Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Dream felt so real why?

GlamGirl

Has anybody else ever had a drowning dream where when they woke up their lungs hurt like it would after you got water in them? The other night I had a very vivid drowning dream and when I woke up my chest and lungs hurt. I just thought it was so weird.

When I was a child my sister and I got caught in a rip tide and we were drowning I was a strong swimmer and knew how to get out but my sister was not. She was scared to death holding onto me pushing me under preventing me from moving she was killing me thank goodness a surfer got her off of me he saved our lives. The way I felt in my dream was the same way I felt when we were drowning the water the pressure in my chest etc.

So I understand the meaning behind my dream but what would really make me feel like that after I have woken up from the dream?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kazahel

• Mr Walker

• Drayno

• GlamGirl

Often the biggest mystery of dreams is the connection between the physical and mental aspects of consciousness. Most specifically, pain in a dream.

It is evident that in the status of our dreams, our sub-conscious and conscious states present abstractions and relevant information that pertain to us directly as people; memories - though sometimes construed by the theme of said dream, aspirations, and just vague ideas in the form of miscellaneous objects or interactions.

The most logical explanation would be that your conscious state feels pain whilst both awake and asleep. The brain transmits messages of pain to alert you, and thus you physically feel pain. Now, the most curious notion is that when we feel pain it is to alert ourselves. So, you should ask yourself this: What am I to be alert of?

If it is a re-occurring dream I'll add more, but for now that part is not necessary. More than likely it was a spontaneous dream instigated by fatigue or your sub-conscious reliving that memory you had; though the portrayal of the setting in your dream is more relevant to you now - I assume.

I've had many a dream where I have been in altercations and have been injured or killed. I felt the pain and recall it vividly today. But, to conclude, the secret to pain in dreams is the relationship between our conscious states of being and our brain.

The most logical explanation would be that your conscious state feels pain whilst both awake and asleep. The brain transmits messages of pain to alert you, and thus you physically feel pain.

I've had many a dream where I have been in altercations and have been injured or killed. I felt the pain and recall it vividly today. But, to conclude, the secret to pain in dreams is the relationship between our conscious states of being and our brain.

I've experimented with pain in dreams a little to test how real they can be. Once I actually put a cigarette out on my arm(while lucid dreaming)to test to see if I would feel pain because everything else felt very real. I think I stopped the pain because I actually knew that I was dreaming and that there would be no pain. Where another time I also knew I was dreaming but actually fell onto a brick while I was hovering in the air, I hit my chest which woke me up and I felt pain in my chest for a little. So I think it just depends on how prepared you are for it in dreams or something.

Below is the dream I had with the cigarette which can also be found here.. Link The pain test is towards the end if anyone is interested and the start is another example of sleep paralysis I get sometimes.

I had a lucid dream last night and it was quite odd. It was a mixture of sleep paralysis and lucidity. I think I dreamt it because I didnt sleep the best which keeps me on the edge of waking/sleeping and because I had been thinking about lucid dreaming before I went to sleep. It was also almost a continuation from a sleep paralysis dream I had only on the 23rd of this month.

Anyway I dreamt last night that I found myself opening the laundry door to go outside and once I was almost outside I heard two voices talking to each other which sounded like people I didnt want to meet. I thought I was sleep walking or something at first at about 5ish in the morning and so I shut and locked the door and then sat down near the door so that I could hear what the people were saying. I noticed both doors in the room where shut so I was shut in and when I saw that I didnt understand why and so it triggered me into going lucid. I knew I was dreaming anotherwords because I was wondering why I was sitting in the laundry at 5 in the morning. So I stood up and held my arms out infront of me like an egyptian mummy does and I walked straight through the door like a ghost does as my reality tester.

Then I thought what do to for fun so I flew straight up about 30 meters and into a dark storm cloud which woke me up straight away.

Then I found myself back in my bed and I was paralyzed and I was listening to a person who was in my room who was whispering a different language at me which sounded rather spooky. I took it as a threat anotherwords and so I tried to get out of bed and it was like trying to stand up with only being able to move my arms. I ended up being half out of bed and on the floor and I was saying to the person in my room that they are a basically a wimp if they have to paralyzed me to attack me and things along those lines(this happened to me the other night as well and I managed to get out of bed and chased them through my laundry door).. Anyway this time I thought I would try something different and so I went to trick them and I pretended to just ignore them and to go back to sleep. So I shut my eyes in the dream(like a dream of paralysis)and I waited for about 10 seconds before I suddenly leap out of bed in one quick motion with the intent to fight. Which worked really well.

Anyway then I think I mustve woke up again because I then dreamt I was laying down on a couch smoking a cigarette(and I dont smoke cigarettes)and I had almost finished it and I was holding it up and looking at it with detail saying how realistic it all felt and I was actually enjoying smoking it. And I was pretty sure I was dreaming which is why I was looking at it with such detail and to prove that I was dreaming I put the cigarette out on my forearm and didnt feel any pain. Then I mustve woken up again and I dont remember much more.

It was a weird night for me and it was one of those nights where I was having false awakenings/paraysis but this time I actually tricked whatever it was that felt like it was holding me down. I basically played dumb and then struck and it left. It was very weird but worked a treat.

Anyway I think dreams just have a knack of tricking your brain into thinking things are real, including pain.

Because the brains reaction to physical stimuli is almost instantaneous, many physical sensations in dreams mirror real sensations, not the other way round.

For example in one classic experiment, scientists dripped water on the arms of dreamers Almost instantly the dreamers incorporated that physical sensation into their dreams.

So a pain in a dream can be caused by rela pain in your body Thus you may have been having physical symptomso for some time and then dreamed about them and then woken up while still experiencing the pain. I would have a physical check up just in case. There are many possible causes of the symptoms you mention, from stress to heart problems.

There is a growing scientific accpetance tha t dreams can be useful in identifying illnesses long before our minds become consciously aware of them.

Because the brains reaction to physical stimuli is almost instantaneous, many physical sensations in dreams mirror real sensations, not the other way round.

For example in one classic experiment, scientists dripped water on the arms of dreamers Almost instantly the dreamers incorporated that physical sensation into their dreams.

So a pain in a dream can be caused by rela pain in your body Thus you may have been having physical symptomso for some time and then dreamed about them and then woken up while still experiencing the pain. I would have a physical check up just in case. There are many possible causes of the symptoms you mention, from stress to heart problems.

There is a growing scientific accpetance tha t dreams can be useful in identifying illnesses long before our minds become consciously aware of them.

I know that if you hear things in the outside world you pretty much instantly bring that into your dream but I also do think that sometimes it can work both ways in regards to feeling pain. A mind over matter kinda thing. So the OP's drowning dream I think could make her body feel as if it had happened.

It's just in one of my pain dreams I wasnt having any health problems and I was hovering above a small brick wall and I fell onto it and woke up instantly and felt pain exactly where I had hit in my dream. I'll just quote it below and its found in this thread here.

I've had one of those dreams ages ago(about 15yrs ago now) but in my dream I was lucid and I tried to fly but I ended up just hovering about 2 meters off the ground(like being a sailboat with no wind). So I was floating facing downwards(laying down flat like superman but not moving at all)above a low brick edge and when I looked down and noticed the edge I worried about it and then I immediately fell onto it hitting my sternum first really hard. Which hurt lots and woke me up straight away. I could still feel the pain after I woke up but only for a short time. But it was the first and most painful dream(in that way) I've had that I can remember. I was surprised by it because it actually hurt.

Looking back now, it was like the wind was telling me how to fly and that I needed it.

So I personally do think that sometimes the pain can be felt just from the mind creating it because I'm sure I've experienced it and I wasnt having any health problems that caused it to be brought into my dream. So I felt pain because I fell onto something sharp, I didnt feel pain because I had pain in real life which then made me fall in the dream.

Edited by Kazahel

I agree with Mr Walker. One time I had a series of 3-4 dreams in which I broke a fingernail while holding my hands in front of me like a dog sitting up on its haunches holds its forepaws. Soon after the dreams, I broke a tooth. Thinking back, I realized that in the dreams, my hand was held in front of me with fingers pointing down when the fingernails broke. Clearly the fingernails were symbols of my teeth, and one of them was eroding without me being aware of it. Turned out I have a genetic thing from my mother's side in which some of the teeth slowly dissolve and then fall out or break off--with no pain as a warning.

Thus I believe that your dream is trying to tell you something going on in your body.

when I was way much younger I would often dream of falling from great height... I would scream in my dream then wake up before reaching the bottom of whatever place I was falling to.. I never saw the bottom actually I always woke before that..

usually what happens is, the body experiences a physical sensation during sleep, and this translates to the mind creating an image sequence associated with the actual physical sensation, only fictionalised.

Has anybody else ever had a drowning dream where when they woke up their lungs hurt like it would after you got water in them? The other night I had a very vivid drowning dream and when I woke up my chest and lungs hurt. I just thought it was so weird.

When I was a child my sister and I got caught in a rip tide and we were drowning I was a strong swimmer and knew how to get out but my sister was not. She was scared to death holding onto me pushing me under preventing me from moving she was killing me thank goodness a surfer got her off of me he saved our lives. The way I felt in my dream was the same way I felt when we were drowning the water the pressure in my chest etc.

So I understand the meaning behind my dream but what would really make me feel like that after I have woken up from the dream?

Basically, your lungs were hurting in real life, while you were dreaming. So, your dream incorporated that pain in some way. Youre thinking of it the other way around.

Thats why it happened. The other "connections" are just youre making.