Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Wild Cat Found Mimicking Monkey Calls

Still Waters

In a fascinating example of vocal mimicry, researchers from the Wildlife Conservation Society (WCS) and UFAM (Federal University of Amazonas) have documented a wild cat species imitating the call of its intended victim: a small, squirrel-sized monkey known as a pied tamarin. This is the first recorded instance of a wild cat species in the Americas mimicking the calls of its prey.

The extraordinary behavior was recorded by researchers from the Wildlife Conservation Society and UFAM in the Amazonian forests of the Reserva Florestal Adolpho Ducke in Brazil. The observations confirmed what until now had been only anecdotal reports from Amazonian inhabitants of wild cat species -- including jaguars and pumas -- actually mimicking primates, agoutis, and other species in order to draw them within striking range.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Druidus-Logos

• Eldorado

• BaneSilvermoon

• Sakari

Thats awesome that they can do that, now they have an even higher reputation as hunters!

Thats awesome that they can do that, now they have an even higher reputation as hunters!

Cruel predators.

They torture their victims before killing them.

Cruel predators.

So do some humans! Looks like we found another species we can relate to! :w00t:

Anyone who's ever had a cat can tell you they are pretty intelligent. They succeed very well at getting us to do what they want and they can get their point across. Must say that bigger kitty is beautiful. Doesn't sound like we can really sell the monkeys short on smarts either. At least not this time.

*rubs her paws together* Oh yes.. we shall soon take over the world! MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Tis really sad that the most beautiful of the cats, imo, is in great danger.

"There are an estimated 400 Sumatran tigers left in Indonesia and an additional 150 in captivity elsewhere around the world, the ministry says."

http://www.thejakartaglobe.com/news/govt-looks-to-earn-its-stripes-in-bali-with-plans-to-rescue-sumatran-tigers/384725

That's really interesting, would love to see that in action!

That's really interesting, would love to see that in action!

You'd love to see a cat killing a monkey? hmm

You'd love to see a cat killing a monkey? hmm

I have a background in zoology and animal behaviour, it's unique way of hunting, why would I not be interested in observing it?

Edited by Cetacea

I have a background in zoology and animal behaviour, it's unique way of hunting, why would I not be interested in observing it?

Well, that's different. I forgive you.

Now get back to the World Cup thread, your country is playing tonight.

All cats are natural sociopaths to those they consider prey. But they are intelligent, especially the large wild cats. And as someone mentioned, it is supremely lamentable that creatures as wondrous as the Sumatran tiger are in danger of being wiped from existence; being reduced to a mere memory.

I think that this actually speaks of more intelligence in these cats than may have been previously considered. What mechanism in the brain do they use to mimic? Do they have something like mirror neurons, for sounds?

I think the late, great George Carlin described it best. The difference between cats and dogs is this: we walk our dogs and feed them and they get excited and look at us like gods, cats get humans to pick them up, clean their litter box and feed them, and they think THEY are gods.

^_^

I think the late, great George Carlin described it best. The difference between cats and dogs is this: we walk our dogs and feed them and they get excited and look at us like gods, cats get humans to pick them up, clean their litter box and feed them, and they think THEY are gods.

^_^

And they were once(still) worshiped as gods, rightfully so!

It's a pretty kitty though. <3

Awsome as well. ^_^

wow that's pretty awesome. I wonder how long they've been able to do this.

^_^

That's why I love crows and ravens. They do not need us at all, they just stay with us whenever they like or think they need.

I had a tame crow once. He was absolutely great at mimicking sounds of just about anything.

He had us all running about the house, immitating flushing toilets, squeeking doors, crashing glass, knocking on doors, giggling, and so on.

And always, at the end of his 'show' and after he had us running around the house, he ended with a well meant 'harrr harrrr harrrr', a sound so similar to laughing we all had to laugh ourselves.

That's why I love crows and ravens. They do not need us at all, they just stay with us whenever they like or think they need.I had a tame crow once. He was absolutely great at mimicking sounds of just about anything.He had us all running about the house, immitating flushing toilets, squeeking doors, crashing glass, knocking on doors, giggling, and so on.And always, at the end of his 'show' and after he had us running around the house, he ended with a well meant 'harrr harrrr harrrr', a sound so similar to laughing we all had to laugh ourselves.

Im a bit jealous, i was going to tame a baby magpie that had fallen from its nest but the wee blighter escaped out the window lol. It would be cool having one as your flying minion, send it into town and see what shiny things it comes back with lol alas ill have to make do with a chicken lol.

My old cats managed to figure out how to open the door to the kitchen and would always be found eating buns and butter, then hed scarper up the stairs and escape out a broken window LOL

Not so strange perhaps ... those of us with "domestic" cats will often see them mimicking bird chirps when the cat spots a bird.

Wow, this gives a whole new dimension of the proverbial "the wolf in sheep's clothing".

Cruel predators.

Not true, they tire them out to avoid injury, look it up.

All cats are natural sociopaths to those they consider prey. But they are intelligent, especially the large wild cats. And as someone mentioned, it is supremely lamentable that creatures as wondrous as the Sumatran tiger are in danger of being wiped from existence; being reduced to a mere memory.

I think that this actually speaks of more intelligence in these cats than may have been previously considered. What mechanism in the brain do they use to mimic? Do they have something like mirror neurons, for sounds?

This is mainly about birds but the theory is the same for all animals that have the ability to mimic.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/04/090430121936.htm

ScienceDaily (May 1, 2009) — Researchers at Harvard University have found that humans aren’t the only ones who can groove to a beat — some other species can dance, too. The capability was previously believed to be specific to humans. The research team found that only species that can mimic sound seem to be able to keep a beat, implying an evolutionary link between the two capacities.

Edited by Alladar