Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Scientists develop 'fake' blood for use on

Still Waters

American scientists have developed 'artificial' blood that could soon be used to treat wounded soldiers in battle.

The genetically-engineered blood is created by taking cells from umbilical cords and using a machine to mimic the way bone marrow works to produce mass quantities of usable units of red blood cells.

Known as 'blood pharming' the programme was launched in 2008 by the Pentagon's experimental arm, Darpa, to create blood to treat soldiers in far-flung battlefields.

The firm Arteriocyte, which received $1.95 million for the project, has now sent off its first shipment of O-negative blood to the food and drugs watchdog in the US, the FDA.

The blood is made by using hematopoietic cells taken from umbilical cords in a process called ‘pharming’ – using genetically engineered plants or animals to create mass quantities of useful substances.

One umbilical cord can be turned into around 20 units of usable blood. A wounded soldier in the field will require an average of six units during treatment.

Blood cells produced using this method are 'functionally indistinguishable from red blood cells in healthy circulation', the company claims.

‘We’re basically mimicking bone marrow in a lab environment,' Arteriocyte boss Don Brown told Wired magazine.

‘Our model works, but we need to extrapolate our production abilities to make scale.’

If approved it could revolutionise battlefields where a shortage of blood donors can hamper treatment of wounded soldiers.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Queen in the North

• Cetacea

• Still Waters

• meankitty

I want someone else to say what I'm thinking.

Only a matter of time before the vampires come out of the coffin now? :D

Edited by Cetacea

As long as there isn't any rejection issues do to the process then it's great. It could certainly take the pressure off donor clinics.

This blood could save people's lives. Good luck to them I say.

Only a matter of time before the vampires come out of the coffin now? :D

I fear you know me too well... :lol:

This blood could save people's lives. Good luck to them I say.

I agree! :)

I fear you know me too well... :lol:

I know because it's the first thing I thought on reading the headline :lol: I was actually thinking as I looked at the topic, this is a serious scientific advancement, I should not be referencing a TV show about vampires, I should say something profound and intelligent but then I saw your comment....

I agree! :)

Me too. It also means I have to feel less guilty about not wanting to donate blood because I'm petrified of people taking my blood.

I know because it's the first thing I thought on reading the headline :lol: I was actually thinking as I looked at the topic, this is a serious scientific advancement, I should not be referencing a TV show about vampires, I should say something profound and intelligent but then I saw your comment....

Well then you're obviously the same as me in that when it comes to that TV show, profound and intelligent pretty much goes out the window from the get-go :D:P

Me too. It also means I have to feel less guilty about not wanting to donate blood because I'm petrified of people taking my blood.

You wouldn't mind if it was a particular Viking vampire at your local unit ;)... Dammnit I'm not even old enough to give blood!

I don't understand why this stuff is announced publicly. Now, all of the other countries are going to copy and do the same thing for when THEY are in war or whatever. But, I like the idea.

My concern is that it will be harmful in clinical trials. These may seem identical and without being a biologist, I wonder if the blood cells are produced the same way.

Lets hope this stuff doesnt mutate into a virus that makes people crave blood.

0 negative comments, B positive. I give it an A+. Bloody good!