Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Ground Zero Mosque

Karlis

Shold the mosque be approved? Or not approved?  

87 members have voted

1. 1. Should the building of a mosque be approved?

Posted Yesterday, 08:28 PM

It is "financial jihad," explained Yusuf Qaradawi, the Muslim Brotherhood's sharia compass — and the man Feisal Rauf, the brains behind the proposed Ground Zero mosque, admires as "the most well-known legal authority in the whole Muslim world today." It was 2002 and Qaradawi, who endorses suicide bombing and the targeting of American personnel operating in Islamic countries, was giving a lecture on the need to use the international financial system to support Islamist goals — like Hamas's war to destroy Israel.

Another link died, this is getting spooky. Why do the links I find keep dieing?

In my case I asked for your links because I was engaged in an argument on a different forum and wanted to quote your sources. I don't think your links are getting lost. I think it's just a long thread and people have trouble finding them quickly. If you don't want to repost them, ignore our requests or maybe mention the number of the post that has them (e.g.- "see post #12 in this thread")

• Replies 636
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ninjadude

• Mainpoint

• Leah G.

• Agent X

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thread cleaned

I've removed several disparaging personal remarks from the discussion, stick to the topic please. If you feel the posts of another member are inappropriate please hit the 'report' button, don't reciprocate with more of the same.

Thank you.

I never said anything about legality. If they were legally authorized to build a mosque, they can do it. It doesn't mean I can't morally oppose it or that it's somehow "unAmerican" to oppose it.

From watching this on Sky News... it seems that a higher percentage of Americans are opposed to this Mosque....so if you are opposed to the idea yourself.. you are certainly not alone

As for me personally... I don’t know....I figured that maybe if Obama had of put out a voting poll..got Americans to vote and see what the citizens want

OR compromise with both American Muslims and the others and see if they could come up with something that won’t sound so controversial and might even keep a lot happier

I do not think it is fair for anyone to slag off others who are opposed to this...just like it would be unfair to yap at those who are in favour of it too.. I mean catch yourselves on... each person holds a right to his/her own opinion

Anyhoo I am undecided...due to being in two minds.. for in one hand I feel all religions hold a right..and in the other hand I feel they shouldn’t be allowed to build it so close to where so many poor Americans lost their lives ..sorry its a respectful thing!!

If anyone wishes to yap on at me over my opinions.. I personal don’t give a damn...each to their own

Thread cleaned

I've removed several disparaging personal remarks from the discussion, stick to the topic please. If you feel the posts of another member are inappropriate please hit the 'report' button, don't reciprocate with more of the same.

Thank you.

Saru- sorry. Many of us here in the states remember looking through the death lists for our friends names on 9/11 pretty vividly. This is not a dispassionate discussion.

In some ways it feels to me like if this developer can put his giant Muslim center at 9/11 and publicly call it "financial jihad" our country has turned into a soul-less market place. It reminds me of all the things the Soviets used to say about capitalism that I thought were so silly.

There needs to be a public meeting with representatives of the NY Muslim community (not affiliated with this developer)

From watching this on Sky News... it seems that a higher percentage of Americans are opposed to this Mosque....so if you are opposed to the idea yourself.. you are certainly not alone

As for me personally... I don't know....I figured that maybe if Obama had of put out a voting poll..got Americans to vote and see what the citizens want

OR compromise with both American Muslims and the others and see if they could come up with something that won't sound so controversial and might even keep a lot happier

I do not think it is fair for anyone to slag off others who are opposed to this...just like it would be unfair to yap at those who are in favour of it too.. I mean catch yourselves on... each person holds a right to his/her own opinion

Anyhoo I am undecided...due to being in two minds.. for in one hand I feel all religions hold a right..and in the other hand I feel they shouldn't be allowed to build it so close to where so many poor Americans lost their lives ..sorry its a respectful thing!!

If anyone wishes to yap on at me over my opinions.. I personal don't give a damn...each to their own

Well the point is you have a right to an opinion but the decision is up to individual what they wanna do even if perhaps majority of people are "opposed". Opinion of majority of people is meaningless here as it is about personal freedom and individual human rights. Either you build it there or not its up to people who own the property they have gone through proper legal proceedings from what i have heard already. Just because it happens to be a mosque not church it shouldnt make a difference United States is a secular and free country. Not only that america supports freedom and human rights through out the world.

You mean to say that the Guerrilleros de Christo Rey don't exist, that Timothy McVeigh had nothing to do with the religious right and that certain Christian sects don't want world domination?

Are we going to close all churches because of that and/or not authorize the building of new ones near the Murrah building in Oklahoma City?

Yeh... right!

No, McVeigh had nothing to do with the religious right and there are NO non-Muslim terrorist networks that have pulled off anything in the US. Not even if you consider drug gangs to be terrorists. The constant attempts by leftists to de-couple Islamic fanaticism from terrorism, and to make moral-- let alone QUANTITATIVE-- comparisons between 3 radical Christians in Noplace, Montanta and the global network of Jihadsist that has killed tens of thousand of people is as amazing as it is appalling. No wonder America's enemies aren't exactly cowed. Just tell me, before anything else: Are you serious or are you just playing devil's advocate? Do you really think that their religion has nothing to do with Jihadism (even the question is ridiculous, they call it JIHAD, FGS!)?. And do you really think that Christian fundies of any type, any where present a threat that is remotely comparable to Islamism? If so, OK, but you're really sitting next to the guys in Montana yourself if your perceptions are that scrambled.

Edited by venqax

As for me personally... I don’t know....I figured that maybe if Obama had of put out a voting poll..got Americans to vote and see what the citizens want

OR compromise with both American Muslims and the others and see if they could come up with something that won’t sound so controversial and might even keep a lot happier

Anyhoo I am undecided...due to being in two minds.. for in one hand I feel all religions hold a right..and in the other hand I feel they shouldn’t be allowed to build it so close to where so many poor Americans lost their lives ..sorry its a respectful thing!!

If anyone wishes to yap on at me over my opinions.. I personal don’t give a damn...each to their own

But that is THE ERROR in this whole debate, this is not about what whoever wants but about the right of every person/group in a secular state that separates between church and state (or at least claims to do so... the only consequent ones I know are the French in that aspect).

And rules are either for all or we are on the way to some kind of dictatorship. No matter who likes it and who don't.

Now, if that Muslim group would be better people than those trying to negate their right they would take the sensitivities of others into consideration. But there is no law that forces them to.

No, McVeigh had nothing to do with the religious right and there are NO non-Muslim terrorist networks that have pulled off anything in the US. Not even if you consider drug gangs to be terrorists. The constant attempts by leftists to de-couple Islamic fanaticism from terrorism, and to make moral-- let alone QUANTITATIVE-- comparisons between 3 radical Christians in Noplace, Montanta and the global network of Jihadsist that has killed tens of thousand of people is as amazing as it is appalling. No wonder America's enemies aren't exactly cowed. Just tell me, before anything else: Are you serious or are you just playing devil's advocate? Do you really think that their religion has nothing to do with Jihadism (even the question is ridiculous, they call it JIHAD, FGS!)?. And do you really think that Christian fundies of any type, any where present a threat that is remotely comparable to Islamism? If so, OK, but you're really sitting next to the guys in Montana yourself if your perceptions are that scrambled.

Why are you more focused on the religion of the 9/11 terrorists instead of where the attack originated from. America should be right p***ed that they still consider Saudi Arabia allies. That is where the war should have been and yet Americans are placid when it comes to SA why?

Other posters have said this is about money and apparently it is because the money in SA has silenced you.

Well the point is you have a right to an opinion but the decision is up to individual what they wanna do even if perhaps majority of people are "opposed". Opinion of majority of people is meaningless

Not if each person was given the rights to vote on the issue at hand...and the president left the decision up to his American citizens...then the majority would win..........like I said previously - IF

As for me I am undecided...and already gave my reason why previously posted... and I don't care if anyone holds a problem with my opinions lol seriously!!!!

EDIT.. I wonder if christians would be granted a large christian church / or Cathedral in a muslim country.. if previously thousands of muslims were killed in a christian terrorist attack....I mean yea you could say - well it was not their faith that did it..just like so many are saying in this present case...but does that still make citizens feel comfortable with the idea regardless??

Edited by Beckys_Mom

Not if each person was given the rights to vote on the issue at hand...and the president left the decision up to his American citizens...then the majority would win..........like I said previously - IF

Not if that vote is unconstitutional. Look at prop 8.

Well the point is you have a right to an opinion but the decision is up to individual what they wanna do even if perhaps majority of people are "opposed". Opinion of majority of people is meaningless here as it is about personal freedom and individual human rights. Either you build it there or not its up to people who own the property they have gone through proper legal proceedings from what i have heard already. Just because it happens to be a mosque not church it shouldnt make a difference United States is a secular and free country. Not only that america supports freedom and human rights through out the world.

Typical confusion of individual rights and civility, as if the 2 are somehow incompatible or entirely opposed. Should be an ACLU lawyer. BTW, it's probably not up to the people who owned the property. If they had refused because the party was Muslim, they probably would be in legal trouble. Not that individual property rights matter (does that concern you at all?) The exact same principles would establish a "right" to put an adult bookstore beside an elementary school. Of course that has happened.

As for me I am undecided...and already gave my reason why previously posted... and I don't care if anyone holds a problem with my opinions lol seriously!!!!

EDIT.. I wonder if christians would be granted a large christian church / or Cathedral in a muslim country.. if previously thousands of muslims were killed in a christian terrorist attack....I mean yea you could say - well it was not their faith that did it..just like so many are saying in this present case...but does that still make citizens feel comfortable with the idea regardless??

Again Becky USA is not a "christian" country. Its a country that espouses freedom of religion.

Now think like this

You buy a plot of land............Should we ask your neighbors to cast a ballot to see how you can build your house?

Edited by Mainpoint

In my case I asked for your links because I was engaged in an argument on a different forum and wanted to quote your sources. I don't think your links are getting lost. I think it's just a long thread and people have trouble finding them quickly. If you don't want to repost them, ignore our requests or maybe mention the number of the post that has them (e.g.- "see post #12 in this thread")

Oh, no it's not that, everytime I find a link that has anything bad to say about Feisal Rauf, the brains behind the proposed Ground Zero mosque, the brains behind the proposed Ground Zero mosque they are going dead. I just looked for some other ones and what I found was dead links, it's wierd like someone is taking them all off the internet. Doesn't that strike you as odd? It sure scares me to think that someone could be pulling information they don't want you to know off. I've had that happen probably 7 times in the past 24hours. I hesitate to put anything from Fox on here but so far they are the only source with enough guts to stay on line with the story. I just looked at the Fox sight and only Beck's opinion peices are up and we all know how everyone feels about him.

But that is THE ERROR in this whole debate, this is not about what whoever wants but about the right of every person/group in a secular state that separates between church and state (or at least claims to do so... the only consequent ones I know are the French in that aspect).

If you read my post again.. you would see that was not what I was talking about.. I mentioned - Compermise and added I was undescided...It means I can understand BOTH sides of the arguement

Typical confusion of individual rights and civility, as if the 2 are somehow incompatible or entirely opposed. Should be an ACLU lawyer. BTW, it's probably not up to the people who owned the property. If they had refused because the party was Muslim, they probably would be in legal trouble. Not that individual property rights matter (does that concern you at all?) The exact same principles would establish a "right" to put an adult bookstore beside an elementary school. Of course that has happened.

From what i have heard the builders have gone through all regulations and legal requirements pertaining to the matter.

Again Becky USA is not a "christian" country. Its a country that esposuses freedom of religion.

I did not at any point in any of my posts ever suggest the US was a christian country...

You buy a plot of land............Should we ask your neighbors to cast a ballot to see how you can build your house?

Not the same thing... allthough if you go to build an exention the neighbors can protest and set up a petition to stop it from going ahead...I know this.. it happened to my brother ...but again it is not the same thing

Not if that vote is unconstitutional. Look at prop 8.

Good job I said IF eh? lol

I did not at any point in any of my posts ever suggest the US was a christian country...

You had mentioned earlier in a post as an addendum about cathedral in muslim country. That point is moot as USA is not a country that has an official state religion.

And rules are either for all or we are on the way to some kind of dictatorship. No matter who likes it and who don't.

Now, if that Muslim group would be better people than those trying to negate their right they would take the sensitivities of others into consideration. But there is no law that forces them to.

In that case we should allow Satanists to build temples to Satan.

Good job I said IF eh? lol

Hey, so did I :P

In that case we should allow Satanists to build temples to Satan.

They can, but they don't have the money.

Not the same thing... allthough if you go to build an exention the neighbors can protest and set up a petition to stop it from going ahead...I know this.. it happened to my brother ...but again it is not the same thing

ahhhhhhhhhhhhh

so it seems you would like laws to be applicable to you in a way different than they should be applicable to people that are different from you

Maybe the site should have something like "war memorial status". Foreign investors should not be able to benefit off of a terrorist attack against our country.

If we don't have something like this what's to stop foreign investors from giving aid to terrorists in return for having them wipe out prime pieces of real estate those investors might want?

Edited by Siara