Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Ancient champagne from 1780s found

Still Waters

Divers have discovered what is thought to be the world's oldest drinkable champagne in a shipwreck in the Baltic Sea.

They have already tested out the contents of one bottle and claim it tastes 'fantastic' despite dating back to the late 18th century.

Diving instructor Christian Ekstrom said the bottles are believed to be from the 1780s and likely were part of a cargo destined for Russia.

'We brought up the bottle to be able to establish how old the wreck was. We didn't know it would be champagne. We thought it was wine or something,' he said.

Ekstrom said the divers were overjoyed when they popped the cork on their boat after hauling the bubbly from a depth of 200 feet (60 meters).

'It tasted fantastic. It was a very sweet champagne, with a tobacco taste and oak,' Ekstrom said.

The divers discovered the shipwreck Tuesday near the Aland Islands, between Sweden and Finland. About 30 bottles are believed to be aboard the sunken vessel.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• OverSword

• ShadowSot

• Funi

• Still Waters

Ancient?

1780's? The United States is older than that, by a smidge.

'It tasted fantastic. It was a very sweet champagne, with a tobacco taste and oak,' Ekstrom said.

You could probably seel the stuff for more than it's weight in gold... and aren't there rules against drinking and diving?

Ancient?

1780's? The United States is older than that, by a smidge.

You could probably seel the stuff for more than it's weight in gold... and aren't there rules against drinking and diving?

Yes there is the R from rules against it :P and it would sell for up to 50 000 pounds according to the article.. however knowing what ego can do.. I presume that was seriously underestimated :D

Edited by Paracelse

Aye...there's nowt quite like the taste of tobacco and oak.

lol

Aye...there's nowt quite like the taste of tobacco and oak.

lol

Many of the alcohols we drink fermented in oak barrels.

I'm surprise a bottle that old, especially under the sea, kept it's seal and fizz for so long. That must be good stuff!

That's just amazing, considering the oldest on record is 1828 (I think they said?). This is truly "Vintage" Champers! :w00t:

• 2 months later...

What i wouldn't give for to taste one of those bottles...

• 2 months later...

I had no idea we had the tools to make champagne back then?

Must have had a LONG process to create the pressure resistant glass for the champagne..

I had no idea we had the tools to make champagne back then?

Must have had a LONG process to create the pressure resistant glass for the champagne..

Glass blowing is a old technique.