Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The murder of Cheri Jo Bates

JonathanVonErich

Brightington..was another school I am pretty sure, I am trying to find schools in CA that have that name, and trying to see if it makes any sense.

what's bothering me is that we have no informations about Cheri Jo's father....We have nothing about him and it's sad because i really like the link you made between him and the male killer....

do you mean Brighton ?? because it's all i can find....

Anyway it's awesome, will talk to Tom voigt about it for sure.....

Okay, and idk how it's spelled I just got the sounding of it. And okay good talk to him, and that is a shame are you sure you can get nothing on her father. I find it hard to believe that their is nothing, since I was so clearly able to see him in business, and placing bets, he was somewhat of a gambler, that is forsure, esp since of the horse race. I find that odd no one has anything on him, see if you can get someone that does.

i'll try, the only think we knows is that him and Cheri were very very close....i'll try to get more details about him.

Brighton is a little community in Sacramento county.

New Brighton State Beach is one of the most popular and most visited state beaches in California.

just wrote a email to Tom Voigt about Joseph Bates.

Hopefully i'll have the answer soon.

Edited by JonathanVonErich

Weird I never knew that, guess you learn something new everyday thanks for that tidbit..now only if I was playing jeapordy :P

More info for you Puri:

Joseph Bates was a machinist employed at the Corona, California Naval Ordnance Laboratory. He resided with Cheri Jo at 4195 Via San Jose. Cheri Jo's mother lived in Riverside also, but was separated from the father. Cheri Jo had a brother who was serving in the United States Navy.

Well I got nothing on the Brother I don't see him as important, in the case that is. I still see the father as a better and the racetrack still not going away. Interesting though they both were in the navy...erm wonder how they have so little on him when he was employed in a government facility, doesn't make much sense.

yeah i know...I wrote a mail to Tom Voigt so hopefully he will answer me soon....love the link to the race track, hopefully it will make sense pretty soon....

Here's another pic, this time it's Cheri Jo with her father and brother at the beach( maybe Brighton beach ). Sorry to post all these pictures but maybe this will help the case, we never knows...

cheribeach.gif

Edited by JonathanVonErich

All,

Should I start another post to discuss the Zodiac's other murder's.

If not....has the young man who survived the Lake Beryessa stabbing ever given more interviews or info?

Since just about every couple years or so some kooks cop to being related to the real Zodiac....has the S.F.P.D. investigated these reports in hope of finally closing the case?

Were some of the parallels in George Hodel's Zodiac book plausible enough to warrant serious study?

I also think the Wing Walker boots being of a military type were not necassarily a clue

to his having been in the armed forces. Up until the 80's there were a lot more Military Surplus stores and more folks purchased utiltarian affordable shoes and clothing ( No Ed Hardy stuff.....wish it were still the same!!!) I also believe the cropped hair /or flattop described by witnesses did not betray prior military service. This hairstyle was popular among men in the 50, 60 and 70's

Has the strange allusion to hunting slaves been associated to any particular cult or religous movement of the era? I thought somewhere I read that it was an ancient Egypttian belief .

Also was there not some question of prior law enforcement experience, OR AT LEAST A VERY HIGH LEVEL OF UNDERSTANDING THE TECHNIQUES OF THE DAY....maybe I am remembering wrong

THANKS...SORRY IF THESE QUESTIONS OR OBSERVATIONS HAVE BEEN COVERED IN OTHER BOOKS OR ARTICLES

Respectfully..

Working Class Al

Edited by WORKING CLASS AL

Hi Al

I've started a Zodiac Killer topic many months ago, if you search the forum you will find it. The topic was never hot so feel free to add stuff to it....

1. Yes Bryan Hartnell, the young man who survived the Lake Beryessa stabbing, did some interviews just before the release of David Fincher's movie Zodiac. He did one on CNN and one for the documentary featured on the 2 disc dvd set of the movie Zodiac. He is now a very succesful lawyer and try to forget what Zodiac did to him. He still speaks to Cecelia Shepard's family.

2. yes, the SFPD did investigate some kooks cops but it's easy to see who is real and who is a fraud i guess....A lot of people are obsessed with this case, mostly very good people.

3. George Hodel have an interesting theory but most Zodiac investigator thinks that he don't deserve the attention he get by his book. But judge for yourself my friend, read some of the reviews about the book on Amazon or read the book and make your own opinion....I didn't read the book so i won't judge him, but i've read some stuff about the book and i don't think he have the answers to the Zodiac mystery.

4. I think you are right about the Boots and the Haircut. good points.

5. yeah i've read that it was maybe egyptian belif or that maybe Zodiac found that in a movie or a book. We know he was a movie buff.

6. Well some investigators think that Zodiac had a law enforcement background or that at least he was obsessed with cops, being a cop etc....maybe he read books about being a cop or maybe one of his family member was a cop, who knows?? good question Al.

Respectfully,

JVE

PS: At your Halloween party Dress Yourself as Zodiac...I mean why not ?? don't be in the closet, your name was Zodiac !! could be a funny story to tell one day....I'll do it if i was you.

Back with the topic....

A confession letter was mailed anonymously from Riverside on Nov. 29, 1966 (Tuesday) to both the Riverside Police Department and the Riverside Press-Enterprise newspaper. Some investigators believe this letter was written by the killer, others think it was a hoax.

confessionfbi.gif

By the way i'll have more details about the famous pic where we can see Cheri Jo siting in the library shortly before her murder. Tom Voigt will send me a mail with all the details about the picture.

Here's the crime scene at night:

nightscene.gif

Thanks to Tom Voigt.

• Like 1

Okay, I can tell you right now that is not a letter from the killer, remember the guy was meticulous, he would never ever in a billion years write that way, in fact that letter is probably insulting to him. Futhermore, the women did all the front stabbing...not him. So right as I read the first sentance I thought what balony.

I had posted a long thing or tried to earlier but my comp went nuts, so unfortuantly I don't remember all of what I said. I do remember that in the second picture the building on the left hand side, a few weeks prior they were having some 'drainage' issues and were calling a plumber to come in, and the plumber was working on it the time of Cheri's death, but that was just something random I got. The school was having issues with the drainge for some reason about 5 weeks prior I'd guessimate. O, and I know this is going to sound weird, but is anyone sure that a piece of her hair was cut/yanked out, because I kept on getting that a tiny bit of it was in the back of her head.

Adding: When further reading the letter, again that's not what happened in my mind, he had an accomplaince ie again female. He never once said anything to Cheri directly and never said its time for you to die, that is ridiculous. I know this sounds weird even though he did kill, I don't see him in it for 'sexual' touchings, he was not one to be into that sort of thing, he was strictly about the killing not much else again very unemotional. He would of never said her breasts felt warm...he didn't care about that.

Thanks Puri, i also think the letter was a hoax. Tom Voigt think so too....great stuff, happy to see you back in this topic....

Lol I need to met this Tom dude, I've heard his name enough times :P

O randomly I believe Cheri had a change of clothes, or she for sure changed clothes halfway through the day, not sure why.

Edited by puridalan

lol sorry, Tom Voigt is simply the best Zodiac Killer investigator right now and the first one who really investigated the Cheri Jo case....

About the clothes we don't have details about that but i'm sure you are right, she had many things to do that day. Hee's a resumé of what she did the day she was killed (Police report):

Cheri got on the phone with her friend Stephanie, seeing if she wanted to go to the RCC Library with her. Stephanie said she couldn't go, but they kept talking on the phone. After they hung up, Cheri got another call, but from whom, no one knows. They only know she was on the phone because her father tried to call her, and the line was busy. After she hung up from that call, Cheri left her house and went over to Stephanie's house. She left a note on the table for her Dad, where she always left him notes, saying she would be at the RCC Library. After a short visit with Stephanie, Cheri left for the Library. She met up with a group of friends, and they worked together. A librarian said she saw Cheri at about 9, 9:30 and she was perfectly fine.

So the death was around 9:49 pm yes?

Edit: I would say attack around 9:49 death about 10:15 completely and by then all suspects cleared.

Edited by puridalan

That's what is so weird in this case....the Riverside police homicide file said that Cheri jo was killed approximatively at 9h30 pm but Some people who lived in the near vicinity of the library heard screams, followed by a car driving away, between 10:15 and 10:45. No one who heard the screams called the police. Does that mean that Cheri jo stayed with her killer/killers for more than 30 minutes before being killed !!? we don't know....we only know she left the library at 9h30pm when the library closed.

Well I see it only lasting till 10:15 latest, after that they were certainly cleared by then, anything past that was already gone.

ok thanks for the info...I mean that case is so mysterious we don't even know when the screams were heard, so thanks for your answer...

I should add that the screams would of had to been earlier around 9:49, by 10:15 cleared. Also my reasoning for this is remember how I showedd her being knocked unconcious, the female then stabbed her, but she did not scream during those times. The only time she really could of screamed a lot was during the strangulation, then no more. The other few minutes we spent 9:56-10:12 stabbing the body so forth, by 3 other minutes they were gone.

ok, thank you very much...that's what i like about your answers, everything is clear and make a lot of sense... :tu: