Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Greeks to Gas 15,000 Dogs Before Olympics

DC09

EXPERTS fear up to 15,000 stray dogs will be poisoned before next month's Athens Olympics so the city looks "pristine".

Authorities in the Greek capital fear the sight of packs roaming the streets will damage the country's bid to show it is modern and civilised, the RSPCA said yesterday.

Greek animal welfare groups say slaughter of the city's estimated 15,000 strays has started. Eighty dogs have been found dead in Saronida, a coastal resort where members of the British team are expected to stay.

One animal welfare activist said: "There's been a big increase in poisonings and we expect it to rise sharply."

David Bowles of RSPCA International has been helping to train Greek officials to catch and treat strays humanely.

He said: "We're seriously concerned thousands of dogs will be poisoned so Greece can show Athens is a pristine, modern city. It would be barbaric and would solve nothing."

He added: "A lot of the local authorities don't know how to treat dogs humanely."

Another senior RSPCA official added: "If the Greeks continue to poison dogs they can't consider themselves civilised."

The authorities insist there will be no mass poisoning but Athens' few dog shelters are already crowded.

Greece has little tradition of caring for strays.

Poisoning animals is a crime there but it is the usual method of keeping numbers down and is used unofficially by some local councils.

A spokesman for the Greek Embassy in London said animal welfare was taken seriously in Greece. "Measures have been taken to improve standards."

Article

crying.gif

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dowdy

• Falco Rex

• BurnSide

• Pandora

Top Posters In This Topic

This olympics should be quite interesting...

user posted image

Maybe instead me should gas 15,000 state officials who're backing this move as a warning to others who murder innocents

Joy, that's EXACTLY how to make the place seem more civilized. **** off. ARRGH GOD i hate this stupid planet.

'Hmmm. The city doesn't look modern and civilized enough, we may look silly to the people of the world who are watching the Olympics'.

'Hey, here's an idea, lets kill all the stray dogs. That way we'll be civilized, even though no one watching from home is probably going to see a dog anyway, but who cares, i've been meaning to have a little fun!'

'Righto!'

Why in the world do they think they need to look modern? Their main attraction as a city is the fact that they have 3,000 year old ruins. This move is just cruel and senseless to me...

Yeah, their country is going to look real pristine with all the blood on their hands. I was going to watch the Olympics but I'm not anymore.

Yeah, their country is going to look real pristine with all the blood on their hands. I was going to watch the Olympics but I'm not anymore.

when the USA wins their first gold medal. ie. the first 15min of the olympics then i'll bet you'll be watching.

Everyone is going to watch it regardless no matter what they did, like how everyone watched the war in Iraq. It's all about patriotism and to see who's winning thumbsup.gif

Maybe instead of murdering innocent animals who deserve to live far more than these people they should be concentrating on actually getting the facilities for the olympics completed. They wont just be a laughing stock if they dont get it completed but a despised country for what they have done to these animals. disgust.gif