Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Swarming spacecraft to self-destruct for

Still Waters

Posted (IP: Staff) ·
Future space probes that operate in cooperative swarms must commit hara-kiri if they begin to fail and risk damaging their comrades, says a recent patent application by NASA.

The agency foresees a day when space missions are undertaken not by one large spacecraft but by swarming formations of much smaller, cheaper ones.Such craft could collectively provide a "floating optics" system for a space telescope comprising separate craft flying in formation, for instance.

However, should one spacecraft in such a swarm begin to fail and risk a calamitous collision with another, it must sense its end is nigh and put itself on a course that takes it forever away from the swarm – for the greater good of the collective.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Still Waters

• a vampire wears my boxers

• Salami Swami

• Herebedragons

Presumably then, there would be some way for the crew (if any) to escape and to be rescued, and for the remaining craft to avoid collision with the wreckage . . .

very interesting. it makes sense for them to operate that way.

Edited by a vampire wears my boxers

Presumably then, there would be some way for the crew (if any) to escape and to be rescued, and for the remaining craft to avoid collision with the wreckage . . .

Uhm... I think the whole idea behind this is that the vehicles are autonomous, 'cuz really, if you think about it for a bit longer than a nanosecond, why would a vehicle with a crew need to be able to "sense its end is nigh and put itself on a course that takes it forever away from the swarm"...?

Cz

• 4 weeks later...

Suicidal drones. Interesting.

I can't help but see some Darwinistic metaphor in that.

LOL.

"Oh, brave new world!"