Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Manned asteroid landing by 2025 "uncertain"

UM-Bot

Obama's plan to land humans on as asteroid by the year 2025 have been met with uncertainty. Former President George Bush put forward a plan to return humans to the moon by 2020 however this was later put on hold when Obama announced that the next target would be an asteroid instead.

"Millions of miles from Earth, two astronauts hover weightlessly next to a giant space rock, selecting pebbles for scientific research. The spaceship where they'll sleep floats just overhead. Beyond it, barely visible in the sky, is a glittering speck. It's Earth. "

arrow3.gifView: Full Article | arrow3.gifSource: USA Today

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Grandpa Greenman

• pallidin

• DieChecker

• J4yD0r

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it would be better done with robots and a return to the moon would be better preparation for the Mars trip. If we are going to advance and learn to utilize the resources of the solar system we need a moon base for launching exhibitions. We sit on the cusp of a new age of exploration.

I agree. With the current state of robotic technology it seems absolutely pointless and far more expensive to send humans to an asteroid. Not to mention the danger.

I also agree that a moon base is a natural, common sense next step.

I agree too. From what I read the other day, no human has left low Earth Orbit since the last trip to the Moon. Before we going trying to land on space going golf balls, let's at least be able to leave the Earth's orbit in a regular manner.

I agree robots would be best for an asteroid mission.

Maybe we should write Obama and point out the logic of doing manned missions to the moon and sending robots to an asteroid. I'll write a letter and send a copy to my Senator Bill Nelson. I have written him before and he listens, plus he is a foamer astronaut.

Didn't we learn anything from the movie Armageddon?? Who in their right mind would send people to an asteroid before sending robots?

I second everyone here's motion: Send in the Bots!!