Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

'£500-a-week? I can earn more on benefits!',

chemical-licker

'£500-a-week? I can earn more on benefits!', unemployed driver tells stunned haulage boss

A haulage boss was left stunned after an unemployed driver rejected the offer of a job paying more than £500 a week so he could remain on benefits.

Graham Poole, the managing director of a 23-wagon fleet in Rochdale, offered the job to the man who had been out of work for 18 months only to be told told it was not enough to have him come off government handouts.

The man turned the job down claiming he could get more money on benefits by 'sitting around at home'.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1295236/500-week-I-earn-benefits--unemployed-driver-tells-stunned-haulage-boss.html#ixzz0tqf9IK9w

Come on over world we welcome you with open arms:lol:

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• keithisco

• danielost

• Eldorado

• Admiral Danger

Top Posters In This Topic

He should have his benefits taken away for rejecting a perfectly good job, I'd bite someone's hand off for £500 a week.

Something fishy about this story.

He was supposedly sent by the Job Centre to the interview which means he's on Jobseekers Allowance.

Jobseekers Allowance is £64.30 a week....lol

(plus you need a helluva good excuse for turning down an offer of full-time work)

Something fishy about this story.

He was supposedly sent by the Job Centre to the interview which means he's on Jobseekers Allowance.

Jobseekers Allowance is £64.30 a week....lol

(plus you need a helluva good excuse for turning down an offer of full-time work)

But add in his spouses allowance, his 50 kids allowance, his 8000 pound housing benefit allowance (per month) and everything else, he needs at least half a million squids a year to survive (yes, I am being sarcastic).

I do not believe he actually gets more by being unemployed. he is just a workshy "S**T". Withdraw all of his benefits, he is supposed to provide for his family, and surely this is enough money? Probably gets in the way of his daytime TV , Ladbrokes, and his "White Cider". If this job is given to an immigrant then I say good luck to him / her, and least the legals want to work. :angry2:

18 months scabbing off of workers??

Edited by keithisco

I agree, Keithisco...

But I think if a person is "better off" not working, then it's the System that's at fault.

What I think is really the case with this guy is not he's sitting around at home but that he's actually already working and claiming at the same time.

No-one should be "worse-off" with a £500 per week job.

Having worked with the severely disabled I know that even they do not receive that amount per week.

Edited by Eldorado

'£500-a-week? I can earn more on benefits!', unemployed driver tells stunned haulage boss

20 kids is the best and easiest way to become a millionare in this country and gain yourself a mansion.

20 kids is the best and easiest way to become a millionare in this country and gain yourself a mansion.

Well, that's it PL.

If you're fit and available you should be made to work, imo.

If you had to work for your benefits there'd be plenty fighting for £500 jobs....lol

Lots of work to be done around communities.

I agree, Keithisco...

But I think if a person is "better off" not working, then it's the System that's at fault.

What I think is really the case with this guy is not he's sitting around at home but that he's actually already working and claiming at the same time.

No-one should be "worse-off" with a £500 per week job.

Having worked with the severely disabled I know that even they do not receive that amount per week.

I think you have it in one!!The man is a disgrace:angry2:

£500 is more than what both my parents earn in a week :blink:

and if he is in a condition to be able to apply for a job, then he shouldnt be on benefits.

that's why my solution of a benefit cap of £250 a week for couples. and £100 a week for singles. and every benefit claimant must pay 10% of the cost of their Rent, if they don't pay rent then council tax. am sure people would be up in arms, but if they dont like it they can get a job. but the government has to help with incentives. good incentives so those who work are better off, well better off than those on benefits.

that's why my solution of a benefit cap of £250 a week for couples. and £100 a week for singles. and every benefit claimant must pay 10% of the cost of their Rent, if they don't pay rent then council tax. am sure people would be up in arms, but if they dont like it they can get a job. but the government has to help with incentives. good incentives so those who work are better off, well better off than those on benefits.

i think it would have to depend on what benefits are being claimed.

what they should do instead is only give benefits to people who would find it impossible to work.

for example, the people who have lost their arms or become paralyzed or have serious health issues.

Edited by THE Dr Alien

Well, that's it PL.

If you're fit and available you should be made to work, imo.

If you had to work for your benefits there'd be plenty fighting for £500 jobs....lol

Lots of work to be done around communities.

if you had 20 kids you would be working.

if you had 20 kids you would be working.

You, as a dweller of the colonies, would never understand this! UK is not some Utah, where a father of 20 works hard to feed his siblings! In UK a father of 20 only works to make a 21st one! If he fails, the Government would pay for the artificial fertilization. I have to give a credit to Her Majesty, she is literally a Goddess, as she managed to make her Queendom to become God's Kingdom on Earth. Come to me, all wretched and botched, she says, and I would pay you a benefit. This is indeed a place where the proletarians of all countries united to join the social security queue, and a fox in this country is no longer trying to escape the hunters, but on the contrary, chases them. Long live the Queen!

You, as a dweller of the colonies, would never understand this! UK is not some Utah, where a father of 20 works hard to feed his siblings! In UK a father of 20 only works to make a 21st one! If he fails, the Government would pay for the artificial fertilization. I have to give a credit to Her Majesty, she is literally a Goddess, as she managed to make her Queendom to become God's Kingdom on Earth. Come to me, all wretched and botched, she says, and I would pay you a benefit. This is indeed a place where the proletarians of all countries united to join the social security queue, and a fox in this country is no longer trying to escape the hunters, but on the contrary, chases them. Long live the Queen!

i was thinking only of the work of just being a daddy to 20 kids.

i was thinking only of the work of just being a daddy to 20 kids.

Try your own luck! If you have 20, they would let you to live in Buckingham palace! We all actually need to think about moving there.

Try your own luck! If you have 20, they would let you to live in Buckingham palace! We all actually need to think about moving there.

if i get to move into buckingham would that make me king.

Argh i'd kill to get paid that much oO really.

My foster mum about 5 years ago! She got as follows;

1. Housing benifit £650 pcm

2. Council tax est £150pcm

3. Disability mobility allowance £200pcm (given a car) at the time it was a honda cv4? 4x4. Brand new and detailed automatic. Bearing in mind she was able to get a new car ever 1-3 years! I think it was either a car or £250 a month at the time

4. Disability allowance £210 pcm, which also can have the chance to increase the amount recieved by other benifits

5. Child allowance £115 a week or a month? think it was a week!

I rounded of the figurs PCM to the lowest estimate she got not including other benifits she was entitled to and the CT was higher im sure so give or take £50 a month on that.

So she recieved between £1325 - £1500 a month!

A couple of quotes here!

Effect on other benefits and entitlements

If you start to get Disability Living Allowance it might increase the amount of other benefits or credits you're entitled to, such as:

* Income Support

* Income-related Employment and Support Allowance

* Income-based Jobseeker's Allowance

* Pension Credit

* Housing Benefit

* Council Tax Benefit

* Working Tax Credit

* Child Tax Credit

So in my low end estimate i didnt take into account the rise in what she recieved due to high disability allowance ALSO you are entitled to work 15 hours a week and for it to not effect your benifits, It did at the time with accoirdance to disability. So you can throw in an extra £87 PW

Says it all really....too depressing to think about - :hmm: It's not that the Political Parties in themselves are so bad, it's just that if you want to change this ridiculous system you then get called every name under the sun and then genuine claimants are rolled out as being examples of the people that would be hurt by reform.

Roll out the White Cider drinkers, the hangers - on, the Lazy, the criminal, the obnoxious, in front of national TV and let the population see what is really happening, see what a complete mess of "Land of Hope and Glory" the do-gooders, the PC correct (step up Claire Short and Harriet Harman), and all the other chinless wonders have done to a once - great nation.

Nobody listens though, and I just do not understand why! I am just glad that my daughter does not have to live there anymore.

Says it all really....too depressing to think about - :hmm: It's not that the Political Parties in themselves are so bad, it's just that if you want to change this ridiculous system you then get called every name under the sun and then genuine claimants are rolled out as being examples of the people that would be hurt by reform.

Roll out the White Cider drinkers, the hangers - on, the Lazy, the criminal, the obnoxious, in front of national TV and let the population see what is really happening, see what a complete mess of "Land of Hope and Glory" the do-gooders, the PC correct (step up Claire Short and Harriet Harman), and all the other chinless wonders have done to a once - great nation.

Nobody listens though, and I just do not understand why! I am just glad that my daughter does not have to live there anymore.

I'ts sad makes me wish my dad had gone to america when i was younger! I know alot wouldnt pick america but eh we got family there and tbh my dad and us could of made a great life out there! uk stinks atm and not enough cba to do anything about it

Ridiculous that that guy gets more than 500 a week on benefits. 500 pounds a week is a lot of money for most people, I'd sign for that.

The benefit ratio for singles should be higher than that. Like 250 for couples, like 150-160 for singles. Couples don't have that much more expenses compared to singles, since they would both live in the same house, they would have pretty much the same maintenance and/or rent as a single person, gas bill would be rougly the same etc. Water, electricity, food would be cheaper for the single person, but those arent cut in half either compared to a couple.

Edited by Aztur