Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Artificial meat? Food for thought by 2050

Still Waters

Leading scientists say meat grown in vats may be necessary to feed 9 billion people expected to be alive by middle of century.

Artificial meat grown in vats may be needed if the 9 billion people expected to be alive in 2050 are to be adequately fed without destroying the earth, some of the world's leading scientists report today.

But a major academic assessment of future global food supplies, led by John Beddington, the UK government chief scientist, suggests that even with new technologies such as genetic modification and nanotechnology, hundreds of millions of people may still go hungry owing to a combination of climate change, water shortages and increasing food consumption.

In a set of 21 papers published by the Royal Society, the scientists from many disciplines and countries say that little more land is available for food production, but add that the challenge of increasing global food supplies by as much as 70% in the next 40 years is not insurmountable.

Although more than one in seven people do not have enough protein and energy in their diet today, many of the papers are optimistic.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• cluey

• danielost

• Paracelse

• maca02

I thought there is already artificial meat in Quorn and stuff. Compacted mycelium high in protein and low in fat grown on waste material?

I thought we had this already. SPAM. Yuck! :P

Well, as a vegetarian I'm already used to those disgusting cookie cutter tofu burgers.

I've seen in vitro meat before. It's like a bloody red egg yolk. Imagine it'd only be palatable if you grind it like hamburger.

Edited by Mele Kalikimaka

Anyone for soylent green :devil::devil::devil:

As long as it looks and tastes like steak, I couldn't care less. I loves me steak and beer!

Anyone for soylent green :devil::devil::devil:

I was just thinking that.

As long as it looks and tastes like steak, I couldn't care less. I loves me steak and beer!

Thats how i feel as well. If the choice was between artificial meat or not meat, then artificial meat it is. Though it still does seem a little more appealing to go kill my own cow lol (please dont be offended and/or send peta after me :D i was only joking... well sort of joking at least, mmm tasty cow :D )

Thats how i feel as well. If the choice was between artificial meat or not meat, then artificial meat it is. Though it still does seem a little more appealing to go kill my own cow lol (please dont be offended and/or send peta after me :D i was only joking... well sort of joking at least, mmm tasty cow :D )

I'm a member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals) and I'm not offended :lol:

not to be foolish... but instead of making some yacky artificial meat to feed several billion more people, maybe we should breed a little less so it isn't so much of a problem...

not to be foolish... but instead of making some yacky artificial meat to feed several billion more people, maybe we should breed a little less so it isn't so much of a problem...

People just keep havin sex. What are we going to do? The world is going to become overpopulated.

I take it you dont plan on having any little ones then, seen as you think there are enough of us already?!

I think thats kind of after the fact, those people are already here and they need feeding...Massive populations are inevitable because we expand like a big triangle downward, the vast majority of us have a sibling, and will go on to have children and in many instances more than one, it just happens unfortunately...

Anyone else think the photo this post is displaying on the main page looks DELICIOUS?

Will you love beef when you find out that our country was allowed to eat BSE-tainted beef? Yes, some people ate it. Hundreds of thousands of pounds of it.

They don't test beef enough to please me.

The USDA is letting us down.

Industry should never be allowed to govern itself!!!

There is only one supplier of beef for me these days, and it is my cousin who raises beefalo. He tests for all sorts of stuff and utilizes feed that is proven to be free of meat by products.

From being the daughter of a cattleman to hardly eating beef at all.

From loving a good steak, med rare, to looking at a steak as a deadly toxin.

I love european beer. And my local microbrewery.

I love tofu. And I would eat the synthetic beef.

Edited by regeneratia

People just keep havin sex. What are we going to do? The world is going to become overpopulated.

brings us neatly back to soylent green :innocent::innocent:

Last time I heard about artifical meat, it was still in testing stages, and had the consistency of runny flan with a taste that left you feeling better off without meat.

fake meat is better than the real ones, the real ones contain vaccines injected into them and they give smelly poop.

I think we've been eating mystery meat for years. Especially in frozen food or cafeterias. I guess if you don't know what it is you'll eat anything. Even if you do think you know.

Hmm if there is such a shortage of food, then why are we doing anything about it, like not waste sooo much food?

can you imagine how much food is thrown away daily from restaurants and grocery stores?

I thought we already had veal substitute.

I just have to say we have pretty much been eating it for years. What ever that stuff is McDonalds and even Taco Bell calls meat is far from it. I think if you looked you would find more meat in a can of spam. And one thing that has never bothered me is what scientist say. They can peak into speculation about like the weather man. It might look like this from 40 years away but once we reach this point we will have a far better solution to reach for then this. It just leaves them with what they can see from today. 40 years is 40 years and technology jumps so fast we will be looking back at these predictions at how stupid our scientist were to even speculate on the problem at this point in time.

Going back to cannibalism ??? In the trenches during WW1, men were eating rats and drinking their own ... for survival. The strong will eliminate the weak.

ahhh yuck!!!......after watching the news the other night and seeing the process most of the meat that ends up on the shelves of our super markets goes through before we even see it...........i will only ever buy fresh meat from a butcher from now on.All the preservatives and crap they add(just for starters)......then the fact it's frozen for anywhere upwards of 3 months before it ends up in the shop:cry:not to mention the concoction of *things* they mix together......I will never be a vegetarian......but fresh meat,fish and poultry is all im sticking too