Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
fullywired

. - Understanding religious delusion

680 posts in this topic

Br Cornelius

Any religion in any form is simply brainwashing, every level of this type of 'belief' is just an history lesson in control. ;)

Shamanism doesn't control, it serves the community by active healing and prediction. It is a path of direct communion with the earth system.

It is a mistake to use to broad a brush when characterising a general concept such as spirituality. Your statement is only true of the large state religions which evolved from these spiritual practices.

Br Cornelius

cluey

WOW!!!! ....Evidently not!!!!! :rofl:Sorry, Dr. D..... I couldn't resist....

class clown!!!!....do me a favor.....if you don't have it...go get Monty Phythons ,life of Brian......... religion in a tea cup :)

Belial

Shamanism doesn't control, it serves the community by active healing and prediction. It is a path of direct communion with the earth system.

It is a mistake to use to broad a brush when characterising a general concept such as spirituality. Your statement is only true of the large state religions which evolved from these spiritual practices.

Br Cornelius

I see what your saying, but even the type of beliefs you talk of, are passed down through communities and family bases, are they not?

Br Cornelius

I see what your saying, but even the type of beliefs you talk of, are passed down through communities and family bases, are they not?

Continuity of Tribal traditions can make the difference between survival and death. Only when a local tribal tradition becomes globalised is that a problem, and that is why the Judao/Christian model is so bad for the world - it is devoid of any contact with the original tribal utility.

Br Cornelius

Mr Walker

Br Cornelius

What is to prevent a shaman leader from using his/her role position/authority to influence/coerce others? Particularly in "primitive" societies, where physical knowledg is limited A shaman could have considerable power either conferred on him or taken up by him.

All religious forms are corruptible and all religious forms have potential for both good and evil. I know that in parts of eastern russia, until a century or so ago, shaman were feared for their powers, and buried in ways and places such that they could no longer influence the living. Because shamanism doesnt have a world wide authority like judaism or islam or christianity, its potentials are limited.

Certainly traditional shamanism in europe asia and australlia was influenced by strong community leaders, who did influence their communities and set agendas on which they decided.

Any individual spirituality, be it christian or other, works as you describe shamanism. It is an individual relationship of direct communion, and can provide access to healing, prediction and protection.