Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Strange Phone Calls

Kar-zid

A couple weeks ago I was sitting in class, my phone on vibrate in my pocket. I feel it begin to vibrate, and it does it repeatedly so I was obviously getting a call. I couldn't answer, due to the fact I was in the middle of class, so I waited until recess to check my phone. I had one missed call from a private number. That was a bit strange, but I knew a couple people who left their numbers on private. Thing was, none of them had any reason to ring me, and once I asked them they said they hadn't anyway.

But I didn't worry about it, figuring it was just a wrong number or a telemarketer or something. Then I got three more calls in the afternoon, none of which I picked up in time. Each of them were EXACTLY 7 minutes apart, which was also very strange, once again from a private number. I turned on the volume on my phone and turned it up, so I'd be sure to pick it up the next time.

Finally, after around an hour, I get another call. I pick it up and ask, "Hello?"

All i can hear is a strange electronic sound. Not as if it's connecting or anything, I've never heard anything like it before, just strange electronic sounds. After EXACTLY 7 seconds, the other end hangs up. I'm left even more confused now. Then around twenty minutes later, I get a call again. I pick it up again, and the electronic sounds play again. I just keep listening, and after around ten seconds, I hear someone who had a slight foreign accent ask, "Hello?". I was relieved, thinking it was just a telemarketer then, so I say "Hello" back. Then I hear him say "Hello?" again. And again. And again, in the exact same tone and pitch. It was a recording obviously, of a man saying "Hello?" replayed over and over. After around a minute of this I hung up, feeling a bit unnerved by that.

No more calls for that night, but when I woke up in the morning I had gotten another five missed calls (had changed phone back to vibrate earlier whilst texting my girlfriend). All were once again from the private number, so there was no way I could call them back.

Over the next two days after that I got random calls from the private number, unfortunately never got the chance to pick it up again. Then around a week after the first incident, I got another call again, once again not realizing until I later saw I had a missed call. For the last week and a bit I haven't got any more phone calls, but I'm hoping they do call back again so I can work out who exactly is on the other end of that line.

• Like 1

I used to used soundboards to prank call all the time. I once freaked out a friend by using a soundboard that had the phrase, "Why you kill my teacher!" (I think it was Bruce Lee, I forgot). Turns out earlier that week a teacher at her school died and my friend was convinced someone was after her. Oh, the lulz that ensued. Anyway... Either a prank call or wrong number. I don't see anything weird even with the repeated calls.

• Like 2

I used to used soundboards to prank call all the time. I once freaked out a friend by using a soundboard that had the phrase, "Why you kill my teacher!" (I think it was Bruce Lee, I forgot). Turns out earlier that week a teacher at her school died and my friend was convinced someone was after her. Oh, the lulz that ensued. Anyway... Either a prank call or wrong number. I don't see anything weird even with the repeated calls.

That is entirely possible and the most likely reason, but regardless the repetition of it and the circumstances (the five I missed that night all came between 2 AM and 4 AM) did freak me out a bit.

• Like 1

Have you ever heard what a fax machine sounds like? It's a bunch of metallic sounds and squealing noises. And it can be put on redial to keep automatically redialing at a set time like 7 mins. Anyway, that was my first thought when I read this. :)

• Like 1

It sounds like someone was ringing you from another country, most likely as a wrong number. I spend a fair amount of time out of the UK and, thanks to international roaming, use my mobile phone while abroad. It's pretty rare for a UK number to show on my phone when I'm rung from one and usually it just says "Unknown Number". This is different to someone withholding their number as it says "Number withheld" when that happens. Given they had a slightly foreign accent and there was a lot of static and/or delays on the line I should imagine it was someone abroad trying to get hold of somebody else with a number similar to yours, and by the sounds of it pretty urgently.

I also thought fax machine at first, especially with the calls being a specific set time apart. Also, the person you hear saying hello, could it have been an echo of your voice distorted(and thus the slight accent)? Did you say anything other than hello at the time?

If you continue to receive calls and it becomes more concerning than curious I suggest getting in touch with your phone company or the local law enforcement. Either should have a way to find the private number or at least block in(in the case of the phone company).

I also thought fax machine at first, especially with the calls being a specific set time apart. Also, the person you hear saying hello, could it have been an echo of your voice distorted(and thus the slight accent)? Did you say anything other than hello at the time?

If you continue to receive calls and it becomes more concerning than curious I suggest getting in touch with your phone company or the local law enforcement. Either should have a way to find the private number or at least block in(in the case of the phone company).

The fax machine idea fits perfectly, and no I only said Hello. I haven't received a phone call since. Pihkal, also a very good theory. I guess I had nothing to worry about then :P

• Like 1

Something interesting happened to me like 2 years ago I would like to share. Its a similar experience, but I'm wondering if you guys think the same way I do. To start with, I teach at a local community college part time at night, and work a regular full time job during the day. I usually go home between the jobs and rest/nap to refresh myself before lecturing. Anyway I was asleep on the couch one day when I woke up to the phone ringing. I reach over my head and grab my cell phone, but its not the one ringing. Its the phone in the kitchen. I had the phone in the kitchen disconnected two years earlier (went strictly cell). I'm confused, but I get up and answer the phone. The call goes something like this:

Me: Hello?

Caller: Hi is this xxxxxxxx

Me: Yes.

Caller: Hi Mr. xxxxx my name is xxxxx and I'm calling from Wells Fargo, and I was wondering if you would be interested in refinancing your car loan with us. (My car loan was through Wells Fargo)

Me: Sure.

Caller: Ok lets start off with some questions.

The guy then confirmed my name, address, cell phone number, home phone number, social security #, insurance policy carrier, loan number, everything. The thing is the guy on the phone had this information, and asked me to confirm if the information was up to date. He said that he would call back the next day with a new loan offer. I never heard back from the guy. I called Wells Fargo a week later to discuss the refinance, but the odd thing was that the people said that no one worked there with the caller's name. They have no record of anyone calling to refinance my loan, and that I was actually ahead on my payments so there was no need to refinance. When I mentioned that the call was on the land line, they said that the only phone number they had on record was the cell number. I thought it was weird and thought that maybe I dreamed the whole thing.

Two weeks later I got another phone call (again disconnected kitchen phone). This time it was a female caller. I answered the phone and it went something like this:

Me: Hello?

Caller: Hi is this Mr. xxxxxx

Me: Yes?

Caller: Hi. I'm xxxx from Wells Fargo and I we were wondering if you would be interested in refinancing your car loan through us.

Me: Sure?

Caller: Ok. I just need to verify some information. Is your address xxxxx

Me: Yes?

Caller: Is your phone number xxxxx. (gave me the cell phone number)

Me: Yes? (I had been answering all the questions very cautiously) - I should also mention at this point that my roommate's girlfriend came upstairs.

Caller: Is everything ok Mr. xxxx

Me: Well to be honest no. You guys called two weeks ago to refinance and I never heard back. When I called you I was told that the person I had talked to didn't work there. And to be honest, you are calling me on a land line that has been disconnected for over two years, so I'm not really sure how we are talking.

*click*

The caller hung up and I never heard back from them. Later that night I asked my roommate's girlfriend what I was doing when she left the house (just wanted to make sure I wasn't dreaming again). She said that I was standing in the kitchen, talking on the phone. When we tried to call the house, the land line number was disconnected. I couldn't call out from the land line either. Now everyone thought this was odd until my roommate thought about something. When this started happening my students had asked me to do a lecture on terrorism. So I had spent two weeks or so on the internet doing research on terrorists, terrorism, etc. He thinks that because of my research I had accidentally triggered some sort of government watch and I was placed on a list. They then started watching me ... perhaps anticipating some sort of terrorist activity on my part. So what do you guys think?

• Like 3
  • Confused 2

A couple weeks ago I was sitting in class, my phone on vibrate in my pocket. I feel it begin to vibrate, and it does it repeatedly so I was obviously getting a call. I couldn't answer, due to the fact I was in the middle of class, so I waited until recess to check my phone. I had one missed call from a private number. That was a bit strange, but I knew a couple people who left their numbers on private. Thing was, none of them had any reason to ring me, and once I asked them they said they hadn't anyway.

But I didn't worry about it, figuring it was just a wrong number or a telemarketer or something. Then I got three more calls in the afternoon, none of which I picked up in time. Each of them were EXACTLY 7 minutes apart, which was also very strange, once again from a private number. I turned on the volume on my phone and turned it up, so I'd be sure to pick it up the next time.

Finally, after around an hour, I get another call. I pick it up and ask, "Hello?"

All i can hear is a strange electronic sound. Not as if it's connecting or anything, I've never heard anything like it before, just strange electronic sounds. After EXACTLY 7 seconds, the other end hangs up. I'm left even more confused now. Then around twenty minutes later, I get a call again. I pick it up again, and the electronic sounds play again. I just keep listening, and after around ten seconds, I hear someone who had a slight foreign accent ask, "Hello?". I was relieved, thinking it was just a telemarketer then, so I say "Hello" back. Then I hear him say "Hello?" again. And again. And again, in the exact same tone and pitch. It was a recording obviously, of a man saying "Hello?" replayed over and over. After around a minute of this I hung up, feeling a bit unnerved by that.

No more calls for that night, but when I woke up in the morning I had gotten another five missed calls (had changed phone back to vibrate earlier whilst texting my girlfriend). All were once again from the private number, so there was no way I could call them back.

Over the next two days after that I got random calls from the private number, unfortunately never got the chance to pick it up again. Then around a week after the first incident, I got another call again, once again not realizing until I later saw I had a missed call. For the last week and a bit I haven't got any more phone calls, but I'm hoping they do call back again so I can work out who exactly is on the other end of that line.

Angels & Demons. :devil::innocent:

Have you ever heard what a fax machine sounds like? It's a bunch of metallic sounds and squealing noises. And it can be put on redial to keep automatically redialing at a set time like 7 mins. Anyway, that was my first thought when I read this. :)

Exactly. :tu:

Kystranger, your story os very interesting indeed and the idea that you may have come up on a watch list seems very likely, however, they knew your cell number, why didn't they call you that way? Secondly... How could they , or even why would they call you on a land line phone that isn't in use? Usually when you get rid of a phone line it doesn't take very long for someone else to end up with your old number, very interesting story.

I get odd calls, at various hours, at home and at work. my number is not listed and at work, calls are screened, at several different levels, as personal calls are frowned on.They can be traced back to where they came from but the ones i get, just seem to vanish into thin air, like from an empty warehouse,the basement, our branches in various parts of the world, all for naught.

• Confused 1

A weird thing that happened to me last year was when someone called my cell phone so I picked up and answered, and after a brief silence this kid's voice answered (he sounded like he was around 18-24) and he said "I'm calling to let you know your sister's in jail". I just laughed and hung up, since my sister was definitely home when this happened. I'm sure it was just a poorly executed prank, but yeah.

Another thing that's been happening recently is some stupid 800 number will call me and when I answer, it's just an automated voice that says "Hello?" and then "Goodbye" and it hangs up. *sigh* <_<

Normally I would just ignore this but since this stupid telemarketer already called my phone well over ten times now and won't leave me alone, I decided to call back and waited for a customer rep to answer, and I blasted some KMFDM music right into my phone, pretty funny and I hope they recorded that! :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

i get phone calls but i hear nothing like you can't hear anything.

• Confused 1

A weird thing that happened to me last year was when someone called my cell phone so I picked up and answered, and after a brief silence this kid's voice answered (he sounded like he was around 18-24) and he said "I'm calling to let you know your sister's in jail". I just laughed and hung up, since my sister was definitely home when this happened. I'm sure it was just a poorly executed prank, but yeah.

Another thing that's been happening recently is some stupid 800 number will call me and when I answer, it's just an automated voice that says "Hello?" and then "Goodbye" and it hangs up. *sigh* <_<

Normally I would just ignore this but since this stupid telemarketer already called my phone well over ten times now and won't leave me alone, I decided to call back and waited for a customer rep to answer, and I blasted some KMFDM music right into my phone, pretty funny and I hope they recorded that! :lol:

Euuugh, we get those sometimes, I think they record if you answer or not so they know what times of day you're home so they actual call centre can call you when you're likely to be there

This reminds me of what happened to my sister the other day she was complaining about getting calls on her cell from an unknown whoever this was kept calling all day and when she answered nobody was there, then the last time 11pm she answers a girl says Is Gary there? This is Nikki…. My uncle Gary died when my sister was four my sister is now twenty he had a step daughter named Nikki she has also passed away. Just weird I wish my sister asked her a question like Gary who? You know just to see if it was some fluke but my sister said “you must have the wrong number” she did not connect the call to anyone she knew because she did not really remember my uncle.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

This reminds me of what happened to my sister the other day she was complaining about getting calls on her cell from an unknown whoever this was kept calling all day and when she answered nobody was there, then the last time 11pm she answers a girl says Is Gary there? This is Nikki…. My uncle Gary died when my sister was four my sister is now twenty he had a step daughter named Nikki she has also passed away. Just weird I wish my sister asked her a question like Gary who? You know just to see if it was some fluke but my sister said “you must have the wrong number” she did not connect the call to anyone she knew because she did not really remember my uncle.

• 3 weeks later...

I would get weird calls too, not repeated in the same day though. They were calls from another country and I couldn't even understand the lady..I think she was speaking Spanish.

Yeah i agree with the everyone else about the fax, happened to me a while ago, pretty annoying. Found out the number then contacted the company to cease calling me, it worked. But occassionally there was a human caller from the company on the private number. Some chinese woman.

Had a weird call happen this morning when I was still sleeping. My cell phone rang and I picked it up and the number on screen was only six digits, and when I answered it sounded like someone making hiccup sounds :blink::huh::( I have no idea what the hell that was, but since I was still half asleep when this happened, I thought I might've dreamed it, but I checked my phone and the number is in there.

I'm too creeped out to call it back :ph34r:

• 3 weeks later...

*Sigh* And it begins again. 11:11, only 4 minutes ago, I got another anonymous call... Didn't answer it though.

• 2 years later...

Bringing this thread back to life. So last night, strangest thing happened. At 2:15am I'm woken up by my cell. I'm pretty out of it but my iPhone says "Blocked" so I was immediately interested and I picked up. There was no human response EXCEPT it almost had that background noises type of sound so I was waiting to hear some Indian telemarketer but no one said a word. After a few seconds I started hearing this really strange, almost electronic sound. It WAS NOT a fax sound as I'm very familiar with that. I am having a hard time trying to describe the sound. It was a repeating, basey sound almost like bombs going off in the distance. Almost rumbling. Reminded me of an old Atari tank game Battlezone. It kept doing this and maybe because I was half asleep it scared me. I've been catching up on Dexter episodes before bed which could have something to do with my nerves at night hahaha.

Ok, no here's the really odd thing about this. :) About 15 minutes later, my wife's iPhone rang on the bed!! I had not quite gotten back to sleep so I answered it. Of course, same blocked number! And, same sounds. They didn't last as long on her phone but they were the same. I'm so confused and I have a fear of the unknown but not sure how to react about it. Anyone have similar?

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

I've had 2 numbers in the last 5 years, one of which was a cell number. Somehow, this lady from somewhere in Asia ( Korea, China, Laos) has called me once every 3 months for the last 3 years & oddly says the same thing every time, even with the laugh in the middle... The first time she called, she sounded agitated, like she had had a hard time reaching whoever she was trying to reach & was worried. Ever after she hasn't sounded worried. I almost wish I could speak her language. Also, I'd like to know how this woman has my new number...

:alien:

• Like 1

Something interesting happened to me like 2 years ago I would like to share........

Why would you keep a phone plugged into a landline that has been disconnected for 2 years?

• Like 1

VOIP (ie: Skype) call gone array, perhaps?

If you use a service like jajah.com for example, then the computer calls the person up, waits for them to answer, they answer and then connect you to them. When the other person fails to pick up, sometimes it gets redirected to the original caller and freaky stuff happens.

Kind Regards.