Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

"Dexter" Doll Sold at Toys R' US

H.H. Holmes

I just saw this on my main browser page and I felt like it was an interesting, albeit minor, piece of news. A "Dexter" doll, based off the hit Showtime series, is being sold at Toys R' US as a top-shelf collectible item. The doll features Dexter in full dismemberment-related regalia, such as a welder's mask, saw, and bloody gloves. I find the action figure rather humorous, but the party-poopers say that such a violent toy should not be sold at a major toy retailer. What do you guys think?

I found this quote indicative of my feelings towards the selling of this figurine:

"I don't see a difference in the Dexter toy and G.I. Joe figures of old that I loved as a child," said Eric Gein, owner of Serial Killers Ink, one of the top-selling murderabilia outlets on the Internet.

"I used those G.I. Joe figures to massacre many imaginary enemies," Gein told AOL News. "I didn't grow up and join the military [then] invade and destroy helpless Third World countries for oil. I seriously doubt a Dexter figure will cause anyone to go out and become a serial killer. People need to lighten up."

My link

Edited by H.H. Holmes

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• H.H. Holmes

• DexterMorgan

• Funky Poacher

• ~TheBigK~

As soon as I read the title I imediately sided with the opposition thinking "WTF really a Dexter doll??" After I read the entire article though I became a bit mixed, I still feel that they shouldn't have a Dexter doll in a kid's toy shop. The biggest point that caused me to rethink my position were all the other dolls that involved murder and killing. After all if they were ok then Dexter is ok. The difference I see between Dexter and GI joe toys is that the Joes aren't killing people individually, and also aren't torturing them. Also Dexter just feels more realistic and seems more likely to happen. Also Dexter isn't something kids are watching so I don't really see why Toys R us is selling them, if its just for collectors stick it in the back and have it avalaible upon request or something like that. But if they do that, then it will be a double standard and we'll have no end to what is too much for children to handle. Personally I'd rather they be put somewhere else, but they should probably be left where they are because if it changes then people will want far less serious things to be changed too.

-Trix

As soon as I read the title I imediately sided with the opposition thinking "WTF really a Dexter doll??" After I read the entire article though I became a bit mixed, I still feel that they shouldn't have a Dexter doll in a kid's toy shop. The biggest point that caused me to rethink my position were all the other dolls that involved murder and killing. After all if they were ok then Dexter is ok. The difference I see between Dexter and GI joe toys is that the Joes aren't killing people individually, and also aren't torturing them. Also Dexter just feels more realistic and seems more likely to happen. Also Dexter isn't something kids are watching so I don't really see why Toys R us is selling them, if its just for collectors stick it in the back and have it avalaible upon request or something like that. But if they do that, then it will be a double standard and we'll have no end to what is too much for children to handle. Personally I'd rather they be put somewhere else, but they should probably be left where they are because if it changes then people will want far less serious things to be changed too.

-Trix

Thanks, I was of that opinion, too, when I first saw the headline. I felt different when it explained that it was a top-shelf collector's item and not in full view of the children. I think that it does qualify as a "toy" in the traditional sense of the word, just more gruesome than most. The only difference between the "Dexter" doll and the numerous other action figures of a military or violent nature is that the latter are more covert about their violence. I think back when I was a kid, playing with my G.I. Joes and having battles with them. Sure, the dolls didn't actually have blood or detachable limbs or anything of that nature, but my imagination made up for all of that.

If we have to have those bloody Twilight dolls on the shelf, we can have Dexter. I mean, what do we want to promote? Blatant stalking, or vigilante justice? I guess that's a whole other can of worms.

If we have to have those bloody Twilight dolls on the shelf, we can have Dexter. I mean, what do we want to promote? Blatant stalking, or vigilante justice? I guess that's a whole other can of worms.

I wonder if the "Twilight" dolls "glitter" in sunlight. LOL.

Dexter doll mean?..Bloody?....

How bout....

Alien

Predator

Terminator

The Crow

the " Hell Raiser" dolls

I know I am missing many of them.......

Oh , Barney... thumbsup.gif

Edited by Sakari

How bout....

Alien

Predator

Terminator

The Crow

the " Hell Raiser" dolls

Exactly. BTW, how do you get your hands on the "Hellraiser" dolls, those sound awesome. Especially, if they have the "teeth" dude, you know what I'm talking about.

Exactly. BTW, how do you get your hands on the "Hellraiser" dolls, those sound awesome. Especially, if they have the "teeth" dude, you know what I'm talking about.

Right here for one thumbsup.gif

Hellraiser action figures

Well said :yes:

How bout....

Alien

Predator

Terminator

The Crow

the " Hell Raiser" dolls

And yeah, I don't think a Dexter doll should be any more shocking than those.

The difference I see between Dexter and GI joe toys is that the Joes aren't killing people individually, and also aren't torturing them.

Then you didn't play with them right! :lol:

The Dexter doll isn't really any worse than any other doll out there.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

First of all I want to know what kind of parent with doll playing aged children allows their kids to watch Dexter! Second, what kind of parent buys their kids a doll fashioned after a serial killer?!

Don't get me wrong, I like the show Dexter... it's interesting, but it's for adults, not kids. There's a reason it's on late at night, on cable, and rated R.

This is a 'toy' that's made for adults really, collectors more specifically. It's probably better suited to be sold through venues other than ToysRUs. Of course, I hate ToysRUs anyway... it's just an ENORMOUS box store selling TV memorabillia and not much more. I went in there about 4 years ago looking for something for my little niece and couldn't find anything I'd feel ok about her playing with. I walked out empty handed and haven't been back since. I opt to spend my money at locally owned toy stores that carry high quality american or european made toys. This was the last toy I bought... is he cute or what? (and ya, he's as soft and huggable as he looks. LOL)

41BBKBB6S5L.jpg

America's favorite serial killer. (Tv show) if you don't know the topic, don't join in.

Well, you must be new.

The doll of me is highly collectible- buy it over the Internet ;)

Even me, has a doll of me, to my own amusement; they are over- reacting.

Shouldn't you be going to work doing your blood spatter analysis? Or cleaning the streets of murderers?

Shouldn't you be going to work doing your blood spatter analysis? Or cleaning the streets of murderers?

*sigh* I guess so..

I want one!!!devil.gif Does the Dexter come with surgical grade accessories? innocent.gif

Who the hell is Dexter?

It's an amazing drama about a blood pattern analyst (sp?) who's mentally

scarred by seeing his mother killed as a kid. So metally scarred that

when his father (police officer) starts seeing him have sadistical dendancies

(as a teen) that he channels his need to kill into a need to kill

bad people (rapists, serial killers, ect).

You should check it out over the internet if you don't have it

where you live.

I found the last season rather tedious. I couldn't get myself to watch it at all.