Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Los Angeles trees that smell like semen

Still Waters

Posted (IP: Staff) ·
When it comes to the tree of heaven, Lorraine Johnson doesn’t beat around the bush.

“There’s no doubt,” says the author and native plant expert. “It smells like semen.”

The tall, pin-leafed trees of heaven line downtown sidewalks, take over parks and sprout spontaneously in backyards.Their distinct, pungent odour hovers in the air between mid-June and mid-July when the tree flowers.

It’s a smell many recognize, but few are brazen enough to discuss.

Johnson first noticed it about 20 years ago when she lived on Palmerston Sq. near Christie Pits Park. She says there has been a tree of heaven near every place she’s lived in the city. In her last house there was one right outside her bedroom window.

“I moved in right at the stinky season,” she says, laughing.

How’s that for bedroom karma?

The tree’s scientific name is Ailanthus altissima. Its nicknames — sperm tree, semen tree, ghetto palm, stink tree and tree of hell, to name a few — are much more descriptive.

On the West Coast of the United States they’re colloquially known as the Sperm Trees of Los Angeles.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• _Nyx_

• Mac E

• Still Waters

• EllJay

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't wait to read the posts on this article after a day. That should be a good ;) read.

The other Latin name for the tree is Jerkoffius Maxima.

Its leaf can be dried and used as tobacco, also known as Wuanker-Weed. :innocent:

When in full blossom its "flower" takes on an elongated form, and its latin name are Phallus Extendious.

I has a very very short bloom-time, it range from 4 seconds up to 5 minutes (which puts the female-tree in a depressed mode and left wanting for more). :blush::wub:

But after about 10 minutes of rest, its back again for another short "bloom". :tu:

:w00t:

i dont think it sprout spontaneously. unless your telling me it needs no seeds or roots or cuttings.

i dont think it sprout spontaneously. unless your telling me it needs no seeds or roots or cuttings.

Would that be immaculate conception?

Posted (IP: Staff) ·

Taken from the article....

These days it’s hardly ever planted. The tree is now considered an invasive species because it re-sprouts vigorously. The tree of heaven can be difficult to get rid of because of how quickly it springs up from seeds and rogue roots.

"There's no doubt," says the author and native plant expert. "It smells like semen."

Hmm... so first thing first, how does she know?

Anyways, there's a mushroom that smells pretty bad, like a rotting corps almost. It looks something like this:

Penis%2Bsvamp.jpg

We tend to walk in circles around it.

We have some of these trees in my area. Needless to say mid-summer night walks

under these Busta Nut trees are unpleasant. :mellow:

Hmm... so first thing first, how does she know?

Anyways, there's a mushroom that smells pretty bad, like a rotting corps almost. It looks something like this:

Penis%2Bsvamp.jpg

We tend to walk in circles around it.

mistakenidentitymushroo.png