Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Time travel theory avoids grandfather paradox

Still Waters

I still think the idea of multiple timelines is a desire to hang on to 3-dimensional thinking.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• danielost

• aquatus1

• H.H. Holmes

• StarMountainKid

I still think the idea of multiple timelines is a desire to hang on to 3-dimensional thinking.

no not really it is also a way to work around the paradox.

like i said in the movie star trek, the one where they come back in time to get a whale to take to the future, there is a pair of eyeglasses in it that were never made.

no not really it is also a way to work around the paradox.

A paradox that only exists if you limit yourself to a 3d existence.

like i said in the movie star trek, the one where they come back in time to get a whale to take to the future, there is a pair of eyeglasses in it that were never made.

That's where its from...I had the reference on the tip of my brain, but couldn't quite get it.

A paradox that only exists if you limit yourself to a 3d existence.

That's where its from...I had the reference on the tip of my brain, but couldn't quite get it.

and if all you have is a 3d existance then what.

in the movie bones gives kirk a pair of glasses. he then goes back in time and sells them to a pawnshop. they travel forward in time until bones buys the glasses and gives them to kirk. who then takes them back in time and sells them to a pawnshop. you see there is no point in there that the glasses were made, the lenses were because bones had to add them to the glasses in the future but the frames were never built. they just exist, that is a paradox.

their talking about time right now on history time. time here is 12 38 am sorry their talking parallel universes

Edited by danielost

Yes, I have already seen those episodes of "The Universe", but I don't have anything else to do. So I'll flick it there.

Have they touched on the different types of multiverses, such as the level one and level two, and how they might relate to one another, yet?

Yes, I have already seen those episodes of "The Universe", but I don't have anything else to do. So I'll flick it there.

Have they touched on the different types of multiverses, such as the level one and level two, and how they might relate to one another, yet?

their on lvl 4

Say that you do travel back in time, how do you get back?

Say that you do travel back in time, how do you get back?

There would have to be a device that can produce a "time-loop" with another device that was placed in both the past and future. A "time-loop" machine, obviously, would require that the same device being existent in the past time that you want to go to. Without it, there couldn't be an established loop between a past date and future date.

Wouldn't placing the device in the past cause a paradox?

Wouldn't placing the device in the past cause a paradox?

No, because the device was placed before the time travel took place, not when they traveled back in time. The reason why it is thought that we could not travel to the past is that no "timeloop" device has been created, yet. So no loop can be created between two devices at two different times.

You become locked in it's like this if you go back in time and kill a link to your bloodline you removed yourself from the present to travel back in time just to pull this off and this has also altered your own existence so nothing happens. You will remain you. However if someone else goes back in time and kills a link to your bloodline you will have never existed. You are the hammer say a man made a hammer in the past and you took that hammer back in time and killed that man with the hammer he made back before he made it your still going to be holding the same hammer. It's not going to just vanish at that point. But if you left the hammer in the present and went back in time and killed the man who made the hammer time is forever altered and that hammer is gone.

No, because the device was placed before the time travel took place, not when they traveled back in time. The reason why it is thought that we could not travel to the past is that no "timeloop" device has been created, yet. So no loop can be created between two devices at two different times.

Gotcha. Thanks.

Think about it , if it was ever to be possible surely one day in the future we'd all know about it at some point?

If time travel is possible surely someone has travelled , so so far they not done anything to effect us?

If time travel hasnt yet been invented yet it doesnt matter because it has been invented in the future as its time travel its been invented now, confused? yup lol

As its time travel we dont need to wait for it to be invented as its allready invented , doesnt matter if its a million years in the future so they have it now lol

Hmm..

If you so happen to go back and kill your grandfather, I don't see how it would affect you. He would be killed in his time-line and not yours.

So once your return back to your time-line he would either a: Be dead if he died while in your time-line or B: Still alive in your present day, He was not killed in the same time-line as you.

And finally this leads me to believe you cannot alter the future nor past by traveling in time because once you leave your time-line it ends at that point, But let's say your were to kill your grandfather in which ever time-line you chose and planned on staying in that time-line, You would not vanish or die, But continue to live on in that time-line for the fact you are still active in another one.

Just my thoughts.

Edited by b0wn

There is a lot more than killing your grandfather to worry about, someone could steal from the past, put items in a place where they can get them the present. Leap to the future get lottery numbers, stock market results etc… and become gazillionares overnight. People could leap to the future and steal future technologies to use in the present escalating our advancement out of control.People could leap back and stop preventable deaths like car accidents etc... leap forward to get cures for ailments in the present making us almost invincible.

Time travelers could/would also have quite a bit of control over the global political map, past present and future.

I am not sure the human race will ever be able to handle the astronomical responsibility that comes with time travel.

Edited by Socio

I love these types of threads, they are always a good laugh.

Here's a paradox, what if you thought you made a time machine, but it was actually able to jump into the past of a different similar dimension. Then you can kill your grandfather and still exist. Okay so that's not a paradox.

TO THE SCIENTIST WHO LIKE TO WASTE TIME BY STUPID PROBLEMS

FIRST BUILD TIME TRAVEL MACHINE !!!!

LATER AFTER THAT..... LETS SEE WHAT HAPPENS

I HOPE AND BELIEVE THAT TIME TRAVELS ARE POSSIBLE BUT I DONT LIKE TO LISTEN ABOUT STUPID PROBLEMS AND DONT SEE THE RESULT....

You guys are making my head asplode.

I would like to explain why a paradox does not exist. It's really quite simple, and I'll put it in simple terms here:

You have to look at the past as something that was recorded on a film strip (really smart humans with fancy degrees may call them, "Strings"). Let's call our timeline this very long strip of film. Everything from when your grandfather was born, and even before that, is recorded on this strip of film right up to where you enter the time machine to travel back in time.

You travel back, meet your grandfather, and kill him. However, like I said, the events after that have already been recorded on this timeline. Therefore, even though you kill him at that point in time, he still exists instantly on the next frame of film. In order to completely erase your grandfather, and yourself, you would have to keep cutting the film up all the way to when you entered the time machine to first go back. Furthermore, you would not only have to kill him instantly, with no time whatsoever between each kill, but all his offspring also up to when you were born and later left in order to erase him. This is impossible. Therefore, the paradox is impossible.

Also, you can not travel to the future, because that film hasn't been recorded yet. You could only travel to your current time from the past. However, others could not follow you because that film strip has already been made for them. The film cannot be altered, it already is there.

Edited by Sentient

WHAT IF ??? Maybe a time machine has been made in the future, and they are all the UFO's that people are seeing and have seen. But all they can do is observe and not interact with us (the past). So, when someone builds a time machine we cannot go back and kill anyone.

I don't know if anyone understands what I'm trying to say here. Just some random goofy thoughts I had.

Odie :wacko:

I would like to explain why a paradox does not exist. It's really quite simple, and I'll put it in simple terms here:

You have to look at the past as something that was recorded on a film strip (really smart humans with fancy degrees may call them, "Strings"). Let's call our timeline this very long strip of film. Everything from when your grandfather was born, and even before that, is recorded on this strip of film right up to where you enter the time machine to travel back in time.

You travel back, meet your grandfather, and kill him. However, like I said, the events after that have already been recorded on this timeline. Therefore, even though you kill him at that point in time, he still exists instantly on the next frame of film. In order to completely erase your grandfather, and yourself, you would have to keep cutting the film up all the way to when you entered the time machine to first go back. Furthermore, you would not only have to kill him instantly, with no time whatsoever between each kill, but all his offspring also up to when you were born and later left in order to erase him. This is impossible. Therefore, the paradox is impossible.

Also, you can not travel to the future, because that film hasn't been recorded yet. You could only travel to your current time from the past. However, others could not follow you because that film strip has already been made for them. The film cannot be altered, it already is there.

Why is that the reason a paradox is impossible? What reasoning is behind the thinking that time runs in frames? Are these personal musings or is there some philosophy behind it? What happens if you go to the frame immediately before you stepped into the time machine and killed yourself the instant prior to time traveling? I mean that's pretty much the same thing as the grandfather paradox.

I think there are multiple reasons as to why time travel paradoxes would be impossible - namely the nature of them I guess, you know, the definition.

As I understand it traveling to the future is the only plausible way to do it -because- of paradoxes (and not being able to beat the speed of light). Is what you're saying that string theory says that time are strings, and creates a longer string as it moves along?

Why does everyone wanna kill grandpa!!??

*cries*

Why does everyone wanna kill grandpa!!??

*cries*

No joke poor old grandpa maybe just stop him from meeting grandma :)