Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Vampirism

LucidElement

What testing has been done?

I saw a girl the other day that was in sunlight and her skin was sparkling! What more proof do you need?

• Like 1

I saw a girl the other day that was in sunlight and her skin was sparkling! What more proof do you need?

Paul...that's a fairy.

• Like 1

oops! The testing, it happen with this proof positive episode (I think!). They had this vampire who says she can drain people of their energy. They had her hooked up to something that does energy readings and found there was a significant change in the surroundings, but nothing conclusive. :blink:

Sure would like to see that.

Paul...that's a fairy.

...YOU'RE a fairy...O_o

There was supposedly a vampire haunting Highgate cemetery in north London in the late 1960s and early 1970s. Or, rather, the locals at the time called it a vampire, but many of the sightings were very similar to sightings of Spring-Heeled Jack.

The cemetery is situated on both sides of Swain's Lane in the Highgate area of the city. Highgate is on the north-eastern corner of Hampstead Heath and was the haunt of highwayman Dick Turpin in the early 18th Century. In 1884, Europe's first cable car opened in the area, which went up and down Highgate Hill.

The cemetery is located in three London boroughs - Camden, Haringey and Islington.

highgate2.jpg

Highgate Cemetery

The cemetery was opened in 1839 and was part of a plan to provide seven large, modern cemeteries (known as the "Magnificent Seven") around the outside of London. These cemeteries were not connected to any church.

Why was there a plan to build cemeteries all around the edge of London? Well, by the 1830s there were so many burials in chuchyards in inner city London - which at that time was the world's largest city in the world's richest and most powerful nation - that they started to get full. London's cemeteries were so crowded that corpses were often buried one on top of the other, until eventually body parts, such as skeletal hands and legs, often protuded from the ground. People living in houses - or hovels - nearby would often complain of the stench of rotting corpses, many of which were buried right next to their homes and gardens.

So it was a good idea to build huge, spacious, purpose-built cemeteries on the outskirts of London to bury the metropolis's dead.

The Victorians (Victoria came to the Throne in 1837) preferred to build the tombs of their dead in a Gothic style. And it is this style which dominates at Highgate Cemetery. The cemetery's grounds are full of trees, shrubs and flowers and it even features an Egyptian Avenue and a Circle of Lebanon, topped by a huge Cedar of Lebanon.

The cemetery is also famous for being the resting place of many famous people. Probably the most famous burial there is that of Karl Marx, but other people buried there include Douglas Adams, author of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy; TV presenter Jeremy Beadle; Sex Pistols manager Malcolm McClaren; and the criminal Adam Worth, who was the inspiration for Sherlock Holmes's arch-enemy Professor Moriarty.

But the cemetery also became famous in the 1960s because of the reported sighting of a vampire and other phenomena.

In 1963, two 16 year old girls from the local convent were walking home past the cemetery. They could not believe their eyes as they passed the graveyard's north gate at the top of the lane because they witnessed bodies appearing to be emerging from their tombs.

A few weeks later, a couple were walking down Swain's Lane when they saw something hideous hovering behind the cemetery gate's iron railings. For several minutes they stood and started at the ghoulish apparition, which appeared to have an expression of absolute horror on its face.

After that, many locals often reported seeing a demonic-looking figure hovering along the cemetery's path near to the gravestones at night. Things got even stranger when animal carcasses were then discovered drained of their blood. From that point, locals started describing it as a vampire.

In 1971, a young girl claims she was actually attacked by the vampire in the lane outside the cemetery. She was returning home in the early hours of the morning when she was suddenly thrown to the ground with tremendous force by a "tall black figure with a deathly white face". At that moment a car stopped to help her and the "vampire" vanished in the glare of the headlamps.

She was taken to the police station in a state of shock, luckily only suffering abrasions to her arms and legs. The police immediately made a thorough search of the area, but could offer no explanation to the incident. More mysterious still was the fact that where the vampire vanished, the road was lined by 12ft walls.

One man even became "hypnotised" by the apparition. He had gone into the cemetery one evening to look around, and as the light began to rapidly fade he decided to leave, but became hopelessly lost. Not being a superstitious person he walked calmly around looking for the gate when suddenly he became aware of something behind him. Swinging around he became "hypnotised with fear" at the tall dark figure of the vampire confronted him. So great was the intensity of his fear that he stood motionless for several minutes after the vampire vanished. He later recalled that it was almost as if he had been paralysed with fear by some force.

A group of young people interested in the occult began to roam the cemetery looking for the vampire. On 21 December 1969 one of their members, David Farrant, spent the night there but saw nothing. However, three days later, on Christmas Eve, he glimpsed a "grey figure" when passing the cemetery.

In 1970, someone even came forward to say what he believed was the identity of the ghoul. On 27th February, under the headline 'Does a Vampyr walk in Highgate?', The Hampstead and Highgate Express reported local man Sean Manchester as saying that he believed that 'a King Vampire of the Undead', a medieval nobleman who had practised black magic in medieval Wallachia (Romania, the land of Transylvania), had been brought to Britain in a coffin in the early eighteenth century, by followers who bought a house for him in the West End of London. He was buried on the site that later became Highgate Cemetery, and Manchester claimed that modern Satanists had roused him. He said the right thing to do would be to stake the vampire's body, and then behead and burn it. However, vandalising the remains of the dead and buried is illegal in Britain.

In 1970 a mob even swarmed the cemetery to hunt for the vampire as a result of a rivalry which had developed between Farrant and Manchester when each claimed they could destroy the spectre. Manchester said that he and his officials would hold a vampire hunt in the cemetery on Friday 13th March. ITV then set up interviews with both Farrant and Manchester which were broadcast on thye TV early on the 13th. Within two hours a mob of 'hunters' from all over London and beyond swarmed over gates and walls into the locked cemetery, despite police efforts to control them.

Years later, Manchester claimed that he had actually exorcised the vampire. In a narrative, he and his companions managed to evade the police and enter the cemetery by crawling through the damaged railings of an adjoining churchyard. Previously, a sleepwalking psychic girl led them to a certain catacomb in the cemetery where she believed the vampire slept, and so on this particular night Manchester and his companions tried to get into that catacomb. But the door would not budge. Instead, they climbed down on a rope through a hole in its roof, finding empty coffins into which they put garlic and sprinkled holy water.

Some months after this supposed exorcism, on 1 August (Lammas Day in Britain) 1970, the charred and headless remains of a woman's body were found not far from the catacomb. The police suspected that it had been used in black magic. Then Farrant was found by police in the churchyard beside Highgate Cemetery one night in August carrying a crucifix and a wooden stake. He was arrested, but when the case came to court it was dismissed.

Farrant was jailed in 1974 for damaging memorials and interfering with dead remains in Highgate Cemetery. But he claimed the vandalism and desecration had been caused by Satanists, not him.

A book about the Highgate Vampire edited by Peter Underwood, a well-known ghost story writer, was published in 1975. A chapter in the book was written by Manchester.

To this day, the Highgate Vampire is now regularly featured in books and internet sites on occult subjects.

And the feud between Manchester and Farrant remains vigorous. Each claims to be a competent exorcist and researcher of the paranormal and each pours scorn on the other's alleged expertise

Was the Highgate "thing" a vampire? Was it Spring-Heeled Jack? Or was it just a figment of people's overactive imaginations?

Edited by Blackwhite

Wow. So you think TAPs, the freaking tv show, is proof. Wow.

Dude. There are no true vampires. I wish there were.

I'm a duddett to you. I've got a form of vampirism taking place with me, biting and drawing blood among other things, so dude you don't know what your talking about. What you think this is all crazy stuff people make up or somekind of disorder. Really! Than how is it things like this happen with witnesses and why do I get drained. Why do I get raped by an unseen force??? Huh dude?????

Oh and I do not think taps is proof, I think the film on the thermal imaging is proof. dude.

I really think people who have just an opinion should not attack others for what they know.

What you think I just say Gotavamp for fun??? Guess again! Its real, they hurt people and I mean physically hurt them. I have a bruise on my leg because it tripped me where there was nothing to trip over. I've had my arm bruised through the muscle by this entity, and hit in the face with a bleeding lip by unseen force. So for a person who thinks they know what there talking about, why not know before telling me what you think is real, when I say its true and know so. And if it isn't a vampire why is it using a form of vampirism and draining of blood and energy among feeding on and trying to cause fear?

Yeah, so I'm here fighting for my life and trying to warn others.

People who just lurk and want to make fun of or just dwell and knock people should understand something. Lives are at stake while you laugh and try to condem people like me as crazy label. Yeah and it does get back to me and my life is effected by it. So I am taking a chance by talking anywhere online where some white coat thinks my safety might be comprimised.

I'm a duddett to you. I've got a form of vampirism taking place with me, biting and drawing blood among other things, so dude you don't know what your talking about. What you think this is all crazy stuff people make up or somekind of disorder. Really! Than how is it things like this happen with witnesses and why do I get drained. Why do I get raped by an unseen force??? Huh dude?????

Oh and I do not think taps is proof, I think the film on the thermal imaging is proof. dude.

Well dudette.

Its because you dont actually get "raped", by an unseen force. Or drained.

Psychic vamps are the most modern, made up types of vampires.

Wouldn't what you're experience be more in line with a ghost than a vampire? Would think a vamp would do more than trip and punch people.

I really think people who have just an opinion should not attack others for what they know.

What you think I just say Gotavamp for fun??? Guess again! Its real, they hurt people and I mean physically hurt them. I have a bruise on my leg because it tripped me where there was nothing to trip over. I've had my arm bruised through the muscle by this entity, and hit in the face with a bleeding lip by unseen force. So for a person who thinks they know what there talking about, why not know before telling me what you think is real, when I say its true and know so. And if it isn't a vampire why is it using a form of vampirism and draining of blood and energy among feeding on and trying to cause fear?

Yeah, so I'm here fighting for my life and trying to warn others.

People who just lurk and want to make fun of or just dwell and knock people should understand something. Lives are at stake while you laugh and try to condem people like me as crazy label. Yeah and it does get back to me and my life is effected by it. So I am taking a chance by talking anywhere online where some white coat thinks my safety might be comprimised.

So it's safe to assume you haven't actually talked to a doctor about any of this? That would be my advice. Talk to a professional soon. And just for my own edification, how old are you?

Edited by Paul Dangerously

I think people make all this up. Oh yeah. I think you need to get checked by a medical doctor to make sure you are okay. It wouldn't hurt. There could be other things going on, BUT you aren't a vampire, nor or you getting bit by one. THEY don't exist. Sorry.

Youre fine. Itd be edward cullen.

Ok thanks. buti can't believe this topic is still going on. i thought we all killed it. with a good solid wooden steak to the heart.

AKA me throwing in hings that make no sense.

Edited by zombeikiller

if one wants to acheive greatness. then one must do things tat seem impossible. Oh and if i was a wrld leader of a country i would fund such a project.

who knows the us goverment may be trying to make a immortallity serum. for one thing. the only thing keeping use rom liveing almost for ever is te natural toxians that our blood cells produce and then die that way. other then that little problem we are mortal. let evolution or abdaption take it's couse i don't think so. i want to speed it up and try to expand a life to go as far as it can. or zombies. to bad i don't know how to do such hings. and it could cause zombie. LOL

Dude I cannot read one of your post because of how bad you grammer and spelling are if I wanted to read a 4chan post I would go to 4chan and read one you sound really ignorant right now.

Now there are some pychos who kill people and get off on consuming and smelling blood but that doesn't mean vanpires exist. These are very sick indivuals and they need help. but and I'll put in caps for you so you understand me VANPIRES DON'T EXIST OUTSIDE OF FICTION.

AKMB2010

Dude I cannot read one of your post because of how bad you grammer and spelling are if I wanted to read a 4chan post I would go to 4chan and read one you sound really ignorant right now.

You mean... grammar, right? :) Hehe. Anyways, you guys had better read this: page http://llresearch.org/transcripts/issues/1982/1982_0321.aspx That if, if you want to find out about the implications of drinking another person's blood. Enjoy.

...YOU'RE a fairy...O_o

I don't believe in fairies...

I bet somewhere a fairy just dropped dead...Mwhuhahahahahaha

:devil:

Ok thanks. buti can't believe this topic is still going on. i thought we all killed it. with a good solid wooden steak to the heart.

AKA me throwing in hings that make no sense.

What's the point of having this thread die? As soon as it does there will be another to take it's place. <_<

Now there are some pychos who kill people and get off on consuming and smelling blood but that doesn't mean vanpires exist. These are very sick indivuals and they need help. but and I'll put in caps for you so you understand me VANPIRES DON'T EXIST OUTSIDE OF FICTION.

AKMB2010

I had computer issues when i was posting most of my post........ sorry about that.

• 4 months later...

For those of you who do not believe vampires are real then do not post. There have been people who say that vampire are nonsense and there is this theory

that says vampires are a mathematical impossibility. Every theory has assumptions, this one assumes that vampires turn every "victim" into a vampire. This is not

true. so the theory is crap. There are some scientists who claim vampires are anatomically impossible. They refer to all sorts of human characteristics and anatomy.

Vampires are not HUMAN!!!! the shear amount of circumstantial evidence is huge. There have been recorded vampire sightings for over two thousand years! over different continents! how can people come up with such similar ideas when they are separated by huge distances and through millennia?!

There is no real theory to disprove vampirism. Yes there is a lot of fiction and myth but there MAY be some truth. Anyway, sun does not burn vampires. If you

had very sensitive eyes would you stay out in bright sunlight? besides, sunlight is not hot enough to melt anything solid. You cannot become a vampire without a vampire to turn you! those who say you are a vampire are simply liars! Crosses or Holy water have no effect whatsoever! it is a myth come up by "superstitious"

Christians. DO NOT listen to anything the media says! I have found three different sites containing the same text, so this site is probably the safest way to go.

There are some scientists who claim vampires are anatomically impossible. They refer to all sorts of human characteristics and anatomy.

Vampires are not HUMAN!!!!

This is a good point. It would be saying aliens can't exist because its anatomically impossible to have gray skin or large almond shaped eyes. Sure its impossible by human standards.

I'm not saying I believe in vampires, I'm just saying, anatomically, what's the reference point to say its impossible? (i.e. a cadaver of a known vampire, to compare a proposed vampire to and say yes or no )

Edited by Halloween78

For those of you who do not believe vampires are real then do not post. There have been people who say that vampire are nonsense and there is this theory

that says vampires are a mathematical impossibility. Every theory has assumptions, this one assumes that vampires turn every "victim" into a vampire. This is not

true. so the theory is crap. There are some scientists who claim vampires are anatomically impossible. They refer to all sorts of human characteristics and anatomy.

Vampires are not HUMAN!!!! the shear amount of circumstantial evidence is huge. There have been recorded vampire sightings for over two thousand years! over different continents! how can people come up with such similar ideas when they are separated by huge distances and through millennia?!

There is no real theory to disprove vampirism. Yes there is a lot of fiction and myth but there MAY be some truth. Anyway, sun does not burn vampires. If you

had very sensitive eyes would you stay out in bright sunlight? besides, sunlight is not hot enough to melt anything solid. You cannot become a vampire without a vampire to turn you! those who say you are a vampire are simply liars! Crosses or Holy water have no effect whatsoever! it is a myth come up by "superstitious"

Christians. DO NOT listen to anything the media says! I have found three different sites containing the same text, so this site is probably the safest way to go.

Please define what you mean by "vampire".

Nibs

For those of you who do not believe vampires are real then do not post.

first of all, you are not the OP of this thread, so i hardly think that qualifies you to dictate who should or should not post here.

secondly, the OP actually said (and i quote)

"let me know what you guys think about the whole being a modern-day vampire."

that does not say, let me know what you think only if you believe in vampires.

Edited by JGirl

could a vampire please suck the life out of this thread?

im just kidding...it's delightful that somebody felt the need to resurrect this again.

Edited by Triade

I know modern day vampires.

Their called banks......

Oh wait I would classify them as parasites ....

I know modern day vampires.

Their called banks......

Oh wait I would classify them as parasites ....

No-no: Teenagers are parasites. Banks are evil (well, mine is ok, technically, it's a credit union)

yes the vampire legend is very old

first people thought it was made coz of vampire bat

then turned out it was older and traced it more and then linked it

to disease called Prophyria .. very rare disase

however the legend was even older

i believe the myth started with Lamia And Lilith

most important it doesn't make it real

vampires who drink blood belongs in gothic fantansy

first of all, you are not the OP of this thread, so i hardly think that qualifies you to dictate who should or should not post here.

secondly, the OP actually said (and i quote)

"let me know what you guys think about the whole being a modern-day vampire."

that does not say, let me know what you think only if you believe in vampires.

hehehee you sounded like michael cole from wwe raw on that one :D

just kidding :lol: