Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What could have been lost

GeneralBender

Yeah, what Vamp said. If you could share where you've heard this, I will more publicly bow before the mighty might of Burnside.

Seriously, if I could go back in time I would disappear into the depths of the library never to return.

Or to return as God/a god, whichever would be easier. grin2.gif

So yeah, we lost a lot thanks to a lot of stupid people.

In honor of this topic, a random shift. What if those ancient inventors weren't ancient but modern/future people who went back in time and tried to teach and record these things to improve the future. Only things didn't go right, and obviously it didn't work out.

Possibly because of a set-path in the timestream. As in, they were supposed to be present in the past. That's why they were there.

Of course, that shoots to hell free will.

Uhm...anyway, I suppose I'm done rambling now. whistling2.gif

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GeneralBender

• BurnSide

• VampChilde18

• Asterix

Wait they found it? cool where? do you have an article on it or something? I wanna read up.

Yeah, what Vamp said. If you could share where you've heard this, I will more publicly bow before the mighty might of Burnside.

No problem guys, it was on the front page news just a couple weeks ago. Hang on i'll dig up the article for you.

Get ready to bow before my might!

Here it is.

Archaeologists have found what they believe to be the site of the Library of Alexandria, often described as the world's first major seat of learning. A Polish-Egyptian team has excavated parts of the Bruchion region of the Mediterranean city and discovered what look like lecture halls or auditoria. Two thousand years ago, the library housed works by the greatest thinkers and writers of the ancient world. Works by Plato and Socrates and many others were later destroyed in a fire. Announcing their discovery at a conference being held at the University of California, Zahi Hawass, president of Egypt's Supreme Council of Antiquities, said that the 13 lecture halls uncovered could house as many as 5,000 students in total. A conspicuous feature of the rooms, he said, was a central elevated podium for the lecturer to stand on. "It is the first time ever that such a complex of lecture halls has been uncovered on any Greco-Roman site in the whole Mediterranean area," he added.

"It is perhaps the oldest university in the world." Professor Wileke Wendrich, of the University of California, told BBC News Online that the discovery was incredibly impressive. Alexandria was a major seat of learning in ancient times and regarded by some as the birthplace of western science.

HERE'S THE FULL ARTICLE Courtesy BBC News.

Archaeologists have found what they believe to be the site of the Library of Alexandria, ...

What they BELIEVE to be the site, i want more evidence than a blelief. Still thats closer to it than we've ever had before. And so what if they found a bunch of lecture halls, thats cool and everything, but where were the books stored I wanna know that. The book are what really interest me. Especially if by some chance some of them survived. That would ROCK!!!

I found this quote in the article

The library was later destroyed, possibly by Julius Caesar who had it burned as part of his campaign to conquer the city.

Damn Cesar, he did nothing good but give us a salad dressing. Can you imagine how much the contents of that library would be world, in historical value alone???? Its mind boggling. Witness my mind boggle. I'm really starting to seriously dislike Cesar. He's not invited to my birthday anymore.

Edited by VampChilde18

Archaeologists have found what they believe to be the site of the Library of Alexandria, ...

What they BELIEVE to be the site, i want more evidence than a blelief. Still thats closer to it than we've ever had before. And so what if they found a bunch of lecture halls, thats cool and everything, but where were the books stored I wanna know that. The book are what really interest me. Especially if by some chance some of them survived. That would ROCK!!!

Actually they would have been mostly scrolls and single pieces of paper. Hand copied books didn't really come into use until closer to the Dark Ages.

But... wasn't the library raided at some previous point and a large portion of it taken away? Where did all that go?

Edited by hamellr

yes off subject but........ that great wall of mexico could or would past present whatever just might keep great open minded beautiful brown skinned aztec princesses away i truly take offense sad.gif

yes off subject but........ that great wall of mexico could or would past present whatever just might keep great open minded beautiful brown skinned aztec princesses away i truly take offense sad.gif

What??? Try writing that using grammer this time. Or anyone else feel free to translate for me

I think the most intriguing set of literature to be found, and maybe to have ever existed is in the Vatican Archives. I would let the Pope have my right pinky if I could get unlimited access to that place.

But... wasn't the library raided at some previous point and a large portion of it taken away? Where did all that go?

Interesting point. Does anyone have other information concerning the looting of the library?

Wiking

The library was later destroyed, possibly by Julius Caesar who had it burned as part of his campaign to conquer the city.

Actually the Library of Alexandria was looted and burned by Christian Monks under the leadership of Bishop Cyril around 428 CE. Maybe there was something there that disproved Christianity! wacko.gif

I believe books may or may not have been lost in the fire.

I believe books may or may not have been lost in the fire.

I had posted it before, I can repeat it here for those who missed it original.gif

Many of the books held in Alexandria's library, together with many others from various sources, were also present in the library of Constantinople (As copies, of course). But those too, were lost during the sack of the city in 1453 by the Ottomans.

What??? Try writing that using grammer this time. Or anyone else feel free to translate for me

he likes mexican girls end translation. For the article they found where they believe the library was but of course no scrolls were found. If we still had the library we would have the truth of our history. The loss of the library was probably one of the most devastating events in our history