Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Without us this sacrilige cannot be built.

Agent X

Some Construction Workers Refuse To Build Mosque

MYFOXNY.COM - Some union construction workers say they will refuse to help build an Islamic mosque and cultural center planned for Lower Manhattan.

The BlueCollarCorner blog has started what is called thE 911 Hard Hat Pledge to rally union and no-union tradesmen to refuse to work the site near Ground Zero.

Andy Sullivan, a field super for A big union construction outfit, is behind the pledge.

Sullivan wrote, "My fellow Americans stand together and pledge not to work this hurtful insensitive project. Without us this sacrilege cannot be built."

The planned 13-story Park51 has exploded into a national debate after President Obama appeared to offer support for the project.

The Building Trades Employers' Association has not yet taken a formal position on the project or a potential boycott by union workers.

My link

Yeah I think I'm gonna go with it's a bunch of religious bigotry that is driving the resistance to any new Mosque being built now.

So yeah, I've fully changed my mind on the matter and will support the Mosque being built.

It's not about manners, but has become about religious bigotry.

And I now wonder if manners has just been the smokescreen to hide the religious aspect of the protesting all along.

It's shameful.

If it had just been left at the local level, I might have just continued with my "It's distasteful, but it should be a local decision and up to them" former stance, but I am against religious bigotry far more than I am against the building of the Mosque.

Because that's all this is about, is religious bigotry.

Religious bigotry cares nothing for civil rights.

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Michelle

• Agent X

• The Silver Thong

• Pseudo Intellectual

I don't think it's right to say that everyone that disagrees with building of this particular mosque are bigots. Although, the ones that are bigots are jumping on the bandwagon.

I don't think it's right to say that everyone that disagrees with building of this particular mosque are bigots. Although, the ones that are bigots are jumping on the bandwagon.

Allow me to disagree, the bigots and uniformed got the bandwagon going, wherein the latter are playing trombones and bass.

The question at hand is very basic. Do I think this mosque should be built next to ground zero. The answer is no, I don't think that it should. Now, with that said let me state reasoning. Yes, it is of bad taste and not very respectful of the families that lost loved ones on 9/11, this is true. Lets get beyond the most basic points and dig a little deeper into this mosque. The man responsible for this is Faisel Abdul Rauf. Anyone that wants to do a little research on this fellow should go right ahead becaus it doesn't take long to figure out he is shady at best. Refusing to reveal who is funding this is bad enough, but a little research provides the information that every muslim country has a stake in the property. Rauf has also made some troubling statements in the past that nobody seems to want to bring up now. He refuses to admit Hamas is a terrorist group, and is traveling around on the taxpayers dime promoting islam. These are just a few things that will turn up while doing a little research. Does it mean anything, I don't know, should we dig a little deeper considering what is going on in the world right now after 9/11 and with muslims? Yeah I think so.

Mike

I think it is stupid the Developers want to build a monument to Education and Tolerance and are practicing neither. They are not practicing what they preach.

If one is in a union, been in one myself, you go by what the union says to go by.Now if the union says to build the bloody thing and workers, they can go on strike and replacements, scabs, can be used to replace the strikers, if they choose to cross the picket line and with the economy like it is, I imagine a few folks will opt out for a job and pay, and will just have to put up with the abuse for building it, during and after. I have nothing against it being built, I question where it would be located, more out of good taste than religious zeal. I wasn't in favor of it when the idea first got kicked around and got lots of odd looks at the agency when I sorta "called it"and told both sides, "it ain't gonna be pretty before this is setteled".Now we can just sit back and see how colorfl the name callin' gets and if protests get nasty and damage is done to the site,workers threatened, etc. assuming it will be built where they want it to be.

Edited by Graveyard Hound

My link

Yeah I think I'm gonna go with it's a bunch of religious bigotry that is driving the resistance to any new Mosque being built now.

So yeah, I've fully changed my mind on the matter and will support the Mosque being built.

And I now wonder if manners has just been the smokescreen to hide the religious aspect of the protesting all along.

It's shameful.

If it had just been left at the local level, I might have just continued with my "It's distasteful, but it should be a local decision and up to them" former stance, but I am against religious bigotry far more than I am against the building of the Mosque.

this whole thing has become a political distraction. distracting us from what the federal government, the dems and the rep, are doing in Washington. just in time for people to start paying attention so they will know who to vote for in November.

I find it difficult to believe that a Muslim Community Center is a "Sacrilege" but that the hookers and strip clubs within 2 blocks of GZ are not...

I find it difficult to believe that a Muslim Community Center is a "Sacrilege" but that the hookers and strip clubs within 2 blocks of GZ are not...

hookers and strippers had nothing to do with gz, unless some of them died at gz.

the Muslims did have something to do with it. none of them have condemned the attackers on 9/11, instead fueling the conspiracies theory that the government did it.

hookers and strippers had nothing to do with gz, unless some of them died at gz.

the Muslims did have something to do with it. none of them have condemned the attackers on 9/11, instead fueling the conspiracies theory that the government did it.

Hate and ignorance are what caused the tragedy at the WTC. Hate and ignorance that called itself Islam (this time).

And none have condemned it? Wrong.

Islamic Statements Against Terrorism more at link

Mustafa Mashhur, General Guide, Muslim Brotherhood, Egypt; Qazi Hussain Ahmed, Ameer, Jamaat-e-Islami Pakistan, Pakistan; Muti Rahman Nizami, Ameer, Jamaat-e-Islami Bangladesh, Bangladesh; Shaykh Ahmad Yassin, Founder, Islamic Resistance Movement (Hamas), Palestine; Rashid Ghannoushi, President, Nahda Renaissance Movement, Tunisia; Fazil Nour, President, PAS - Parti Islam SeMalaysia, Malaysia; and 40 other Muslim scholars and politicians:

“The undersigned, leaders of Islamic movements, are horrified by the events of Tuesday 11 September 2001 in the United States which resulted in massive killing, destruction and attack on innocent lives. We express our deepest sympathies and sorrow. We condemn, in the strongest terms, the incidents, which are against all human and Islamic norms. This is grounded in the Noble Laws of Islam which forbid all forms of attacks on innocents. God Almighty says in the Holy Qur'an: 'No bearer of burdens can bear the burden of another' (Surah al-Isra 17:15).”

MSANews, September 14, 2001, http://msanews.mynet.net/MSANEWS/200109/20010917.15.html;

Arabic original in al-Quds al-Arabi (London), September 14, 2001, p. 2, http://www.alquds.co.uk:9090/pdf/2001/09Sep/14%20Sep%20Fri/Quds02.pdf

Shaykh Yusuf Qaradawi, Qatar; Tariq Bishri, Egypt; Muhammad S. Awwa, Egypt; Fahmi Huwaydi, Egypt; Haytham Khayyat, Syria; Shaykh Taha Jabir al-Alwani, U.S.:

“All Muslims ought to be united against all those who terrorize the innocents, and those who permit the killing of non-combatants without a justifiable reason. Islam has declared the spilling of blood and the destruction of property as absolute prohibitions until the Day of Judgment. ... [it is] necessary to apprehend the true perpetrators of these crimes, as well as those who aid and abet them through incitement, financing or other support. They must be brought to justice in an impartial court of law and [punished] appropriately. ... [it is] a duty of Muslims to participate in this effort with all possible means.”

Statement of September 27, 2001. The Washington Post, October 11, 2001, http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A40545-2001Oct10.html

Full text of this fatwa in English and Arabic.

Shaykh Muhammed Sayyid al-Tantawi, imam of al-Azhar mosque in Cairo, Egypt:

“Attacking innocent people is not courageous, it is stupid and will be punished on the day of judgement. ... It’s not courageous to attack innocent children, women and civilians. It is courageous to protect freedom, it is courageous to defend oneself and not to attack.”

Agence France Presse, September 14, 2001

Abdel-Mo'tei Bayyoumi, al-Azhar Islamic Research Academy, Cairo, Egypt:

“There is no terrorism or a threat to civilians in jihad [religious struggle].”

Al-Ahram Weekly Online, 20 - 26 September 2001, http://www.ahram.org.eg/weekly/2001/552/p4fall3.htm

Muslim Brotherhood, an opposition Islamist group in Egypt, said it was “horrified” by the attack and expressed “condolences and sadness”:

“[We] strongly condemn such activities that are against all humanist and Islamic morals. ... [We] condemn and oppose all aggression on human life, freedom and dignity anywhere in the world.”

Al-Ahram Weekly Online, 13 - 19 September 2001, http://www.ahram.org.eg/weekly/2001/551/fo2.htm

Shaykh Muhammad Hussein Fadlallah, spiritual guide of Shi‘i Muslim radicals in Lebanon, said he was “horrified” by these “barbaric ... crimes”:

“Beside the fact that they are forbidden by Islam, these acts do not serve those who carried them out but their victims, who will reap the sympathy of the whole world. ... Islamists who live according to the human values of Islam could not commit such crimes.”

Agence France Presse, September 14, 2001

‘Abdulaziz bin ‘Abdallah Al-Ashaykh, chief mufti of Saudi Arabia:

“Firstly: the recent developments in the United States including hijacking planes, terrorizing innocent people and shedding blood, constitute a form of injustice that cannot be tolerated by Islam, which views them as gross crimes and sinful acts. Secondly: any Muslim who is aware of the teachings of his religion and who adheres to the directives of the Holy Qur'an and the sunnah (the teachings of the Prophet Muhammad) will never involve himself in such acts, because they will invoke the anger of God Almighty and lead to harm and corruption on earth.”

Statement of September 15, 2001, http://saudiembassy.net/press_release/01-spa/09-15-Islam.htm

‘Abdulaziz bin ‘Abdallah Al-Ashaykh, chief mufti of Saudi Arabia:

"You must know Islam’s firm position against all these terrible crimes. The world must know that Islam is a religion of peace and mercy and goodness; it is a religion of justice and guidance…Islam has forbidden violence in all its forms. It forbids the hijacking airplanes, ships and other means of transport, and it forbids all acts that undermine the security of the innocent."

Hajj sermon of February 2, 2004, in "Public Statements by Senior Saudi Officials Condemning Extremism and Promoting Moderation," May 2004, http://www.saudiembassy.net/ReportLink/Report_Extremism_May04.pdf, page 10

Shaikh Saleh Al-Luheidan, Chairman of the Supreme Judicial Council, Saudi Arabia:

"As a human community we must be vigilant and careful to oppose these pernicious and shameless evils, which are not justified by any sane logic, nor by the religion of Islam."

Statement of September 14, 2001, in "Public Statements by Senior Saudi Officials Condemning Extremism and Promoting Moderation," May 2004, http://www.saudiembassy.net/ReportLink/Report_Extremism_May04.pdf, page 6

Shaikh Saleh Al-Luheidan, Chairman of the Supreme Judicial Council, Saudi Arabia:

"And I repeat once again: that this act that the United states was afflicted with, with this vulgarity and barbarism, and which is even more barbaric than terrorist acts, I say that these acts are from the depths of depravity and the worst of evils."

Televised statement of September 2001, in Muhammad ibn Hussin Al-Qahtani, editor, The Position of Saudi Muslim Scholars Regarding Terrorism in the Name of Islam (Saudi Arabia, 2004), pages 27-28.

Shaykh Muhammad bin ‘Abdallah al-Sabil, member of the Council of Senior Religious Scholars, Saudi Arabia:

“Any attack on innocent people is unlawful and contrary to shari'a (Islamic law). ... Muslims must safeguard the lives, honor and property of Christians and Jews. Attacking them contradicts shari'a.”

Agence France Presse, December 4, 2001

Council of Saudi ‘Ulama', fatwa of February 2003:

"What is happening in some countries from the shedding of the innocent blood and the bombing of buildings and ships and the destruction of public and private installations is a criminal act against Islam. ... Those who carry out such acts have the deviant beliefs and misleading ideologies and are responsible for the crime. Islam and Muslims should not be held responsible for such actions."

The Dawn newspaper, Karachi, Pakistan, February 8, 2003, http://www.dawn.com/2003/02/08/top17.htm; also in "Public Statements by Senior Saudi Officials Condemning Extremism and Promoting Moderation," May 2004, http://www.saudiembassy.net/ReportLink/Report_Extremism_May04.pdf, page 10

Shaykh Yusuf al-Qaradawi, chairman of the Sunna and Sira Council, Qatar:

"Our hearts bleed for the attacks that has targeted the World Trade Center [WTC], as well as other institutions in the United States despite our strong oppositions to the American biased policy towards Israel on the military, political and economic fronts. Islam, the religion of tolerance, holds the human soul in high esteem, and considers the attack against innocent human beings a grave sin, this is backed by the Qur’anic verse which reads: ‘Who so ever kills a human being [as punishment] for [crimes] other than manslaughter or [sowing] corruption in the earth, it shall be as if he has killed all mankind, and who so ever saves the life of one, it shall be as if he had saved the life of all mankind’ (Al-Ma’idah:32)."

Statement of September 13, 2001. http://www.islamonline.net/English/News/2001-09/13/article25.shtml. Arabic original at http://www.qaradawi.net/site/topics/article.asp?cu_no=2&item_no=1665&version=1&template_id=130&parent_id=17

Tahirul Qadri, head of the Awami Tehrik Party, Pakistan:

"Bombing embassies or destroying non-military installations like the World Trade Center is no jihad. ... "[T]hose who launched the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks not only killed thousands of innocent people in the United States but also put the lives of millions of Muslims across the world at risk. ... Bin Laden is not a prophet that we should put thousands of lives at risk for."

United Press International, October 18, 2001, http://www.newsmax.com/archives/articles/2001/10/17/195606.shtml

Ayatollah Ali Khamene’i, supreme jurist-ruler of Iran:

“Killing of people, in any place and with any kind of weapons, including atomic bombs, long-range missiles, biological or chemical weopons, passenger or war planes, carried out by any organization, country or individuals is condemned. ... It makes no difference whether such massacres happen in Hiroshima, Nagasaki, Qana, Sabra, Shatila, Deir Yassin, Bosnia, Kosovo, Iraq or in New York and Washington.”

Islamic Republic News Agency, September 16, 2001, http://www.irna.com/en/hphoto/010916000000.ehp.shtml

President Muhammad Khatami of Iran:

“[T]he September 11 terrorist blasts in America can only be the job of a group that have voluntarily severed their own ears and tongues, so that the only language with which they could communicate would be destroying and spreading death.”

Address to the United Nations General Assembly, November 9, 2001, http://www.president.ir/cronicnews/1380/8008/800818/800818.htm#b3

League of Arab States:

“The General-Secretariat of the League of Arab States shares with the people and government of the United States of America the feelings of revulsion, horror and shock over the terrorist attacks that ripped through the World Trade Centre and Pentagon, inflicting heavy damage and killing and wounding thousands of many nationalities. These terrorist crimes have been viewed by the League as inadmissible and deserving all condemnation. Divergence of views between the Arabs and the United States over the latter’s foreign policy on the Middle East crisis does in no way adversely affect the common Arab attitude of compassion with the people and government of the United States at such moments of facing the menace and ruthlessness of international terrorism. In more than one statement released since the horrendous attacks, the League has also expressed deep sympathy with the families of the victims. In remarks to newsmen immediately following the tragic events, Arab League Secretary-General Amre Moussa described the feelings of the Arab world as demonstrably sympathetic with the American people, particularly with families and individuals who lost their loved ones. “It is indeed tormenting that any country or people or city anywhere in the world be the scene of such disastrous attacks,” he added. While convinced that it is both inconceivable and lamentable that such a large-scale, organised terrorist campaign take place anywhere, anytime, the League believes that the dreadful attacks against WTC and the Pentagon unveil, time and again, that the cancer of terrorism can be extensively damaging if left unchecked. It follows that there is a pressing and urgent need to combat world terrorism. In this context, an earlier call by [Egyptian] President Hosni Mubarak for convening an international conference to draw up universal accord on ways and means to eradicate this phenomenon and demonstrate international solidarity is worthy of active consideration. The Arabs have walked a large distancein the fight against cross-border terrorism by concluding in April 1998 the Arab Agreement on Combating Terrorism.”

September 17, 2001, http://www.leagueofarabstates.org/E_Perspectives_17_09_01.asp

Dr. Abdelouahed Belkeziz, Secretary-General of the Organization of the Islamic Conference:

“Following the bloody attacks against major buildings and installations in the United States yesterday, Tuesday, September 11, 2001, Dr. Abdelouahed Belkeziz, secretary-general of the 57-nation Organization of the Islamic Conference (OIC), stated that he was shocked and deeply saddened when he heard of those attacks which led to the death and injury of a very large number of innocent American citizens. Dr. Belkeziz said he was denouncing and condemning those criminal and brutal acts that ran counter to all covenants, humanitarian values and divine religions foremost among which was Islam.”

Press Release, Jeddah, Saudi Arabia, September 12, 2001, http://www.oic-oci.org/press/english/september%202001/america%20on%20attack.htm

Nibs

The people building the community center also had nothing to do with 9/11, so that argument doesn't work with me. But thank you for trying to play.

Hate and ignorance are what caused the tragedy at the WTC. Hate and ignorance that called itself Islam (this time).

And none have condemned it? Wrong.

Islamic Statements Against Terrorism more at link

Nibs

ok i take back part of the none statement. now show me those who are building this mosque or any leading american muslims that have.

ok i take back part of the none statement. now show me those who are building this mosque or any leading american muslims that have.

So, people are only allowed to build things in this country now if they have the correct set of political views? Wow... That's an interesting take on the concepts that the constitution was based on...

The American Muslim

TONS of links at the above link

Muslims Condemn Terrorist Attacks

More links

US Muslims Condemn Attack

U.S. MUSLIMS CONDEMN TERRORIST ATTACKS

(WASHINGTON, DC - 9/11/2001) - The American Muslim Political Coordination Council (AMPCC), today condemned the apparent terrorist attacks in New York and Washington and offered condolences to the families of those who were killed or injured.

The AMPCC statement read in part:

"American Muslims utterly condemn what are apparently vicious and cowardly acts of terrorism against innocent civilians. We join with all Americans in calling for the swift apprehension and punishment of the perpetrators. No political cause could ever be assisted by such immoral acts."

Leaders of the American Muslim Political Coordination Council (AMPCC) held a meeting in Washington, DC, on Tuesday, September 11, 2001, to issue the following points related to the terrorist attacks:

1) We assert unequivocal condemnation based on our religious values and our identity as American Muslims;

2) We do not need to defend every maniacal incident emanating from the Muslim world or the Muslim community, just as other religious groups need not defend their extremists;

3) We offer compassion to the victims and solidarity with all Americans in the face of danger;

4) Notwithstanding the disbelief that anyone following the faith of Islam could commit such a heinous crime, we condemn the act regardless of the identity of the perpetrators;

5) We deplore the irresponsible reporting that twists the realities and complexities of the Muslim world in order to project only anti-American sentiment during this disturbing period when we are all attempting to move beyond the state of mourning for the national tragedy;

6) We warn against opportunists who will exploit the misery and hysteria of the public in order to promote a political agenda aimed at tarnishing the name of Islam and Muslims;

7) We should not diminish our resolve to be active in protecting the civil liberties of all Americans and struggling for justice both locally and globally;

8) We need to organize activities to help the victims medically, psychologically and in every other way we can.

American Muslim Alliance (AMA) Condemns Terrorist Attack

(Newark, California: 9/11/01) The American Muslim Alliance, a national civic education organization, condemned today's terrorist attacks in New York and Washington in the "strongest terms".

Dr. Agha Saeed, the national Chair of the American Muslim Alliance, Stated:

"These attacks are against both divine and human laws and we condemn them in the strongest terms. The Muslim Americans join the nation in calling for swift apprehension and stiff punishment of the perpetrators, and offer our sympathies to the victims and their families."

AMC Deplores The Attacks on the World Trade Center and the Pentagon

(WASHINGTON, DC - 9/11/2001) The American Muslim Council (AMC) strongly condemns this morning's plane attacks on the World Trade Center and the Pentagon and expresses deep sorrow for Americans that were injured and killed. AMC sends out its condolence to all victims of this cowardly terrorist attack. There is no cause that justifies this type of an immoral and inhumane act that has affected so many innocent American lives. AMC supports all efforts of the investigation in order to track down the people responsible for this tragic act of terrorism.

The American Muslim Political Coordination Council (AMPCC) issued a statement which reads:

"American Muslims utterly condemn what are apparently vicious and cowardly acts of terrorism against innocent civilians. We join with all Americans in calling for the swift apprehension and punishment of the perpetrators. No Political cause could ever be assisted by such immoral acts."

The AMPCC consists of AMC, Council on American-Islamic Relations, American Muslim Alliance and Muslim Public Affairs Council.

Donate Blood To Help The Innocent Victims

(WASHINGTON, DC - 9/11/2001) The American Muslim Council calls upon the members of the Muslim community to come together at this tragic time where so many of our fellow Americans have been killed and injured. This American tragedy affects all of us and we should do whatever we can do help save lives of the injured victims. AMC encourages Islamic Centers to start blood drive campaigns and encourages everyone to visit hospitals and medical centers in the capitol and New York City to donate much needed blood to those who are required to receive immediate medical assistance.

AMC Seeks Assistance From Law Enforcement Agencies To Protect All Americans

(WASHINGTON, DC - 9/11/2001) The American Muslim Council (AMC) is urging all Muslims to come together in this time of tragedy. AMC today condemned the cowardly terrorist attacks in New York City and Washington and expressed its condolences to the families of innocent people killed. This horrific violent incident disturbs American Muslims.

AMC wants all law enforcement officials to be cognizant of the fact that at times like these, there are some acts of violence perpetrated against Islamic Centers and Muslims of our communities. We are confident that authorities will protect all men, women and children. We hope to prevent the acts of violence directed towards Muslims and Islamic Centers. American Muslims experienced violent attacks and verbal harassment in the aftermath of the Oklahoma City Bombing when our fellow citizens rushed to judgment about the perpetrators of the crime. We urge our fellow Americans not to be quick to stereotype Muslims, who are also suffering at this traumatic time. We, like all Americans, want to feel secure and want to see the perpetrators brought to justice. Enough innocent lives have been killed today.

More quotes at the link.

Nibs

ETA - Q&A with Sharif el-Gamal about Park51

Edited by HerNibs

So, people are only allowed to build things in this country now if they have the correct set of political views? Wow... That's an interesting take on the concepts that the constitution was based on...

i didnt say that, it isnt they want to build something it is where they want to. besides now your saying that the construction workers dont have a right to say they wont build it. now whose rights are you stepping on.

i didnt say that, it isnt they want to build something it is where they want to. besides now your saying that the construction workers dont have a right to say they wont build it. now whose rights are you stepping on.

Excuse me? Can you quote me where I claimed anything that bolsters you saying "besides now your saying that the construction workers dont have a right to say they wont build it."? Just one quote from one of my posts? Go ahead - I will be waiting.

I don't like people lying about what I post - especially when what I say is right there in writing.

The American Muslim

TONS of links at the above link

Muslims Condemn Terrorist Attacks

More links

US Muslims Condemn Attack

More quotes at the link.

Nibs

i take offense at statement 6. i also asked for something from these people who are building it. so far the only thing i have heard is that the leader wants to force sharia law into affect in the us even if it takes a revolt to do so. oh and that this isnt a mosque but an open religion spot being billed by him as a mosque

They want to build a community center in Manhattan. Some where near the WTC, an OTB, a strip club and several McDonalds.

If a construction worker doesn't want to work on the building then he doesn't have to but he does need to respect those that are willing.

I've asked this in other threads - once the towers (or what ever) are rebuilt, will we "allow" Arabic/Muslim owned companies to occupy the space?

Nibs

Excuse me? Can you quote me where I claimed anything that bolsters you saying "besides now your saying that the construction workers dont have a right to say they wont build it."? Just one quote from one of my posts? Go ahead - I will be waiting.

I don't like people lying about what I post - especially when what I say is right there in writing.

if the mosque isnt built it is because people is bigoted, if you didnt write that then i am sorry. but i know i saw it some where on this thread. these construction worker have the right to refuse to work. in fact in the usa we have the right to be bigoted.

They want to build a community center in Manhattan. Some where near the WTC, an OTB, a strip club and several McDonalds.

If a construction worker doesn't want to work on the building then he doesn't have to but he does need to respect those that are willing.

I've asked this in other threads - once the towers (or what ever) are rebuilt, will we "allow" Arabic/Muslim owned companies to occupy the space?

Nibs

and if the workers deside to strike the site.

if the mosque isnt built it is because people is bigoted, if you didnt write that then i am sorry. but i know i saw it some where on this thread. these construction worker have the right to refuse to work. in fact in the usa we have the right to be bigoted.

I suggest you step back and realize who you are talking to before making claims about what they said.

I also suggest that you step back and realize another little fact - this is not a "Mosque" - this is a community center that will have one room in it that can be used as a Mosque. It seems people are under the impression that some sort of grand minarets and onion dome building is going up in Manhattan when all this building will be is a rather nondescript building that nobody would pay attention to if it weren't for the far right applying the name "Ground Zero Mosque" to it. After all, that name is wrong in two ways - it is not being built on Ground Zero and it is not a Mosque.

i take offense at statement 6. i also asked for something from these people who are building it. so far the only thing i have heard is that the leader wants to force sharia law into affect in the us even if it takes a revolt to do so. oh and that this isnt a mosque but an open religion spot being billed by him as a mosque

Offended at #6? Ok. I take it to mean that the people denouncing the attacks are warning that some people may use the attacks as an excuse to attack all Muslims.

6) We warn against opportunists who will exploit the misery and hysteria of the public in order to promote a political agenda aimed at tarnishing the name of Islam and Muslims;

I added a Q&A with Sharif El-Gamal after I posted.

As far as I can tell there is only one source stating that he is trying to institute Shariah law in the US and he denies he ever said it. *shrug* Your choice on who to believe.

Were you aware that many Jewish groups in NY support the building of the community center?

Nibs

and if the workers deside to strike the site.

Then they strike. It's up to the Union if there is a strike. Believe me, NY has seen strikes again and again. Stuff still gets built.

Nibs

I'm beginning to think not.

We'll just have to wait and see.

I'm willing to make a gentleman's bet though, to anybody who thinks this is just about the "mosque", I think if it were to be built that there will be these same people who will build the WTC that any Muslim businesses will be protested.

And that should convince any other bench sitters that religious bigotry is really what this is all about.

Because if this is just about the mosque being in distaste, then they really shouldn't protest the building of any new Muslim businesses.

I'm still not sure if the mosque was meant to be a deliberate provocation?

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/news/Mischief+Manhattan/3370303/story.html

New York currently boasts at least 30 mosques so it's not as if there is pressing need to find space for worshippers. The fact we Muslims know the idea behind the Ground Zero mosque is meant to be a deliberate provocation to thumb our noses at the infidel. The proposal has been made in bad faith and in Islamic parlance, such an act is referred to as "Fitna," meaning "mischief-making" that is clearly forbidden in the Koran.

The Koran commands Muslims to, "Be considerate when you debate with the People of the Book" -- i.e., Jews and Christians. Building an exclusive place of worship for Muslims at the place where Muslims killed thousands of New Yorkers is not being considerate or sensitive, it is undoubtedly an act of "fitna"

(Gallery: Remembering the tragedy of 9/11)

So what gives Imam Feisal Abdul Rauf of the "Cordoba Initiative" and his cohorts the misplaced idea that they will increase tolerance for Muslims by brazenly displaying their own intolerance in this case?

Do they not understand that building a mosque at Ground Zero is equivalent to permitting a Serbian Orthodox church near the killing fields of Srebrenica where 8,000 Muslim men and boys were slaughtered?

There are many questions that we would like to ask. Questions about where the funding is coming from? If this mosque is being funded by Saudi sources, then it is an even bigger slap in the face of Americans, as nine of the jihadis in the Twin Tower calamity were Saudis.

cont...

My link

It's shameful.

Don't you think those who want to build a mosque near ground zero are religious bigots?