Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Real-life Quasimodo uncovered in Tate archive

Still Waters

With his hunched back and deformed face, Quasimodo, the tragic hero of Victor Hugo's novel The Hunch Back of Notre Dame, has always been considered a mythical creation drawn from the depths of the author's imagination.

But a new discovery appears to reveal the real-life inspiration behind the character from Hugo's seminal novel, which tells the story of the deaf bell-ringer of Notre Dame and his unrequited love for the gipsy girl Esmeralda.

Clues suggesting that Quasimodo is based on a historical figure have been uncovered in the memoirs of Henry Sibson, a 19th-century British sculptor who was employed at the cathedral at around the time the book was written and who describes a hunched back stonemason also working there.

The documents were acquired by the Tate Archive in 1999 after they were discovered in the attic of a house in Penzance, Cornwall, as the owner prepared to move out.

However, the references to a "hunchback sculptor" working at Notre Dame have only just been discovered, as the memoirs are catalogued ahead of the archive's 40th anniversary this year.

The seven-volume memoirs document Sibson's time in Paris during the 1820s, when he was employed by contractors to work on repairs to Notre Dame Cathedral.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Still Waters

• Eldorado

• Pezmo

• LadyBlue

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm........his face rings a bell.

Good one! :lol:

It is really amazing to find out that Hugo made his story (The Hunchback of Notre Dame)out of an inspiration from a real person. It is one of the best in literature. :D

It is really amazing to find out that Hugo made his story (The Hunchback of Notre Dame)out of an inspiration from a real person. It is one of the best in literature. :D

I remember watching an old black and white film on TV of The Hunch Back of Notre Dame. I wasn't very old at the time and it was the first time I'd seen him. Well he frightened the life out of me, so much so I was scared to go to bed afterwards. It's just as well I didn't know at the time that he was based on a real person!

Thank God he wasn't around in the dark ages, He probably would of been killed by the peasant folk.