Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

[Archived]Oera Linda Book and the Great Flood

Riaan

Eek, that's awful, I seriously feel for you, my dentist sucks, he's so rude, I was sooking a bit when he was ripping out my wisdon tooth and he says..."well, we'd all like to be out having an ice-cream.." in a sarcastic voice...******.

LOL, I told this dentistst I had had visions of "The Marathon Man" for a couple of days. But he said he was a nice and gentle man, and that I did not need to worry.

I assumed that after his treatment the pain would be gone, but it came back in full fury after the drugs he injected wore out.

I took Alewyn's book in my hands, and started reading. But it's hard to read a book with this kind of pain.

So it will be a few days (and I hope it's just a few days) before I can really start reading.

But Puzz, jeesh, you have his book for - what? - two months now?

When are you planning to start discussing Alewyn's book for real?

Edited by Abramelin

Feeling for you man. Nothing worse. I would definitely not have been a honey eater in the ancient world. get yourself some soluable aspirin or some codeine and right it out man. Watch Conan the barbarian if you have it. ;)

Feeling for you man. Nothing worse. I would definitely not have been a honey eater in the ancient world. get yourself some soluable aspirin or some codeine and right it out man. Watch Conan the barbarian if you have it. ;)

Oh yeah, I got myself some painkillers.

I always thought I could do without. My hand was broken once, and I got operated, but I never took painkillers afterwards.

But this is simply too much for me.

LOL, Conan the Barbarian?? I listen to African music to ease the pain, my favorite music:

Or this:

It makes my blood boil.

But I think we are getting a bit off topic.

Sorry.

I just LOVE the music of the "Lidyian" people, however much they are being talked down in the OLB........

Edited by Abramelin

Say, Jaylemurph, I saw you were reading this thread.

You, as the linguist you are, could help us out.

But it appears to me that you are too afraid to be part of this thread, a thread that has a lot to do with linguistics.

In short: what the hell is the matter with you??

Say, Jaylemurph, I saw you were reading this thread.

You, as the linguist you are, could help us out.

But it appears to me that you are too afraid to be part of this thread, a thread that has a lot to do with linguistics.

In short: what the hell is the matter with you??

It should be obvious, he's got more sense than anyone else. After all, a thread discussing what's likely to be a hoax and its alleged relationship to an event in 2193 BC which never happened. I'd say he's the smart one.

cormac

It should be obvious, he's got more sense than anyone else. After all, a thread discussing what's likely to be a hoax and its alleged relationship to an event in 2193 BC which never happened. I'd say he's the smart one.

cormac

Nah, that's too easy.

This should be a topic that should make him rage.

But nada, not even one sinlgle post.

I have asked for his presence several times.

But he was sick, ok.

But now he is back, he reads this thread, a thread that has a lot to do about linguistics, and he just stays silent.

Nah, that's too easy.

This should be a topic that should make him rage.

But nada, not even one sinlgle post.

I have asked for his presence several times.

But he was sick, ok.

But now he is back, he reads this thread, a thread that has a lot to do about linguistics, and he just stays silent.

Perhaps he's not interested in beating, burying, exhuming and re-beating a dead horse, over and over again. Particularly when there are those who will likely pretend they never heard what he said anyway.

cormac

Edited by cormac mac airt

LOL, I told this dentistst I had had visions of "The Marathon Man" for a couple of days. But he said he was a nice and gentle man, and that I did not need to worry.

I assumed that after his treatment the pain would be gone, but it came back in full fury after the drugs he injected wore out.

I took Alewyn's book in my hands, and started reading. But it's hard to read a book with this kind of pain.

So it will be a few days (and I hope it's just a few days) before I can really start reading.

But Puzz, jeesh, you have his book for - what? - two months now?

When are you planning to start discussing Alewyn's book for real?

Anytime you like.

I have mentioned quite a lot actually, I pasted some parts from Alewyns book website and also spoke about my own ideas on the Phocaeans and many other points, you hadn't read it, Alewyn was not here...

Perhaps he's not interested in beating, burying, exhuming and re-beating a dead horse, over and over again. Particularly when there are those who will likely pretend they never heard what he said anyway.

cormac

I hope he stays away anyway, if J comes into this thread, I'm out. Like I need anymore condescending people here telling me how stupid I am....

cormac

You really don't know an event did not happen.

What is obvious is me and J dislike each other ALOT and I'd say he's not here because we cannot be in a thread together without bickering like children and he knows that. But stick to your own reasons...

You really don't know an event did not happen.

1111 posts, not counting this one and nobody has shown evidence that it did. And that's just from what's been presented here. There's been no evidence found for a Great Flood by those who search for such (i.e. archaeologists, geologists, climatologists, etc.) in the real world c.2193 BC, either. I'd say they're in a better position to know what did or didn't happen than anyone here, including you.

You give yourself far too much credit. This thread, like this forum, ISN'T ABOUT YOU and if past experience is any indication, if Jaylemurph thought there was something important to say he'd have said it. With or without your acceptance.

Now, do you actually have any verifiable evidence whatsoever that a Great Flood happened c.2193 BC, whether or not it's mentioned in any texts of whatever provenance?

cormac

1111 posts, not counting this one and nobody has shown evidence that it did. And that's just from what's been presented here. There's been no evidence found for a Great Flood by those who search for such (i.e. archaeologists, geologists, climatologists, etc.) in the real world c.2193 BC, either. I'd say they're in a better position to know what did or didn't happen than anyone here, including you.

You give yourself far too much credit. This thread, like this forum, ISN'T ABOUT YOU and if past experience is any indication, if Jaylemurph thought there was something important to say he'd have said it. With or without your acceptance.

Now, do you actually have any verifiable evidence whatsoever that a Great Flood happened c.2193 BC, whether or not it's mentioned in any texts of whatever provenance?

cormac

Isn't it? Well, it should be, Alewyn isn't here telling us anything...at least I offer SOMETHING around here except criticism, which is more than many others do.

Where's the guy who started this thread anyway?

Yeah righto, whatever, where is he then, bring it on.

---

What we know, is SOMETHING happened to the climate at that time -

4.2 kiloyear event – a severe aridification event that probably lasted the entire 22nd century BC and caused the collapse of several Old World civilizations.

2217 BC – 2193 BC: Nomadic invasions of Akkad.

2200 BC: Sixth dynasty of Egypt ended.

c. 2190 BC: Caused by a severe drought, Old Kingdom finished in Ancient Egypt

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/22nd_century_BC

If aridification occurred extreme as is suggested in Africa there is reason to suspect the heating caused melting somewhere else.

cormac

cormac, there is no evidence for many things really, things are not that clear cut imo, they can't even give us an exact date for the Thera eruption, everything is speculative in many ways on many levels.

To expect this rock solid evidence, such an over-rated word - is just being blinded by your mission to not accept this might of happened.

cormac, there is no evidence for many things really, things are not that clear cut imo, they can't even give us an exact date for the Thera eruption, everything is speculative in many ways on many levels.

To expect this rock solid evidence, such an over-rated word - is just being blinded by your mission to not accept this might of happened.

Two olive branches buried by a Minoan-era eruption of the volcano on the island of Thera (modern-day Santorini) have enabled precise radiocarbon dating of the catastrophe to 1613 BC, with an error margin of plus or minus 10 years, according to two researchers who presented conclusions of their previously published research during an event on Tuesday at the Danish Archaeological Institute of Athens.

Source

Bad example on your part, IMO.

There has been NO evidence presented. What has been presented is a book with questionable provenance and alot of suppositions stacked one on top of the other with comparative mythology and questionable linguistics thrown in to boot. One would have a better chance of finding Narnia after reading a Harry Potter book, IMO.

cormac

Source

Bad example on your part, IMO.

There has been NO evidence presented. What has been presented is a book with questionable provenance and alot of suppositions stacked one on top of the other with comparative mythology and questionable linguistics thrown in to boot. One would have a better chance of finding Narnia after reading a Harry Potter book, IMO.

cormac

Ok, well, you are allowed your opinion but I disagree as usual.

To be honest, I don't even know why I spend so much time here, I think I will have an UM break, I'm over this.

Ciao for now.

Edited by The Puzzler

Anytime you like.

I have mentioned quite a lot actually, I pasted some parts from Alewyns book website and also spoke about my own ideas on the Phocaeans and many other points, you hadn't read it, Alewyn was not here...

I know you mentioned quite a lot, but it's hard to distinguish between what you read in his book, and what you just find interesting.

Don't worry, I did read everything you posted here, although I do not always reply to a particular post.

cormac

Are you suggesting there have been older threads about the OLB in which Jaylmurph participated?

Anyway, for me this is a topic that has much to do with linguistics, and not only myths and legends and ancient history. So I assumed that the OLB text and the language used should be interesting for someone like him, even though he may already be convinced it's a hoax.

But if Jaylemurph stays away only because of Puzzler... hmmm..

Are you suggesting there have been older threads about the OLB in which Jaylmurph participated?

Anyway, for me this is a topic that has much to do with linguistics, and not only myths and legends and ancient history. So I assumed that the OLB text and the language used should be interesting for someone like him, even though he may already be convinced it's a hoax.

But if Jaylemurph stays away only because of Puzzler... hmmm..

I will just add I don't think he's staying away because of me but because he knows I dislike ie; (hate his guts) him alot and have told him so in no uncertain terms, we do not discuss anything on here at all, I find him rude, insulting, a smart mouth and downright condescending towards me, he insulted me personally and for that I do not participate in any thread with him, I suggested he may not be participating because it has been just me and Abe and as little manners as I think he has, I do think he is not joining in because he does not wish to debate me, but since I am off now, I'll return when YOU read the book Abe. Thanks for now.

How are you going on the book Abe, I started to read it properly from the beginning too.

I was reading up some more on this cool article about Lapland, worthy of it's own thread I reckon...lol:

One symbol on the drum is a miniature sleigh pulled by a tiny reindeer. This image is used by the shaman to “ride into the sky”, calling to mind Santa’s Christmas Eve flight. On the other hand, Siberian shamans feed psychedelic mushrooms (Amanita muscaria) to their reindeer. The animal’s metabolism removes the toxins from the mushrooms but leaves the hallucinogenic properties intact in the urine. The shamans then drink the reindeer pee to “fly high”. In the drug subculture, the slang term “sleigh riding” refers to a drugged-out state, while “reindeer dust” is another term for cocaine.

How did Santa get the power to fly like the wind? In An Account of a Visit from St Nicholas, his aerial acrobatics are described thus: “He sprang to his sleigh, to the team gave a whistle, / And away they all flew like the down from a thistle.” In Lapland, the Saami shaman (called the Magi of the North) is believed to have the power to raise the wind and storms. In olden times, Lapp sorcerers sold “wind-knots” to sailors in the form of three knots tied in a handkerchief. As the knots are untied the winds would increase. Sailors beware – the loosening of the third knot can cause an accursed mælstrom. It is said that the sorcerers of Lapland learned their accursed art from Zoroaster the Persian. Yet power over the wind comes from the Devil himself, “the prince of the power of the air” (Ephesians 2:2).

The Saami shaman or noid (also spelled nojd, noyde, and noajdde), besides having power over the wind, was believed to have the gift of second sight, invisibility, shapeshifting, weird visions, and the capability to create false apparitions. Because of the awesome supernatural power thought to be wielded by the noid, Martin Luther believed that Lapland was the home of the Devil.

http://www.forteantimes.com/features/articles/134/lapp_of_the_gods.html

:santa::devil:

The Lapp of the Gods. In the lap of the Gods.

Martin Luther probably had a lot of influence in the wording of Bibles of the time I'd say.

How are you going on the book Abe, I started to read it properly from the beginning too.

I was reading up some more on this cool article about Lapland, worthy of it's own thread I reckon...lol:

One symbol on the drum is a miniature sleigh pulled by a tiny reindeer. This image is used by the shaman to ride into the sky, calling to mind Santas Christmas Eve flight. On the other hand, Siberian shamans feed psychedelic mushrooms (Amanita muscaria) to their reindeer. The animals metabolism removes the toxins from the mushrooms but leaves the hallucinogenic properties intact in the urine. The shamans then drink the reindeer pee to fly high. In the drug subculture, the slang term sleigh riding refers to a drugged-out state, while reindeer dust is another term for cocaine.

How did Santa get the power to fly like the wind? In An Account of a Visit from St Nicholas, his aerial acrobatics are described thus: He sprang to his sleigh, to the team gave a whistle, / And away they all flew like the down from a thistle. In Lapland, the Saami shaman (called the Magi of the North) is believed to have the power to raise the wind and storms. In olden times, Lapp sorcerers sold wind-knots to sailors in the form of three knots tied in a handkerchief. As the knots are untied the winds would increase. Sailors beware the loosening of the third knot can cause an accursed mælstrom. It is said that the sorcerers of Lapland learned their accursed art from Zoroaster the Persian. Yet power over the wind comes from the Devil himself, the prince of the power of the air (Ephesians 2:2).

The Saami shaman or noid (also spelled nojd, noyde, and noajdde), besides having power over the wind, was believed to have the gift of second sight, invisibility, shapeshifting, weird visions, and the capability to create false apparitions. Because of the awesome supernatural power thought to be wielded by the noid, Martin Luther believed that Lapland was the home of the Devil.

http://www.forteantimes.com/features/articles/134/lapp_of_the_gods.html

:santa::devil:

The Lapp of the Gods. In the lap of the Gods.

Martin Luther probably had a lot of influence in the wording of Bibles of the time I'd say.

I only read the first couple of chapters.

I know, I said that as soon as I had the book, I would read it in one go.

But that was before I needed painkillers to even get my eyes open to read anything

I expect (or hope) that after this Tuesday everything will be better, and then I will read Alewyn's entire book.

But what I read up to know has already been debunked by people posting here.

==

I don't know what you're on about, but Santa has nothing to do with this thread.

He is an American invention based on Saint Nicolas and some Nordic things.

We can start a discussion about Micky Mouse too, but I wouldn't add anything important to this thread.

F_O_C_U_S_S.

Edited by Abramelin

I only read the first couple of chapters.

But what I read up to know has already been debunked by people posting here.

There is a big difference between disagreement and debunking. Nothing has been debunked. In fact, most of the responses came from persons who have not even read the Oera Linda Book; let alone studied it. They merely parrot others or the popular opinion. The true scholars would remain objective and analytical.

At best the adherents to the "hoax theory" can admit that it would appear to be a hoax, measured against very selective criteria.

cormac

Verifyable at this stage? Probably not, but please visit the following website and then still tell us that the idea of a flood in 2200 BC is so absurd:

http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/planetearth/comet_bronzeage_011113-1.html

Herewith an extract:

"Increasingly, some scientists suspect comets and their associated meteor storms were the cause. History and culture provide clues: Icons and myths surrounding the alleged cataclysms persist in cults and religions today and even fuel terrorism.

And a newly found 2-mile-wide crater in Iraq, spotted serendipitously in a perusal of satellite images, could provide a smoking gun. The crater's discovery, which was announced in a recent issue of the journal Meteoritics & Planetary Science, is a preliminary finding. Scientists stress that a ground expedition is needed to determine if the landform was actually carved out by an impact.

Yet the crater has already added another chapter to an intriguing overall story that is, at best, loosely bound. Many of the pages are washed away or buried. But several plot lines converge in conspicuous ways.

Too many coincidences

Archeological findings show that in the space of a few centuries, many of the first sophisticated civilizations disappeared. The Old Kingdom in Egypt fell into ruin. The Akkadian culture of Iraq, thought to be the world's first empire, collapsed. The settlements of ancient Israel, gone. Mesopotamia, Earth's original breadbasket, dust.

Around the same time -- a period called the Early Bronze Age -- apocalyptic writings appeared, fueling religious beliefs that persist today.

The Epic of Gilgamesh describes the fire, brimstone and flood of possibly mythical events. Omens predicting the Akkadian collapse preserve a record that "many stars were falling from the sky." The "Curse of Akkad," dated to about 2200 B.C., speaks of "flaming potsherds raining from the sky."

Roughly 2000 years later, the Jewish astronomer Rabbi bar Nachmani created what could be considered the first impact theory: That Noah's Flood was triggered by two "stars" that fell from the sky. "When God decided to bring about the Flood, He took two stars from Khima, threw them on Earth, and brought about the Flood."

Another thread was woven into the tale when, in 1650, the Irish Archbishop James Ussher mapped out the chronology of the Bible -- a feat that included stringing together all the "begats" to count generations -- and put Noah's great flood at 2349 B.C.

All coincidence?

A number of scientists don't think so.

Mounting hard evidence collected from tree rings, soil layers and even dust that long ago settled to the ocean floor indicates there were widespread environmental nightmares in the Near East during the Early Bronze Age: Abrupt cooling of the climate, sudden floods and surges from the seas, huge earthquakes.

Comet as a culprit

In recent years, the fall of ancient civilizations has come to be viewed not as a failure of social engineering or political might but rather the product of climate change and, possibly, heavenly happenstance. As this new thinking dawned, volcanoes and earthquakes were blamed at first. More recently, a 300-year drought has been the likely suspect.

But now more than ever, it appears a comet could be the culprit. One or more devastating impacts could have rocked the planet, chilled the air, and created unthinkable tsunamis -- ocean waves hundreds of feet high. Showers of debris wafting through space -- concentrated versions of the dust trails that create the Leonids -- would have blocked the Sun and delivered horrific rains of fire to Earth for years.

So far, the comet theory lacks firm evidence. Like a crater.

Now, though, there is this depression in Iraq. It was found accidentally by Sharad Master, a geologist at the University of Witwatersrand in South Africa, while studying satellite images. Master says the crater bears the signature shape and look of an impact caused by a space rock.

The finding has not been developed into a full-fledged scientific paper, however, nor has it undergone peer review. Scientist in several fields were excited by the possibility, but they expressed caution about interpreting the preliminary analysis and said a full scientific expedition to the site needs to be mounted to determine if the landforms do in fact represent an impact crater.

Researchers would look for shards of melted sand and telltale quartz that had been shocked into existence. If it were a comet, the impact would have occurred on what was once a shallow sea, triggering massive flooding following the fire generated by the object's partial vaporization as it screamed through the atmosphere. The comet would have plunged through the water and dug into the earth below.

If it proves to be an impact crater, there is a good chance it was dug from the planet less than 6,000 years ago, Master said, because shifting sediment in the region would have buried anything older.

Arriving at an exact date will be difficult, researchers said.

"It's an exciting crater if it really is of impact origin," said Bill Napier, an astronomer at the Armagh Observatory."

There is a big difference between disagreement and debunking. Nothing has been debunked. In fact, most of the responses came from persons who have not even read the Oera Linda Book; let alone studied it. They merely parrot others or the popular opinion. The true scholars would remain objective and analytical.

At best the adherents to the "hoax theory" can admit that it would appear to be a hoax, measured against very selective criteria.

No, they didnt read the OLB, but they had very convincing counter arguments against what you brought up to prove the OLB's truth.