Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Pentagon plans 'flying submarine'

Still Waters

Pentagon researchers are attempting to develop a military vehicle which can travel underwater like a submarine before bursting out of the waves and flying like an aeroplane.

The Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA), the US military science and technology department, has set about creating an aircraft that can fly low over the water until near its target before disappearing under the sea to avoid detection.

It would then creep closer in submarine form before attacking its target, probably a ship or coastal installation, and fly home.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• questionmark

• Sakari

• Still Waters

• Samuronin

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Not sure if "flying submarine" would be a proper name for it.........

Quite interesting project there, but I think it will take some time for them to make that one work.

Thanks for posting.

Here we go again, its summer so we will hear about Nessie, the Mars station, the flying car and the flying sub. Then we will have the news about cold fusion in an ice cream cone...

Pentagon researchers are attempting to develop a military vehicle which can travel underwater like a submarine before bursting out of the waves and flying like an aeroplane.

ship maybe but not submarine

the most problematic is the weight . unlike air plane , submarine is much much heavy (in order to withstand deep water pressure) .

Edited by kobolds

Ok...so no one??...i guess i have to be the one....Pure Crap, i can see so many people getting hurt or killed trying to get this to work.

Here we go again, its summer so we will hear about Nessie, the Mars station, the flying car and the flying sub. Then we will have the news about cold fusion in an ice cream cone...

Which is the source of "brain freeze".

Nibs

<Looks at article.>

<Sees Incredibles manta ray ship.>

So now the US Government is getting military ideas from children's superhero movies? What will they pursue next? Try to ally with the Fire Nation?

The Stealth Bomber is not good enough? :angry:

<Looks at article.>

<Sees Incredibles manta ray ship.>

So now the US Government is getting military ideas from children's superhero movies? What will they pursue next? Try to ally with the Fire Nation?

Exactly Diechecker - this is not "Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea". There is no powerplant in existence that could perform this feat....forget alien "technology" it only exists in the minds of CT's. Seriously, I would love to hear if anyone, in the entire world, could make this happen.

Just a "Grab" for grant money IMO

Now that you mentioning, it Die Checker I'm just loling at how it looks like the manta rays ship which is from the Aqualine system in Galaxy 3 from the game Elite. Which I kind of looked in too after your mentioning that it looked like a comic book super hero movie thing.

Edited by Ryinrea

I remember reading somewhere that military tech and R & D was some 40 years more advanced than anything the public has currently seen. Things like this probably already exist.

I remember reading somewhere that military tech and R & D was some 40 years more advanced than anything the public has currently seen. Things like this probably already exist.

Yeah 40 years is about right-

Heres one Irwin Allen prepared earlier! :D

post-56114-027487400 1278452376_thumb.jp

Edited by glyndowers heir

By your rule in 1920... because either in '58 or 59 (I would have to look it up) Popular Mechanics already had this "news article".

This one of the "all Summers again" stories.

First thing I thought of was Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea as well.

For those to young to remember, it looks hokey today but it was reasonably inspiring on saturday afternoon as a kid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4FHXcnZS3Y

I see some merit for this technology in special forces ops but not as any kind of strategic platform, as Sakari commented we already have the proven B2 (as well as our current SSBN/SSGN fleet) in the global strike roll.

I saw a civilian version of this a few years ago. Because of its shape it stays just below the surface at low speeds. As it speeds up it comes out of the water like a hydrofoil and then gets airborne and cruises about 70mph. It would fly about 10 feet off the surface. Maybe this is what they are talking about.

Rex

Things can happen......

The Stealth Bomber is not good enough? :angry:

Yeah they went from BlackBird ot Black D*ck. :no:

• 3 weeks later...

Hey everybody,

I've been thinking about this since it first appeared in the media. IMO I reckon this is deffinately doable.

It seems like the finished product will be a black opps insertion vehicle (or something similar). The biggest problem is the power source for the submerged segment of the mission. Fuel cells are possible but heavy, I was thinking maybe a very small say 100 HP or so oxygen/hydrogen jet turbine coule be used. It may be possible to get the exhaust to condense before it gets to the surface to make it more stealthy. A flooding cockpit gets rid of any pressure/bouyancy issues and an inboard mounted conventional turbine could be used to power an external prop for the conventional flight phase with locking pressure doors so the sea water does'nt blow the turbine up after submerging. The bouyancy issues of half empty fuel tanks can be countered with sealed bags containing the fuel within a rigid tank so water can be allowed to enter (outside the bag of course) to get the thing to sink.

Also a flooding cockpit means the bloack opps team or whoever can leave the vehicle under water.

Anywhey what do you guys/girls think??

this is not the first time this idea has been on the usa black board.