Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Doctor freezes man's skull, saves his life

Still Waters

A UTAH man had a 90 to 95 percent chance of dying after shattering his skull in more than 10 places until a neurosurgeon removed both sides of his head and froze it.

Kyle Johnson’s brain swelled uncontrollably after he fell off a longboard - essentially a surfboard on wheels - while travelling about 60km/h.

Dr Blake Welling of McKay-Dee Hospital in Utah decided to perform the risky surgery.

“We elected to take Kyle to surgery and remove each side of his head,” Dr Welling told FOXNews.com.

“It’s called a bilateral decompressive craniectomy. It’s something that neurosurgeons do as a last ditch effort.

“Most neurosurgeons do a decompressive craniectomy on one side of the head, where the trauma was.

“In this case, Kyle had such a global brain injury that we needed to take both sides of his head off, and you just leave a small strip of bone right down the middle.”

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• :PsYKoTiC:BeHAvIoR:

• Still Waters

• Eldorado

• Brakzar Break

Top Posters In This Topic

Surgeons, doctors, nurses etc are great most of the time; other times they are awesome.

I hope that surgeon is paid extremely well to perform an operation as risky as that. I wouldn't have the guts to play with a person's life in my hands like that. Kudos.

Surgeons, doctors, nurses etc are great most of the time; other times they are awesome.

Or maybe a bit TOO awesome. :P

I hope that surgeon is paid extremely well to perform an operation as risky as that. I wouldn't have the guts to play with a person's life in my hands like that. Kudos.

You have a point, but the guy had a 5 - 10% chance of survival, if you look at it another way, wouldn't you do everything in your power to save him? I'd say you can't make it worse.

The boy would have died if he had left it be, he had to do this. I say.....Well done

Good thing he didn't lose his cool during the op, keeping professional cold detatchment like that, others would have melted under the pressure, guess he can chill-out now and earned some well earned rest. That's all I've got. :rofl: