Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Magpies tapping on windows !?

Doozer

Yesterday I was sitting watching telly and a Magpie came and landed on the window sill and started tapping on the window until I got up and went over to the window. As I started going to the window, the Magpie made a lot of noise then flew off.

I didn't think too much of it and went and sat back down.

Fifteen to twenty minutes later the same Magpie was back tapping on the same window until I got up, it made lots of noise then flew off.

When it came back for the 3rd time, I didn't get up, it sat looking at me whilst tapping on the window. After a while it made a lot more noise (some like normal magpie cackles and others not) tapped a lot on the window then flew off.

I didn't see any more magpies for the rest of the day, though there are normally serveral feeding during the day around the flats I live in. I thought this was very strange and wondered if this may be some warning or mean something.

Any ideas ?

This isn't such odd behavior for a member of the Crow family. It may have been using the tapping to declare territory and warn off rivals. Or it simply may have been playing. Crows, Jays and Magpies are known for doing things "just because." They're one of the few families of birds known to regularly engage in play behavior...

Agreed. Magpies are quite fun birds and -will- do things like that just to entertain themselves, especially if they have an audience. Those in our area do many of the same odd things.

More then likely it was just reacting to it's reflextion on the glass, I see them do that from time to time and also peewee's with mirror's on cars

• Like 3

• 8 years later...

Hi, had magpies tapping on my window 7.30 this morning and having observered them for a few minuites they were stealing the sealent from around the window frame. the cheek of it lol

Birds tapping on the window are allegedly a sign of a coming death in the family .

It happened to me once ,and someone was gone by the next day .

I would becareful. They had an elephant that would knock on doors at night. When you answered the elephant would kill you. True story.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I wish I had magpies where I live. They're kind of cool really. I only got to see them briefly when I drove through Idaho but only for a few minutes.

I don't think most birds have good depth perception and cannot really see past their reflection in windows...but it's fun to watch them freak out as they try to fight the 'other' bird.

Old timer told me that magpies talk too you if you slit their tongue. Better talkers than any other talking bird.

Anyone else heard of this?

• 2 weeks later...

We get lots of different birds coming and tapping on our windows or large glass back door. That's because most people around here put out a little bit of food every so often so they try their luck at each house.

Don't worry we don't feed them daily etc so they won't become dependent on humans.

Nine years gap between posts 5 and 6, this must be a record for necroposting

Yesterday I was sitting watching telly and a Magpie came and landed on the window sill and started tapping on the window until I got up and went over to the window. As I started going to the window, the Magpie made a lot of noise then flew off.

I didn't think too much of it and went and sat back down.

Fifteen to twenty minutes later the same Magpie was back tapping on the same window until I got up, it made lots of noise then flew off.

When it came back for the 3rd time, I didn't get up, it sat looking at me whilst tapping on the window. After a while it made a lot more noise (some like normal magpie cackles and others not) tapped a lot on the window then flew off.

I didn't see any more magpies for the rest of the day, though there are normally serveral feeding during the day around the flats I live in. I thought this was very strange and wondered if this may be some warning or mean something.

Any ideas ?

Just curious, do you have a dragon and big pile of gold in your basement?

Don't be surprised if a group of dwarves, one hobbit, and a wizard show up shortly.

Oh, and watch out for the orcs.