Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

New Mexico creature

Saru

The energy spent on trying to "analyze" the photo of this creature should have been spent on figuring out what the creature is. I do not believe it is a hoax. If it's photoshopped as many allege, it's the best job since the cover of "Oprah" magazine.

The head is not that of any living canid. I have measured the leg length and they are longer than those of any known animal. The fang is also significant (and if it was faked, why would there be only one?) The other matching fang must have fallen out somehow and perhaps that is how the animal died, of old age and not being able to hunt. Or, the tooth fell out as a result of scavenging after the animal died.

As to how it died, that hole in the chest if very unusual. It doesn't seem like there are any other wounds on it's body. If it was found in the remote desert of NM, why didn't coyotes or vultures pick it clean? Was it somehow drained of blood and fluids that would have made it attractive to scavengers. Was this animal the subject of some kind of macabre experiments then dumped in the desert?

Again, these are questions that should be looked at by the paranormal community, not refuting the photo.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• NatureBoff

• DieChecker

• Mattshark

• Rosewin

The energy spent on trying to "analyze" the photo of this creature should have been spent on figuring out what the creature is. I do not believe it is a hoax. If it's photoshopped as many allege, it's the best job since the cover of "Oprah" magazine.

The head is not that of any living canid. I have measured the leg length and they are longer than those of any known animal. The fang is also significant (and if it was faked, why would there be only one?) The other matching fang must have fallen out somehow and perhaps that is how the animal died, of old age and not being able to hunt. Or, the tooth fell out as a result of scavenging after the animal died.

As to how it died, that hole in the chest if very unusual. It doesn't seem like there are any other wounds on it's body. If it was found in the remote desert of NM, why didn't coyotes or vultures pick it clean? Was it somehow drained of blood and fluids that would have made it attractive to scavengers. Was this animal the subject of some kind of macabre experiments then dumped in the desert?

Again, these are questions that should be looked at by the paranormal community, not refuting the photo.

post-41803-070641500 1277514421_thumb.jp

What are you talking about? I see two fangs.

Seriously, it is a canid and it has been scavenged, there is nothing unusual about it.

No it is a dead animal, it should be looked at by the scientific community.

I grew up and live in Northern New Mexico. I run across carcasses like that all the time. It's just a dog. We only get around 2 to 2 1/2 inches of rain PER YEAR. That's why the carcass hasn't completely decomposed. And just to let ya'll know? We don't have El Chupacabra rumors or stories around here. Someone is trying to make something out of nothing. We do, however, have a Bigfoot running around, we have the Taos hum, The secret complex in Dulce, skinwalkers, stick men, living kachinas, Chaco Canyon, vortexes, cattle mutilations and ufo's. Chupacabra doesn't have a snowball's chance in hell around here. :P

Edited by Totah Dine

I grew up and live in Northern New Mexico. I run across carcasses like that all the time. It's just a dog. We only get around 2 to 2 1/2 inches of rain PER YEAR. That's why the carcass hasn't completely decomposed. And just to let ya'll know? We don't have El Chupacabra rumors or stories around here. Someone is trying to make something out of nothing. We do, however, have a Bigfoot running around, we have the Taos hum, The secret complex in Dulce, skinwalkers, stick men, living kachinas, Chaco Canyon, vortexes, cattle mutilations and ufo's. Chupacabra doesn't have a snowball's chance in hell around here. :P

Thanks for that! Someone please tell Saru not to post these 'mexican dog carcases' anymore! :rolleyes:

P.S Totah Dine, is there any cases of the 'bigfoot' leaving three-toed tracks by any chance??

Edited by Smugfish

Thanks for that! Someone please tell Saru not to post these 'mexican dog carcases' anymore! :rolleyes:

P.S Totah Dine, is there any cases of the 'bigfoot' leaving three-toed tracks by any chance??

Not that I've heard. They did find some tracks below my house along the San Juan River. Here's the link:

Not that I've heard. They did find some tracks below my house along the San Juan River. Here's the link:

Thanks, Totah Dine, welcome to these Forums!

Around here anything that has Mr. Biscardi's name on it is considered fake right off. Guilty till proven inocent. He has been involved with so many Hoaxes he really just needs to leave anything dealing with bigfoot, or anything cryptid alone.

Thanks, Totah Dine, welcome to these Forums!

Around here anything that has Mr. Biscardi's name on it is considered fake right off. Guilty till proven inocent. He has been involved with so many Hoaxes he really just needs to leave anything dealing with bigfoot, or anything cryptid alone.

Tom Biscardi was part of ONE investigation in this area and this is far from fake. Many people have seen it and we hear vocalizations down at the river all the time. The one thing I can say about Tom is that he is one of the few investigators that take the native peoples around here seriously. I'm no fan of Tom's especially after that Georgia fiasco. Wow. That was a mess. This was filmed before all that happened anyway.

Tom Biscardi was part of ONE investigation in this area and this is far from fake. Many people have seen it and we hear vocalizations down at the river all the time. The one thing I can say about Tom is that he is one of the few investigators that take the native peoples around here seriously. I'm no fan of Tom's especially after that Georgia fiasco. Wow. That was a mess. This was filmed before all that happened anyway.

I'm just saying he Taints stuff he works on. Makes the evidence collected Much harder to believe. Tom B's history with fakes goes back almost a decade I think.

If you listen to the Skeptics/Debunkers around here you will hear them tell you that no Native American believes that Bigfoot is a real animal. I myself think that many Native American cultures do portray Bigfoot as a living creature.

What do you think the Native Americans down there would think of this photoshopped dog?

Here's a bit more from the man who sent in the picture:

I was hiking with my dog about 6 miles northeast of Chaco Canyon in northwestern New Mexico. I was carrying water, my still camera, some food, a compass, a knife and my phone (which had no service in that area). I never traveled through this remote desert before and I hoped to capture some photos of the spectacular landscape. I saw the incredible carcass after we hiked about 2 1/2 hours and were about to turn around to head back to the truck. My dog wouldn't go near it, which was unusual, as he always finds dead animals eagerly and I have to call him off.

I began to take a picture and the battery died after I snapped one frame. It was fully charged when I left that morning. I knew this was a significant find and I wanted to collect the specimen in lieu of the lack of photographic evidence to document the creature, but there was no way I could carry it back to the car. I decided I would come back with the means to do so, a large backpack with some ropes to tie it on with. As I couldn't record the spot with my phone's gps, I did my best to remember the spot and I marked the trail going back so I was sure I could retrace my steps.

I returned the next day with a friend from Taos, determined to bring the animal home. We easily found the trail that I had marked out the day before. It was gone. We couldn't find a trace.

About the creature itself, it was much larger than any fox, more the size of a large coyote of wolf, about 48" long. It had a pronounced and extremely long snout, like a tapir or platypus. The most unusual features were the bumps along the spine and the approx. 4-5 inch long "sabre-tooth". I could see only a single one of these large fangs. The spine bumps seemed to extend out from the vertebra in line with the ribs. They had the same short dense fur that covered the body (definitely not the hairless mange dogs commonly referred to as chupacabra). It had some longer coarse hair on it's haunches. It's feet were oddly shaped, more like hooves, but with the features of canid paws, toes and nails. It's legs were long and extended, especially the lower rear legs. The gaping hole in the ribcage was the only visible wound on the body and looking into it, I could see no remnant of any internal organs. There were no insects on the carcass.

I believe it is possibly a previously unclassified canine, perhaps distorted by the process of mummification. This was something extremely rare and unusual and I feel privileged to have seen and recorded it.

Also to add here is a higher resolution copy of the picture:

creature.jpg

This new info on how the animal was found actually answers many questions posed here. I believe aliens did something to this poor creature.

This new info on how the animal was found actually answers many questions posed here. I believe aliens did something to this poor creature.

:lol:

There is no justification for this conclusion at all.

It is a dog, It died, it was scavenged, it dried.

Size, unless measured is almost certainly inaccurate and exaggerated. Sorry but this strikes me as someone jumping to conclusion and nothing more.

Edited by Mattshark

Creature's head...

post-26883-038346800 1277680128_thumb.jp

Coyote Skull...

bc-143e-md.jpg

Fox skull....

redfoxskull.jpg

I think the skull length on the coyote actually looks a little longer then the unidentified animal. The coyote has long fangs when compared to most dogs, but the fang on the unknown seems longer still. Perhaps the animals lower jaw had been damaged and so the tooth looks longer then it really is? The crest on the back of the skull seems bigger then a coyote too. Two out of these three things point at a dog, and a long tooth could happen in a mutt breed of dog. I'm sticking with dog over coyote, fox, or chupacabras.

If the thing is so dried out by the heat, then perhaps the hair and skin color is off due to bleaching. Too bad the hiker did not flip it over. Too bad he did not have an extra battery, or an extra camera.

post-26883-045959000 1277680147_thumb.jp

Edited by DieChecker

don't just look at the picture; there are clues in the story itself.

notice the way the guy automatically contributes each feature of the canine as something unusual. sabre tooth? that holds prehistoric connotations. bit of a leap. (IMO)

if I was making up a good story to go with a strange picture, this is exactly what i would come up with. And uhm -

1. My camera just happens to die after only one shot of the animal. D: technology hatesss cryptids.

2. WAITWAIT. That sounds suspicious. I must have been hiking for a while. Let's go with 2 1/2 hours

3. Wait? I must have been taking a lot of pictures to use up all the battery. I'll include that in the beginning.

4. My dog won't go near it. Doesn't everyone say that when they're trying to make a scary story? My dog doesn't have a problem with dead coyotes. Then again, my dog is just stupid.

5. He has to include everything that he is carrying to make it seem more convincing.

6. And the body disappears! How thoughtful of it. ^^

Edited by Acid

That is really suspicious, about the body disappearing. It apparently laid there for weeks to get all dried out, but disappears overnight when he plans on returning the next day. <Shrug> I guess it could be a coyote or other animal followed their trail to the carcasse and carried it off.

This is how Donald Gialanella should have shopped his dead dog photo.

post-41803-099280300 1277780214_thumb.jp

My Shopped Version of the Photo.

It is quite clear to me Mr. Gialanella (in a very sloppy amateurish way) manipulated the original photo and posted it as a sick way to get attention or recognition. Why only one tooth?

The number of spinal protuberances in his photo do not match the number of vertebrae. as you can see he left some unnatural gaps. He also manipulated the muzzle and nose of the dog so it would not look so dog like. If you look closely at the top of the muzzle, above the "saber tooth" you can see part of the shadow on the ground is missing or very blurred.

post-41803-095893700 1277780322_thumb.jp

His Shopped Version.

Edited by evancj

Thanks!

Size, unless measured is almost certainly inaccurate and exaggerated. Sorry but this strikes me as someone jumping to conclusion and nothing more.

ding ding ding... We have a winner!! What do ya know... it's good old Mattshark riding in with the common sense calvary. Good job Matt. Case closed. You win a year's supply of snacky-smores. :tu:

notice the way the guy automatically contributes each feature of the canine as something unusual. sabre tooth? that holds prehistoric connotations. bit of a leap. (IMO)

if I was making up a good story to go with a strange picture, this is exactly what i would come up with. And uhm -

1. My camera just happens to die after only one shot of the animal. D: technology hatesss cryptids.

2. WAITWAIT. That sounds suspicious. I must have been hiking for a while. Let's go with 2 1/2 hours

3. Wait? I must have been taking a lot of pictures to use up all the battery. I'll include that in the beginning.

4. My dog won't go near it. Doesn't everyone say that when they're trying to make a scary story? My dog doesn't have a problem with dead coyotes. Then again, my dog is just stupid.

5. He has to include everything that he is carrying to make it seem more convincing.

Haha. That's great. :lol:

ding ding ding... We have a winner!! What do ya know... it's good old Mattshark riding in with the common sense calvary. Good job Matt. Case closed. You win a year's supply of snacky-smores. :tu:

Haha. That's great. :lol:

This is how Donald Gialanella should have shopped his dead dog photo.

It is quite clear to me Mr. Gialanella (in a very sloppy amateurish way) manipulated the original photo and posted it as a sick way to get attention or recognition. Why only one tooth?

The number of spinal protuberances in his photo do not match the number of vertebrae. as you can see he left some unnatural gaps. He also manipulated the muzzle and nose of the dog so it would not look so dog like. If you look closely at the top of the muzzle, above the "saber tooth" you can see part of the shadow on the ground is missing or very blurred.

His Shopped Version.

Excellent work!! Saru: take a good long look and please reconsider in future whether the 'evidence' is likely against a genuine case!

Excellent work!! Saru: take a good long look and please reconsider in future whether the 'evidence' is likely against a genuine case!

May I suggest you apply that logic to your own ideas as well? :tu:

His Shopped Version.

The first one looks just like a dead animal. The second one looks very fake.