Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Scientists plan to turn Pacific Ocean waste

Still Waters

An island the size of Hawaii made entirely from plastic bottles could become the hottest postcode on earth, and is part of an incredible environmental vision for the future.

CGI images show how a team of Dutch scientists plan to take 44 million kilos of plastic waste currently bobbing around in the Pacific Ocean and transform it into Recycled Island.

Solar and wave energy will be used to sustain the island and its 500,000 inhabitants.

A spokesman for the project said: 'The proposal has three main aims; cleaning our oceans from a gigantic amount of plastic waste; creating new land; and constructing a sustainable habitat.

'Recycled Island seeks the possibilities to recycle the plastic waste on the spot and to recycle it into a floating entity.'

The Pacific Ocean currently holds the largest amount of plastic waste in the world. Ocean currents keep the plastic in the sea in giant rubbish dumps, which are fatal to sea life.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• The Silver Thong

• aquatus1

• psyche101

• Legatus Legionis

Wow, that's pretty damn ambitious. If they can get the money to do this it would be amazing. I can't believe 500.000 people could live on the plastic now in the ocean. Looks very cool.

Sounds a little bit waterworldesque,...is Kevin costner in on this?? lol

._.

well I mean we kinda do something like that for reefs with old ships and planes... guess it was only a matter of time until we actually do something like this with the floating trash heap..

and future terrorists will have a field day bringing down a floating island lol, if this island is self sufficiant then they shouldnt need to pay taxes and should have there own government ahhhhhh bliss lol, probely wont happen and you will be taxed to kingdom come

+10 points for creativity at least.

They need to get someone else to name it, though. Recycled Island? Come on, people, you can do better than that. It's a floating island city! It should be named something like... Aquatopia 12000!

Ok, maybe I shouldn't be allowed to name it either.

Seriously?

Town of the Reconditioned

Population: only those stupid enough to pretend something like that could last more than five years.

Seriously?

Population: only those stupid enough to pretend something like that could last more than five years.

What and why do you think this concept would not last?

Seriously?

In the least, they're trying to come-up a solution for that tons and tons of plastic trash that floats in the pacific.

I for one would not even dream of thinking that idea up. plausible, but it would need the cooperation of several countries and companies.

I'll file this in the "Good luck with that." folder.

Yup!

At least they're going to try to clean up the mess made. Would you all rather them leave it be? Let's let some more wildlife die then.. :rofl: -sarcasm

Hey, if they manage to clean up the mess, awesome. Until then, like I said, Good luck with that.

At least they're going to try to clean up the mess made. Would you all rather them leave it be? Let's let some more wildlife die then.. :rofl: -sarcasm

Who is going to try? I don't want an answer really as the idea is good but the concept is flawed.

sounds like something that the government here in the USA would use to say, "look at the green house effect! See what it does! This is awful!" and many of other's that know a little bit about science and moisture know that any kind of moisture inside a plastic bottle along with heat from a reliable heat source aka the sun, will create condensation which can purify salt water into clean drinking water while separating the salt from the water so that it's safe to drink. So by creating another tube feature for the fresh water to go into and one for the salt then it maybe alright to try and invent. At least then you won't be accused of wasting plastic for the landfields but instead you can laugh at the government official's face and say, "I'm not wasting my plastic! I'm helping create more fresh water for us sea lovers to resupply!"

I would imagine that the plastic from the ocean would be scooped up recycled and made into thick floating cubes then pieced together. 2 inch thick plastic made into a solid air mattress like shape about 12ft x 12ft shapes 6 feet in height linked together and a large plastic membrane laid over top to keep it stable. Of course there would need to be much more reinforcements made to keep the waves from making everyone sea sick.

It could be done but unless a private investor has the funds to make it happen, it's a pipe dream.

I would imagine that the plastic from the ocean would be scooped up recycled and made into thick floating cubes then pieced together. 2 inch thick plastic made into a solid air mattress like shape about 12ft x 12ft shapes 6 feet in height linked together and a large plastic membrane laid over top to keep it stable. Of course there would need to be much more reinforcements made to keep the waves from making everyone sea sick.

It could be done but unless a private investor has the funds to make it happen, it's a pipe dream.

Fundraising?!

I'm sensing some defeatist attitudes in this thread and that bothers me.

Fundraising?!

I'm sensing some defeatist attitudes in this thread and that bothers me.

Say what, LOL i was just postulating. It could me done but who will pay for it? It's not a defeatist attitude, just reality.

Edited by The Silver Thong