroe islands, and called it 'Frisland', after their own people.

I found something more about Friesland/Zeno/Faroe (the English translation/summary isn't always correct, but it will do:

SUMMARY

Three things seem to indicate that Frisians have lived in the Faroe

Islands in the past.

The Legends about the Frisians. In Indberetninger 6 J. C. Svabo (1746

—1824) reports that settlement traces which are said to stem from

Frisian colonists are to be found east of Sunnbøur. In cwo letters

(Landsbókasavnið, Tórshavn) J. H. Schrøter (1771—1851) writes that

the Frisians have resided in the Faroe Islands at the same time as

Irish hermits, that is to say, before the Norwegians came to the islands

in 825. J. G. Forchhammer's Dagbok (1821) has a legend according to

which the first settlers on Suðuroy were Frisian pirates at Akrabyrgi.

In Antiquarisk Tidsskrift 1849—1851 it is said (by Schrøter) that these

Frisians came to the Faroe Islands a long time after the Norwegian

landnam, and (by V. U. Hammershaimb) that after the plague (1349—

1350) the farmer at Akrabyrgi led the southern Faroemen against the

bishop of Kirkjubøur, who demanded too much money for a new

church. A. W. Brøgger, in Løgtingssøga Føroya, 1. bók (1937), supposes

that the name Frisian came in after the Norwegian invasion. Does this

mean that Frisians came to the Faroe Islands on several occasions? In

Seggjasøgur úr Sumba I (1963) P. F. Joensens thinks of the northern

Frisians as being driven away by the Danish King Abel (t 1252). He

identifies the farmer at Akrabyrgi as Hergeir, the adversary of Bishop

Erlendur (t 1308). Thus we have a chronological difference in relation

to the statement by Hammershaimb.

Frislanda. The Frisian chroniclers Suffridus Petri and Martinus Hamconius

(17th century) place the island of Frislanda north of Britannia

in the period following the Germanic invasion. The name Frisland(a)

and variants appear on maps from the 14th century (by Ranulfus de

Hyggeden, Alberto Cantino, Martin Waldseemiiller, Petrus de Nobilibus

Formis, Andrea Bianco, Juan de la Cosa). In 1558 a book by Nicoló

Zeno Jr.: De i commentarii I .... / della scoprimento dell' Isole Frislanda,

was published in Venice. According to this book the Venetians

Nicolo Sr. and Antonio have visited Frislanda in the 14th century.

Zichmni, the adversary of the Norwegian king on the island, sailed

together with Antonio to the west in the wake of the Frislanda fishermen

who reached even more distant coasts, which must refer to the

American continent. A map, which is said to go back to an original

from the 14th century, is added to the book. In The Annals of I . . . . I

the brothers /..../ Zeno (1898) F. W. Lucas asserts that all this is

pure fabrication. He had not read an article by E. Beauvois in Le

Museon 1890 which connects the name of the island with the Legendsabout the Frisians. The name Frislanda for (part of) the Faroe Islands

disappeared in time in favour of the present name. Thuse arose the

theory of the drowned island of Frislanda.

Frísa vísa. There is a game to which a ballad was sung about Frisian

pirates who kidnapped a girl. She is not set free until her bethrothed

has paid the ransom. The Faroese variants were written down only at

the beginning of the 19th century, the Icelandic ones at the beginning

of the 18th century. Both groups mention the Frisian nationality of the

pirates. In all other European variants, treated by Erich Pohl in Die

deutsche Volksballade von der »Losgekauften« (1934), this feature is

missing. Probably the original Danish model for the Faroese and Icelandic

variants had this name, because in 1370 young girls were kidnapped

by pirates in the Frisian Westerhever, which belonged to Denmark

at that time. The oldest Icelandic variants place the event in

Denmark, because they call the girl a 'Danamasr'. Instead of the route

Denmark—the Faroe Islands—Iceland (Pohl), the ballad might as

well have followed the route Denmark—Iceland—the Faroe Islands,

or two routes independent of each other: Denmark—Iceland and Den-

mark—the Faroe Islands. Frísavísa in itself does not necessarily refer

to Frisian settlement in the Faroe Islands, but it becomes interesting

in connection with the above points 1 and 2.

http://sumba.skysite.dk/?side=99079

(The sentence I underlined mentions one of those ancient Frisian chroniclers I already talked about...)

• Like 1

That's all very interesting, I just got here, I said Faro above Gotland, not the Faroe Islands..

What does this say? When asked how it could be that Lee Harvey Oswald was co-author he said........what??

Fjierder undersiik is nedich he said. Der foar it has been jild oanfrege.

What does this say? When asked how it could be that Lee Harvey Oswald was co-author he said........what??

Sorry, can't help you on that one mate...

I must say though, I just received my copy of Survivors of the Great Tsunami! I'm really thrilled, can't wait to read it. I may not agree with all Alewyn's ideas but do think many of them might have merit when looked into deeper or the research might even point to other options, so will be really seeing what he has to say on all this, I admire your efforts Alewyn!

Faro is an island that just lies off Gotland, Sweden.

The word Pharos in Greek means lighthouse. On Faro is a lighthouse. The Italian word for lighthouse is faro.

Now, I know this lighthouse was only recently built but it had me thinking...

Could Faro off Gotland actually be the island of Pharos that Proteus, the shape shifting God, (brother of Nereus, father of the Nereids) who held the secret of where Troy was, lived? He hides Helen (in Egypt?) in an alternate version of the Troy story.

I know you are probably groaning right now but seriously, what is the myth with details about Menelaus and Proteus and this mythical lighthouse in Egypt about..?

From Wiki

Faro

Etymology

The name "Fårö" (in Gutnish "Faroy") is derived from the words "ö", meaning island, and "far-", which is a word associated with travel like in the Swedish word "farled" (fairway). The word Fårö probably means the island you have to travel to or the traveler's island. Mainland Swedes might misinterpret the name Fårö to be derived from får, the Swedish word for sheep, due to the many sheep on the island. However, the Gutnish word for sheep is "lamb".

Gutnish

Contriving a link between the Gutnish word Faro and ancient Greek/Italian based solely on a phonetic similarity, without researching even a little the local etymology of the word (or ignoring that research to promote a link) doesn't help the case being built.

That's all very interesting, I just got here, I said Faro above Gotland, not the Faroe Islands..

I know what you said. Did you read what *I* said??

Faro is what you said, Faroe is what Alewyn talked about.

Please, take the time to read from the last post you made yesterday to here...

Edited by Abramelin

I know what you said. Did you read what *I* said??

Faro is what you said, Faroe is what Alewyn talked about.

Please, take the time to read from the last post you made yesterday to here...

I did. ??

I mentioned Faro as a possible island of Pharos and you go on about Alewyn and the Faroe Islands....

Anyway, I have Alewyn's book now so I will catch up on his Faroe idea but Faro has a much earlier history and the connections, I see nothing much on the Faroe Islands so they don't really interest me, Faro is where we should be looking. Far away island.

I did. ??

I mentioned Faro as a possible island of Pharos and you go on about Alewyn and the Faroe Islands....

Anyway, I have Alewyn's book now so I will catch up on his Faroe idea but Faro has a much earlier history and the connections, I see nothing much on the Faroe Islands so they don't really interest me, Faro is where we should be looking. Far away island.

Yes, I do go on about Faroe because it is what Alewyn talked about, and I explained why he very probably was wrong.

Faro/Pharos is where you want to look because you are hooked on anything with a faint relation to Greek language an myths, and all that based on a similarity of names (you will love the OLB).

Faroe is a topic Alewyn discussed in the second page of this thread, and he more or less suggested that it could have been Atland.

So, I talk about Alewyn and the OLB, you go on about your Faro.

From Wiki

Faro

Gutnish

Contriving a link between the Gutnish word Faro and ancient Greek/Italian based solely on a phonetic similarity, without researching even a little the local etymology of the word (or ignoring that research to promote a link) doesn't help the case being built.

I don't get your problem here Leo. The word faro means lighthouse in Italian. Believe me, I read about Gurtnish all night. The Swedish word for far is sheep but the Gurtish word for sheep is lamp, so in Swedish it would be Lamb Island if it meant Swedish sheep, but it doesn't, it's Gurtnish.

Elaborating, the word also means light - what else but the lamp of Freya?

FARO_

(Naut) lighthouse, (Aer) beacon

faro d'atterraggio landing light

b (Aut) headlight, headlamp (Brit)

accendi i fari switch on your headlights

♦ fari abbaglianti headlights on full beam

♦ fari anabbaglianti dipped headlights

♦ fari antinebbia fog lights o lamps

http://dictionary.reverso.net/italian-english/faro

I don't get your problem here Leo. The word faro means lighthouse in Italian. Believe me, I read about Gurtnish all night. The Swedish word for far is sheep but the Gurtish word for sheep is lamp, so in Swedish it would be Lamb Island if it meant Swedish sheep, but it doesn't, it's Gurtnish.

Elaborating, the word also means light - what else but the lamp of Freya?

FARO_

(Naut) lighthouse, (Aer) beacon

faro d'atterraggio landing light

b (Aut) headlight, headlamp (Brit)

accendi i fari switch on your headlights

♦ fari abbaglianti headlights on full beam

♦ fari anabbaglianti dipped headlights

♦ fari antinebbia fog lights o lamps

http://dictionary.reverso.net/italian-english/faro

The Gutnish word far (probable meaning: distant, 'having to travel to', etc) has no association with 'light' or 'lighthouse', etc. That a similar phoneme in another, unrelated, language has a meaning of 'light' or 'lighthouse' is no excuse to contrive a link between the two.

It is the equivalent of "crying wolf", and will simply lead to the dismissal of the 'wolf-crier' as someone who makes things up to try to impress or justify some belief. I have a lot of respect for your intelligence, Puz, and I would not wish to see you being dismissed as making up trivia simply through "crying wolf" all the time.

Edited by Leonardo

The Oera Linda Book from 1867 was co-written with Lee Harvey Oswald, as it turned out in a review by Jotte Miegersma Fryske Academy. In his thesis "The passion of a patsy" he argues that if from the name Lee Harvey Oswald the letters OERA are taken out. and the rest reshuffled, Halved Wyles will be left, or "halved wyles" (pranks/lies). "That's in itself already more than enough scientific evidence" said Miegersma. He also points out that Oswald, out of fear of discovery, fled abroad and committed a murder as cover-up. When asked how it is possible the book appeared 72 years before Oswald was born, Miegersma didn't answer. "Further investigation is needed", he said. "For that the money has already been requested".

Edited by Abramelin

I also see a connection somewhat here between the word Aer, mening beacon and Aea, the land of Colchis, seat of King Helios, the Sun King.

We should also recall that Castor and Pollux were not known by the Egyptians and therefore are probably part of the Twin Gods found in the Nordic Bronze Age in Scandinavia with another non-Egyptian Goddess Hestia, of the lamp/hearth. Maybe the Argonauts were led to it's beacon, since they were sailors.

Also connected there I see is the lighthouse theme, throughout time, surely you must all remember Atlantis is a reality by isaeyeallseeing, ok, so we have Jesus last supper in the lighthouse of Alexandria he reckoned...hmmm

Was the lighthouse at Alexandria a copy of an earlier one possibly.

Lighthouse...in my old town we had the Christian Lighthouse, a light in the dark. A lamp, a hearth of home, a light that is always lit, everlasting light, the eternal flame, whatever.

I also see a connection somewhat here between the word Aer, mening beacon and Aea, the land of Colchis, seat of King Helios, the Sun King.

We should also recall that Castor and Pollux were not known by the Egyptians and therefore are probably part of the Twin Gods found in the Nordic Bronze Age in Scandinavia with another non-Egyptian Goddess Hestia, of the lamp/hearth. Maybe the Argonauts were led to it's beacon, since they were sailors.

Also connected there I see is the lighthouse theme, throughout time, surely you must all remember Atlantis is a reality by isaeyeallseeing, ok, so we have Jesus last supper in the lighthouse of Alexandria he reckoned...hmmm

Was the lighthouse at Alexandria a copy of an earlier one possibly.

Lighthouse...in my old town we had the Christian Lighthouse, a light in the dark. A lamp, a hearth of home, a light that is always lit, everlasting light, the eternal flame, whatever.

Aer = beacon??

Well, I do not pretend to speak and understand (old) Greek, but I do know that 'aer' has to do with the lower atmosphere, mist, clouds and all that. There is even a god by that name who rules all the former.

The Gutnish word far (probable meaning: distant, 'having to travel to', etc) has no association with 'light' or 'lighthouse', etc. That a similar phoneme in another, unrelated, language has a meaning of 'light' or 'lighthouse' is no excuse to contrive a link between the two.

It is the equivalent of "crying wolf", and will simply lead to the dismissal of the 'wolf-crier' as someone who makes things up to try to impress or justify some belief. I have a lot of respect for your intelligence, Puz, and I would not wish to see you being dismissed as making up trivia simply through "crying wolf" all the time.

Not on the surface. I'm glad you have alot of respect for my intelligence Leo, thanks, try this one for size...

An island far away where a lamp is always burning,(Freya's religion - the lamp) sailors probably could even see these and know an island was there, a warning lamp. Now think about how Homer and the Greeks came up with Proteus for the God from before the flood who lives on the island of Pharos (an island far away where a (warning) lamp is always burning). Only he knows where Troy is.

Where did the Greeks get their language? If they got it from the same area but of course it got changed as it mixed over 1000 years in the Balkans and Aegean, as we know the Pelasgian language (of which I say this Gurtnish may be a branch of - with so called Trojan) it would retain some of it's origin. Think about where Homer got his info from and why the Greek word he used for lighthouse (far away island). Do you really think he means a lighthouse, that is a building with a light on the top, when he speaks about the island of Pharos or maybe more like a far away island with a (Greek derived idea from the more ancient idea of the lamp goddess there) = beacon of ancient light on it and that maybe the Greeks actually took this form on from when Homer first derived it from the original idea of it - the island of Faro, or an island far away, lost in myth, that a Goddess held a lamp of law and knowledge - a lighthouse.

Aer = beacon??

Well, I do not pretend to speak and understand (old) Greek, but I do know that 'aer' has to do with the lower atmosphere, mist, clouds and all that. There is even a god by that name who rules all the former.

Maybe it meant Aerial...as in Nautical Aerial - might have misread that part, not sure, anyway, I won't even bring Colchis into it, I'm into Troy though.

I know you have a view on the book and I'm not even going to try and convince you otherwise on it but the contents do seem to point towards all the Aegean cultures being heavily influenced by these Nordic people from the labyrinth, the Gods, so much I see, I followed alot when I did the Atlantis in Hyperborea topic, and recall reading so much from then that I now recall about the Greek myths originating there. I will justify my researches with that in mind.

Maybe it meant Aerial...as in Nautical Aerial - might have misread that part, not sure, anyway, I won't even bring Colchis into it, I'm into Troy though.

I know you have a view on the book and I'm not even going to try and convince you otherwise on it but the contents do seem to point towards all the Aegean cultures being heavily influenced by these Nordic people from the labyrinth, the Gods, so much I see, I followed alot when I did the Atlantis in Hyperborea topic, and recall reading so much from then that I now recall about the Greek myths originating there. I will justify my researches with that in mind.

Those other writers, like Iman Wilkins, Vinci, Grave, Spanuth and many others tried to prove that Homers stories took place in and around the North Sea and/or the Baltic, and some of them also tried to prove that, AFTER those stories took place(Troy in England), the stories travelled with Homer to Greece (and some say the Sea Peoples were those Nordic people who travelled south, after the s*** hit the fan in their home country)

The OLB is different: it says that Homer's stories took place in the Mediterranean (heh, well, the Middel.sea in Friesland, but ok, I will follow the preferred interpretation here).

I'm interested, here's a poll, I'd appreciate a minute of anyone's time to think about what you think:

What do you think the story of The Iliad (The Trojan War) is about?

A.... A made-up story by Homer that contains no truth whatsoever. (All crap - pulled it out of his hat)

B....A story he created from strands of history from the Mycenaeans, a war when Mycenaeans invaded Asia Minor c. 1200-1100BC.

(From prior to 1200BC, Mycenaeans sailed to Turkey and invaded Troy)

C....A story he created of the people who came into the lands that became Greece from the earliest times but not necessarily in the areas he said. (Some I-E people, Pelasgians or early Greek types may have had a real Trojan war in England or somewhere other than Hissalik)

D....A story of some other people, of no Greek heritage (ie: Egyptians) that relayed into a Greek myth. (A story bought in from India, Egypt or somewhere like that)

E....Other, please state....

I'm interested, here's a poll, I'd appreciate a minute of anyone's time to think about what you think:

What do you think the story of The Iliad (The Trojan War) is about?

A.... A made-up story by Homer that contains no truth whatsoever. (All crap - pulled it out of his hat)

B....A story he created from strands of history from the Mycenaeans, a war when Mycenaeans invaded Asia Minor c. 1200-1100BC.

(From prior to 1200BC, Mycenaeans sailed to Turkey and invaded Troy)

C....A story he created of the people who came into the lands that became Greece from the earliest times but not necessarily in the areas he said. (Some I-E people, Pelasgians or early Greek types may have had a real Trojan war in England or somewhere other than Hissalik)

D....A story of some other people, of no Greek heritage (ie: Egyptians) that relayed into a Greek myth. (A story bought in from India, Egypt or somewhere like that)

E....Other, please state....

it's a good question and surely worthy of it's own thread. I had mostly thought of it as a mythological account of a mor or less historical event but I've been reading what I can from the Ramayana and there seems to be a strong parallel. That being the abduction of women. Helen is the catalyst for the Trojan war and the anduction of Seeta by Ravana is what starts the war between Rama and Ravana.

I don't have a definitive answer but I think it involves a Mediterraerana conflict incorporating many tribes of the old world but in such a way that is digestable for the readers of Greece. The 2nd millenium strikes me as being full of violence, change and movement, more so than any millenia before in since imo. Perhaps the Trojan war is where east meets west and ne over takes the old ways.

This is weird.. you have Alewyn's book, but here you are, posting polls and going on about Faro, LOL !!

Read it, please, and tell us what you found out.

Those other writers, like Iman Wilkins, Vinci, Grave, Spanuth and many others tried to prove that Homers stories took place in and around the North Sea and/or the Baltic, and some of them also tried to prove that, AFTER those stories took place(Troy in England), the stories travelled with Homer to Greece (and some say the Sea Peoples were those Nordic people who travelled south, after the s*** hit the fan in their home country)

The OLB is different: it says that Homer's stories took place in the Mediterranean (heh, well, the Middel.sea in Friesland, but ok, I will follow the preferred interpretation here).

IT doesn't, it's only the interpretation or translation that makes it appear that way. It is exactly as you say first. The manuscript/book only has to be local, when it's read, it can take on different place names. I say the myths don't align with archaeaology because of this problem.

Plato says two things that contradict each other - he says Homer and the poets speak truth yet at the same time he admonishes them as teaching lies...

If you really twist your brain, if what I say is true, Plato knew this and has done the exact same thing with the Atlantis narratives, he has put Greeks (that are in Greece) into a story about themselves that doesn't add up geographically. He is telling us the history of the Greeks is real but it is bogus in the myths. Homer speaks truth but he puts it into fake settings.

This is weird.. you have Alewyn's book, but here you are, posting polls and going on about Faro, LOL !!

Read it, please, and tell us what you found out.

I only got it in the mail today, I haven't actually read it yet...

Like I said Faroe Islands don't interest me, I am interested in Faro, above Gotland, it is different.

My opinions are not the same as Alewyn's but I'm interested in what he has to say.

I only got it in the mail today, I haven't actually read it yet...

Like I said Faroe Islands don't interest me, I am interested in Faro, above Gotland, it is different.

My opinions are not the same as Alewyn's but I'm interested in what he has to say.

You are not interested in Faroe, but this thread is about Alewyn and his book about the OLB.

And he appears to have spent quite a lot of time concerning Faroe/Friesland/Zeno.

What you are trying to prove has already been tried by the writers I mentioned in a former post, but it doesn't have much relationship with the OLB, or not a very clear one.

As it looks now - Faro / Pharos - it's nothing but a similarity in names.

it's a good question and surely worthy of it's own thread. I had mostly thought of it as a mythological account of a mor or less historical event but I've been reading what I can from the Ramayana and there seems to be a strong parallel. That being the abduction of women. Helen is the catalyst for the Trojan war and the anduction of Seeta by Ravana is what starts the war between Rama and Ravana.

I don't have a definitive answer but I think it involves a Mediterraerana conflict incorporating many tribes of the old world but in such a way that is digestable for the readers of Greece. The 2nd millenium strikes me as being full of violence, change and movement, more so than any millenia before in since imo. Perhaps the Trojan war is where east meets west and ne over takes the old ways.

Thanks Slim, nice for you to answer. It's a tough one I reckon and it always had me curious why no real evidence of it but more than that Herodotus knows nothing of it at all. He gives us a Phoenician and Persian version though because they are best versed in history...

It just doesn't fit for me, never has.

You are not interested in Faroe, but this thread is about Alewyn and his book about the OLB.

And he appears to have spent quite a lot of time concerning Faroe/Friesland/Zeno.

What you are trying to prove has already been tried by the writers I mentioned in a former post, but it doesn't have much relationship with the OLB, or not a very clear one.

As it looks now - Faro / Pharos - it's nothing but a similarity in names.

You don't want me to start another thread do you?

The island of Faro could be Pharos of the myth imo and it has nothing to do with Alewyn's Faroe Islands. I just gave a tonne of reasons why. It's the etomology I just gave that makes the sense, read my answer to Leo, since I place Faro and Gotland right in the heart of the Freya motherland.

Edited by The Puzzler

The abduction of the women. To me, this seems to mean a distinguishing trait between barbarians and civilised culture, if you were barbarian you abducted women. On the front of the Parthenon is the sculpture of the Centaurs and the Lapiths. This was when the Centaurs went in and raped and carried off the lapinth women. Painting called The Rape of the Sabine Women recalls this event too. Why is it there? Why do the Greeks stand up against this barbaric act. Herodotus mentions again how ridiculous it had seemed to have had this war over her, no one else had bothered with these women...

My reasoning is the banishment of it is a banishment of barbarianism. The stopping of the act itself required a big law. The law of Greece stopped it and they themselves termed everyone else barbarian. The Trojan War highlighted what Greece would do if you tried this on them. It ushered in a new way of life (Athena's law) into Greece that only established itself by 800-750BC.

The Lapiths were aided by Heracles (or his son Hylus), the King of the Lapiths 2 sons joined Heracles and are the original Heraclids ancestors. This law changed Greece and bought culture and civilised law abiding life to Greece that is forever remembered in the War of the Lapiths on the Parthenon, all in my opinion of course.

Edited by The Puzzler