Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Woman claims cancer cured by prayer

Still Waters

You think her believing a miracle sent from God implies that she believes that people who are not cured are not worthy of a cure making them inferior to her in her mind? Man that's twisted to the point,and forgive me for saying, of stupidity. And Oh yeah. That villanous christianity! How dare it give her the strength of conviction to believe a miracle can happen. And don't get me wrong, I don't mean to imply you're a negative jerk, but you sound a little bitter.

then explain why so many people die. why did God choose her OverSword?

answer that question before calling me stupid

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• The Silver Thong

• Rocketgirl33

• OverSword

• Dr. D

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

then explain why so many people die. why did God choose her

There is no answer to that unless you believe that a god made her sick then cured her. I can't see it being so nor will I ever understand someones reasoning to either blame a god or credit a god.

Is it possible that the initial diagnosis was wrong? Not much medical history given here to go on.

Is it possible that the initial diagnosis was wrong? Not much medical history given here to go on.

I can say with confidence there is a medical answer not a paranormal answer.

Wow, prayers cured a woman's cancer? Amazing! Praise Jesus for going into her body and zapping all the cancerous cells. Thank God for prayer, otherwise, millions of people would be dying from disease.

^^^

Obvious sarcasm.

Not to be rude, but my frustration stems from this notion that there's some entity up there that allows starving people in third-world nations to die and have their bodies infested by flies. It makes my heart ache seeing babies who are basically skeletal... born into that kind of pain and suffering. I can't even imagine.

From what I got out of the article, the doctors did not operate until the girl had this tumor for a number of years. A tumor in the brain is not something anyone should take lightly and the fact that it's position was operable is fortunate but not a miracle. This does happen often. The article says that when the doctors operated they found a dead tumor. What was meant by that? A mass of dead cells or a non-malignant mass? It's more possible that the tumor was never cancerous in the first place. Was there a biopsy? If there was, this was not the first operation and the tumor could have been removed at that time. Should have been in fact. Without knowing the exact position of the tumor it's hard to say.

Edited by susieice

Wow, prayers cured a woman's cancer? Amazing! Praise Jesus for going into her body and zapping all the cancerous cells. Thank God for prayer, otherwise, millions of people would be dying from disease.

^^^

Obvious sarcasm.

Not to be rude, but my frustration stems from this notion that there's some entity up there that allows starving people in third-world nations to die and have their bodies infested by flies. It makes my heart ache seeing babies who are basically skeletal... born into that kind of pain and suffering. I can't even imagine.

you got it :yes:

Just want to add that I tried to google the type of tumor this girl was diagnosed with. If I caught it right it was an Askin tumor which is found in the chest wall, not the brain.

http://www.springerlink.com/content/w577jx0604442615/

While it is usually malignant, the location again makes me question the original diagnosis.

It's also not diagnosed through imagery but by studying the changes in the structure of the cells.

Edited by susieice

How does she know that it was the praying that cured her cancer, and not a special keychain she happened to have?

That said, cancer does occationally disappear on its own. Prayer or not.

Indeed, people try to atribute two completely seperate things to eachother. Which is kind of in our nature, we want/need answers (one of the reasons to be religious), and we'd like to think we have more influence/control than we actually do.

Praying is a bit like having a "lucky" shirt to wear to a football match.

You wear your lucky shirt (praying), and hey, your team wins! (cancer cured), the shirt (prayer) must be responsible for that! Next time, you wear the shirt again (praying again), and wow, your team wins again (got rid of your headache). And you try it again (praying again), and darnit, it didn't work, your team lost, what could have gone wrong? Oh, the label was out (didn't have enough faith), that's what caused it, for sure...

You think her believing a miracle sent from God implies that she believes that people who are not cured are not worthy of a cure making them inferior to her in her mind? Man that's twisted to the point,and forgive me for saying, of stupidity. And Oh yeah. That villanous christianity! How dare it give her the strength of conviction to believe a miracle can happen. And don't get me wrong, I don't mean to imply you're a negative jerk, but you sound a little bitter.

People who care about scientific progress in the onslaught of meaningless, pseudo-voodoo nonsense are going to sound a tad bitter I'm afraid.

and yet reality has just been altered to one where the patient feels no pain.

That isn't "reality being altered", any more than "reality altering" to get rid of your headache when you take paracetamol.

Do to seriously think that's a productive path to go down? That our own bodies can stop pain even without us being aware of it it amazing, and the concept of the "placebo" needs thorough scientific investigation, not some pseudo-sci-fi "altering reality" nonsense. How far do you think a society can progress with that kind of fuzzy, nebulous logic?

Hope this works as this is my first post! I am a natural born skeptic of just about everything that can't be explained by science. If praying really worked, why wouldn't everybody who has prayed for world peace received their wish?

Under test conditions its been shown that people in medical situations who are prayed for actually get worse, probably due to the stress of the extra expectation put on them.

I could believe it. The power of prayer is very very strong. Mantra's also cure any diseases known to man. If one is to Chant the 1000 names of Devi or Durga one will be of all diseases and mis fortunes. It is said this LALITHA SAHASRANAMA By mediating on Mother Lalitha as seated in the midst of the nectar-ocean, and repeating this Sahasranama, poison (if taken in) can be digested (and assimilated).

Are you willing for you, or one of your children or parents, to be poisoned under laboratory conditions with this as the only cure? Thought not.

Science has surpassed god and is leaving him in the dust.

I like you.

then explain why so many people die. why did God choose her OverSword?

answer that question before calling me stupid

Did I say God cured her? Not calling you stupid, just saying what harm is it doing you if she believes this? And if the answer is not at all then why the combustible reaction to her belief? Take 5 deep breaths or something.

Did I say God cured her? Not calling you stupid, just saying what harm is it doing you if she believes this? And if the answer is not at all then why the combustible reaction to her belief? Take 5 deep breaths or something.

Because if SHE believes that God saves HER, it implies that God did NOT save all of the other thousands of people. How is that so hard to follow?

In addition, don't be condescending when someone is making a valid argument to a topic they have an emotional attachment to.

Because if SHE believes that God saves HER, it implies that God did NOT save all of the other thousands of people. How is that so hard to follow?

In addition, don't be condescending when someone is making a valid argument to a topic they have an emotional attachment to.

Very true, and it also encourages people to believe God can heal them. I've mentioned this story here before, but I had a friend whose mother had breast cancer and fueled by stories like these and some other influences I'm not really sure of, she kept it hidden from her family and tried to pray herself well. This worked for others like this lady, so why not her, right? She didn't tell her family because they would have forced her to seek medical attention, and not putting full faith and trust in God and prayer by looking elsewhere (medical treatment), would she believed interfere with the healing powers of God by showing doubt. So when it finally failed, she told her family, but the cancer had advanced much further, and her survival chances were lessened by the amount of time lost she'd spent keeping it secret and praying. So sure, it seems that it's no bigs if this woman believes God heals her, but there's also a message this sends out to other people, who are afraid and desperate for their life, looking for a miracle who will buy into this, and sometimes with detrimental outcomes.

Think of it this way, it only implies that God saved her for now, eventually she will end up a rotting carcass just like the rest of us, and I'll bet she know it too. Furthermore I'll bet that she thinks that now she owes God her life and will most likley spend it doing good for other people. I don't know this but would be willing to bet, based on the amount of religious faith she shows, that that is the type of person she is.

As far as being condescending towards a valid argument, I apologize, but still don't believe you have a valid reason to be so upset with this womans belief.

Very true, and it also encourages people to believe God can heal them. I've mentioned this story here before, but I had a friend whose mother had breast cancer and fueled by stories like these and some other influences I'm not really sure of, she kept it hidden from her family and tried to pray herself well. This worked for others like this lady, so why not her, right? She didn't tell her family because they would have forced her to seek medical attention, and not putting full faith and trust in God and prayer by looking elsewhere (medical treatment), would she believed interfere with the healing powers of God by showing doubt. So when it finally failed, she told her family, but the cancer had advanced much further, and her survival chances were lessened by the amount of time lost she'd spent keeping it secret and praying. So sure, it seems that it's no bigs if this woman believes God heals her, but there's also a message this sends out to other people, who are afraid and desperate for their life, looking for a miracle who will buy into this, and sometimes with detrimental outcomes.

Apples and oranges my friend, this girl was getting real medical treatment too, therefore was fighting her battle with every weapon in her arsenal. In the end since doctors haven't told her a medical reason for her, dare I say "miraculous" recovery, then she chooses to credit it to faith. Prove she's wrong. You can't.

Apples and oranges my friend, this girl was getting real medical treatment too, therefore was fighting her battle with every weapon in her arsenal. In the end since doctors haven't told her a medical reason for her, dare I say "miraculous" recovery, then she chooses to credit it to faith. Prove she's wrong. You can't.

And that's just typical...if you don't have an answer, claim God did it. Do you not see how that hinders progress? What if we just said God just loved and favored the milkmaids and spared them from small pox, and sent them a holy miracle? We'd never found the small pox vaccine. It is more beneficial to study these things, why she recovered, and try to understand why.....just pulling a hallelujah and praise God, gets us nowhere in the advancement in treating medical conditions. There's a lot to be said for the mind-body connection in respect to healing, but do we want to study and understand it or stay on the course of these so-called miracles that no one understands and can be used to benefit others to help with these same conditions? Just stamping "God was here" on a recovery stops that dead in its tracks. All you can take away from a story like this, is pray like I did, worship like I did......what it didn't work? Your faith wasn't strong enough........or God works in mysterious ways........or God had a plan for me so I was spared. That does nothing other than to inflate some person's personal beliefs or place their value on their life above others who died of something similar.

Edited by ChloeB

And my concern is not so much what she believed, but more that they are trying to get it "certified" as a miracle. I could care less if she believed sea monkeys healed her, if it helped her get well, but we should be striving to understand why, not close the door on that and label it miracles. When people say "what's wrong with believing it's a miracle?" they turn their back on the kind of skepticism that they have to thank if they came down with epilepsy and seizures that they can get on medication rather than going through an exorcism....that someone once upon a time bothered to challenge beliefs and search for real explanations, rather than warm and fuzzy God miracle.

I am endlessly amused by this premise of a personal God. People tend to take the concept literally, as if it centres around them specifically. If God cures your cancer or saves you from some kind of trouble, praise His holy name and pass the Kool-Aid. But if your kid dies or you lose an arm, suddenly the guy doesn't exist. :lol:

We are a fickle people. If people would only understand that instead of the will of a supernatural mover, results came about through mere chance, they would save themselves a lot of stress.

So her cancer went into remission and suddenly it is the result of her prayers. Strange. How many cancer patients prayed until the end? How many millions of prayers came out of the concentration camps where God's favorite people suffered and died? In a world where half of its people have never received or made a telephone call, what can we expect of quality medical care? People die and cancer research drags on with no viable results. Pharmaceutical companies thrive on the production of drugs but no cure is on the horizon. That is the world we live in and God didn't cure anyone anymore than Benny Hinn did.

I am endlessly amused by this premise of a personal God. People tend to take the concept literally, as if it centres around them specifically. If God cures your cancer or saves you from some kind of trouble, praise His holy name and pass the Kool-Aid. But if your kid dies or you lose an arm, suddenly the guy doesn't exist. :lol:

We are a fickle people. If people would only understand that instead of the will of a supernatural mover, results came about through mere chance, they would save themselves a lot of stress.

I agree with you

A journalist was assigned to the Jerusalem bureau of his newspaper. He

gets an apartment overlooking the Wailing Wall. After several weeks he

realizes that whenever he looks at the wall he sees an old Jewish man

praying vigorously. The journalist wondered whether there was a publishable

story here.

He goes down to the wall, introduces himself and says: "You come every day to the wall. What are you praying for?"

The old man replies: "What am I praying for? In the morning I pray for

world peace, then I pray for the brotherhood of man. I go home, have a

glass of tea, and I come back to the wall to pray for the eradication of illness and disease from the earth."

The journalist is taken by the old man's sincerity and persistence. "You

mean you have been coming to the wall to pray every day for these things?"

The old man nods. "How long have you been coming to the wall to pray for

these things?"

The old man becomes reflective and then replies: "How long? Maybe twenty, twenty-five years."

The amazed journalist finally asks: "How does it feel to come and pray every

day for over 20 years for these things?"

"How does it feel?" the old man replies. "It feels like I'm talking to a wall."

fullywired

I agree with you

story here.

He goes down to the wall, introduces himself and says: "You come every day to the wall. What are you praying for?"

glass of tea, and I come back to the wall to pray for the eradication of illness and disease from the earth."

these things?"

The old man becomes reflective and then replies: "How long? Maybe twenty, twenty-five years."

fullywired

I think I will remember this. Its to the point.

I agree with you

story here.

these things?"

fullywired

I like this. I could not have said it better.

Edited by Rocketgirl33

After an investigation the St. Louis Archdiocese concluded it was the prayers and Chaminnade that cured the cancer.

I'm sure it was a very scientific investigation and completely uncompromising of the rigorous scientific method.

Edit: I'm sure others already mentioned this: what about the millions of people, every year, who try to pray away lethal diseases? When a method of curing is ostensibly 0.00000000001% successful I think it's safe to say that it's a gargantuan waste of time. In fact you'll probably have better luck mixing random junk and eating it, and seeing if that cures you.

Edited by over9millionyearsold