Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Slop buckets reprieve for fear of fly tipping

Still Waters

Households will no longer have to install slop buckets in every kitchen after a Government report warned that forcing people to separate food waste could lead to an increase in fly tipping.

Ministers had planned to ban certain materials going to landfill, like food, paper and metals, in order to meet strict EU targets.

However a year-long consultation has warned that it would be “impossible” to force households to start collecting food waste separately without putting up council tax and being seen as the “bin police”. There were also fears people will just dump waste on the side of the road if they cannot put it in black bin bags. Campaigners were concerned about slop buckets attracting vermin.

The consultation also found there are not enough incinerators or anaerobic digesters to turn food waste into energy because of difficulty with planning permission or “nimbyism” and a lack of funding. And there is not enough farmland suitable for spreading food waste at the moment once it has been processed.

Forcing councils not to put certain materials in landfill could mean that paper and plastic is just dumped in developing countries like China, rather than being recycled.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Still Waters

• schizoidwoman

• Druidus-Logos

Top Posters In This Topic

I quite like the idea of a worm bin for my food waste, I've been toying with it for a bit now.