Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Jerome of Baie Sainte-Marie

stereologist

This is an interesting story I ran across recently. This is what I was told. I have included a link.

It seems that a mysterious ship appeared off the coast. People could not identify the ship that landed in the harbor. The next day a person down on the beach found a man who's legs had been surgically amputated at the knees. The man would not speak. He was cared for and eventually placed in a family house. He never spoke except for a few times when he was tricked into speaking. Apparently, this sent him into fits of anger. He died without ever revealing who he was. Due to the amputations he never worked. He spent summers reading books in many different languages. It is said that he always held the books upside down while reading. He did have 2 women visitors. The family where he was staying suggested he did speak to them. Although they could not hear the words they did hear a man's voice in the closed room.

Maritime Legends

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• stereologist

• Eldorado

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Another thing I recall about the story was that he was once thought to have been from a logging camp in New Brunswick and had been taken across the Bay of Fundy. It was thought that he had possibly lost his legs due to freezing them the previous winter.

The tale of the 2 women visitors later in his life caused much gossiping, but no one knew who his visitors were.