Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Man-eating giant squid devouring fish stocks

Still Waters

DEADLY sea monsters have woken from the deep to cause carnage among some of the world’s richest fishing grounds.

Millions of killer giant squid are not only devouring vast amounts of fish they have even started attacking humans.

Two Mexican fishermen were recently dragged from their boats and chewed so badly that their bodies could not be identified even by their own families.

No wonder the giant squid are called “diablos rojos” – red devils.

Monster squid are the stuff of legend. But for fishermen and marine biologists along 10,000 miles of coast from Chile to Alaska, the myth has become reality.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• J4yD0r

• Jack_of_Blades

• HerNibs

• Queen in the North

Giant squid? Are they talking about the actual giant varieties of squid like Architeuthis or the Colossal Squid, or are they talking about Humboldt squid?

If it is the former... :blink:

More than probably the latter though, which is fairly common.

From the article -

Since 2002, Humboldt giant squid, named after the 18th century German explorer, have been spreading their tentacles to deplete fishing stocks by moving from their traditional tropical hunting grounds off Mexico and laying claim to a vast sweep of the Pacific.

Nibs

After reading article: they`re Humboldts. Not giant at all!

How disappointing :blush:

If you think swimming with sharks is dangerous...well, think of it this way. Imagine if all those black-tip reef sharks you`re in the water with were more agressive, twice as smart, and all had 10 incredibly strong, highly mobile arms to get you with. Yeah :blink:

If you think swimming with sharks is dangerous...well, think of it this way. Imagine if all those black-tip reef sharks you`re in the water with were more agressive, twice as smart, and all had 10 incredibly strong, highly mobile arms to get you with. Yeah

Indeed Humboldts are extremely aggressive. Particularly when they are being jigged (as I'm sure was the fishing method these fisherman used). One squid gets caught and starts flashing its colors and this creates a chain reaction of cannibalism, fear, and agression among all the other squid in the water.

After reading article: they`re Humboldts. Not giant at all!

How disappointing :blush:

If you think swimming with sharks is dangerous...well, think of it this way. Imagine if all those black-tip reef sharks you`re in the water with were more agressive, twice as smart, and all had 10 incredibly strong, highly mobile arms to get you with. Yeah :blink:

Well, they might not be giants, but I wouldn't say it's disappointing. If anything, Humboldts are like sea ninjas. Efficient and deadly. :ph34r:

I'm not that fond of deep water to begin with and this just freaks me out, imagine if a giant squid got ahold of you.....that's not gonna be a good day :no:

I guess we just gotta eat more squid instead of fish then, problem solved :P

They are pretty tasty :rofl:

I have a fear of being attacked by squids though. They're so creepy.

These fisher men must surely be aware of the aggressive behaviour these squid are obviously known for!!!!.....so why go poking and prodding them???.....anyone gets peeved when poked and prodded...........for them to migrate only tells me the fish supplies are low or just plain c r a p !!!............there aint nothing tastier than deep fried peppered wobbly legs.......yummmooo!!!!!!