Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Star Trek

MoonBaby

Does anybody here think that the human race here on earth will ever reach the point where we are traveling the galaxies and achieve the level peace that has been reaced in the Star Trek series? And I'm talking peace between individuals and acceptance of other ways of life, not peace throughout the Universe. Although, it seems there is more peace throughout the Universe in Star Trek than there is on our own insignificant planet at this time.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Stellar

• Novo

• Talon

• Asterix

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anybody here think that the human race here on earth will ever reach the point where we are traveling the galaxies and achieve the level peace that has been reaced in the Star Trek series? And I'm talking peace between individuals and acceptance of other ways of life, not peace throughout the Universe. Although, it seems there is more peace throughout the Universe in Star Trek than there is on our own insignificant planet at this time.

no, we will destroy ourselves first.

I don't believe:

a ) Humans can co-exist peacefully.

b ) That level of technology will ever be reached.

c ) Humans will exist in another 3 thousand years.

Edited by BurnSide

I dont think we'll kill ourselves off. I think that peace on Earth will happen when something desasterous happens, such as a nuclear war, or, better yet, contact with another agressive alien race. But other than that... I see the future more likely to be like the future in the Alien series...

I dont think we'll kill ourselves off. I think that peace on Earth will happen when something desasterous happens, such as a nuclear war, or, better yet, contact with another agressive alien race. But other than that... I see the future more likely to be like the future in the Alien series...

you do realize the odds of us encountering an alien species are about 100 million times the odds of finding a certain fish in the ocean (say every fish in the ocean was a clown fish except for one)

I'm pretty sure there are already some places in the USA that are so polluted, living there is like smoking two packs of cigarettes a day. This world is slowly getting more and more polluted, we're soon going to run out of oil, therefore plastic, I say space flight is our only hope, but there are like no inhabitable planets (unless mars works out which would be cool). Sorry I just realised I used like no full stops:S!

Unfortunately it takes much bloodshed and wars for our human to realize that we are one family. Cultural evloution is much slower than a technical one. I think it'll take another at least 500 years before racism and unhealthy inter-nation rivalry can be eliminated and only then a united effort to explore space will be possible. But maybe it will take an alien invasion or universal disaster to unite us into one body?

Unfortunately it takes much bloodshed and wars for our human to realize that we are one family

I think that peace on Earth will happen when something desasterous happens,

Unfortunately, humans lack the memory for something like that. They said, after WWI, that nothing as horrible could ever happen again. After WWII, they said that this is it, nothing as horrible could ever happen again. 50 yrs later, we still try to find ways to live in peace and free of terror. We still try to live without the fear of...the sky falling on our heads. (said me, Asterix the Gaul) wink2.gif

i think it would take some kind of miracle for this planet to achieve total peace, war is a serious money making business and it wouldnt just happen overnight where man stops imposing his will on other man, as for star trekking across the universe, maybe our childrens children might get some inkling about when that will occur, it would be nice to see world peace in our time and man reaching beyond the stars but its strictly television at the moment and i guess we just have to accept that for now, its a nice thought and maybe.................. some day.........just not yet

I guess a note of hope would be to think that no more than 70 years ago, the head of the English Astronomy society stated that a trip to moon was "total and utter stupidity, something that will never happen". 20 years later, it did...

Technology such as the Star Treks may be possible, but I think we're more likely to be the Dominion than the Federation.

However, the chances of finding intellegent life is slim, slimmer still is the chance that it will be humanoid or similar enough to us to comunicate.

Smaller still is it that the lifeform will want to be our friends and that we'll have sexual relations with them. And that there will be many different types of them defined soley by the ridges on their noses.

I would hope that we would be able to make it to the point that we were able to have star trekkish technology.

I for one just want the phaser...wouldn't it be great to be able to stun people that p***ed you off???

Bad service in a restaurant?

***Zap***

***Flop to floor***

IRS Audit?

***Zap***

***Flop to floor***

Rude bank teller?

***Zap***

***Flop to floor***

Looking at my own post I think I may have answered the question... yeah, we're screwed. whistling2.gif

No, I do not think we may ever reach the full use of Star Trek technology and exploration. Yes, as the others we will end up destroying ourselves first. Why? Mankind persists in ever greater moral entropy. Without a real revival to moral clarity, the nothing will continue to add darkness to the world.

Judging by the Star Trek calendar, we have passed the date in which humanity was to create huge advances in space exploration and biological engineering, like Khan.

you do realize the odds of us encountering an alien species are about 100 million times the odds of finding a certain fish in the ocean (say every fish in the ocean was a clown fish except for one)

*sigh*

You know that how? We dont necessarily need to encounter an alien species, they can encounter us. Also, right now, if we find out that theres life on mars or anywhere in space, its just a matter of time before we find intelligent life. As our technology increases, those odds diminish, and since we'll be *exploring*, our odds of finding them will be even better.

Whats your chance of spotting a puzzlepiece that fits with your, ordinary looking puzzle piece in a 1000 piece puzzle? not that good. But what if you dump the pieces out of the box, and examin each piece one by one. Eventually you'll find the right one.

We dont necessarily need to encounter an alien species, they can encounter us.

Whats your chance of spotting a puzzlepiece that fits with your, ordinary looking puzzle piece in a 1000 piece puzzle? not that good. But what if you dump the pieces out of the box, and examin each piece one by one. Eventually you'll find the right one.

Guess though how difficult (or at least time-consuming) it would be if the puzzle box was...let's say...300 miles away, and you had to walk there, pick up one puzzle, bring it back, examine it, then return it back to get the next one? Because that's the case with space. Even if we knew were to look, even if us and an alien race would be aware of each other's position or coordinates, communications would be extremely difficult. If an alien civ. was..let's say...30 light years away (which believe me, is a very optimistic estimation) it would take 30+30=60 years for them to say "hello, how are you?" and us reply "fine, thanks and you?"

Providing that they would speak English or we would speak...alpha-24z-b-ish wink2.gif

Actually, you take the puzzle piece with you. Its the other puzzle pieces that are lightyears away. And while at first it could be hard... you learn to go faster and faster and eventually it'll only be like a step away.

We can't stay on this rock forever. I think our evolution well lead to the stars. Someday we will have to leave the Earth, for what ever reason. Will it be like Star Trek, I think it will be more like Battle Star Galatica: a number of ships leaving a doomed Earth to make a life for themselves space. alien.gif

*sigh*

You know that how? We dont necessarily need to encounter an alien species, they can encounter us. Also, right now, if we find out that theres life on mars or anywhere in space, its just a matter of time before we find intelligent life. As our technology increases, those odds diminish, and since we'll be *exploring*, our odds of finding them will be even better.

the odds are far more than 1/1000 buddy, theres no aliens in our OWN galaxy and if you consider each galaxy has million of solar systems and planets and thats there billions and billions of galaxys then perhaps you will see where im coming from? the odds of 2 fish finding each other in the ocean even if they knew the other was out there are far more the just unlikely.

Again, u know this how? How do you know that theres no aliens in our own galaxy, buddy?

Just a shadow of a point of view... but...

Star Trek was one man's dream, a dream of a unified earth and the search for others, like us.

Gene Roddenberry wasn't thinking of all that when he made up Star Trek. he was just trying to make up a "Wagon Train to the Stars." A "Gunsmoke" on a starship.

Gene's aliens were just characatures of our own society.

theres no aliens in our OWN galaxy

prove it.

I don't think there is likely to be much life out there, but claiming Earth is the only planet with life in this Galaxy is seriously nuts considering how many planets are out there. Plus, modern science doesn't even know if there is life in the next soler system over, how can you argue with any confidence that the life will only be found in the next galaxy over.

Edited by Talon S.

theres no aliens in our OWN galaxy

prove it.

I don't think there is likely to be much life out there, but claiming Earth is the only planet with life in this Galaxy is seriously nuts considering how many planets are out there. Plus, modern science doesn't even know if there is life in the next soler system over, how can you argue with any confidence that the life will only be found in the next galaxy over.

Thats exactly why no one can mention the odds of us making contact with a civilisation. We dont know how dense extrasolar life is. for all we know, we may have already made contact, but they missed it, or they didnt know what to do with it, or they didnt want to reply, or they are replying but its taking time, whatever.

for all we know, we may have already made contact, but they missed it, or they didnt know what to do with it, or they didnt want to reply, or they are replying but its taking time, whatever.

Or maybe they just saw how nuts we are and decided that it is best to not get involve with our specie tongue.gif