Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Possible Hominid - McKenzie River, Oregon

Still Waters

According to the BFRO, a dark, long-armed figure stood up and walked away from the edge of the river as the two whitewater row boats passed by. The location of the incident, and the physical appearance of the figure, and the behavior of the figure are consistent with a sasquatch. Nothing about the figure, or the incident in general, points to a hoax or a case of mistaken identity.

The Three Sisters region of Oregon has a long history of sightings and track finds.

At first glance the figure appears to be a bit larger than the human in the rowboat, and the figure is certainly not closer to the camera than the rowboat.

The behavior of the figure is consistent with a sasquatch. Sasquatches are often spotted near creeks and rivers.

arrow3.gifRead more...

That's not far from where I live, in fact I went camping near Sisters about a month ago. Beautiful area. I've been fishing in the McKenzie river many times as well as some of the lakes in the area. I've never seen any trace of Biff there but maybe I'm just not lucky enough. ^_^

One thing that struck me as odd during the video is that neither the cameraman nor anyone in the boat with him took any notice of the 'figure'. Either they didn't see it (unlikely) or it wasn't a Bigfoot. I'm leaning toward a fellow fisher dressed in dark clothes.

Edited by Slave2Fate

There looks like something was there. But it could easily have been a human. Classified: Blobsquatch.

I do know from 1st hand experience that when you are on the river going downstream in a boat that you do not spend a lot of time watching the riverbank, you are watching the river and where you will be going next.

It did not look like these guys had a lot of passengers and the camera man was not looking for BF either, so it is very possible no one even saw this guy get up and move off.

I do know from 1st hand experience that when you are on the river going downstream in a boat that you do not spend a lot of time watching the riverbank, you are watching the river and where you will be going next.

You're probably correct there, and the boat seemed to be passing by while the figure stood up so it may not have been in their direct line of sight.

BTW, living in Portland have you been to the McKenzie river area, or near Sisters? What do you think the likelihood is of a Biff in that area? Keep in mind that it is a (relatively) high traffic recreation area with all of the hiking,camping,fishing and general outdoor type mayhem. ^_^

BTW, living in Portland have you been to the McKenzie river area, or near Sisters? What do you think the likelihood is of a Biff in that area? Keep in mind that it is a (relatively) high traffic recreation area with all of the hiking,camping,fishing and general outdoor type mayhem. ^_^

I don't get down that way very often. I have spent time in the Mount Hood National Forest on the northern end. I've been out to Timothy Lake a couple times, and each time I go it seems uninhabited compared to the suburbs. But, really, if you got on a road and waited 20 minutes someone would come by.

Personnally, I think that a human with training could live out in these National forest indefinately and not be seen. A bigfoot should not be so much different. There are several problems however, such as needing a breeding population of thousands and how would the population communicate. I think a small group of BFs certainly have a chance of remaining unconfirmed by science.

really smells like a hoax... and as grainy as the pictures are... its impossible to make any firm conclusions... :angry:

Hey fellow Oregonians :)

I drift the Elk and the Sixes , Rogue and occasionally have drifted the Chetco.....I am sorry , but yes , one of the people would have seen something like that for sure.That is part of the trip , looking at the wildlife , and anyone I know here see bear , etc. and point it out right away , " cool , bear over on the bank"....And yes , even when approaching some rapids....In a drift boat , it is not like driving a car and having tunnel vision , it is about seeing the awesome views......Not to mention , on the Rogue River in Golds Beach , you have " Jerry's jet boats"..1000 horsepower jet boats that go on 106 mile round trip rides , and these guys stop to point out all sorts of wildlife....And that is in a jetboat !....Bald Eagles , Bear , Deer , and even river otters , all for the tourists...My point , you notice these things when out there , and if jet boat pilots spot them while avoiding rocks , I gaurantee you see them in drift boats.........

I have to laugh at this sentence that was on the site....I have no idea how to make it black so we can read it though....It is a copy / paste..

The behavior of the figure is consistent with a sasquatch. Sasquatches are often spotted near creeks and rivers.

" Often spotted"????......Really?....LOL

Almost salmon run time , can't wait wooooohooooo .....Winter run that is :)

Hey fellow Oregonians :)

" Often spotted"????......Really?....LOL

Almost salmon run time , can't wait wooooohooooo .....Winter run that is :)

Hey Sakari, I had to look up Langlois because I hadn't heard of it. Apparently you live over on the coast you lucky dog. :lol:

That's OK, I live in a relatively small town on Hwy 20 west of Albany that you've probably never heard of either. Right in the middle of the Willamette valley.

In your time here in Oregon have you ever seen anything 'Biff-like' in the woods? Just wondering. :tu:

Edited by Slave2Fate

I drift the Elk and the Sixes , Rogue and occasionally have drifted the Chetco.....I am sorry , but yes , one of the people would have seen something like that for sure.That is part of the trip , looking at the wildlife , and anyone I know here see bear , etc. and point it out right away , " cool , bear over on the bank"....And yes , even when approaching some rapids....In a drift boat , it is not like driving a car and having tunnel vision , it is about seeing the awesome views......Not to mention , on the Rogue River in Golds Beach , you have " Jerry's jet boats"..1000 horsepower jet boats that go on 106 mile round trip rides , and these guys stop to point out all sorts of wildlife....And that is in a jetboat !....Bald Eagles , Bear , Deer , and even river otters , all for the tourists...My point , you notice these things when out there , and if jet boat pilots spot them while avoiding rocks , I gaurantee you see them in drift boats.........

I would point out that it looks like there was no one in the front boat other then the pilot, and it looks like there is no one in the second boat except the pilot and cameraman. Also the fact that people point out the animals means not everyone sees every animal right off. Something so large and so close should have been seen, but quite possible wasn't due to the people who could have seen it being busy.

I've been on the Medford Jetboat tour on the Rogue river, it was pretty cool. I think it was the Hell's Canyon version of the tour, not the one that goes all the way to the beach.

BF6.JPG

Edit: If you watch the video it is clear there are only 3 guys and that they are rowing and watching the river pretty much the whole time.

Edited by DieChecker

Hey Sakari, I had to look up Langlois because I hadn't heard of it. Apparently you live over on the coast you lucky dog. :lol:

That's OK, I live in a relatively small town on Hwy 20 west of Albany that you've probably never heard of either. Right in the middle of the Willamette valley.

In your time here in Oregon have you ever seen anything 'Biff-like' in the woods? Just wondering. :tu:

I have only been here 2 years , my parents though , 26 years ,and my older sister , 27 years.I came up every year to hunt and fish....I have never once seen anything even close , nor heard anything...I am on 34 acres ( leasing un-fortunatley) and have been putting up a trail cam and posting pics on this forum , check out my thread :) ..I work with 17 guys who have lived here their entire life , 5-6 of them second generation loggers , and all of them hunt religiously.They all laugh about the " bigfoot" stories....These are guys who go out all over in the woods and camp out with back packs , and their families have also.

My sister , she went to the Oregon Caves in May of 2000 ( this is important) , and she was walking her dog up to " Big Tree"?....No one else was around.She heard some very strange noises , loud breathing and something she can not describe.She was worried a bit , and had no clue what it could have been.She does know bear , Elk , etc. all of the "native" species of Oregon , she hikes and walks her dogs every where...She will not say she may have been around a "Bif" , but she does say she has no idea what it was , and she got out of there...She swears it was nothing she has ever heard , and the "feeling" she had was not a good one.....Funny though , her dog had no reaction......Even funnier , when she told me this , I searched on the internet and found this ( I was living in Nevada at the time) :

Oregon Caves Bigfoot

Myself , no way "they" exist , never have if you ask me....I hunt and fish myself....As for my sister , she laughs , but she also will not say what she thinks it was.....

Edited by Sakari

Here is a telling fact from the comments on the OP link.

I grew up in this area. That part of the river is called Fishladder Rapids and there is a somewhat busy state highway which follows the river along this portion.

If there is a highway there, most likely it is just a fisherman.

I have only been here 2 years , my parents though , 26 years ,and my older sister , 27 years.I came up every year to hunt and fish....I have never once seen anything even close , nor heard anything...I am on 34 acres ( leasing un-fortunatley) and have been putting up a trail cam and posting pics on this forum , check out my thread :) ..I work with 17 guys who have lived here their entire life , 5-6 of them second generation loggers , and all of them hunt religiously.They all laugh about the " bigfoot" stories....These are guys who go out all over in the woods and camp out with back packs , and their families have also.

My sister , she went to the Oregon Caves in May of 2000 ( this is important) , and she was walking her dog up to " Big Tree"?....No one else was around.She heard some very strange noises , loud breathing and something she can not describe.She was worried a bit , and had no clue what it could have been.She does know bear , Elk , etc. all of the "native" species of Oregon , she hikes and walks her dogs every where...She will not say she may have been around a "Bif" , but she does say she has no idea what it was , and she got out of there...She swears it was nothing she has ever heard , and the "feeling" she had was not a good one.....Funny though , her dog had no reaction......Even funnier , when she told me this , I searched on the internet and found this ( I was living in Nevada at the time) :

Oregon Caves Bigfoot

Myself , no way "they" exist , never have if you ask me....I hunt and fish myself....As for my sister , she laughs , but she also will not say what she thinks it was.....

Yeah, I look in on your trail-cam thread every time there's a new post. Good stuff and great idea for a thread. :tu:

As far as the 'local's' view on Biff I get the same reaction when I ask about it (I'm a local too and my reaction is similar when people ask me). I ask hunters and loggers as well since they seem to be out in the woods more often than the average bear (in some cases no pun intended ^_^ ). I've grown up and lived in Oregon most of my life, been all over the state hiking, camping, fishing, hunting, you name it. I've never seen anything 'Biff-like' either. I've had a few strange encounters before but nothing of a bulky primate nature. :tu:

Edited by Slave2Fate

Here is a telling fact from the comments on the OP link.

If there is a highway there, most likely it is just a fisherman.

Yeah, the McKenzie Hwy, it goes from Sisters (scratch that, it actually starts at a junction a little ways west of Sisters) to Springfield/Eugene and follow right along the McKenzie river.

Edited by Slave2Fate

Mckenzie River Bigfoot Analysis: No Bigfoot Here

So I’ve taken the liberty on doing some analysis of the ‘Mckenzie River Bigfoot’ footage. I started by slowing the video down by 15% and cropping and zooming in on the supposed mysterious creature. I have to say that the outcome isn’t surprising.

Matt Moneymaker from the BFRO had this to say:

This YouTube video shot in 2008 briefly shows what may be a sasquatch in central Oregon, on the McKenzie River. At this stage it is just a “figure of interest”.A dark, long-armed figure stood up and walked away from the edge of the river as the two whitewater row boats passed by. The cameraman was shooting a YouTube installment for a fly fisherman’s blog site.

I must admit that when I first saw the video, I saw the same thing. A long-armed figure that looks bipedal and seemed to follow a path opposite to those whitewater row boats. Not getting my hopes up, I wanted to investigate this a little further. In all my years as a paranormal/crypto writer for GhostTheory, I’ve learned one thing: Be open-minded, but not too open-minded that my brains fall out.

Needless to say, I knew that there was something odd about that “long arm” of the supposed Mckenzie River creature. I’ve seen this effect before. In a post titled “Stick Alien Videos: Nothing But Sticks” we can see the same type of visual phenomena that is present in the Mckenzie River Bigfoot video: A background object (large rock, tree stump), a foreground object (plant/tree) and a moving camera man.

In the video clip that I edited, you can closely see what I mean. Pay extra attention between seconds :20 through :25. You see a large plant/tree in the foreground that blocks part of the dark object in the background. Creating a pareidolia effect. This effect makes the background object appear that it has a long arm. When you closely examined the zoomed in and slowed footage, it is clear that we are dealing with a large rock or tree stump.

I must say that I’m not surprised of the outcome. I’ve seen plenty of “Blobsquatch” videos throughout the years and they’ve all been extremely poor as far as evidence is concerned. Nevertheless, all of us in the vast field of the paranormal/crypto remain optimistic and we’re always looking on for great anticipation for that next video evidence that can only rival the “Patterson-Gimlin” footage.

Source

• Like 1

Looks human to me. Upper torso looks to thin for a BF and the arms look human length. I'd say it's someone fishing or just hiking. The filming does look natural though, so I don't think it's a hoax.

Looks human to me. Upper torso looks to thin for a BF and the arms look human length. I'd say it's someone fishing or just hiking. The filming does look natural though, so I don't think it's a hoax.

i dont quite understand how you dont think its a hoax when they are clearly saying "possible hominid"...? ...not to mention the idea behind this report is that it is in fact "non-human" by the banks of the river. IMO, its most def a hoax

So I’ve taken the liberty on doing some analysis of the ‘Mckenzie River Bigfoot’ footage. I started by slowing the video down by 15% and cropping and zooming in on the supposed mysterious creature. I have to say that the outcome isn’t surprising.

I must admit that when I first saw the video, I saw the same thing. A long-armed figure that looks bipedal and seemed to follow a path opposite to those whitewater row boats. Not getting my hopes up, I wanted to investigate this a little further. In all my years as a paranormal/crypto writer for GhostTheory, I’ve learned one thing: Be open-minded, but not too open-minded that my brains fall out.

Needless to say, I knew that there was something odd about that “long arm” of the supposed Mckenzie River creature. I’ve seen this effect before. In a post titled “Stick Alien Videos: Nothing But Sticks” we can see the same type of visual phenomena that is present in the Mckenzie River Bigfoot video: A background object (large rock, tree stump), a foreground object (plant/tree) and a moving camera man.

In the video clip that I edited, you can closely see what I mean. Pay extra attention between seconds :20 through :25. You see a large plant/tree in the foreground that blocks part of the dark object in the background. Creating a pareidolia effect. This effect makes the background object appear that it has a long arm. When you closely examined the zoomed in and slowed footage, it is clear that we are dealing with a large rock or tree stump.

I must say that I’m not surprised of the outcome. I’ve seen plenty of “Blobsquatch” videos throughout the years and they’ve all been extremely poor as far as evidence is concerned. Nevertheless, all of us in the vast field of the paranormal/crypto remain optimistic and we’re always looking on for great anticipation for that next video evidence that can only rival the “Patterson-Gimlin” footage.

Source

Good work Ohelemapit, it isn't the first time bigfoot turned out to be a blurry stump, rock, or tree, and I'm sure it wont be the last.

So I've taken the liberty on doing some analysis of the 'Mckenzie River Bigfoot' footage. I started by slowing the video down by 15% and cropping and zooming in on the supposed mysterious creature. I have to say that the outcome isn't surprising.

I must admit that when I first saw the video, I saw the same thing. A long-armed figure that looks bipedal and seemed to follow a path opposite to those whitewater row boats. Not getting my hopes up, I wanted to investigate this a little further. In all my years as a paranormal/crypto writer for GhostTheory, I've learned one thing: Be open-minded, but not too open-minded that my brains fall out.

Needless to say, I knew that there was something odd about that "long arm" of the supposed Mckenzie River creature. I've seen this effect before. In a post titled "Stick Alien Videos: Nothing But Sticks" we can see the same type of visual phenomena that is present in the Mckenzie River Bigfoot video: A background object (large rock, tree stump), a foreground object (plant/tree) and a moving camera man.

I must say that I'm not surprised of the outcome. I've seen plenty of "Blobsquatch" videos throughout the years and they've all been extremely poor as far as evidence is concerned. Nevertheless, all of us in the vast field of the paranormal/crypto remain optimistic and we're always looking on for great anticipation for that next video evidence that can only rival the "Patterson-Gimlin" footage.

Source

Bravo !!!! thumbsup.gifclap.gifnotworthy.gif

makes sense why they didnt see the "Stump" while on the raft... great job and thanks

Thanks Ohelemapit, being familiar with the area myself I would have to concur with the assesment provided in that link. :tu:

i dont quite understand how you dont think its a hoax when they are clearly saying "possible hominid"...? ...not to mention the idea behind this report is that it is in fact "non-human" by the banks of the river. IMO, its most def a hoax

I would think that most would define this a hoax if they thought they intentionally had dressed a guy in gorilla suit, shot a video of him and then claimed it to be bigfoot. This is not the case here it seems, the "hoax" you refer to as I understand it is that some interpret this video as possible evidence for BF. I would call that a misinterpretation of the video if I didn't believe it was BF, not a hoax.

Zam

Watching the OP video at about 1:38 that "stump" seems to stand up, turn and walk towards the woods.

It's a magic stump!