Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Scared about the paranormal

wardrich

How'd we get so off topic anyway? Ghosts to gun control is not a normal conversational leap.. laugh.gif

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• wardrich

• hunterkiller2001

• BurnSide

• xanubia

But he's right..

Theres dozens of cases a month across america of people loosing it, and killing whole families, or kidnapping children by breaking in thier house and stealing them..

So the slim chance of accidentally shooting your child, or your wife is worth the chance that something could happen, and your powerless to stop it?

If you read by little disclaimer, I warned you can't shoot a ghost.. but I also recommended less than lethal ammunition.

Falco.. I fear I'm guilty.. i suggested he get a gun if he's paranoid about bumps in the night..

Because it's true..

Automatic & Burst weapons are illegal to own in the US..

Yet 68 robberies (bank and armored car) were commited with them last year.

The right to own guns has twisted from the "defend your country" notion of the past, to a self defense state of mind.

Did you know nearly 40% of all registered handgun owners are women?

I don't care how good you are with a blade, or with your hands (no offense hun)..

If someone pulls out a gun with the intent to rape you.. You don't pull out pepper spray.. You pull out a Subcompact Glock 30 loaded with .45 ACP hollowpoints.

Or a big, sharp sword. thumbsup.gif

EDIT!!!!!!

BTW.. canada had almost 314,000 violent crimes in 2002.. (based on a population of 32,507,874) population source Stat source and thats not counting robbery..

Crimes of Violence:

US: 464.6/100,000 people source

Canada: 965.5/100,000 people.. Source

Property Crimes (theft, B&E, GTA.. etc)

US: 3,624.1/100,000 people

Canada: 3,959.8/100,000 people

(same sources)

All for the year 2002

You may kill each other less.. but statistically.. your more violent.. whistling2.gif

So yes burnside.. something is seriously wrong.. cause I'm gonna dive into the criminal mind here and say... it's because our people have guns.. and will fight back if the crap hits the fan.. tongue.giftongue.giftongue.giftongue.giftongue.giftongue.giftongue.giftongue.gif

just like the concelled weapons law in missouri is a crock i think it is wrong

I have a concealed weapons permit as well.. It's not a Crock..

Imagine this..

2 years ago, after turning 21, and getting a pistol permit, someone is walking down the street visiting various shops.

They go into a sporting goods store, and find theres something they want.. but they don't accept credit cards. They run over to the bank down the street.. But as they approch the bank, they hear an alarm. A guy runs out.

He runs out to meet a S&W .357.. No shots fired.. the gun pointing at him was enough to deter his aggression.

robbery prevented, because one GOOD citizen had a concealed weapons permit.

The above scenario wasn't me.. but I do know the guy.

Allowing citizens to carry a concealed weapon isn't a bad thing. Imagine the classic "Guns for self defense" scenario..

A woman is walking home at night.. and a man grabs her and drags her into an alley.

She pulls a gun, and points it at him.. 7/10 times the person will cease the attack, and run. Or, He'll get p***ed and try to get the gun.. and she shoots him.

In the worst case the Bad guy is wounded or dead, and the innocent person isunharmed.

2) Violent b******* comming up here from the US with there retarded nonsense violence. 

im sorry but i dont think you have the right to generalize like that.

sorry about the misunderstanding there. I didn't mean ALL americans were violent b*******... I was referring to the violent AMW / insane (already) violent Americans.

-Richard-

EVP still freaks me out a wee bit,

what is this EVP. i have never heard of it

EVP = Electronic Voice Phenomena. The theory states that you take a microphone and a tape recorder. Hit record, start asking questions... when you're done, play the tape and listen for odd ghost voices. There are a few good sites on the net about it.

-Richard-

ALSO... you can click on the AUDIO/VIDEO link on the unexplained-mysteries forum (yep... that's this one). And listen to some EVP recordings.

-Richard-

Edited by wardrich

You said you were over 18.. so I'll make my suggestion..

Don't you have to be 25 to own a gun?

Edited by xanubia

I have a concealed weapons permit as well.. It's not a Crock..

Imagine this..

robbery prevented, because one GOOD citizen had a concealed weapons permit.

Allowing citizens to carry a concealed weapon isn't a bad thing. Imagine the classic "Guns for self defense" scenario..

A woman is walking home at night.. and a man grabs her and drags her into an alley.

She pulls a gun, and points it at him.. 7/10 times the person will cease the attack, and run. Or, He'll get p***ed and try to get the gun.. and she shoots him.

Guns should be as restricted as possible. So many children hurt themselves playing with guns, and serious accidents can happen. Sure you'll say, keep the guns away from the kid, but once a kid gets curious about something, it'll be hard to keep him/her from looking for it to "look" at. I think they do more harm than good. The chances of a serious accident happening far out weigh the chances of preventing a robbery or a mugging.

seriously wrong cause we have 85% less gun-related crimes here.

Of course Canadian Bacon and Molsons related crime is 85% higher than in the US.

It's a trade off...

That is why we have banned canadian bacon in the US, too many injuries...we just have good old ham now.

Fluffy "You can take my canadian bacon when you pry it from my cold dead fingers" Bunny.

I thought it was because Canadian bacon hates freedom?

So it was renamed to freedom bacon.

So it was renamed to freedom bacon.

Guns don't cause crime, Canadian Bacon does...

Everybody knows that. rolleyes.gif

Only internally.

a few Canadian Donuts to wash down that bacon is always good... and if it dries your throat, just have a few bottles of Canadian Beer wink2.gif

-Richard-

Don't you have to be 25 to own a gun?

Nope, legally (at least in New York) you must be 16 to own a rifle or shotgun (18 years old to buy the gun, 16 to own it.. 16 to buy ammo) , and 21 to own a pistol. You must be 21 to apply for a conceled weapons permit.

(Note: By New york state law, you may carry ANY legal weapon, anywhere if it's not concealed. Example: It's Legal for me to carry a AR15 down the middle of times square as long as it's in clear view of the public. Any Person may carry a concealed knife with a blade of under four inches, and maximum length no greater then 10".. again.. if it's in clear view, a 16 year old can carry a katana through central park)

Guns should be as restricted as possible. So many children hurt themselves playing with guns, and serious accidents can happen. Sure you'll say, keep the guns away from the kid, but once a kid gets curious about something, it'll be hard to keep him/her from looking for it to "look" at. I think they do more harm than good.

Not true.. Children should be taught as young as possible what a gun is, what it does, and that whatever is on the "business" end dies.. no questions asked.

Another bad example.. "toy guns" This is the worst thing you could ever buy a child for the simple reason that it teaches kids guns are "fun" and that they are toys..

Example #1: a 10 year old kid picks up a gun, and shoots his friend.. why?! because he was never taught that guns were dangerous.. He was taught they were toys to (play) shoot friends with, and that once everything was over the friend was fine..

Example #2: My two sisters and I grew up around guns.. (I'm 22, sis 1 is 19, sis 2 is 5) They're in clear view at any given moment.. I can't remember my dad Never wearing his .357 in a shoulder holster when I was little. Hell, I can't think of him not carrying a .45 with him now.. I fired my first gun at 6, I "had" my first REAL gun when I was 10 (had a BB gun at 7) , and I started hunting when I was 12 (which was, and I believe still is NY law, that a Child can start hunting at 12)

We knew what guns did.. we know if you touch the gun one of 2 things would happen: #1 You'd really hurt yourself.. #2 you'd kill someone you love...

It's not the childs fault when a 10 year old kills another kid.. It's the parents for assuming "I can put this gun in my drawer, and all will be fine" Mean while, never even telling the kids what a gun is, and more importantly how dangerous it can be to **** with it..

Children should be taught the difference between a toy gun and a real one.

I think it's perfectly all right for them to have a toy storm-trooper rifle, nerf gun or water gun- Toy guns aren't allowed to be made to look anything like realy guns anymore and I think a kid will know the differnce- they aren't that clueless.

The reason there are accidents is because they are curious, that is that. If a person is going to own a gun and have a child in the same house or visiting, they need to tell that kid what a gun can do. And if telling them doesn't have a good enough impact, show them. Take them to a rifle range, show them what it's for, safety factors- and the only reason for using a gun: for protection.

I think the majority of kids today know that the "bad guy" shoots the gun to harm, and the "good guys" shoots it to save.

Imagine the classic "Guns for self defense" scenario..

In the worst case the Bad guy is wounded or dead, and the innocent person isunharmed.

I _hate_ this scenario, and for the life of me and can't see why it's so often used. I can't see it playing out the way people seem to want to think it will.

If a man's managed to grab a woman and drag her into an alley, more often than not, it's already too late -- especially if the attacker is experienced, as sadly, most attackers are. By the time they've made it to the alley, he's likely got an arm clamped around her upper body, pinning her arms to her chest or sides so that she cannot fight him off. It's a little difficult to play GI Jane, pull a gun and save yourself when you're immobilized. And even if your hands are free, re-action to action is usually speedier than initial action is. And in such a situation, not every woman's going to have it together enough to go for her gun, free, focus and fire it.

Correction hunterkiller2001: in the worst case scenario, the WOMAN is injured or the WOMAN ends up dead.

FWIW, if an ARMED is in a frame of mind that she's so unaware of her surroundings and so unaware that the fact a threat to her person was posed, I doubt she's in a frame of mind where she's going to be able to pull her weapon and escape unscathed. Predators go after women who look VULNERABLE. If you look vulnerable, you ARE vulnerable, regardless of whatever weapon you might have concealed.

Anyone want to argue this in a formal debate?

Confrontation is the best medicine .

I agree that confrontation is the best medicine. Treat the thing you fear the way you should treat a person you fear. Don't show your fear and answer back! Tell "the thing" and in a loud voice, something like : "Listen! I've had just about enough of you! If you have a problem show me how I can help. If not, get the Hell out of here and don't come back!" If you think it has come back, keep up the treatment and step it up as well. It always works. Good luck!

Lonecat. wink2.gif

QUOTE (Xenojjin @ Jul 22 2004, 05:01 AM)

Confrontation is the best medicine .

I agree that confrontation is the best medicine. Treat the thing you fear the way you should treat a person you fear. Don't show your fear and answer back! Tell "the thing" and in a loud voice, something like : "Listen! I've had just about enough of you! If you have a problem show me how I can help. If not, get the Hell out of here and don't come back!" If you think it has come back, keep up the treatment and step it up as well. It always works. Good luck!

Lonecat.

P.s. I posted this reply and for some reason it went onto the end of a discussion about weapons. I was referring to fear of the paranormal.

Try to imagine the ghost/goblin or whatever doing something mundane or embarrassing like taking a crap or washing his underwear. Well it's supposed to work with people who make you nervous so why not entities.

spend a night outside without any lights on . Confrontation is the best medicine .

If you cant get yourself to do that - you can either see a shrink ( I dont recomend you see a shrink ) or just confront your fears anyway .

no please don't do that, they'll just lock you up and class you as a loonie toon wacko.gif

( First post here)

These were both very interesting discussions, the ' fear ' and the firearms one which also cropped up.

I worked, back when, in a building that was definitely haunted, footsteps, opening and closing doors etc, and used to work overtime on Sundays, often alone, which I hated, stuck on the second floor in a dark camera room. I came back from lunch one day to find the atmosphere more ' watchful ' and horrible than normal and I began to get more and more wound up by it. However, I had had a raging teenage argument prior to coming to work and was in an ' intolerant ' mood, disgust.gif bear in mind that I also get ' spooked ' fairly easily.

In the camera room, I truly felt like something was watching me from the darkness and getting a kick out of my fears and I suddenly snapped. I swore and screamed something along the lines of ' ...and don't think you can bloody well make me feel more p****d off with life than I already am! Clear off! ' Or words to that effect, inserting obscenities of your choice and carrying on a lot longer, I ranted and raved and moaned about my life for about ten minutes anyway.

My outburst obviously had a good effect on me, mentally, anyway, as the atmosphere suddenly seemed a whole lot less menacing and I was no longer afraid, just very calm, and worked the rest of the three hours humming under my breath.

Firearms....I have never seen a real one in life, it just occured to me.