Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Ground Zero Mosque

Karlis

Shold the mosque be approved? Or not approved?  

87 members have voted

1. 1. Should the building of a mosque be approved?

No, it is a matter of insensitivity and sensitivity.

yes you have a right to be sensitive

yes the owners have a right to build whatever they want on the property

• Replies 636
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ninjadude

• Mainpoint

• Leah G.

• Agent X

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

None of those places is the US or operate under US law. Obama does not make law. Sharia is not all that different, as I understand it, from orthodox Jewish law. And even Christian fundies want the ten commandments and exact Bible verses to be the law of the US.

So? No such oppressive "law", be it Christian, Jewish, Muslim or Hindu, should be recognized.

If no one can see that it's insensitive and enough time hasn't passed (come back in 50 years) must be blind, the twin towers were destroyed in the name of Allah and the whole of Islam rejoiced at the news, the last words spoken as those planes hit the towers would have been 'Allahu Akbar' to hear them chanted every day from the minaret of this mosque would be a disgrace, it's Muslims showing America the middle finger.

It was not Islam that attacked America it was a radical group of said religion. If condemnation of an act of violence can be placed on an entire belief then yes I agree we go to war and don't stop till it's over. However this is not the case nor was it ever the case.

For crying out loud it was your allies that did this to you, take it up with where they come from not what they believed as I'm sure the money to pull it off had to come from somewhere.

I suggest you read this.

I am not interested in the rantings of some blokes speaking to imaginary friends. I just want to see that it is ensured that everybody can speak to his imaginary friend in a way he/she sees fit without encumbering the right of others to do the same.

That is called freedom.

And don't come with 9/11 because before 9/11 there was 19/04 carried out by Christian extremists where I fail to see that anybody wants to curtail Christians because of that.

Edited by questionmark

To Ninja:

Yes, you got the safety part right. Only I'm thinking of more than one whacko doing it, which after their stink raising, could be expected. And I know that Islam itself is not to blame for this. Hell, the Islamists don't even see a difference between us and the moderates in their own religion. They did kill 300 of their own people in the attack, and not one of them was likely to be upset over the sin.

Edited by J.B.

I am not interested in the rantings of some blokes speaking to imaginary friends. I just want to see that it ensured that everybody can speak to his imaginary friend in a way he/she sees fit without encumbering the right of others to do the same.

That is called freedom.

And don't come with 9/11 because before 9/11 there was 19/04 carried out by Christian extremists where I fail to see that anybody wants to curtail Christians because of that.

What does your post have to do with recognition of religious law? :blink:

Americans shouldnt give up their rights to freedom and liberty

Have to make an apology. My last reply to PI was maybe out of hast and didn't read it as was intended. Sorry PI I know you know my views on "religion" and right now I'm defending religion, not my norm. Persecution comes from both sides and I dislike them both. However we have to get past the my god is better than your god mentality to do so.

What does your post have to do with recognition of religious law? :blink:

Again, are you willing to prohibit the council rulings of Mormons and Amish as well as the Rabbinical courts of the Jews?

No? Well, it is equal laws for all. Period.

Eh. . . no relgious law should trump secular law. Secular law is based, when it works anyway, on observations of the real world, not religious insights. Religious insights might help improve laws, but that's on a case by case basis, not a wholesale application of baseless claims from a person's mind.

To build a mosque or not is up to the people developing their property.

Its a question of liberty freedom and the american way.

Why do they want to build it here? they know it would cause controversy?

Again, are you willing to prohibit the council rulings of Mormons and Amish as well as the Rabbinical courts of the Jews?

No? Well, it is equal laws for all. Period.

I agree that there should be one law for all; no exceptions for religious groups. I don't see how this is relevant, though. Comparing private, non-binding rulings by Jewish religious courts to Sharia courts whose rulings are binding and equal to US law is ridiculous.

I agree that there should be one law for all; no exceptions for religious groups. I don't see how this is relevant, though. Comparing private, non-binding rulings by Jewish religious courts to Sharia courts whose rulings are binding and equal to US law is ridiculous.

What Sharia court ruling is binding in the USA, if I may be so bold as to inquire?

And don't come with some third world country now as an argument that they should not be, then Rabbinical courts should also be banned because their rules are binding in Israel.

Why do they want to build it here?

they didnt tell me

they know it would cause controversy?

perhaps again you should ask them if you are that curious could be thats the only property they had but now I think because of all the media attention I would advise them to stick by their decision according to me its a matter of personal freedom liberty and the american way, they should do it to support american values

Edited by Mainpoint

Have to make an apology. My last reply to PI was maybe out of hast and didn't read it as was intended. Sorry PI I know you know my views on "religion" and right now I'm defending religion, not my norm. Persecution comes from both sides and I dislike them both. However we have to get past the my god is better than your god mentality to do so.

That's a bit hard to do, since each religion that I'm aware of states that it's better than every other religion. People can believe their religion is superior to all others, but they understand that followers of other religions are their equals. Believing your religion is superior to your friend's doesn't mean you believe you're superior to your friend. :)

Eh. . . no relgious law should trump secular law. Secular law is based, when it works anyway, on observations of the real world, not religious insights. Religious insights might help improve laws, but that's on a case by case basis, not a wholesale application of baseless claims from a person's mind.

nm

Edited by The Silver Thong

What Sharia court ruling is binding in the USA, if I may be so bold as to inquire?

I thought it was clear we were speaking of hypothetical Sharia courts in America? Wasn't the whole argument about having a "dual" system with Sharia court rulings having the same legal authority as US law?

And don't come with some third world country now as an argument that they should not be, then Rabbinical courts should also be banned because their rules are binding in Israel.

I didn't say anything about Israel. And I'm not very knowledgeable about religious courts in Israel, so I'm not going to comment on it. :) Either way, it's irrelevant.

That's a bit hard to do, since each religion that I'm aware of states that it's better than every other religion. People can believe their religion is superior to all others, but they understand that followers of other religions are their equals. Believing your religion is superior to your friend's doesn't mean you believe you're superior to your friend. :)

That's where I think many miss the point of religion. One is right and one is wrong. Religion does indeed give one a superior complex as one thinks they have better answers than the next. In reality both are just as absurd.

I thought it was clear we were speaking of hypothetical Sharia courts in America? Wasn't the whole argument about having a "dual" system with Sharia court rulings having the same legal authority as US law?

Either way, it's irrelevant.

Not irrelevant, what is happening here is that a bunch of brain reduced individuals are forming an uneducated and uninformed phobia towards 2.x percent of the population. Hypothetical Sharia Courts, my foot. You might as well propagate hypothetical implementation of the Pentateuch laws by Christian fanatics. More likely as Christians are the majority in the US.

This is typical reactionary fear mongering. Nothing else.

Not irrelevant, what is happening here is that a bunch of brain reduced individuals are forming an uneducated and uninformed phobia towards 2.x percent of the population. Hypothetical Sharia Courts, my foot. You might as well propagate hypothetical implementation of the Pentateuch laws by Christian fanatics. More likely as Christians are the majority in the US.

This is typical reactionary fear mongering. Nothing else.

May I ask, what is the percentage of Muslims in Britain?

May I ask, what is the percentage of Muslims in Britain?

Why is that relevant?

But if you want to know, 3% in England and Wales, .84% in Scotland and less than .1% in Northern Ireland.

And no, except in the fantasies of the radical right there are no legally binding Sharia courts there either.

So? No such oppressive "law", be it Christian, Jewish, Muslim or Hindu, should be recognized.

they're not. And I would not expect to be. Regardless of your conservative friends.

nm

Apparently I hit an ignorance nerve or something? (Me being ignorant, not you.) It's the vibe I'm getting from the rest of the thread, at least.

Apparently I hit an ignorance nerve or something? (Me being ignorant, not you.) It's the vibe I'm getting from the rest of the thread, at least.

I quoted you by mistake and just thought it easier to delete then go back and hash it out with another. Sorry about that.

I do agree with the first part of your post though back there. The latter being religion no matter what has no place in a court.

Edited by The Silver Thong

I quoted you by mistake and just thought it easier to delete then go back and hash it out with another. Sorry about that.

I do agree with the first part of your post though back there. The latter being religion no matter what has no place in a court.

Religion should be a comfort, a guide in one's own living, perhaps, but not something used to force others to submit. Never that. I think that would be an affront to any decent God, at least I'd hope so.

There's nothing more wrong in building a mosque than any other religious building, but in this case. . . I think it'd be much safer for the people involved if they launched an education campaign to clear up the misconceptions about the terrorists before they started working to expand. Otherwise they will run into problems down the road, like this, and possibly worse.