Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

"The Thing" Prequel..

TheVeryFirstDinosaur

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TheVeryFirstDinosaur

• itsnotoutthere

• grither

• Mallet

The original The Thing and John Carpenter's version are two of my favorite movies. The new one will have a lot to live up to.

Same here. John Carpenter's is one of my top favorites of all time. Just the ideas that you can assume from the movie.

A planet of creatures, with system branches that allow every single individual cell to be a desperate mobile organism.

1 infected cell + 1 host = Millions and millions of infected hosts.

Millions of hosts = infinite numbers of "Things".

Infinite "Things" = ..Complete universal takeover.

It don't look optimistic, the Dutch director Matthijs van Heijningen Jr has only two previous credits to his name in the last 15 years and one was a short.

I doubt this film will recapture the atmosphere, tension, and claustrophobia of Carpenter's original particularly since the lead is a gorgeous woman (BAD NEWS) instead a bunch of gruffy middle aged and old men.

Not to sound sexist, but one thing that made the John Carpenter film work was there were no women. Having all men and they had no female contact, made it feel all the more isolated. Having those men have a female to look to for possible comfort or sex, would have ruined some of the setting. Plus with no women and only men, it meant there would be no useless sex scenes. In the book and in deleted scenes, RJ MacReady Kurt Russel's character had a blow up doll. I'm sure the prequel will be ****ty. It's to be expected.

• 3 weeks later...

The worst thing that could happen with this movie is if they target a teen audience & make it something like a cross between

Alien & Elm street.

• 3 weeks later...

I bet their going to replace all of the bad*** special effects with wicked lame and uninspired CGI <_<

Didn't everyone die in the Norwegian camp (except for the two that died who were chasing the dog/Thing)? What, are they going to have someone who escaped the Norwegian camp (wooo...maybe that person is one of the Things)?

More than likely it will be aimed at a younger audience with CGI, so forget about a good R rated movie.

Meh. They always have to mess with the classics. disgust.gif

• 4 weeks later...

Some things are better left alone. Otherwise someone will take a good idea and turn it into trash.

cormac

Aaaaarggggghhhhhh! Why do people do these things, these stupid, stupid things? I have never seen the original, but I love John Carpenter's remake, it's one of cinema's true classics.

The diredtor has said that he'll try to stick close to Carpenter's original. He has been seen on set watching replay after replay of the original so that he'll have all the details. For instance, this film will tell the story of the norwegian base that was visited in the original and from what i hear, every little detail that is seen in Carpenter's film (like an axe seen in a wall, the man found frozen bleeding) will all be explained.

Also, from what i hear, they'll be trying to use the least amount of CGI as possible. It will also be rated R.

One thing that will be cool is that we'll actually see the inside of the ship seen in the first movie.

Edited by Bracket