Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Radioactive Boar on the Rise in Germany

questionmark

As Germany's wild boar population has skyrocketed in recent years, so too has the number of animals contaminated by radioactivity left over from the Chernobyl nuclear meltdown.Government payments compensating hunters for lost income due to radioactive boar have quadrupled since 2007.

It's no secret that Germany has a wild boar problem.

arrow3.gifRead more...

Yeh, we always knew we would have a radiating future with atomic power

Edited by questionmark

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• questionmark

• Mac E

• Eldorado

• ExpandMyMind

It must be easier to hunt them if they glow in the dark :P I kid, because there really isn't anything people can do except ensure a tragedy like Chernobyl doesn't happen again.

It must be easier to hunt them if they glow in the dark :P I kid, because there really isn't anything people can do except ensure a tragedy like Chernobyl doesn't happen again.

too late http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/episode/gulf-oil-spill-5488/Overview

although, i admit, i know it's not a nuclear problem :innocent:

i wonder what happens to the people who eat the three-eyed boars?

too late http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/episode/gulf-oil-spill-5488/Overview

although, i admit, i know it's not a nuclear problem :innocent:

i wonder what happens to the people who eat the three-eyed boars?

I'm sure it is something similar to mercury poisoning, where it builds up in the body over time. If it is in large enough quantites it will kill you.

I'm sure it is something similar to mercury poisoning, where it builds up in the body over time. If it is in large enough quantites it will kill you.

Not quite, radioactivity leads to a cell wall destruction, very much like a sun burn. Additionally there is extensive genetic damage leading to cancer. And the latter even in very small quantities.

Not quite, radioactivity leads to a cell wall destruction, very much like a sun burn. Additionally there is extensive genetic damage leading to cancer. And the latter even in very small quantities.

So a slow build up to cancer. Where is Madam Curie when you need her?

Where do you think this comes from?

microwave-bacon-2-300x200.jpg

:lol:

So a slow build up to cancer. Where is Madam Curie when you need her?

BTW, she died of cancer too, most probably due to the exposure to radioactive materials.

Talking of Chernobyl...

"The largest wildlife census of its kind conducted in Chernobyl has revealed that mammals are declining in the exclusion zone surrounding the nuclear power plant.

The study aimed to establish the most reliable way to measure the impact on wildlife of contamination in the zone.

It was based on almost four years of counting and studying animals there."

"During their census work, he and Dr Moller have also examined the effects of radiation contamination on the animals. They say that these impacts are particularly obvious in birds.

In their studies on barn swallows, the team observed birds with tumours on their feet, necks and around their eyes.

"We think they may be more susceptible, after their long migrations, to additional environmental stress," explained Professor Mousseau."

Ful story here....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-10819027

Where do you think this comes from?

microwave-bacon-2-300x200.jpg

It all makes sense now!