Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Black Hole Drive Could Power Future Starships

thefinalfrontier

What would happen if humans could deliberately create a black hole? Well, for starters we might just unlock the ultimate energy source to create the ultimate spacecraft engine — a potential "black hole-drive" – to propel ships to the stars.

It turns out black holes are not black at all; they give off "Hawking radiation" that causes them to lose energy (and therefore mass) over time.For large black holes, the amount of radiation produced is miniscule, but very small black holes rapidly turn their mass into a huge amount of energy.

arrow3.gifRead more...

I wonder if this could be the future of space travel at near light speed, Its an interesting idea to say the least, As science advances I believe it could be a reality many years from now, This will be the future generations project,

tinyblackhole2.jpg

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• thefinalfrontier

• DONTEATUS

• The Silver Thong

• sepulchrave

That is a really neat idea. Thanks for the link!

When building such a device, just remember to post appropriate warning labels, such as:

1. Do not look into massive gamma-ray laser with remaining eye.
  2. Do not touch black hole with remaining hand.

When building such a device, just remember to post appropriate warning labels, such as:

To funny LOL

This would be a pretty big discovery and advancement for man. Harnessing a black hole wow who woulda thunk it.

LOL, Yes that would be a great idea, I think its a facinating time to be alive in this world with all the advancments man is making, Altough this will not happen in our lifetime the future of mankind looks very promising,

This is why Mankind Should and does Think outside the Box. Nothing is Impossible.

Its just not been done yet !

Great post TFF ! Glad your doing Great! :innocent:

This is why Mankind Should and does Think outside the Box. Nothing is Impossible.

Its just not been done yet !

Great post TFF ! Glad your doing Great! :innocent:

Yes mankind just might make it off this little rock and survive in the long run, We have about 4.5 billion years to get it done eh? Yes im doing better D, thanks for the words, Finally gaining some wieght back too, :yes:

• 2 weeks later...

A saw a Show about the Black Hole drive ! quite interesting !

Yet It seems many hundreds of years from our current ablities !

I would Love to Dream of the Posibilities that await us Too!

TO Fold Time-space! Frank Herbet ! "Dune" Great Read!

The biggest black holes in the universe are also the most perplexing. Scientists have long been confused about just how the earliest, most massive black holes formed, but new evidence now suggests they could have originated inside giant cocoon-like stars.

This idea is at odds with the prevailing thinking that large black holes are created by the clumping together of smaller black holes.

Not so, says University of Colorado at Boulder astrophysicist Mitchell Begelman.

arrow3.gifRead more...

Black holes have always interested me, Im fasinated with them,

091208-st-cocoons-01.jpg

A distant galaxy with a giant black hole in its center has been acting up recently, emitting extremely bright flashes of gamma ray light.

The flares began September 15, making the galaxy currently the brightest source of gamma rays in the sky and boosting its own brightness to more than 10 times its regular luminosity over the summer.NASA's Fermi Gamma-ray Space Telescope has been observing the phenomenon to learn more about how such active galaxies work. Astronomers think this galaxy, identified as 3C 454.3, is what's called a blazar.

arrow3.gifRead more...

Ive said it several times before and ill say it again, These beasts have always fasinated me,

Yes mankind just might make it off this little rock and survive in the long run, We have about 4.5 billion years to get it done eh? Yes im doing better D, thanks for the words, Finally gaining some wieght back too, :yes:

With the way things are going, I'd take a few billion years off that number :P

We might have a few 100 if we're lucky.

Edited by Finity