Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Ground Zero Mosque

Karlis

Shold the mosque be approved? Or not approved?  

87 members have voted

1. 1. Should the building of a mosque be approved?

Religion should be a comfort, a guide in one's own living, perhaps, but not something used to force others to submit. Never that. I think that would be an affront to any decent God, at least I'd hope so.

There's nothing more wrong in building a mosque than any other religious building, but in this case. . . I think it'd be much safer for the people involved if they launched an education campaign to clear up the misconceptions about the terrorists before they started working to expand. Otherwise they will run into problems down the road, like this, and possibly worse.

are you interested in providing funding and logistic support for such a campaign? and why should they as they had nothing to do with what happened at 9/11?

• Replies 636
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ninjadude

• Mainpoint

• Leah G.

• Agent X

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I say don't build the mosque that close to Ground Zero, out of respect for those who lost family members and friends, and the survivors horrified by the attacks of 9/11. It would be nice though of an interfaith center dedicated to religious tolerance and peaceful diplomacy between different faiths and cultures. The mosque should find another site to build it like over a mile in Manhattan, not to demonstrate itself in a poor image. Muslims in general aren't all terrorists, it's an angry minority bought the Islamism, a political ideology based on a different interpretation of Islam.

are you interested in providing funding and logistic support for such a campaign? and why should they as they had nothing to do with what happened at 9/11?

I couldn't provide the funding on my own - though with more training I could probably find grants for it. This is the sort of stuff I'm in college to become - a technical writer, working for companies and non-profits. If someone else started the project, I probably would get involved in some way.

As for why should they: You people, the ones who say grow up, and don't even call this thing immoral, ignore practical matters. Like the fact there is a home-grown terrorist threat going the other way, trying to keep us in our own backwater ways. I don't say these things out of some dislike for the people involved, I say them for, as I said, safety concerns.

Edited by J.B.

As for why should they: You people, the ones who say grow up, and don't even call this thing immoral, ignore practical matters. Like the fact there is a home-grown terrorist threat going the other way, trying to keep us in our own backwater ways. I don't say these things out of some dislike for the people involved, I say them for, as I said, safety concerns.

you people who people? and what isnt called immoral? please clarify

I say don't build the mosque that close to Ground Zero, out of respect for those who lost family members and friends, and the survivors horrified by the attacks of 9/11. It would be nice though of an interfaith center dedicated to religious tolerance and peaceful diplomacy between different faiths and cultures. The mosque should find another site to build it like over a mile in Manhattan, not to demonstrate itself in a poor image. Muslims in general aren't all terrorists, it's an angry minority bought the Islamism, a political ideology based on a different interpretation of Islam.

I say build the mosque there and not to move it because of pressure from groups that want to take away american liberties to respect fellow americans that died and to support american values

you people who people? and what isnt called immoral? please clarify

There are some on here saying NYC citizens should just get over 9/11 already and grow up. >.< Though I might have made a mistake in using the words "You people" in that, sorry. The immoral thing is the expanding of the Mosque. Of course, when I voted here, the title was "Ground Zero Mosque" not "Mosque two blocks away." Point is, there are plenty of folks still p***ed about 9/11 and the terrorists, and they don't see a difference between the two. Comments on forums, and pundits talking, are the least of the issue.

There are some on here saying NYC citizens should just get over 9/11 already and grow up. >.< Though I might have made a mistake in using the words "You people" in that, sorry. The immoral thing is the expanding of the Mosque. Of course, when I voted here, the title was "Ground Zero Mosque" not "Mosque two blocks away." Point is, there are plenty of folks still p***ed about 9/11 and the terrorists, and they don't see a difference between the two. Comments on forums, and pundits talking, are the least of the issue.

I am p***ed about 9/11 too. Doesnt mean i am gonna vent my frustration at some innocent folks or take away someones right of freedom.

Same here, but we're far from the only people out there. The "Militia" movement - joke that it is - does get around a lot.

Just thought I'd add, theirs already a mosque 4 blocks away from the WTC. Why not let them build another mosk? Our country was founded on the basis of freedom, which also includes religious freedom.

Also keeping in mind, just to get it out of my system and out here, that the Right often seems to want what it wants, to Hell with "rights."

Just thought I'd add, theirs already a mosque 4 blocks away from the WTC. Why not let them build another mosk?

Because they still hurt. They still feel the pain of the attack. They are not yet willing to forgive, but they are willing to live and let live. They don't want to tear down existing mosques. They don't even want the cultural center gone, even with the included prayer room, to be dissolved. All they are asking for is detente. Leave things as they are till the scar heals.

Our country was founded on the basis of freedom, which also includes religious freedom.

But not the right to built anywhere you please. Any building, religious or otherwise, requires permits, and prior to issuing permits, the city has the responsibility to make sure that the new building is not going to have a negative impact on the area.

Again, no one is objecting to them building a mosque. The only objection is to the location.

Again, no one is objecting to them building a mosque. The only objection is to the location.

Exactly, very well said.

Observation: There are many countries where any religious buildings not of the nationally accepted religion are completely forbidden. I find it odd that in the USA, where all religions are accepted, that the 'intolerance' label keeps being tossed around.

Exactly, very well said.

Observation: There are many countries where any religious buildings not of the nationally accepted religion are completely forbidden. I find it odd that in the USA, where all religions are accepted, that the 'intolerance' label keeps being tossed around.

Then let me ask again: Why is there no outcry about all the churches near the Murrah building in Oklahoma City blown up by Christian fanatics?

I find it slightly disturbing that so many people have been fooled into thinking Islam is in any way responsible, or at fault, because extremists decided to abuse the Word to achieve their own political gains.

And I'm even more concerned with the people on this board who think Islam condones this.

At least someone has some sense.

Obama defends right to build mosque near 9/11 site (near, not on)

US President Barack Obama has staunchly defended controversial plans to build a mosque near Ground Zero in New York.

Opponents have protested against the construction of an Islamic cultural centre and mosque several hundred feet away from the site of the Twin Towers.

Mr Obama acknowledged "sensitivities" surround the 9/11 site, but said Muslims have the same right to practise their religion "as anyone else".

"Our commitment to religious freedom must be unshakeable," Mr Obama said.

He told the group of US Congressmen, government officials and foreign dignitaries that America's tradition of religious tolerance distinguishes it from "our enemies".

"Al-Qaeda's cause is not Islam," he said, "it is a gross distortion of Islam".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-10973459

Basically, why should these Muslims give a crap about fellow Americans who don't seem to have any idea who actually attacked them? or what they were attacked for? If they are 'sensitive' enough to be fooled into thinking that Islam attacked them, then why should other Americans care?

It's clear to anybody with even an elementary knowledge of the Quran and Sunna that Islam indeed condones -- even encourages -- such terrorist attacks. There seems to be a misunderstanding among some (most?) people that Muhammad was some sort of touchy-feely hippie.

It's clear to anybody with even an elementary knowledge of the Quran and Sunna that Islam indeed condones -- even encourages -- such terrorist attacks. There seems to be a misunderstanding among some (most?) people that Muhammad was some sort of touchy-feely hippie.

Could you please point me to the relevant Koran verses?

And no, Islamism is a religion that sometimes is quite violent. But so is Christianism. And just because the last time Christian fanatics "successfully" went about bringing the "blessing of the Lord" with a sword in '36 does not make it not happened.

All that is parroting of those who themselves have never bothered taking a Koran in their own hands and read it. As for me, it is a fairy book just like the Bible.

Edited by questionmark

Pseudo.

And the Bible condones slavery and stoning.

we're not talking about the books, but the religions.

Edited by expandmymind

Then let me ask again: Why is there no outcry about all the churches near the Murrah building in Oklahoma City blown up by Christian fanatics?

It wasn't. Tim McVeigh did not use his Christianity to justify his attacks. Move past it, please, it's pretty obvious.

It wasn't. Tim McVeigh did not use his Christianity to justify his attacks. Move past it, please, it's pretty obvious.

You mean he said nothing about the unjust treatment of the Branch Dravidian, the government getting of the right path from the Lord and similar blubbering?

Please read up on it before you spout incoherent stuff.

I find it slightly disturbing that so many people have been fooled into thinking Islam is in any way responsible, or at fault, because extremists decided to abuse the Word to achieve their own political gains.

And I'm even more concerned with the people on this board who think Islam condones this.

At least someone has some sense.

Obama defends right to build mosque near 9/11 site (near, not on)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-10973459

Basically, why should these Muslims give a crap about fellow Americans who don't seem to have any idea who actually attacked them? or what they were attacked for? If they are 'sensitive' enough to be fooled into thinking that Islam attacked them, then why should other Americans care?

They are ultimately all responsible for the attacks and this pretty much sums up being a Muslim in that respect;

"Before I was nine I had learned the basic canon of Arab life. It was me against my brother; me and my brother against our father; my family against my cousins and the clan; the clan against the tribe; and the tribe against the world. And all of us against the infidel. -- Leon Uris, "The Haj"

Ah yes, the "Christianity does it, too!" argument. Very original. :sleepy:

Questionmark, there are plenty of violent Quran verses and hadiths. It should be fairly easy to find them on the Internet. If you have any trouble finding them, let me know and I'll post a few for you.

You mean he said nothing about the unjust treatment of the Branch Dravidian, the government getting of the right path from the Lord and similar blubbering?

Please read up on it before you spout incoherent stuff.

Oh gosh, He wasn't a fan of the treatment of the Branch Davidians. It means he's a Christian terrorist! Uh, no. I don't exactly condone what happened there either. Does that make me a Christian terrorist?

I have read up on it. I'd suggest you do the same, before accusing me of incoherency.

Ah yes, the "Christianity does it, too!" argument. Very original. :sleepy:

Questionmark, there are plenty of violent Quran verses and hadiths. It should be fairly easy to find them on the Internet. If you have any trouble finding them, let me know and I'll post a few for you.

I have about a dozen Koran translations and two in original Arabic (old calligraphy and print)in my book shelve (right along with the Bible, the Talmud, the Vedas etc) I read them all and while there are verses in there that one could interpret as a justification to attack somebody (taken out of context) there are two things that are absolutely prohibited in them without leaving place for interpretation:

1.) Harm a Muslim

2.) Harm a Jew or Christian

Which is why: "The religion did it" is crap spouted by ignorant. The religion justifies unprovoked violence is crap preached by fanatics to ignorants.

I have about a dozen Koran translations and two in original Arabic (old calligraphy and print)in my book shelve (right along with the Bible, the Talmud, the Vedas etc) I read them all and while there are verses in there that one could interpret as a justification to attack somebody (taken out of context) there are two things that are absolutely prohibited in them without leaving place for interpretation:

1.) Harm a Muslim

2.) Harm a Jew or Christian

Which is why: "The religion did it" is crap spouted by ignorant. The religion justifies unprovoked violence is crap preached by fanatics to ignorants.

Strange that you read the Quran without coming across any 'bad' verses. What about the Hadith? Have you read any violent hadiths?

Strange that you read the Quran without coming across any 'bad' verses. What about the Hadith? Have you read any violent hadiths?

Plenty, but the Hadiths are not binding for all Muslims, there you would have to make distinctions between Sunni, Shia, Ismaelites and what have you. That would be saying that David Koresh's insane babblings are binding for all Christians.

And before you drive yourself crazy: The Al Qaida attacks on New York were not justified by anything in the Koran but with the presence of the Americans in Saudi Arabia, which makes it difficult for Al Qaida to take it.

They could not care a **** about the West, they want to dominate the Arab countries.