Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Massive solar storm to hit Earth in 2012

Karlis

Melbourne, Aug 26 (ANI): Astronomers are predicting that a massive solar storm, much bigger in potential than the one that caused spectacular light shows on Earth earlier this month, is to strike our planet in 2012 with a force of 100 million hydrogen bombs.Similar storms back in 1859 and 1921 caused worldwide chaos, wiping out telegraph wires on a massive scale. arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• stevewinn

• Agent. Mulder

• Druidus-Logos

• xYlvax

So is there some truth to the 2012 doomsday theory?

given that this news doesn't involve evil things crawling out of the sky, mystical alignments of planets, free flying planets or reptile people ... then no, there is still no truth to the 2012 doomsday theories.

My dad talked about this. It actually frightened me, and I tried not to believe him, although I knew there was some chance of it. The news irks me. Hopefully it wont happen. :mellow:

am sure we'll all be fine. but only the other day i was watching "how the universe works" on the discovery channel and you have the resident experts #Mihcio Kaku - Michelle Thaller Amy somthing and Alex filippenko, basically the same people who can be found on the TV series the Universe. they tell of a star which is about to go supernova? sometime soon, and its Axis is possibly pointed towards earth which means earth is directly in the path of the gamma ray burst. it could be goodnight Irene. :tu:

My dad talked about this. It actually frightened me, and I tried not to believe him, although I knew there was some chance of it. The news irks me. Hopefully it wont happen. :mellow:

It needs to happen and sooner the better.

Don't be frightened.

You'll be ok, albeit you might lose your mobile phone signal or Sky Sports News for a little while.

:blush:

Don't be frightened.

You'll be ok, albeit you might lose your mobile phone signal or Sky Sports News for a little while.

along with a few other electronics. But then again it might actually help people learn what the ability of talking is too. Build up some social communication. Dang cell phones and other electronics are making this world fat, lazy, illiterate, and just plain boring. Pacifist are becoming more and more but then they complain when they don't get the help they want. Parents can't be parents because the media is delivering messages of, mommy and daddy can't hurt your because you done something bad.

Also, it would certainly help do away with these blasted GPS systems. It's called a map and a compass and a little bit of know how in order to get to where you're going. Also, walking and running would become very popular for a long time.

So is there some truth to the 2012 doomsday theory?

Not quite.

"Even if a big flare did hit us, it will not be an extinction event. Yes, satellites may be damaged, causing secondary problems such as a GPS loss (which might disrupt air traffic control for example) or national power grids may be overwhelmed by auroral electrojets, but nothing more extreme than that"

http://www.universetoday.com/14645/2012-no-killer-solar-flare/

Good article.

Don't be frightened.

ahh, it's okay, I don't have either of those :lol:

given that this news doesn't involve evil things crawling out of the sky, mystical alignments of planets, free flying planets or reptile people ... then no, there is still no truth to the 2012 doomsday theories.

thats because it's not 2012 yet :P

You can't predict these things years in advance. They are stochastic events that are somewhat predictable on a timescale of weeks.

We know the activity of the sun is due to peak in 2011-2013, but you can't predict individual solar storms during that period any more than you can predict individual blizzards 4 months from now.

This peak happens EVERY 11 years. All of these storms have yields like those presented here - 150 million kilometers away. We get the magnetic-field warping charged particles and coronal mass ejections coming our way. No destructive force to anything except long long conductors, which have the potential to overheat as currents induced by the changing magnetic fields build up.

We will be fine, but the internet and technology won't. WIN. Hopefully anyway.

Good way of restarting.

am sure we'll all be fine. but only the other day i was watching "how the universe works" on the discovery channel and you have the resident experts #Mihcio Kaku - Michelle Thaller Amy somthing and Alex filippenko, basically the same people who can be found on the TV series the Universe. they tell of a star which is about to go supernova? sometime soon, and its Axis is possibly pointed towards earth which means earth is directly in the path of the gamma ray burst. it could be goodnight Irene. :tu:

I think you mean Betelgeuse:

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/badastronomy/2010/06/01/is-betelgeuse-about-to-blow/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Betelgeuse

But I don't think you'll have to worry.

The original prediction for 2012 didn't have anything to do with what we've turned it into. It was just calender's end point.

I think Terrence McKenna claimed something about a Timewave event in 2012 coinciding by chance with the calender's end point. He claimed that novelty would reach a singularity point, where it would expand exponentially into infinity. There are different interpretations. One is that time would all collapse to a point, and the future would exist at one time, simultaneously. This could possibly occur with the creation of a time machine. You could travel to the end of time, and back again, and anywhere in-between. But not before the creation of the machine. So, effectively, all of the future from the moment of the machine's creation would be really a single time. It's fun to think about, but certainly not a good prediction, or likely.

It would fit the bill though. If the machine was built on Dec. 23rd 2012, and worked in the manner described, it would be the reality changing event that would alter our world forever, wouldn't it? Time would no longer mean the same thing to us, and we'd have to adapt to a vastly different space-time.

You can't predict these things years in advance. They are stochastic events that are somewhat predictable on a timescale of weeks.

We know the activity of the sun is due to peak in 2011-2013, but you can't predict individual solar storms during that period any more than you can predict individual blizzards 4 months from now.

This peak happens EVERY 11 years. All of these storms have yields like those presented here - 150 million kilometers away. We get the magnetic-field warping charged particles and coronal mass ejections coming our way. No destructive force to anything except long long conductors, which have the potential to overheat as currents induced by the changing magnetic fields build up.

Good point actually, cant predict the weather so it must be a biiiiig shot in the dark predicting solar activity!!!

Good point actually, cant predict the weather so it must be a biiiiig shot in the dark predicting solar activity!!!

Well, not a biiig shot in the dark TB. We do have some good ideas usually of when theyre set to occur.

I have seen scientific talking heads discuss this on a number of occasions. What I learned is that they expect the solar storm of around 2012 to be larger than usual. I didn't hear them refer to it as a catastrophic event, but they did say satellite communications could be interrupted, and there could be an increased effect on the weather.

Edited by orchidelirium

• 2 weeks later...

Dude...are you trying to freak people out? :hmm:

As for this....strangely, I'm not worried about the CURRENT topic. Usually, I'm trembling when I hear stuff like this. :sm

Edited by UFO_Monster

Dude...are you trying to freak people out? :hmm:

As for this....strangely, I'm not worried about the CURRENT topic. Usually, I'm trembling when I hear stuff like this. :sm

:yes: