Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The zombie of Gladwish Wood

UM-Bot

Matt Forde: Nestling amid the beautiful countryside of the Sussex Weald there is a little village called Burwash, where listed buildings flank the neat, meandering high street and rows of deciduous trees lead the visitor east to the 11th century church of St Bartholomew. A quaint and pleasant slice of English village life, indeed.

But underneath the picturesque, historic exterior lurks a dark legend concerning the woods that lie a little to the south. It is a legend that tells of the tragic demise of a man who would be fated to return from death to split the stillness of the East Sussex countryside with the horrific wailing of the tormented. The ghastly phantom that supposedly stalks through the aged trees of Gladwish Wood is believed to be David Leaney (perhaps Leary), a 19 year-old farm labourer who, despite insisting that he was innocent of the crime of murder, was hanged in 1825. Witnesses maintain that the unfortunate Leaney is ever restless, perhaps striving futilely to put right an ancient wrong.

arrow3.gifView: Full Article

• 2 weeks later...

Weird,Makes me want to go and have a look around.

lol me too

Oh, a ghost that looks like a decomposing corpse. I was gonna say "FLESH DOES NOT WORK THAT WAY".

Anyway, that's... Strange. Ghosts usually don't manifest in such ways, though if his death was very traumatic it's possible. Still, odds are it's all a scam.

• 1 month later...

I haven't ever heard of anything manifesting as a "zombie" and walking through woods. This is an interesting article though. I agree with Lizardian_guy... odds are it's a scam.

I also haven't heard of a manifesting zombie, most likely its a scam but still very interesting.

• 4 years later...

Part of Gladwish Wood has been cleared and a housing estate built on it. If there was a gurgling zombie wandering about I think it would have made the front pages of the papers. I remember reading about this many years ago. It is a frightening story, but I doubt its authenticity.

• Like 1

It's hard to say. I've seen an apparition of a ghost before so I don't disbelieve in ghosts. There are a million and one tales of ghosts being seen in specific areas and most have to do with something traumatic happening to someone in that area. I guess it's possible that this is no different. It could very well be an angry spirit. Of course, it could also be put out there for attention to a specific place. If you've never been there for yourself then how can you judge?