Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Facts and myths about Psychokinesis

Requiem Nocturna

Okay, I've seen a lot of disscussion on this topic, first, let me tell you that that the word is Psychokinesis. Psycho - Mind/Soul, Kinesis - Movement. Telekinesis is simply a component, of Psychokinesis. Tele - Distant, Kinesis - Movement. Kinesis is a component of Psychokinesis we do everyday when we move something by touching it. Now for the list of "Kinetic Arts," Each Kinesis represents an element.

Aerokinesis - Air

Atmokinesis - Atmosphere

Biokinesis - Biological/Life

Chorokinesis - Space

Chronokinesis - Time

Cyrokinesis - Ice/Cold

Electrokinesis - Electricity

Geokinesis - Earth

Hydrokinesis - Water

Magnokinesis - Magnetism

Necrokinesis - Death

Photokinesis - Light/Photons

Pyrokinesis - Fire/Heat

If I've left any out let me know.

You've probably noticed I hadn't put Vitakinesis or Umbrakinesis in the list. That is because they are impossible to do. Again, Vitakinesis is a component mostly of Biokinesis, however, can be performed with whichever Kinetic Art counters the ailment. Umbrakinesis is the manipulation of Darkness. There are no particles which "are" darkness. Darkness is simply the absence of Light. It can be possible to manipulate Darkness though, however, in theory, It's extremely difficult. By manipulating Protons in a reverse order you can create Shadows/Darkness by using a "Mirror Effect."

By the way Necrokinesis cannot kill someone, it's about manipulating death, sort of like a puppeteer. Biokinesis is the opposite of Necrokinesis.

To wrap things up, I will say that things aren't as easy as they may seem. If Psychokinesis is your chosen art, you must have a constitution of iron.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dougal

• Agent. Mulder

• bleedingelite

• _Only

Why would one be able to manipulate one sort of something, but not another?

What is the difference between pyrokinesis and cryokinesis?

Fact: Psychic abilities such as psychokinesis have never been proved and there is little to no scientific evidence for them.

Myth: People can control energy with their mind.

Fact: Psychic abilities such as psychokinesis have never been proved and there is little to no scientific evidence for them.

Well, which is it? Is there little scientific evidence, or no scientific evidence at all?

Well, which is it? Is there little scientific evidence, or no scientific evidence at all?

id more or less, say None.

You've probably noticed I hadn't put Vitakinesis or Umbrakinesis in the list. That is because they are impossible to do. Again, Vitakinesis is a component mostly of Biokinesis, however, can be performed with whichever Kinetic Art counters the ailment. Umbrakinesis is the manipulation of Darkness. There are no particles which "are" darkness. Darkness is simply the absence of Light. It can be possible to manipulate Darkness though, however, in theory, It's extremely difficult. By manipulating Protons in a reverse order you can create Shadows/Darkness by using a "Mirror Effect."

you took umbrakinesis from the word umbra i bet. from astronomy and the eclipses.

To wrap things up, I will say that things aren't as easy as they may seem. If Psychokinesis is your chosen art, you must have a constitution of iron.

its not that theyre not easy, its that theyre impossible.

Well i didn't really want to come in here and completely p*ss on the bonfire, but there's no credible evidence that has been obtained properly to support psychic abilities. There's plenty of poorly gathered evidence however that shows nothing but that can be easily linked to psychic abilities.

Well i didn't really want to come in here and completely p*ss on the bonfire, but there's no credible evidence that has been obtained properly to support psychic abilities. There's plenty of poorly gathered evidence however that shows nothing but that can be easily linked to psychic abilities.

So why do you think people claim to have psychic abilities then?

you took umbrakinesis from the word umbra i bet. from astronomy and the eclipses.

Okay then Scotokinesis.

Wow I'd never had expected these many flamers.

Edited by Requiem Nocturna

Why you assume that these are flames? You make a claim, we counter it and point out that there's no valid evidence for these claims. If i claimed to be able to grow 6 legs and a second head at will would you consider it a flame to say that there's no evidence to support that?

Bleedingelite, I personaly think that people claim to be pyschic because they don't feel that they have anything else that could distinguish them from the crowd. There's a history of psychics being able to lie and weasle their way out of arguments where they're asked to prove it. That's my general opinion however and I try to look at each case individualy.

(Also, some people just love X-men and Dragon ball Z. Hell I used to think i had super healing because cuts healed quickly. Then I learnt biology.)

Okay:

- lack of understanding of science

-possible mental illness

-want attention

- teeenagers/pre teens that make up things for attention( this happens alot on here)

Once again, I want these things proven to be real, but silly claims make any real study of this almost impossible.

I think there are 2 popular types:

1. Those who see a profit in it (which there definitely is).

2. People who want to believe that they really do. It makes them feel special.

I think people experience phenomena in their lives that they believe, possibly misguidedly, are psychic in nature, and often there aren't scientific explanations that immediately come to mind so they don't see any reason to feel otherwise. I'm certainly not cynical enough to say that these people, by nature, are swindlers and attention whores. And I'm not condescending enough to say that these people watch too many cartoon shows. To be honest, I'm equally baffled by people who make it their life's mission to convince these people that their psychic abilities aren't real. If you're that concerned with people believing in the ridiculous, you'll find a much larger and more widespread flock of unconverted in the believers of religion and astrology.

No all of us want to feel 'special' some of us are just telling it like it is. I do readings and I will continue to do them, not to set me apart from the crowd, but to help the crowd. Furthermore, it's insulting to wrap us all up as 'ninnies'. I'm going into medical field, yes I've studied biology and much more, you don't have to degrade all of us. Nor do I watch tv in general, much less any of those shows named. I know that you try to take each case by case, but general statements such as those are not effective.

To be honest, I'm equally baffled by people who make it their life's mission to convince these people that their psychic abilities aren't real. If you're that concerned with people believing in the ridiculous, you'll find a much larger and more widespread flock of unconverted in the believers of religion and astrology.

Randi started this whole thing in response to charlatans preying on people's innocence and charging them money.

Okay then Scotokinesis.

Wow I'd never had expected these many flamers.

someones a flamer for you making up words?

not sure i follow :hmm:

Randi started this whole thing in response to charlatans preying on people's innocence and charging them money.

edit - Sorry, getting my topics mixed up here. But, yeah, people charge others money for these things. That's why some have a problem with it.

This discussion may continue without making derogatory references to the motivations of the other side. One can discuss motives without condemnation.

And yes, everyone here can recognize passive-aggressiveness.

I think people experience phenomena in their lives that they believe, possibly misguidedly, are psychic in nature, and often there aren't scientific explanations that immediately come to mind so they don't see any reason to feel otherwise. I'm certainly not cynical enough to say that these people, by nature, are swindlers and attention whores. And I'm not condescending enough to say that these people watch too many cartoon shows. To be honest, I'm equally baffled by people who make it their life's mission to convince these people that their psychic abilities aren't real. If you're that concerned with people believing in the ridiculous, you'll find a much larger and more widespread flock of unconverted in the believers of religion and astrology.

There is no difference in people believing in powers then people believing in a higher power.Not a bit. Both require faith and are unproven.

• 2 weeks later...

There is no difference in people believing in powers then people believing in a higher power.Not a bit. Both require faith and are unproven.

^yup yup yup

agreed.

• 1 year later...

Guys scientists Have proved that not all our brain is used the part that's not used is what harbours those powers

howstuffworks

Brain scans have shown that no matter what we're doing, our brains are always active. Some areas are more active at any one time than others, but unless we have brain damage, there is no one part of the brain that is absolutely not functioning. Here's an example. If you're sitting at a table and eating a sandwich, you're not actively using your feet. You're concentrating on bringing the sandwich to your mouth, chewing and swallowing it. But that doesn't mean that your feet aren't working -- there's still activity in them, such as blood flow, even when you're not actually moving them.

So there's no hidden, extra potential you can tap into, in terms of actual brain space. But there's still so much to learn about the brain. You can start by clicking on some of the links on the next page.

Cornell center for materials research

Scientific American's take on it.

Basically, we use the whole darn thing. There may be parts not firing at 100% at all times, but the whole of the brain is used.