Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mysterious scarring on my back

Agent K

Sighs wearily.. What better place to get a medical diagnosis than an Internet forum - after all, what would a doctor know....

• Like 2

About a year ago I went to get in the shower and noticed three (one of them is broken in the middle) long, deep into the skin, horizontal scars in the middle my back. They were bright pink then, but are now purple. Then my mother and doctor said it looked like someone had burned me or wiped me. My doctor was unsure, but unconcerned.

I have been trying to do some research on this on my own today. So before you all say what you think might have caused it, let me explain why that can’t be.

I have NOT had any sudden growth spurts so they are NOT stretch marks, although they have a similar appearance of them. I weigh about 100 pounds steadily, give or take a pound or two, for the past three years, and I have never weighed one pound over 105 so it is not brought on by sudden weight gain or lose. I am not anorexic. I eat every meal. I am 5’8 now, one inch taller then last year and only two inches taller then the year before. (5’8 = 17, 5’7 = 16, 5’6 = 15, 5’4 = 14) No sudden growth spurt...

I have great posture. I walk with my shoulders back and head up high, and when I sit on a chair with no back, my back is straight.

Also, about a year before the scars appeared I had a strange back pain that came on with nothing happening that could have brought it on(such as vigorous activity or weight lifting). The pain was so sever that I could stand no pressure(not even a sheet) on my back. My back was not red, although it looked a little swollen. Anything touching my back would send my crying and trying to get away. The ER just gave me heavy duty pain meds and the only way the pain went away was after my mom got some church group to pray over it… Even though the scars appeared nine month later, could sever back pain somehow cause it?

The scars have been here about a year so I decided to take the question a bit farther. So here it is. All answers welcome as long as the are serious and your approach to the cause is medical or spiritual.

P.S. I've never had a ghost experience or woke up sweating. I rarely dream and don't have a history of sleep walking, and if I did, the slightest sounds wakes my mother up so she would know. Also Spiritual answers are optional if you haven't a logical one.

Have your physician do a complete blood screen from pituitary, thyroid, Cushings disease and diabetes etc. Striae can be caused by growth spurts and other medical conditions. At least it can rule out some diseases. Also ask about your cortisone levels particularly if you take asthma medicine or use cortisone creams etc. Good luck.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
On 19 October 2015 at 4:50 AM, Kaydenb3 said:

To the people who say this is bull****. I've also had the random scarring on my back over the last month or so http://imgur.com/HKo9Lot

Here is a photo. If someone could tell he where it's stretch marks or not, that would be great

I have pretty much the same scaring on my back but it's on the upper back and some on the backs of my arm I think I've had them for 1 to 2 years now I haven't seen a doctor I'm 13 now 14 this Augest I'm 5'8 I don't know how the hell I got them and on some of them I can feel it dented into me they are a dark red/purpul like described in the main post on this but I have a lot of them covering my entire upper back I will try to get a picture of it onto this to see what you think they are (I just watched a thing about aliens and I'm pretty superstitious about it)    

3 hours ago, DerpDerpXD said:

I have pretty much the same scaring on my back but it's on the upper back and some on the backs of my arm I think I've had them for 1 to 2 years now I haven't seen a doctor I'm 13 now 14 this Augest I'm 5'8 I don't know how the hell I got them and on some of them I can feel it dented into me they are a dark red/purpul like described in the main post on this but I have a lot of them covering my entire upper back I will try to get a picture of it onto this to see what you think they are (I just watched a thing about aliens and I'm pretty superstitious about it)    

It's probably stretch marks. Have you had a growth spurt or gained weight? My daughter who is 15 has recently been diagnosed with hypothyroidism which has caused rapid weight gain and she has stretch marks as a result.  

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 10/19/2015 at 4:50 AM, Kaydenb3 said:

To the people who say this is bull****. I've also had the random scarring on my back over the last month or so http://imgur.com/HKo9Lot

Here is a photo. If someone could tell he where it's stretch marks or not, that would be great

hey, i have the exact same markings on my back. do you still have these? and do you know what they're from? 

Well, Jai Moon... just like DerpDerpXD, Adprince, Swey, Kaydenb3, Hoogie, Adriannaaulakh, Austingiannini and Thrax, make sure you haven't been to a doctor, don't post any evidence, only do the one seagull post (leave a 'deposit' and fly off never to be seen again)...  and forgive us for thinking you might all be the same person/troll.

Of course if you come back in order to post a picture and also giving us the doctor's diagnosis (ask her/him to write it out for you) will alleviate that suspicion and elicit an apology...

3 hours ago, Jai Moon said:

hey, i have the exact same markings on my back. do you still have these? and do you know what they're from? 

They are stretch marks.

• during pregnancy
  • after rapid weight gain
  • during puberty
  • if you have a family history of stretch marks
  • if you have an underlying health condition or a syndrome, such as Cushing's syndrome or Marfan syndrome
  • after the prolonged or inappropriate use of corticosteroid medication  

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Stretch-marks/Pages/Introduction.aspx

• Like 1

before we jump to spiritual or supernatural answer can we first identify and rule our scientific possibilities? It would be a disservice to the solution finding for this problem if we don't like at the facts first.

• Like 2

My brother actully gets strange horizontal marks across his back which look like whip marks. They aren't painful, they arent scars but they are just mysterious marks which must be caused to his posture, clothes or bed.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hey there. I made an account on this site just to post this. One summer I had four scars on my back randomly appear. Two weeks before I noticed them my friend drew a dragon on my back & took a picture & the scars weren't there. But two weeks after they were normal, skin colored scars.  I feel like they've moved around a bit. I'm pretty tall & I've maintained the same weight since high school but when I got pregnant a couple years ago I got some stretch marks on my lower back that look nothing like the scars. I can't believe so many other people have had the same thing happen to them! I don't exactly believe in anything spiritual or aliens but I would love an explanation! 

1 hour ago, Tana03 said:

Hey there. I made an account on this site just to post this. One summer I had four scars on my back randomly appear. Two weeks before I noticed them my friend drew a dragon on my back & took a picture & the scars weren't there. But two weeks after they were normal, skin colored scars.  I feel like they've moved around a bit. I'm pretty tall & I've maintained the same weight since high school but when I got pregnant a couple years ago I got some stretch marks on my lower back that look nothing like the scars. I can't believe so many other people have had the same thing happen to them! I don't exactly believe in anything spiritual or aliens but I would love an explanation! 

Welcome to UM.  Before us anonymous experts offer opinions, what did your doctor say?  There are a number of conditions that might cause this...

The beast with two backs has been known to cause such.

15 hours ago, ChrLzs said:

Welcome to UM.  Before us anonymous experts offer opinions, what did your doctor say?  There are a number of conditions that might cause this...

I've never shown a doctor. I never really thought them to be more than scars. What could a doctor tell me ya know? What conditions could cause this? I've tried looking it up but I haven't found much. 

On a side note, I was looking in the mirror yesterday & noticed they have faded quite a bit. I've had them since 2011-12ish 

1 hour ago, Tana03 said:

I've never shown a doctor. I never really thought them to be more than scars. What could a doctor tell me ya know? What conditions could cause this? I've tried looking it up but I haven't found much. 

On a side note, I was looking in the mirror yesterday & noticed they have faded quite a bit. I've had them since 2011-12ish 

The doctor could refer to to a dermatologist and they could tell you what it is.

I must say,  am surprised when people go online and tell people they do not  know about a conditions which need to be seen by a doctor first.

This is an unexplained mystery site, but i think you have misunderstood the meaning. You do not have an unexplained condition, numerous suggestions have been given, but only your doctor can give you the correct diagnosis. Now, IF, your doctor tells you he has never seen anything like that before and the medical profession are  at a loss to what you have and you are the only person to have this (note none of this will happen in your case)  then, fine, come back onto unexplained mysteries with your new found one off unexplained medical condition.

As it stand, you are not unique, but a bit silly if you do not see a doctor.

Are they bumpy scars such as keloid formation? Or smooth and flat?

Not that I'm a doctor, which is why you should go see a doctor first.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey!

I also have three random scars on my back. I've had a lot happen recently to have to start questioning things. I also have a random scar on my pinky. 

John

Edited by JohnE

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys ive had the exact same scars for years, my doctor said before it had to do with my adrenal glands. Has anyone else discovered anything about this yet? 

15 hours ago, RJ berger said:

Hey guys ive had the exact same scars for years, my doctor said before it had to do with my adrenal glands. Has anyone else discovered anything about this yet? 

I'm guessing it has to do with your adrenal glands, just like your doctor said. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SecretSanta said:

I'm guessing it has to do with your adrenal glands, just like your doctor said. 

OK smart ass, why didn't anyone elses doctors know then?? I feel as if it's due to bad posture, the way I sleep and possibly scoliosis cause I feel them pulsating at certain times. Someone with the same problem respond please ?

21 minutes ago, RJ berger said:

OK smart ass, why didn't anyone elses doctors know then?? I feel as if it's due to bad posture, the way I sleep and possibly scoliosis cause I feel them pulsating at certain times. Someone with the same problem respond please ?

And did you tell your doctor? Get a second opinion? Research the symptoms of whatever adrenal gland problem you have? 

27 minutes ago, RJ berger said:

First of all swearing is banned on UM and there was no need for it. If you feel those things get a 2nd opinion or even a 3rd one, no one dr has all the answers.

1 hour ago, Ruby04 said:

First of all swearing is banned on UM and there was no need for it. If you feel those things get a 2nd opinion or even a 3rd one, no one dr has all the answers.

Lol my bad didn't realize ass was that bad of a word 

See as a swear word and still there was no need for name calling another member.