Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Canada recalled its ambassador to Iran

Thanato

Canada recalled its ambassador to Iran yesterday after judges in Tehran suddenly halted the trial of an intelligence agent accused of killing Montreal photographer Zahra Kazemi.

The court barred diplomats and journalists from the third and final day of the trial of Mohammad Reza Aqdam, who allegedly administered a deadly blow to the 54-year-old's head.

Read the rest here

~Thanato

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Daughter of the Nine Moons

• alis

• reese2

• Thanato

Top Posters In This Topic

thats really awful. i know how the government in Iran work and i dont agree with it.

ive almost been arrested before for almost starting an arguement in the iranian embassy, well, i would have been had i said what i thought. unfortunately it seems they have made an 'example' out of the poor woman, to warden off other journalists. my heart goes out to her family.

Canada should have recalled our ambassador a year ago and booted out Iran's ambassador to Canada. My opinion.

Canada should have recalled our ambassador a year ago and booted out Iran's ambassador to Canada. My opinion.

Ya i agree with ya, but Iran promised a trial and that Canada would be able to have observers there, unfortinatly Iran is run by a Dictatorship, and they lie alot. I hope we impose international Sanctions on Iran, and hte European Union does the same.

~Thanato

Ms. Kazemi, a freelance photographer with dual Iranian-Canadian citizenship, was arrested in June, 2003, while taking pictures of a student protest outside Evin Prison in Tehran. She spent time in the custody of judicial prosecutors, the police and the Intelligence Ministry before lapsing into a coma and being admitted to hospital, where she died on July 10, 2003.

During testimony on Saturday, her mother accused officials of torturing Ms. Kazemi to death.

"There were burns on my daughter's chest. Her fingers and nose and toes were broken," Ezzat Kazemi said.

The judiciary originally claimed the journalist died of a stroke, but a government report later revealed she had been struck with a blunt object during 77 hours of interrogation. Mr. Aqdam was subsequently charged with "semi-intentional murder," which carries a maximum penalty of three years in jail.

The Canadian government dropped the ball in this situation right from the begining. They (Iranian officials) tortured and murdered her for taking bloody pictures.

Dot9M

BTW Thanato, very cool name thumbsup.gif

Edited by Daughter of the Nine Moons

that doesnt answer my question though.,you dont have to answer, but you dont have to reiterate what ive already read and accepted either.

alis I wasn't ignoring your question. I just don't know the answer. Last year we had an outgoing Prime Minister more concerned about the "legacy" he would leave. Currently our leadership does not have big enough balls to insist on it. I don't know. All I know is that this woman died in a horrible way and I don't think that she will get justice.

Dot

If my previous post is repetative forgive me. My thought was that others might not take the time to click on the link.

i sincerely apologise Daughter of the Nine Moons. it is tragic what happened and there is no excuse for it either. but i think some people would go to war with the middle east for about almost anything, im not including you when i say that. i think imposing sanctions etc like you said are far more effective than killing a load of innocent people who are already suffering at the hands of the regime.

No apologies necessary alis. I personally think that Canada could have made a more effective statement through diplomacy (by recalling our ambassador a year ago and expelling Iran's ambassador to Canada). It would have made a stronger point. As it stands now the Iranian officials have jerked us all around for a year with the misleading notion that they were pursuing justice.

Dot

i agree totally in this incident. the family of the victim should have justice, but i just pray to God that thousands and thousands more innocent people dont have to die for a regime change, and knowing Bushes intentions if he is re elected, i feel quite uneasy about the situation.

I myself would be quite pleased to see peace come to the middle east. However I honestly feel in my heart that the current situation will last for a long time.

Dot

i hope not for my family's sake. they live in the capital so if the USA do attack i think i have reason to be concerned.

alis

Alis, I sincerely hope that your family stays safe. My heart goes out to you.

Dot original.gif

I myself would be quite pleased to see peace come to the middle east. However I honestly feel in my heart that the current situation will last for a long time.

Dot

Dot, there never will be peace in the Middle East, as they have lived in turmoil for years..

thank you so much Daughter of the Nine Moons. i really really appreciate that comment. as for some others, well im begining, just begining to let them go over my head.

sincerely

alis thumbsup.gif

Unfortunately Reese I tend to agree, but we can always hope.

I sometimes wonder what would happen if all the mothers across the world stood together and said "No, you cannot send my son to war"

Wishful thinking I know.

Dot

Dot, unfortunately, war is a needed thing... But, peace does roll of ones' tongue better, doesn't it?

wub.gif

I sometimes wonder what would happen if all the mothers across the world stood together and said "No, you cannot send my son to war"

they would be executed for opening their mouths in some countries:P

Bathroy I know you are right. However naïve it might seem though, I can't help but wish for it.

Dot

thats ok..

thier next on america's list

dontgetit.gif

i think the soldiers should just refuse to fight

Update

July 25, 2004

The son of Iranian-Canadian photojournalist Zahra Kazemi, Stephan Hachemi, rejects $12,000 in compensation from the Iranian government, calling it "blood money."

link