Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Who was the first Son of God?

SlimJim22

Jesus is the most well know Son of God and how many went before him?

Does the symbolism attributed to the archetype of the Son of God tell us anything?

Are the Daughters of God? If not why not?

My first suggestion is Ninurta, the son of Enlil. I could have said Enlil himself but could not find anything on Enlil as a Son of God (An). I have tried to keep away from Sitchin and I hope some more accurate translations can be found.

A hymn to Ninurta (Ninurta C): translation

1-41 1 line fragmentary

....... ......, lordly son of Enlil, ....... ......, hero who appears in glory, who ....... ...... in Enlil's house ....... ...... no one ....... ...... of E-kur, the rebel lands ....... ......, lord ....... ......, captain, ....... ...... king of Urim, ....... ......, king of Adab ....... ......, king of ....... ...... E-kur .......

1 line fragmentary

...... of Ninlil ....... ...... to the ...... of Enlil ....... ...... heaven and earth, the mother who bore ....... ...... Enlil ....... ...... of the hero .......

1 line fragmentary

...... Zababa ....... ...... hero .......

20 lines missing

42-48...... favourable before Ninurta, the great governor of Enlil, and Ninnibru, the beloved child of An.

4 lines missing

May ...... the beloved spouse, Ninnibru, the great queen, be favourable towards you.

49-57Ninurta, lord of the gods, glory of E-cumeca, speaks most generously in praise: "My father Enlil!" Ninurta ...... himself like a lion: "I am the hero belonging to Enlil, I am he who controls the affairs of Nibru. ......, and do not let the birds escape. I am a man after the heart of my father Enlil, and I am the hero beloved by my mother Ninlil. I was born in the mountains; I am strong in the mountains."

58-63Ninurta, before whose roaring the mountains tremble, hurricane, south storm that flashes with lightning, you belong to Enlil! May it therefore ......, may Ninurta's city, the shrine Nibru -- therefore ....... He is indeed its beloved, is indeed its beloved; the lord is indeed the beloved of E-kur.

64-75You desire everything in your heart, you wish for everything valuable in your heart. Hero, Enlil's right arm, youth without rival! Ninurta, Enlil's right arm, youth without rival, grandly heaping up ...... with the fifty-headed ......, letting no enemies escape from the mountains! Wild raging lion, overpowering the enemy, Ninurta, wild raging lion, overpowering the enemy -- who like a foul moving storm ...... the rebel lands and territories! Hero, first choice of his father, lord Ninurta, first choice of his father! He is the hero, he is the hero, the hero who does not let the mountains escape! He (?) is the hero! He is Ninurta who does not let the mountains escape!

76-86He is great in his anger (?)! He (?) alone is a hero! No superior god raises himself against him! King who is great in heaven, great on earth, lordly in the east! Ninurta who is great in heaven, great on earth, lordly in the east! Mighty hero Ninurta! Praise be to father Enlil! Praise be to the ...... of intelligence, the lord who decides destinies, to father Enki! ...... Anuna gods ......, favourable before Ninurta, the great governor of Enlil, and Ninnibru, the beloved child of An.

http://www-etcsl.orient.ox.ac.uk/section4/tr42703.htm

I don't know the exact time frame but I would guess between 5-6,000 before present. Ninurta is described as the right arm of Enlil and like a raging lion. He has fifty heads... and is described as a sort of storm god. It sounds like he is a patron of war and the highlands. Considering the area the cult was found in these mountains are most likely the Zagros but there are various other ranges it could mean.

No mention of rebirth or ressurection, love or even fertility. It sounds more like an oppressive and fearful god than a loving one. I can only assume that they got their love or whatever it is they desired from their worship, from the various other gods. This is typical pantheism or paganism but the first to reach such a level of sophistication.

As far as I can see there is no real link betweem Ninurta and Jesus so let's explore how the concept of the Son of God evolved from what was believed in Sumer and elsewhere. This is not a zeitgeist style thread but a look at belief systems and how spirituality behaves like a tide. History will be given for context but the emphasis is on the beliefs and the cultic practices and anything else that could be deemed relevant.

The first Son of God was Adam.

the first son of god on earth was adam. the first son of god was lucifer. not sure who the last son of god on earth will be or when.

the first son of god on earth was adam. the first son of god was lucifer. not sure who the last son of god on earth will be or when.

Genesis does not say "God created lucifer"! We are talking humans.

Thanks Dan and Mara, I guess I dismissed them for being unverifiable but strictly speaking you are both correct.

Maybe Adam was the first son of God and Lucifer was Ninurta. That then poses the question who was God. The oldest names we find are Anu, Enlil and Enki. Some say that Enki is the serpent so one could say that Kain was the first son of the Serpent. Is this the same as God?

Can you be a son of God if you are not born by a womb? There is never any reference to Adam being born, he was created yes and he is the first man but without being born he may not qualify for a son.

We should look at Lucifer as being the son of Venus though and if this is the sumerian mother goddess. In many ways Ninurta or Marduk could qualify as being Lucifer. That is proud and refusing to submit to man. Marduks symbol was the serpent like his father and Ninurta was the eagle.

These premiscuous old gods make geneologies most difficult but if gods copulate with gods we get gods but if a male god lies with a human women then we get a son of God. If this is true then going by the esoteric interprtation of the bible, Kain is the first son of God. That may be a bitter pill to swallow considering what we know of but there is always the chance that stories become inverted to veil their true meaning.

I am reading the book, "The history of God," by Karen Armstrong. She claims that a God arose one day out of nowhere by the name of Yaweh that was documented by both the babilonians and the early egyptians. Yaweh claimed to be stronger than the other God's and Goddess' and proved his way into many of the pagan believers lives. Yaweh also went by the name Elohim and El. I believe there was another name that started with a T but I'll need to search the book to remind myself. She interprets that the God in the bible was actually stories and tales about the pagan God Yaweh. She points out where certain stories resemble old world documentation and yet other stories counterdict them. She also mentions that Yaweh gave birth to Wisdom in whom he gave the name Sophia.

Supposedly Yaweh received the name as the son of God because he claimed to be the only real God due to his strength overbearing all others.

I have to go back and touch up on what I am telling you because I have a poor memory. I especially need to touch up on where he first shown himself. It may have been in Isreal, then spread accordingly. I've found the book to be very interesting but I don't believe what I read and therefore I have much more research to do.

For instance, what you claim just got added to my list however by glancing through wikipedia on Enlil, I would venture to say that based just solely on Armstrong's claim, Yaweh proved to be stronger than that of Enlil because Enlil was included in the pagan God list. Supposedly Yaweh proved he was not the God of earth, air, sea, fire, ect but could become that of each element. He was beyond that of what the other God's offered..... I remember specifically reading where yaweh proved this particle.

Here is where I question Karen Armstrong though. She has yet to specify exactly where she gets her information from. Although she has been recognized by many, she fails to give solid proof as to where she draws her information. I'd like to know what ancient scripts she pulls her tales from. She often compares her tales to certain stories in the bible. Her tales supposedly originated way before the onset of the holy bible. She also refers to a specific trail of individuals by first label only. (specifics being, "J.", "P", ect) I assume they are narrators of the bible but she does not specify that either.

You know what, Jim? Now that I read what I posted to you, the name Enlil is ringing a strange bell in my head... It's possible that was one of Yaweh's name. I'm going back to my book.

Give me some time.

Thanks Dan and Mara, I guess I dismissed them for being unverifiable but strictly speaking you are both correct.

Maybe Adam was the first son of God and Lucifer was Ninurta. That then poses the question who was God. The oldest names we find are Anu, Enlil and Enki. Some say that Enki is the serpent so one could say that Kain was the first son of the Serpent. Is this the same as God?

Can you be a son of God if you are not born by a womb? There is never any reference to Adam being born, he was created yes and he is the first man but without being born he may not qualify for a son.

We should look at Lucifer as being the son of Venus though and if this is the sumerian mother goddess. In many ways Ninurta or Marduk could qualify as being Lucifer. That is proud and refusing to submit to man. Marduks symbol was the serpent like his father and Ninurta was the eagle.

These premiscuous old gods make geneologies most difficult but if gods copulate with gods we get gods but if a male god lies with a human women then we get a son of God. If this is true then going by the esoteric interprtation of the bible, Kain is the first son of God. That may be a bitter pill to swallow considering what we know of but there is always the chance that stories become inverted to veil their true meaning.

these are names that man gave to different elements of nature. god is more than nature.

Genesis does not say "God created lucifer"! We are talking humans.

If God created all things, then how did e not create Lucifer. Then the question becomes, "What did god create first?"

Did god create the angels first? Did he create man first? Did he create animals first? Animals have sons and daughters. Maybe gods first son was a fish.

In all honesty, I believe that the only being he didn't create from something else was Jesus.

It's all a matter of perspective, but I'll stick with Jesus as my answer.

If God created all things, then how did e not create Lucifer. Then the question becomes, "What did god create first?"

Did god create the angels first? Did he create man first? Did he create animals first? Animals have sons and daughters. Maybe gods first son was a fish.

In all honesty, I believe that the only being he didn't create from something else was Jesus.

It's all a matter of perspective, but I'll stick with Jesus as my answer.

jesus is the angel gabrel. adam is the angel micheal. lucifer is the angel of light. there were three tests giving to gods children, those who failed the first one became the animals and plants. those who failed the second became the demons. we are in the third test.

jesus is the angel gabrel. adam is the angel micheal. lucifer is the angel of light. there were three tests giving to gods children, those who failed the first one became the animals and plants. those who failed the second became the demons. we are in the third test.

So, according to your logic. You are saying that everyone and everything started out as angels. That there are only three angels, and two have already fallen and humanity is the third angel.

However you fail to answer the question, "Who was God's first son?"

So, according to your logic. You are saying that everyone and everything started out as angels. That there are only three angels, and two have already fallen and humanity is the third angel.

However you fail to answer the question, "Who was God's first son?"

i answered that with my first post. and no there were not three angels. there were as many angels as there have been, plus all of those still to be born, that have ever been born on earth.

Edited by danielost

Without a Mrs. God, none of them are sons, just clones.

The light bringer called Lucifer is the first son of god then came the arch angle Michel, and so on from their. The reason Lucifer rebelled is because he didn't want to bow before humans and declare his love for us because he loved god more than life it self. This is reason Lucifer is a fallen angel, or demon in another words.

Lucifer is the first son of god not Jesus, nor is it humans. God, I need to stop watching the history channel ahaha.

Edited by Ryinrea

I am reading the book, "The history of God," by Karen Armstrong. She claims that a God arose one day out of nowhere by the name of Yaweh that was documented by both the babilonians and the early egyptians. Yaweh claimed to be stronger than the other God's and Goddess' and proved his way into many of the pagan believers lives. Yaweh also went by the name Elohim and El. I believe there was another name that started with a T but I'll need to search the book to remind myself. She interprets that the God in the bible was actually stories and tales about the pagan God Yaweh. She points out where certain stories resemble old world documentation and yet other stories counterdict them. She also mentions that Yaweh gave birth to Wisdom in whom he gave the name Sophia.

Supposedly Yaweh received the name as the son of God because he claimed to be the only real God due to his strength overbearing all others.

I have to go back and touch up on what I am telling you because I have a poor memory. I especially need to touch up on where he first shown himself. It may have been in Isreal, then spread accordingly. I've found the book to be very interesting but I don't believe what I read and therefore I have much more research to do.

For instance, what you claim just got added to my list however by glancing through wikipedia on Enlil, I would venture to say that based just solely on Armstrong's claim, Yaweh proved to be stronger than that of Enlil because Enlil was included in the pagan God list. Supposedly Yaweh proved he was not the God of earth, air, sea, fire, ect but could become that of each element. He was beyond that of what the other God's offered..... I remember specifically reading where yaweh proved this particle.

Here is where I question Karen Armstrong though. She has yet to specify exactly where she gets her information from. Although she has been recognized by many, she fails to give solid proof as to where she draws her information. I'd like to know what ancient scripts she pulls her tales from. She often compares her tales to certain stories in the bible. Her tales supposedly originated way before the onset of the holy bible. She also refers to a specific trail of individuals by first label only. (specifics being, "J.", "P", ect) I assume they are narrators of the bible but she does not specify that either.

Some really good responses so far and a few particularly interesting points by Born. I look forward to hearing more from that book, sounds good. I think what you said made perfect sense though. Enlil as the storm god and the various offspring of fire, water, moon, sun, etc but it was Yahweh who took all of these things into one and overtook all the others. Well it would be a lot more practical for worshippers. As the religious texts start with Yahweh we'd have to say that he was El of the most high. Who was his son?

Full marks to whoever said that Jesus because he was with God at creation. It is a hard point to argue against but for the sake of argument let's see who else could be a son of El.

What period do we think El rose to prominence? personally from my research into ancient history, I think that El or Yahweh is something that came out of India, if not then Iran but there is quite a bit to connect the cultures just nothing conclusive.

Anyway my next suggestion for the first son of God is Krishna. I am not sure of his parentage but I think he may have been an incarnation of Vishnu. What does the name Krishna mean because it sounds so similar to christ? Krishna died but I don't know if he was reborn or any other parallels. I remember that Krishna was said to have been murdered around 3,100bce. This may be too far back to account for a movement into Mesopatamia at the time of Abraham but there could be many other explanations for this date for Krishna's death.

I'm sure there are more parallels in the stories of Jesus and Krishna so this could be where some of the rites connected to the son of God began, though I would stop short of making too close a comparison. I just think that it may be the start of a cult about the anointing of a priest-king who was known as the son of God. There are others, as know doubt will come up

I'd just like to make a distinction netween a literal son of God and Son of God as a title. It may be an important distinction if we want to look at the cult of the Son of God of which Jesus was perhaps the most recent installment.

Some really good responses so far and a few particularly interesting points by Born. I look forward to hearing more from that book, sounds good. I think what you said made perfect sense though. Enlil as the storm god and the various offspring of fire, water, moon, sun, etc but it was Yahweh who took all of these things into one and overtook all the others. Well it would be a lot more practical for worshippers. As the religious texts start with Yahweh we'd have to say that he was El of the most high. Who was his son?

Full marks to whoever said that Jesus because he was with God at creation. It is a hard point to argue against but for the sake of argument let's see who else could be a son of El.

What period do we think El rose to prominence? personally from my research into ancient history, I think that El or Yahweh is something that came out of India, if not then Iran but there is quite a bit to connect the cultures just nothing conclusive.

....SNIPPED...........

Okay, here I sit with the book opened up in front of me. First I'll mention that it states originally we as humans worshipped 1 main God whom we called the Sky God. This God eventually faded out but can still be found in some African tribes. From there more personable and pagan Gods arose. (The original theory of the SkyGod was popularized by Father Wilhelm Schmidt in "The origin of the Idea of God," first published in 1912.)

Now, if we move pass the so called Sky God, we start to get mention of pagan Gods. There is mention of Marduk as being a babylonian God who has a legend attached to him as to how he created humans and the like. From there, of course there is generous tales of different God's and Goddess' that emerge. One of those was reffered to as El. The first mention of El, later referred to as Yaweh was documented to be in Cannan. (an ancient term for a region encompassing modern-day Israel, Lebanon, the Palestinian territories and adjoining coastal lands, including parts of Jordan, Syria and northeastern Egypt) These people referred to El as the all high God.

The pagan Gods knows as Baal (the storm God) and Yam (God of the seas) (Christians now refer to the names as demons...??) supposedly lived with El. There is a fight between Baal and Yam and some other disorganization before eventually Baal perishes and descends to the world of Mot (The god of death and sterility)

The author then mentions that El became concerned when he heard of his Son's death. From there Baals lover (Anat) searches endlessly for him. (This tale can be found in stories using other names for his lover like Inana, Ishtar and Isis.)

(I point that last point out to show that names seem to change depending on your location, the names for the God's/ Goddess

may differ yet the legends are the quite similar.)

p.s Baal does retern to Anat. (I wonder if it would be worth following the legends of Baal to see what his stories are since we are trying to find the first original documented son...)

Here is where the author, Karen Armstrong links together the name El with Yaweh. This can supposedly be found in the bible. Moses' original God was the all high God of Caanan which was Yaweh. Abraham's God was the God by the name of El. Supposedly the bible tells us that a tribe claiming to be descendants of Abraham arrived in Canaan from Egypt around 1200bce. They claimed that they had been enslaved by the egyptians but had been liberated by a deity called Yaweh, who claimed to be the God of their leader, Moses. (These people later called themselves israelites and therefore I would state that the name Yaweh originated in Isreal..)

Ms. Armstrong goes on to point out a person she only refers to as "P" makes God explain that he is indeed the same God as Moses and Abraham. God tells Moses that he is the same God as Abraham and that Abraham used to call him "El Shaddai" and did not know the divine name of Yaweh.

From there arises the stories of Yaweh/ El's rise to the top amoungst the other pagan Gods.

Bang on, you have summed up the dilemma perfectly. The only think I would disagree with is that the time of Abraham could be closer to 2,000bce and we'll see why that becomes important shortly.

First, though back to Sumer. I agree about the original sky father and this is most likely Anu. Rain and weather would have been important than anything. I equate him to P'tah of Egypt who had two sons and one daughter. Shu, Geb and Nut. Shu is the sky, Geb the earth and Nut the firmament (stars). Well the work out very well with the Sumerian Enlil, Enki and Ninmah.

However, they were dominant during the bronze age. By 2,200bce the culture was in permant decline. It had been overtaken by the Akkadian empire which drew largely from the Sumer but the goddess Inanna seems the patron of this nation. There is a parallel in the story of Inanna and Dummuzzi and Isis and Osiris and it may be that these were early Sons of God.

The distinction that is worth making is the transition between bronze and iron age and taurus to ares. The bull well describes the bronze age with the emphasis on agriculture and a balance of male and female characteristics. Bulls are strong but cows produce milk and fertile dung. What does the change to ram tells us? I think it is more related to nomadic shepperds perhaps because of a change in climate that ended empires in the previous epoch. The other thing is sacrifice and arguably a connection to the origins of the occult.

Interesting then that this was one of the times associated with Abraham and the importance of the ram in that story on an overt and subtle level. Something I have often pondered is whether the change of age meant a restructuring of the cults. assuming the ancients followed the cycles of the heavens they would have been aware so maybe thought it was time to phase out the original pantheon.

I think that Marduk became Baal, although there were two Baals. He was raised to the high position but I think he may have abused this position and so war ensued between what cults there were. Out of all the disgruntled cults I imagine that one stood above the others and had enough support to oppose the forces of Baal.

I am unsure as to the exact identity if Yahweh but I have two suggestions. I am discounting Enki purely because I am suggsting that generation of gods was phased out. First is Nanna who was the moon god of Haran, where Abraham went to. he also went under the alter ego Anzu and there is a story about Anzu seizing control from the other gods.

Next suggestion is Set, this may surprise people who usually go for Osiris. Osiris has many of the characteristics of a Son of God such as dying and being reborn. There is the Djed pillar connection which connects with the axis mundi of shamanism. maybe we'll discuss that another time because I am going on a bit. Anyway, osiris was a pastoral God of fertility and was overcome by Set. The Osiris cult survived in Egypt because of the reliance on the fertile soil of the Nile but I don't think it competed with the cult of Set as it moved into Mesopatamia and the East. I even think that Set could have evolved into Shiva and the returned as Yahweh after he dispatched Osiris aka Nimrod. Sorry for excessive content.

This is very interesting. I only have one question. Taking all your info from many scources can you really ever get a definitive answer ? I say no. I too read lots of different ideas and theories because I too search for answers. I guess it comes down to Faith. Biblically speaking GOD only had 1 son,Jesus, born of woman. The Angels are not eathly beings and not of Flesh. Thats my opinion of course, but I do like these discussions.

This is very interesting. I only have one question. Taking all your info from many scources can you really ever get a definitive answer ? I say no. I too read lots of different ideas and theories because I too search for answers. I guess it comes down to Faith. Biblically speaking GOD only had 1 son,Jesus, born of woman. The Angels are not eathly beings and not of Flesh. Thats my opinion of course, but I do like these discussions.

Then who were those "Sons of God" who fertilised the human women to produce the race of Nephelims? If we go by NT then each Nephelim was supposed to be a Jesus' twin...

Good points. There is of course an issue in using various sources but the way I see it is that each source or religion is giving a slightly different perspective on the same ancient cult or mystery.

The Nephilim were indeed known as the sons of God at Mt Hermon as opposed to the sons of Seth who were the sons of man. I think anyway.

It may come down to a passing over of authority from the angels to human kings. We get the impression that jesus was descended from a priestly and a kingly line so he was the perfect Messiah but were these originally one. I am really not sure but it seems like in the time of babylon there was a lot of worship for Nabu who was known as the scribe god. This seems to imply the growing importance of writing even compared to warrior gods.

I mentioned about the procession of ages and as Jesus was seen as the Messiah of the age of Pisces is this to say that there would have been a Son of God for the previous epochs aswell. If so who were they I wonder and were the messianic figures restricted to the start of a new age.

It is the sort of area that defies conclusions because there is so much contradictory evidence. We cannot be sure but by applying logic we should be able to make a good case. Here are some other potential Sons of God. It would be good to compare and contrast them with Jesus and his deeply symbolic story. Just for the sake of argument not all gods should be considered unless there is a story about their birth.

Some possibilities include, Krishna, Osirs, Set, Tammuz, Ninus, Belus, Mithras, Zarathustra, Herackles, Enoch, Shulgi and Melchezedek. These are all god men that have appeared in myth and religion and I see as having some relationship to the character of a Son of God.

If there is a genuine continuation of Jesus as the last of a line of a mysterious cult then does this diminish or increase the importance of Jesus as a genuine or mythological figure. Hypothetically if there were such a cult then it would be truly ancient and have vast knowledge of the heavenly bodies. Personally I find it adds to the wonder but I'd like to hear other opinions on this suggestion.

I think we're all entitled to the label of son or daughter of God. The prayer goes "Our father who art in heaven". But Jesus was God's son, son...um you know. :lol: Himself made man.

Jesus is the most well know Son of God and how many went before him?

I guess it would depend on whether Earth contains God's first creations or whether he has done it before on countless other planets.

I think we're all entitled to the label of son or daughter of God. The prayer goes "Our father who art in heaven". But Jesus was God's son, son...um you know. :lol: Himself made man.

Good point this is actually my own personal view of what Jesus meant. Still for the sake of discussion and research I feel it is worth seeing what else can be found.

Hey DA, that is interesting. Were you thinking of anything frm the Urantia book because that sort of perspective would be worth a look. I unsure over the earth seeding idea because we have been here so long as archeology tells us. Consciousness is something different and whoever gave man consciousness may have done so else where. Channelings on this issue are welcome but there must be more to consider.

We've already discussed if El or Yahweh was the head of the gods and at what time he may have taken this role. I think the henotheisitic idea is a pretty reasonable but for others he may be an unseen force or the sole creator. We still get the two possibilities, either he is the child of God or a god or he is ideologically the son, as in expressing a close bond, with the divine, which to many ancient peoples was natural forces and all that they could not comprehend.

You can take Jesus as the Son of God and there were no others before him but that would not do justice to history. To put Jesus in a grander and more ancient line of super secret society, I think bumps up the importance and makes it more attracive to other faiths. It does mean shedding some of the attachments we have put on ourselves around religion but it does open up some doors? However, this is balanced by seeing Jesus as part of a bloodline as is currently the fad to believe in but actually has a place in historic tradiiton. It was called the tree of Jesse and went back to David but beyond David it could have gone all the way to any number of the sons of gods we have mentioned. Still doesn't help to identify precisely who is El and who is his first son but I'm realizing it does not matter because ot is all beyond proof and really comes down to faith and belief just like everything else in religion. That is unless logic, mystery and intuition can be seen as complementary to what is believed. Secrets are not written on lines in plain view but are found between the lines of history. Who knows what it real and what is not?

Okay, here I sit with the book opened up in front of me. First I'll mention that it states originally we as humans worshipped 1 main God whom we called the Sky God. This God eventually faded out but can still be found in some African tribes. From there more personable and pagan Gods arose. (The original theory of the SkyGod was popularized by Father Wilhelm Schmidt in "The origin of the Idea of God," first published in 1912.)

Now, if we move pass the so called Sky God, we start to get mention of pagan Gods. There is mention of Marduk as being a babylonian God who has a legend attached to him as to how he created humans and the like. From there, of course there is generous tales of different God's and Goddess' that emerge. One of those was reffered to as El. The first mention of El, later referred to as Yaweh was documented to be in Cannan. (an ancient term for a region encompassing modern-day Israel, Lebanon, the Palestinian territories and adjoining coastal lands, including parts of Jordan, Syria and northeastern Egypt) These people referred to El as the all high God.

The pagan Gods knows as Baal (the storm God) and Yam (God of the seas) (Christians now refer to the names as demons...??) supposedly lived with El. There is a fight between Baal and Yam and some other disorganization before eventually Baal perishes and descends to the world of Mot (The god of death and sterility)

The author then mentions that El became concerned when he heard of his Son's death. From there Baals lover (Anat) searches endlessly for him. (This tale can be found in stories using other names for his lover like Inana, Ishtar and Isis.)

(I point that last point out to show that names seem to change depending on your location, the names for the God's/ Goddess

may differ yet the legends are the quite similar.)

p.s Baal does retern to Anat. (I wonder if it would be worth following the legends of Baal to see what his stories are since we are trying to find the first original documented son...)

Here is where the author, Karen Armstrong links together the name El with Yaweh. This can supposedly be found in the bible. Moses' original God was the all high God of Caanan which was Yaweh. Abraham's God was the God by the name of El. Supposedly the bible tells us that a tribe claiming to be descendants of Abraham arrived in Canaan from Egypt around 1200bce. They claimed that they had been enslaved by the egyptians but had been liberated by a deity called Yaweh, who claimed to be the God of their leader, Moses. (These people later called themselves israelites and therefore I would state that the name Yaweh originated in Isreal..)

Ms. Armstrong goes on to point out a person she only refers to as "P" makes God explain that he is indeed the same God as Moses and Abraham. God tells Moses that he is the same God as Abraham and that Abraham used to call him "El Shaddai" and did not know the divine name of Yaweh.

From there arises the stories of Yaweh/ El's rise to the top amoungst the other pagan Gods.

There certainly are similarities, between all these ancient beliefs. Whether they be Hindu, Sumerian / Akkadian, Canaanite (Ugarit), Greek, Roman or Jewish, especially in terms of concepts.

If one actually delves into the pantheons themselves one comes to an intereting conclusion, we are speaking of a restricted number of beings that have never changed even though their names may differ over the aeons.

You have mentioned the History, of God. God has been recognized under various names. El or Yaweh are simply the most common, but we can also add Anu / Enlil to the list both being embodied aspects of only one single God Marduk and Enlil are the same God Enlil later became known as Marduk in the later times of the Akkadian Empire.

Notice also how both An (Anu) and El (Sumerian/Akkadian and Ugaritic (Canaanite) all seem to be distant Gods who in effect don't seem to interest themselves in the affairs of mankind. The we have Enlil / Marduk who rules mankind directly (just as Yaweh seems to do) and sends a flood to destroy humanity and are portrayed as Storm Gods or weather Gods.

In truth all these are refering only to one single Deity, and what we have is cross-cultural and cross-generational layering of myths over time.

This did not happen just with Yaweh, but with Satan who was once known as Kronos, Saturn, and Ea or Enki.

The bible speaks of a divine council of 70 (72) Gods, all of whom were created by God himself, before the creation of the very stars. These are the original sons of God as mentioned for example in Genesis 6 and in Job. They are not angels, they are an order of magnitude above the angels and every nation has stories of them. The pantheons are full of their comings and going, even if most of it is myth and imagination, they speak of a common theme that ran throughout the ancient world even as far as South America.

I guess it would depend on whether Earth contains God's first creations or whether he has done it before on countless other planets.

Earth itself has had more than one creation, so to speak. there have been at least 2, maybe 3. The Genesis account, is not an original creation story, it is better defined as a reconstruction. Verse 1 of Genesis 1 is the only verse that speaks of the original creation.

Edited by Jor-el