Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Bizarre statue

Kageyoshi

I'm sorry if my last reply offended you. I just saw questions that were previously already answered, and I'm a person that doesn't like repetitive things.

I really am interested in buying the thing, and all I wanted from you guys is some advices. Let's put the scam thing aside. Everyone is capable of judging things, but that's not the idea here. Let's just assume that the story is real, and try to get some answers. I believe that shouldn't be very hard, right?

just buy the thing. you would be out what? $30? so what. if its a scam, hey live and learn. if its a genuine haunted item, then you can put it on ebay too. buy it, then take it far away from your house. put it in a box. wrap the box in rope, twine, and chains. pull out a lawn chair and watch the box from about 100 yards. after a few hours, open the box. then go from there.

or instead of that, leave the statue in the open and video record it. if it comes back, hey a paranormal pal! if not,a lifetime supply of toothpicks.

Edited by a vampire wears my boxers

I think it's a great story, but that's about it.

Is it a scam? Might be, saying it never reaches you but appears back at the house.. well that sounds like a perfect excuse, but unless he's stringing along a few people, it's a lot of effort for a bit of shipping money.

You sound like you've already made up your mind to take this statue, so you don't really need our blessing to do so, just do it.

If it does turn up, good for you and us scam-sayers will take a bite out of our hats.

It'd be very interesting for you to keep a diary, and if it is a paranormal item, we can try some experiments (And try to help you get rid of it as well ^_^

Do keep us all informed on how this turns out.

That's a deal.

Assuming that I win the auction, the statue should be shipped within few days to my home, since I don't live very far. I'll keep a video log of any activities. Should anything odd happen, I'll ask for your advice.

I'd hold off, see what else is said about it, good, bad, or indifferent, and then decide.Just weight all the evidence and let a good matter of educated guesses, mixed with some common sense influence how you should act.

OK. I get that the statue follows people around the house and points at them. No matter what he does, it comes back and only a mirror seems to control it, which it or something shatters and the statue moves around again. My question is why would this statue set itself on fire? That's quite an opening to this tale.

My guess is it's a hoax, but if you want to purchase it and see for yourself, then go for it. It will make an interesting conversation piece. I'd get the owner to send a written copy of his story along with it. See how high the bidding goes and decide if you're willing to pay the amount asked.

Good point, but one thing I fail to understand..

Why written copy?

Does it have something to do with Ebay rules or state law? By getting a written copy, do I get some protection about it?

By the way, yes. I am definitely determined to purchase the statue now. No matter what the price. I've set up a video rig at my home to record the statue 24/7. Should something happen, I'll surely have solid evidence about it. I just wonder if it's ok to post the video here? Will the good admin allow it?

As for your question about the statue pointing at people, setting itself on fire, I really cannot think of any good explanation about it. Then again, nobody can, right? I just wish I could know if this thing is benevolent or not. Either way, I'm going the full 9 yards, after all, I won't know until I try, right?

Yeah you can post a video here if something happens with the statue. I'd get a written copy of his story just to verify it's history. It probably won't bring any guarantees but it's an interesting topic of discussion when you have visitors over. Who knows. Maybe you will write a new chapter yourself.

It seems to show up in odd places and scare people but the only thing it ever hurt was itself.

Hurt itself

You know what, I never thought of it in that fashion. And when I think about it better, you're kinda right. According to the story, the statue charred itself completely and burned it's head off. That's kinda out-of-the-box, and seems pretty new and original to me. Yeah, I'll ask for a written copy. Thank you very much for the idea.

$40.50 and rising...Still 6 days left to bid......

You still plan on buying it?

I am telling you , this is a scam , and they work well if written well.....I did not know he had the bids open so long , if he wanted it gone so fast , why did he not have the smallest days to bid on there?.....Still 6 days left tells me he was letting the "story" make it's way across the paranormal websites and emails first.......

If I have missed what I'm about to say I apologize but...my first idea was to burn the thing. If it's made of wood, it scares them, why don't they just take it outside, build a huge bonfire, and burn it?

If I have missed what I'm about to say I apologize but...my first idea was to burn the thing. If it's made of wood, it scares them, why don't they just take it outside, build a huge bonfire, and burn it?

Because they would not have anything left to sell........

Yes , they want to sell this thing , does anyone get this?......Scam no.gif

Buy it and send the statue to his next door neighbour with a note saying

"Please place this statue on your neighbours front doorstep. Just the statue, nothing else. Maybe put a broken mirror next to it"

@ Sakari

Is it possible to end the auction early? I asked some people about this, I wanted the statue earlier than the official auction end time, but they said it's not possible. If there's a way, please enlighten me. I'll talk to the seller about ending it early if that's possible. Other than that, YES, I am going to bid even if it reaches $1000. I'm determined on testing this.

@ everyone else

I just got a response from the seller about two questions that I asked earlier. This is what he said.

Hello

I'm writing about the question you asked me a few days. I'm sorry to tell you that I can't find the mirror anywhere. I searched everywhere in the basement. It must have been thrown away along with the garbage. I see what your point was, and it's a good idea, but unfortunately, it's quite impossible to recover the mirror now.

As for the statue activity, I checked on it yesterday, and everything was intact. The mirror was against the statue, it wasn't cracked. The statue was standing where I left it. I don't know what this means, maybe the statue doesn't want people in the house, maybe it doesn't like just us, I really don't know what to say. All I know is that I don't want to stress my grandmother any longer by living in this house along with the statue, so please don't ask of us to move back in to find out if the statue starts with it's activities again.

If there's anything else I can answer, please ask.

Best regards,

Any ideas on what to do next?

first off this guy is not a first time seller , looks like something he made at school ,dad started burning the garbage out of the shed ,he caught him grab it out of the fire ,saying it was worth something , dad said its junk, and he bet him, that he could sell it on E bay for heaps , so the bet was on .... I know its only a story I made up, but it is a more believable story then his .... 1st his could of burnt himself! if he was to scared to do that send it overseas to anywhere with no return address, or put as free ,wouldn't you and pay for the postage yourself!..... but no he would rather freak his old grandmother out for another ten days doing a Auction....why the strange evil statue romes the house pointing (thats right) next to the graveyard .... reappearing in his spooky cellar ......(this guy is good )......he does know how ebay works he has used it a number of times buying and selling, don't be sucked in BOO

Let's not judge before we test, ma'am..

Someone earlier said that there's a good chance that I'll never get the statue even if I bought it. The story is well crafted to give the seller an alibi not to send the statue at all, and instead claim that the statue appeared back in his basement somewhere midway during the shipping, over and over. I'm well aware of that, but I'm willing to give it a shot. Ebay covers my purchase and shipping price anyway, so I have nothing to lose, really. I just wish that we waited until I test this story completely before we label it as scam. Trust me, if it's scam, I'll be the first one to announce it.

By the way, will anyone please teach me how to end an Ebay auction earlier?

you go to.... see bid history,, I just looked it up its 19 bids , next to that is ,( learn about bidding then click) you and someone else are there ,both with no bidding history...... it could be him bidding up ..... under a different name ...have fun at least you will learn about ebay or you might get the (wooden) POINT !

Other than that, YES, I am going to bid even if it reaches $1000. I'm determined on testing this.

You would waste $1000 on a crappy burned "haunted" statue that is practically guaranteed to be a scam, and probably won't even show up at your door?

You were born to buy this. BTW, were you born yesterday? :w00t:

P.S. YOU don't get to end the auction early, it's all up to the seller. Why would you ever have the ability to end someone else's auction (unless there was a BIN)?

P.P.S. I have a 13th century medallion that occasionally floats around the room. I'll be putting it on eBay, make sure to bid on it! It's guaranteed haunted!

Edited by Moonie2012

I just asked a simple question:

What is the procedure of ending the auction early?

Is it too hard to answer that? I'm tired of hearing this "scam" argument. If you're willing to help, then please guide me on what I need to do and who I need to contact about ending the auction early. If it's scam, it's my loss. Don't worry about it.

Is it too hard to answer that? I'm tired of hearing this "scam" argument. If you're willing to help, then please guide me on what I need to do and who I need to contact about ending the auction early. If it's scam, it's my loss. Don't worry about it.

You, as the buyer, cannot ask the auction to be ended early, only the seller can do that and I'm not sure if by ending it early the highest bidder gets it or if all bids are cancelled.

I know you're tired of the scam argument, but it may be time to really consider that. There are definitely some red flags:

• As someone pointed out, most of the bids are from users with 1 or no bid history.
  • The seller posted this as an auction(and a long one at that) and not a "Buy It Now", which he could have done for a penny.
  • The story is too good and is essentially a trap for someone interested in a guaranteed paranormal experience.

My advice is definitely to pass on it, but since you seem deadset on buying it, I hope it turns out to be what you're looking for.

I DID answer that. YOU DON'T GET TO END THE AUCTION EARLY. Why would you? It's not your item. All you can do is ask the seller to end it for you, and they don't have to.

Now if YOU were selling it, then you would have the option to end early.

I DID answer that. YOU DON'T GET TO END THE AUCTION EARLY. Why would you? It's not your item. All you can do is ask the seller to end it for you, and they don't have to.

Now if YOU were selling it, then you would have the option to end early.

Thank you. That's what I wanted to know. Someone said that even the seller cannot end the auction early, that it's literally impossible, others said that I need to ask Ebay reps to end it, etc etc.

Now if it's not too much trouble, could someone tell me what the seller needs to do in order to end the auction early?

Edited by Kageyoshi

you go to.... see bid history,, I just looked it up its 19 bids , next to that is ,( learn about bidding then click) you and someone else are there ,both with no bidding history...... it could be him bidding up ..... under a different name ...have fun at least you will learn about ebay or you might get the (wooden) POINT !

I thought that he could be bidding for it himself to raise the price.