Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Your Faith

Druidus

In this thread I would like everyone to post their faith (religion), and explain it. Tell why you came to believe this (brought up that way or an experience). Tell what your faith is about. On a scale of 1-10 how strrongly do you believe in your faith. If your faith has a set of rules (ten commandments, Wiccan's Rede) , what are they. Everything and anything about your faith. No argueing over whose is "right" or "better". This thread is to further tolerance on the board, and to help everyone understand each other better. Remember, even the smallest detail of your faith is important. I will post mine later (I'm on vacation and I can't do a long post). Thank you.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• The Nameless One

• Cradle of Fish

• Todd

• catsrule52

Hmm, that's a hard one.

I usually call myself by the label of 'druid', though that is a gross misnomer, as I have my own definition for that and it does not coincide with modern druidic movements at all. I'm far more than that anyway, and I can't really label myself.

I grew up in a fundamentalist Christian household, and for 17 years, I was quite devoutly of that faith. I was unquestioning of it, but I did hold beliefs and ideals and feelings that were not compatable - the sensing and experiencing of strange dreams and paranormal activity, the strong belief in magic (in a mature, real sense, not in the 'I love unicorns, they're so pretty they have to be real' sense), the belief that Christianity was not the 'one true religion' but part of a greater whole. I kept these feelings down, however, until I grew a deep friendship with my now husband, who introduced me to dozens of things - magic, the astral plane, mythos, etc. When I was 17, I 'abandoned' my faith (as some would call it): I looked up to the heavens and said "God, I'm sorry, but I know what I have felt and experienced, and if you wish me to deny that, then I must leave you." Hence I began my journey into the world of religions and spirituality.

I studied many lightly, and began reading texts deeply, but most of all, I have gone what I have felt instinctually and in my gut. No, I am not a logically religious person. Were I to explain all my beliefs, one might think me mad. That is fine with me: I believe that religion is a personal thing, one determined by the experiences of the person and what they feel they should believe. There's a bit of faith in everything, including science.

I incorporate what I learn and believe to be true in my belief system as I go along, and discard what I find to later be false or faulty. I believe in a large pantheon that incorporates all the gods and goddesses worshipped on this earth, including the Christian God and the "Earth Mother". I believe in Gaia (the living spirit of the earth). However, I do not worship any of these, though I hold closest to Gaia. I believe that religion is not about worship, but about following the right path in life. In fact, I believe that worship is the exact opposite of what we should be doing. The major 'prophets' - Jesus, Buddha, Mohammed, etc. - never wanted to be worshipped; they wanted people to follow the right Way.

In that sense, I follow 'The Way', and so one might call me Buddhist or Taoist minded. In truth, I'm greatly the latter. I take what I learn from life and follow it. What I believe about the pantheon doesn't matter to me in the end; they could not exist and my life would still be complete.

I believe in the universal law of life: that it is sacred (basically, the old Wicca law, An it harm none, do as ye will.) I believe that is the only true law. I believe in spirits, souls, and all sorts of mystical things, yet at the same time, I have a hardline, somewhat skeptical approach to the way most people deal with the same topics.

I do not belong to any religious community, though I think that visiting them (of various faiths) is good practice, like going to school time and time again. I share my beliefs with my husband, and that is about it. I get along well with those of all religions, so long as they have a critical mind to their beliefs, and follow what they really believe to be right, not simply what they have been told to believe, even if they disagree.

I follow no set creed, or at least, none that could be easily established in words. I do what I feel is best. I honor the natural order of the world. I study constantly to learn further, and to continue to put me on the path I believe I should be on. I recognize the individual's ability to determine their truth based on what they have experienced.

I am very firm in my faith, while at the same time, always allow for change as I learn more and cast aside things that I find to be false. I believe that's a fair summary of my beliefs in general. original.gif

I am currently a christian, but there is something about it that just doesnt feel right, im thinking of converting to buddhism actually.

Athiest.

The idea of a higher being and creationalism is just adsurd and unrealistic to me. I do not need religion to justify my existance, and rather look to science to explain why i am here and such.

I am a Christian, and it's based in following Jesus's example here on Earth.

I've already done this one ad Nauseam. But I will say that my belief is secondary to science. I'm always willing to change the details of my faith based on any hard fact that is discovered..

Unlike many, I regcognize that belief in God is basically a security blanket and is secondary to empirical data..

I am not a religious person nor a athiest....

For some reason I have always believed in some "higher being" as some people call it, but have never agreed with major religions in the world today such as Chrisitanity, Islam, Budhism..

Whether that being is an alien, god, or whatever else I don't know, but since childhood I have always believed something smarter than us(not perfect) has been watching humans evolve from early times.

I don't want to offend religious people here, but a closer look at these "holy books" and you will see that they aren't all that peaceful nor loving original.gif

I am Jewish cool.gif .

I was born a jew, and so it means that I will be a jew for the rest of my life (converting to other religion doesn't cancel one's jewishness, and not-believing in god doesn't mean you are not a jew).

Judaism is one of the oldest religions in the world, and together with Samaritanism (which is practiced by some 400 Samaritans that survived in Israel), it is the direct descendant of the Israelite religion.

Jewishness is passed by maternal line, as opposed to most religions which are passed from the father.

Jews are a non-exclusive ethnic group, meaning that one can join the Jewish ethnicity by converting into Judaism, but one cannot leave it once he or she is in. This is the reason why converting to Judaism is very difficult, and takes many months of studies.

Judaism is not a prostelyzing religion - it doesn't believe that all the people should become Jews in order to win an after life. Non-Jews are compelled to obey the 7 laws of Noah, while Jews need to obey to 613 laws specified in the Old Testament (which we call the Tanakh), believed to be given to us in Mt. Sinai.

As I am not going to describe all those 613 laws (and I don't know most of them), I will highlight some of them:

Jews are not allowed to eat pork, mix poultry and milk, eat scale-less fish, carnivore animals, and carnivore birds.

In order to be Kosher (meaning - allowed to be eaten), animals have to be slaughtered in a certain way, and their meat have to be soaked in salt-waters for a couple of days, and then washed.

Jews pray three times a day - morning, noon and evening.

The day of rest for Jews is the Sabbath (Saturday), the seventh day of the week.

The Sabbath is the holiest day for Jews, and they shouldn't work in this day or do any hard tasks. Cars cannot be drive, and fire cannot be light.

The Jewish calendar is a lunar one, and the months are devided as follow:

Tishri (30 days), Cheshvan (also spelled Heshvan) (29 or 30 days), Kislev (30 or 29 days), Tevet (29 days), Shevat (30 days), Adar (29 days), Nisan (30 days), Iyar (29 days), Sivan (30 days), Tammuz (29 days), Av (30 days), Elul (29 days).

Jews celebrate the following religous holydays:

Rosh Hashanah - New Year's Day (Tishi 1):

According to Jewish legend, the creation of the world was finished on Tishri 1. This holiday is characterized by the blowing of the shofar, a trumpet made from a ram's horn. An apple is dipped in honey, so the comming year will be as sweet as the honey.

Yom Kippur - Day of Repentance (Tishri 10):

Yom Kippur is considered by Jews to be the holiest and most solemn day of the year. Its central theme is atonement and reconciliation. Eating, drinking, bathing, and conjugal relations are prohibited. Fasting begins at sundown, and ends after nightfall the following day. Yom Kippur services begin with the prayer known as "Kol Nidrei", which must be recited before sunset. (Kol Nidrei, Aramaic for "all vows," is a public annullment of religious vows made by Jews during the preceding year. It only concerns unfilled vows made between a person and God, and does not cancel or nullify any vows made between people.)

A Tallit (four-cornered prayer shawl) is donned for evening prayers— the only evening service of the year in which this is done. The Ne'ilah service is a special service held only on the day of Yom Kippur, and deals with the closing of the holiday. Yom Kippur comes to an end with the blowing of the shofar, which marks the conclusion of the fast. It is always observed as a one-day holiday, both inside and outside the boundaries of the land of Israel.

Contrary to popular belief, Yom Kippur is not a sad day. Sephardic Jews (Jews of Spanish, Portuguese and North African descent) refer to this holiday as "the White Fast".

Sukkot - Festival of Booths (Tishri 15):

Sukkot is an eight-day Biblical, pilgrimage festival, referred to in most English versions of the Bible as The Feast of Tabernacles. The first two days are celebrated as full holidays. The following five days are known as Hol Hamo'ed— weekdays that retain some aspects of the festival. The seventh day (fifth of the intermediate days) is called Hoshanah Rabbah and has a special observance of its own. The last day, the eighth, is celebrated as a separate holiday with its own special prayers and customs (see below).

Sukkot commemorates the life of the Israelites in the desert during their journey to the promised land, the Land of Israel. During their wandering in the desert they lived in booths (sukkot). The Torah directs Jews to use four species of plants to celebrate the holiday: the lulav (palm branch), the etrog (lemon-like citron), myrtle, and willow. The etrog is handled separately; the other three species are bound together and are collectively referred to as the lulav.

In Israel Sukkot is eight days long, including Shemini Atzeret. Outside Israel (the Diaspora), Sukkot is nine days long. Thus the eighth day is Shemini Atzeret, and the extra (ninth) day is Simchat Torah. In Israel the festivities and customs associated with Simchat Torah are celebrated on Shemini Atzeret.

The last portion of the Torah is read on this day. On the following Shabbat Jews start the reading of the Torah again from the beginning— at the start of the book of Genesis. Services are unconventionally joyous, and humorous deviations from the standard service are allowed, and even expected.

Simchat Torah - Celebrating Torah: In this day we celebrate the day that Moses got the Torah (first five books in the Bible) on Mt. Sinai.

Chanukah - Festival of Lights (Kislev 25):

The story of Chanukah is preserved in the books of the First and Second Maccabees. These books are not part of the Tanakh (Bible); they are part of the Apocrypha. The miracle of the one-day supply of oil miraculously lasting eight days is first described in the Talmud.

This holiday marks the defeat of Greek forces who had tried to prevent the people of Israel from practicing Judaism. Judah Maccabee and his brothers destroyed overwhelming forces, and rededicated the Temple in Jerusalem. The eight-day festival is marked by the kindling of lights with a special Menorah called a Chanukiah.

Tu B'shevat - Tithe of Trees (Shevat 15):

Tu B'shevat is the new year for trees. This day was set aside in the Mishnah as the day on which to bring fruit tithes. It is still celebrated in modern times.

In this day, children in Israel are going to the fields and forests and plant new trees.

Purim - Festival of Lots (Adar 14):

Purim commemorates the events that took place in the Book of Esther. It is celebrated by reading or acting out the story of Esther, and by making disparaging noises at every mention of Haman's name. In Purim it is a tradition to masquarade around in custumes and to give Mishloah Manot (care packages, i.e. gifts of food and drink) to the poor and the needy. In Israel it is also a tradition to arrange festive parades, known as Ad-Lo-Yada, in the town's main street.

Pesach - Passover (Nisan 15):

Pesach (Passover) commemorates the liberation of the Israelite slaves from Egypt. The first seder is on the 14th of Nisan. On the night of the 15th, the second seder is held. On that night Jews start counting the omer. The counting of the omer is a counting down of the days from the time they left Egypt. until the time they arrived at Mount Sinai. No leavened food is eaten during the week of Pesach.

Shavuot - Pentecost (Sivan 5):

Shavuot, The Feast of Weeks, is sometimes known by the Greek name "Pentecost." One of the three pilgrimage festivals ordained in the Torah, Shavuot marks the end of the counting of the Omer, the period between Passover and Shavuot. According to Rabbinic tradition, the Ten Commandments were given on this day. During this holiday the Torah portion containing the Ten Commandments is read in the synagogue, and the biblical book of Ruth is read as well. It is traditional to eat dairy meals during Shavuot.

Tisha B'av - Ninth of Av (Av 9):

Tisha B'Av is a fast day, that commemotates two of the saddest days in Jewish history— the destruction of both the first Temple (587 BC) originally built by King Solomon,(see Solomon's Temple), and the Second Temple in 70 on this same date. Also on this date in 1290, King Edward I signed the edict compelling the Jews to leave England. The Jewish expulsion from Spain in 1492 also occurred on this day.

Except from these holydays, there are other holydays celebrated in Israel:

Yom Ha'Shoah - Holocaust Remembrance day (Nisan 27):

Yom Ha'Shoah is also known as Holocaust Remembrance Day, and takes place on the 27th day of Nisan.

Yom Hazikaron - Memorial Day (Iyar 4):

Yom Hazikaron is the day of remembrance in honor of Israeli veterans and fallen soldiers of the Wars of Israel. The Memorial Day also commemorates fallen civilians, slain by acts of hostile terrorism.

"Izkor" - The state of Israel commemorates the fallen

Yom Ha'atzma'ut - Israel Independence Day (Iyar 5):

Yom Ha'atzma'ut is Israel's Independence Day. An official ceremony is held annually on the eve of Yom Ha'atzma'ut in Mount Hertzl. The ceremony include speeches from senior Israeli officials, an artistic part, a ritual march of flag-carrying soldiers which forms elaborated structure (such as Menorah, Magen David and the number which represents the age of the State of Israel) and the lighting of twelve beacons (one for each of the Tribes of Israel). Dozen of Israeli citizens, who contributed significantly to the state, are each year selected to light these beacons.

Yom Yerushalayim - Jerusalem Day (Iyar 28):

Yom Yerushalayim marks the 1967 reunification of Jerusalem and The Temple Mount under Jewish rule almost 1900 years after the destruction of the Second Temple in Jerusalem.

Other then everything else I said, Jews also circumsize their boys at the age of 8 days.

A jewish male that reached the age of 13 is considered a grown man in Judaism, as so is obligated to start following the Jewish law.

Jews wear a special cover when they enter a synangue (Jews' place of prayer), called yarmulke.

On the scale of 1-10, I think I am a 3 or a 4. I consider myself to be a traditional secular Jew (that is, a secular Jew that follows some of the Kosher laws and celebrate all the holydays, and some times, once or twice a year, visit a synangue), as are most Israeli Jews.

Edited by Erikl

my religion is my own. I have my faiths, And I know what I believe and what I dont believe. My entire say for religeon is "to each his/her (to be politically correct) own. Each person has there own religion with their own deffinitions about what that means and what they believe. The is really not true definition for my religeon, because it is a blending of so many things. Most of it comes from Pagan beliefs, but I can't in any truthful way call myself a pagan. I just share many views that pagans hold. more later dinners ready.

Edited by VampChilde18

I'm agnostic, meaning I don't know if there's a God or no. In fact, I don't know what is a God actually; there's no proof that anyone ever saw one.

Edited by by-product of evolution

I just consiter myself a Pagan. I worship many Gods, from many different cultures. I most closly identify, with the Gods of the Norse. I do claim, Odin as my Allfather, and Freya as my Mother Goddess.

I came to my beliefs, when I started on the Wiccan path. And although I still follow some of the practices of the Wiccan, I no longer claim it to be the one faith that I follow.

Odinists believe in honor, family, loyalty, and truth. They believe that life is to be lived to the fullest, and an adventure, while helping others along the way. These are qualities in my life that I hold dear,and I try with all of my being to live by.

I also try to incorporate the teachings of Buddisim, into my daily life. Not the Buddist religion, just the phylosiphy. To be simple.

On a scale of 1-10, I believe I'm a 6. I do not lie, cheat or steal. I stand up for the beliefs that I have, while trying to not make others feel wrong or misunderstood. I think of every other living thing on this planet, and in this universe, as a part of a whole, and should you harm one thing, you harm another.

Atheist. Has Talon said, see Burnside post for reasons.

And a little note. I still think that religions are only a mere form of population control. Whit religion , its easier to keep the people dominated. Just my opinion.

i agree...and i'm an athiest for the most part...i think that is possible that there can be an "ultimate being" but it's near impossible so there ya go

I believe in Theistic Chaos, this is an idea of mine of making a science into a religion. Theistic Chaos is my belief that everything is connected. We as Humans are careless everyday it's routine we make sure our priorities are complete, nothing else matters in the world but our priorities. When will I get my pay check, what Time is it, how much longer will it take me to solve this problem, where are the kids, has my wife made dinner.

People are careless, my proof I don't need proof take a look at the world we live in today thats all the proof you will ever need. War, Famine, Viruses, Blood and Drug Money, The Death Penalty, Weapons of small and mass destruction, Crooked Politicians, Dishonest Lawyers, Lab Rats, Science and Religion, Drugs, Terrorism, Gang Violence, Adultry Crooked Cops, Corporate Media, Tornados, Earthquakes, Hurricanes, Deciet, Greed, Lust, Carelessness, Depression, Hate, Pain, Slander etc.

And look at the causes of these things Man, Nature, and God.

On the other hand we as humans have Faith, Hope, Love, and Compassion. But then I have to ask the questions.

1. Do we really know what love is?

2. We say we have Faith then why is it that we still ask questions?

3. Most people have Hope, but why do we always Wish for the wrong things, and even when we do wish good things upon people, then why is the world such a cursed, and depressed place to live in. Did we wish for more bad than good, where did we go wrong?

4. Why is it that we only have compassion for people who have come into our social lives?

The truth is that this world is Chaotic, and it's not the result of some Devil named Satan. It is the direct result of human negligence, and selfishness. Does anyone ever notice the patterns, you see everything in life is a pattern.

Ex. A loan shark loans a man some money for drugs, the man forgets to pay back his loan, as a result the man is found dead near the river with 3 bullets in his chest.

A man goes to church, afterwards leaves for work, he brings his bible along for extra reading, when he gets to work people badger him and laugh at him for his religion. Christians, Wiccans, Atheist, Buddhist, Evolutionist, and Mormons all get into huge religious debates and in the end solve Nothing, and end up hateing one another for selfish reasons.

Let me ask a few questions

1.Why is it that religion cannot agree with religion? A. Chaos

2. Why when God decided to create the universe, did he automatically decide that he would eventually destroy it and then create it again, because it would eventually not see him fit anymore? Then why wouldn't he just make things right the first time? A. Chaos Because God is Chaotic by Nature.

3. Why if the devil is the tempter of mankind then why do we consider before we take action, if a man were tricked into temptation he would automatically give into deception, but instead no one actually has ever just completely gave in, instead we consider an action beofre we do it whether we choose the right thing or not we still ultimately considered both. A. Chaos you don't just jump off a brigde unwillingly or without a cause, unless someone pushed you off.

4. When man does wrong, and is caught and questioned why are his first intentions to Lie to the accuser? A Chaos.

5. In the bible it doesn't mention hell before lucifer was cast down into hell. This means that God had already created hell and ultimately knew lucifers demise. Why did he then create the opponent, and why did he create the opponent weaker? A. In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth, this means that

A. Either Hell had already been created before the beginning or.

B. Hell and Satan are lies.

All are direct results of Chaos.

6. People of all religions believe that Time, is not relevant to God. If thats the case according to the Christian doctrine Im already burning in hell, because I have no faith in their God. Why? Because, since time is not relevant to god then every decision that Ive made, every thought Ive thought, every breathe I took, every step I took, has already been revealed to God. God has already judged me, I just don't know it yet. To God right now Im dead and in hell, right now to me Im typing this letter, but to God everything has already come to pass. Now since time does not exist to God then that means there was only a Beginning and an End there was never a Now. Now doesn't exist, but yet Now does exist. Before I confuse you and myself if I haven't already done that I will go ahead and stop. A. Chaos, just think about it.

Now Ive discussed with you why I believe in Chaos.

Theisitc Chaos- God does exist, but in nature God is Chaotic, God is infinite. People always ask me do you believe in infinity, or what is infinity and I always reply God. Man does not recognise the pattern of infinity because we are stubborn the answer is we are infintity we are God who is trying to understand himself.

But how can you define something that has no definiton, existence could be the answer and probably is the answer, but it just is't good enough so here we are born into this vast universe trying to understand ourselves recording as much information as possible before we die, and return it to the source ( God) which is ourselves. We are all ONE INTO INFINTY. When we die we will have reached Omega Code, when we are born we reached Alpha Code, and Now that we are here and Time is relevant we are in the Grey, trying to establish the differences between such.

Edited by The Nameless One

Woo go me!

Woo go me!

Go me too. Weee!!!!

damndirtytreehugginhippiepagan

That's my faith and i'm stickin to it.

I like your religion The Nameless One.

How can I subcribe to it tongue.gif

I dont exactly have a "religon" just a pack of belifs. But I have some religous belifs, like I belive in god and that jesus is the son of god. Church people dun like me cause I dress in black and hardly talk n e.

I like your religion The Nameless One.

How can I subcribe to it tongue.gif

Im working on a website as we speak. Welcome to The Cult of The Nameless One. Moohahaha (Evil Laugh) Moohahahaha ahhhhh (Loud scream)!!!! grin2.gif

No seriously go to this website and you will find out some pretty cool information, you should find information about Chaos Magic, ( The Religion) and Chaos Theory ( The Science).

www.magma.ca/~yeti/council.html

It's Called Chaos Magic and was kinda started by Aleister Crowley.

grin2.gif

I am a Christian who lives and worships as the New Testament says that a Christian should. original.gif

I spent most of my life as a non-believer for all practical purposes. It was'nt until I decided to put my own particular mishmash of beliefs to the test that I came to Christianity. I spent the better part of a year looking into what I then believed to be true, religion in general, and the truthfullness of the Bible. As much as I could, I tried to look into every belief system known to man, figuring that the "Truth" could come from anywhere. I know that there are alot of offshoots and branches of belief systems that were missed, but you have to narrow your parameters somewhat.

A friend asked me at that time what I was working on, and I told him that in part I was looking into whether or not the Bible was true. "That could take a lifetime.", he said. "I know." I replied, reminded of the immensity of just that one part of my overall search for truth.

I firmly believe that the Lord helped me to find the truth, as the Bible says that he will do for anyone. "The Lord is a rewarder of those who diligently seek him.", it says.

I believe it.

I believe in the supreme being of God.

I believe Jesus Christ came to redeem the human race from sins.

I believe the world is full of stupidity and corruption, with organized religion or not.

I believe human fallability does not nullify God's existence and acts.

I believe science is a right way to explore, understand the world, and should make it a better place for eveyone.

I believe life is wonderful even with all the messes going on.

I believe in an interconnected reality for all the gennuine 'supernatural' happenings in the world.

I believe there will be things that I will not be understand just yet, no matter how smart I am in a human standard.

I believe that all I believe are compatible, though I may not be able to understand all yet.

and, I believe the existence of MOE is just a form of hallucination laugh.gif ...

I`m a Wiccan I believe in the duality of nature.I believe in magic and that this is not my first time here nor will it be my last