Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Bush defends Iraq invasion

Fluffybunny

Geez...the reasons for going to war keep changing...Now just having the capability of producing WMD seems to be enough for regime change...That is scary considering that dozens of labs and even universities in the US(and all over the world) have the capability of producing checmical and biological weapons.

As this unfolds, the US looks worse and worse in the eyes of the world. I don't for the life of me see how people here can still be supportive of Bush after what he has done to the image of our country. He has made us look like war mongering fools that are willing to invade a country based on lies and deceptions, killing thousands of innocent people in the process. Absolutely unbelievable foolish wrecklessness on his part. It seems like some folks here are not capable of understanding that the damage that has been done by Bushes actions will haunt us for decades, without offering much of a benefit. We didn't get stockpiles of WMD out of circulation...and lets not even go to the terrorists-9/11 connection...

Folks, look at what your government is doing in your name. You were sold a bill of goods and lied to in the process. This is getting sadder by the day.

OAK RIDGE, Tennessee (AP) -- President Bush defended his decision to invade Iraq even as he conceded on Monday that investigators had not found the weapons of mass destruction that he had warned the country possessed.

Allowing Iraq to possibly transfer weapons capability to terrorists was not a risk he was willing to take, Bush said.

"Although we have not found stockpiles of weapons of mass destruction, we were right to go into Iraq," Bush said after inspecting a display of nuclear weapons parts and equipment, including assembled gas centrifuges for uranium enrichment, from Libya.

We removed a declared enemy of America who had the capability of producing weapons of mass murder and could have passed that capability to terrorists bent on acquiring them. In the world after September 11th, that was a risk we could not afford to take," Bush said.

The president offered a broad new defense of the March 2003 invasion of Iraq three days after the release of a Senate report that harshly criticized unsubstantiated intelligence cited in the run-up to the war in Iraq, a crucial battle in the war on terrorism.

The key U.S. assertions leading to the 2003 invasion of Iraq -- that Saddam Hussein had chemical and biological weapons and was working to make nuclear weapons -- were wrong and based on false or overstated CIA analyses, a scathing Senate Intelligence Committee report asserted Friday.

Intelligence analysts fell victim to "group think" assumptions that Iraq had weapons when it did not, the bipartisan report concluded. Many factors contributing to those failures are ongoing problems within the U.S. intelligence community, which cannot be fixed with more money alone, it said.

Bush has used similar rhetoric in speeches for months, but the words took on added significance in light of the latest report condemning the Iraq intelligence.

Bush's trip to Tennessee was designed to showcase a victory in his administration's campaign against weapons of mass destruction.

Bush was shown nuclear weapons parts and equipment from Libya, and called them "sobering evidence of a great danger." It was the White House's second effort to shine a spotlight on the Libyan victory. Several months ago, the White House arranged a tour for journalists of the equipment.

Link

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bathory

• Fluffybunny

• Babs

• Naveed

It's a fact Libya "got right" because of our stand against terrorism and our invasion of Iraq. Others, I hope, will follow, that way we won't have to go down that "axis of evil" trail. I think you are deluding yourself, fluffy.

So you are saying that it is OK for the president of the US to overthrow a government and kill thousands of innocent people all based on lies and misinformation?

Fluffy is absolutely correct. Bush just wanted economic gain as well as finishing his father's crusade. Bush couldn't care less about the innocent people that died. No matter what Bush does, people will follow him, simply because they believe it to be patriotic, and "right" to do. Babs, it is you who is deluded towards this madness.

Geez...the reasons for going to war keep changing...Now just having the capability of producing WMD seems to be enough for regime change...That is scary considering that dozens of labs and even universities in the US(and all over the world) have the capability of producing checmical and biological weapons.

Yeah, but we went in because they either had WMDs, or had the capability to make WMDs. Either way Iraq under Saddams reign was not supposed to have them or the capability to them.

Edited by Naveed

Yeah, but we went in because they either had WMDs, or had the capability to make WMDs. Either way Iraq under Saddams reign was not supposed to have them or the capability to them.

I may be wrong, but I haven't seen any information saying that we have even found the equipment that would make iraq capable of making "stockpiles of WMD"...

So you are saying that it is OK for the president of the US to overthrow a government and kill thousands of innocent people all based on lies and misinformation?

We didn't do that. Fluffy, we see things differently. There are two idealogies at war here.

are you saying Saddam should have stayed in power?

rolleyes.gif

lets put this into perspective

multiple intelligence agencies, US, British, Saudi, Russian, Israeli blah blah blah claimed Saddam had wmds

Leaders have been saying Saddam has WMDs for years, go read Clinton's numerous speeches on the topic

Congress saw the exact same evidence that Bush did

Congress agreed with what Bush wanted to do

The UN saw the exact same evidence as Bush did

Opposition occured from France, Germany and Russia, three countries owed billions by Saddam, all with lucrative illegal oil deals in place ready to go into effect once Iraq had its sanctions dropped

What do you think Bush should have done?

hmmmmm?

Opposition occurred from France, Germany and Russia, three countries owed billions by Saddam, all with lucrative illegal oil deals in place ready to go into effect once Iraq had it's sanctions dropped

Sounds like a lot of double-dealing going on to me. cool.gif What do you think about this, fluffy?

If Bush is doing the right thing here, and not just for economic gain, then why not invade all the other "oppressing" countries? Why not take away all dictatorships? Explain why your leader doesn't invade countries that impose the same rules, or similar rules that Saddam did. And no, I do not believe that Saddam should have stayed in power. In fact, he never should have been in power. Let's see... Who put him in power... A better way to have done it would have been to assassinate all of the lookalikes of Saddam, as well as Saddam himself and his whole extended family. Sure, innocent people could die from that, but not as many as the war has caused.

what i cant believe is that bush still defends the whole thing the same way he was for like the last 6 months, and suckers still fall for his bable.

at least say something new ha

what i cant believe is that bush still defends the whole thing the same way he was for like the last 6 months, and suckers still fall for his bable.

at least say something new ha

I think someone has been watching a bit to much Micheal Moore. wink2.gif

Edited by Naveed

what?

i dont like fat people, they disgust me like republicans.

And now you are flip flopping like John Kerry.

If Bush is doing the right thing here, and not just for economic gain, then why not invade all the other "oppressing" countries?

why? why spread forces out thin? your logic unfortunately doesn't work out in a real life military conflict.

Remember kids, we are in a war against Islamofascism, the US had to pick a legitamate target which would make strategic sense.

what?

Lets try and avoid this kind of comment in future .

It's not neccisary .

what?

Here is a shiny new dollar coin:

user posted image

Why don't you run along and go play now...thanks.

rolleyes.gif

If the Arabs don't want us there, we should leave.... and take all our money and industry with us. We infedels bringing them cell phones and name brand shirts. tongue.gif

A 14 year old and a computer can be a dangerous thing.

Saddam was contained, there was no logical or legal reason to go in at the time we did and start a war. The U.N.'s own inspection group had stated on several occasions that they were not finding the evidence to prove the massive violations of the cease fire agreement, nor U.N. sanctions. Again the intel that all these countries had, came from a relitivley small group of informants, most of whom were disidents or had fled Saddam's Iraq. Very little physical evidence was present at the time the U.S. went to the U.N to make it's case for war.

However, had France, Russia and Germany agreed to go ahead with the coalition's plans of attack and support the U.S. and U.K., then it is very likely Saddam would have either fled Iraq, or surrendered to the will of the U.N. Either way, it would have saved the lives of thousands in Iraq. It also would have deflated the terrorist groups because the world was against Saddam, not just the U.S. / U.K.

Once again, money won out over what was right and human lives.

I still feel, that Bush and Blair should have made damn sure that thier Intel was 100% on the money before committing billions of dollars and thousands of lives to a war that may be the downfall of our global relations.

Edited by stillcrazy

I think someone has been watching a bit to much Micheal Moore.

can someone give me a link to disprove fahrenheit 911.

If you haven't seen it, go and watch it....

Why do people still think the war was just?

where is the proof?

you think they would of found some by now...

Edited by Dowdy

If the Arabs don't want us there, we should leave.... and take all our money and industry with us. We infedels bringing them cell phones and name brand shirts.

Those arabs with all their oil. rolleyes.gif

tah tah

Well at least you had a chance to say your farewells. wavey.gif