Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Still Waters

Could glasses soon be history?

Still Waters
Scientists have identified a gene that causes short-sightedness, a discovery which paves the way for treatment to prevent one of the world's most common eye disorders. So could this mean the end of spectacles?

A pair of glasses used to come with its own brand of humiliation in the classroom.

"Four-eyes", "Specky-git" and "Goggles" were some of the names that rang out in the playground and scarred many a childhood.

Short-sightedness, or myopia, which makes distant objects appear blurred, often begins in childhood, and it appears to be growing in the UK - now affecting about one in three British adults. But a scientific breakthrough announced this week could start to reduce that number within a decade.

Scientists based in London have identified a gene that causes myopia and are confident that drugs could be developed to halt the distorted growth of the eye that brings about the condition. In about 10 years, shortsightedness could be cured through eye drops, says Dr Chris Hammond, who led the research at King's College London.

arrow3.gifRead more...

apriltricks

I don't think I'd take the "cure". Whenever I might I want a new perspective, its much easier to just take off my glasses and just see blurs everywhere. Its not bad, its look nice with all the colours flowing into each other. Also its a great feeling when I put the glasses back on, almost as if the world just got clearer. :rolleyes: I don't think I was ever bullied for wearing glasses, maybe just my time. Its great they found this but I doubt alot of people will jump at this. Life is already fairly simple with glasses no real need to make it simpler. Will anyone opt for the cure? and has anyone been bullied because of your glasses?

-Trix

danielost

I don't think I'd take the "cure". Whenever I might I want a new perspective, its much easier to just take off my glasses and just see blurs everywhere. Its not bad, its look nice with all the colours flowing into each other. Also its a great feeling when I put the glasses back on, almost as if the world just got clearer. :rolleyes: I don't think I was ever bullied for wearing glasses, maybe just my time. Its great they found this but I doubt alot of people will jump at this. Life is already fairly simple with glasses no real need to make it simpler. Will anyone opt for the cure? and has anyone been bullied because of your glasses?

-Trix

i would have to keep wearing mine, i also have double vision.

Pauly Dangerously

Specky-git...?

Anyways, yeah, i think a lot of people will be happy to never have to invest in glasses or contacts ever again. I would, were it that I had shortsightedness.

DrunkDwarf

I don't think the only reason people would consider this is because of having been bullied. Sometimes Glasses just get in the way, and Contact lenses can be lost or shift in the eye. A non-surgical cure would benefit a lot of people, especially those who take part in particularly active sports and hobbies. Soldiers would be another group who would highly benefit from this, providing there are no potentially risky side effects that could endanger them while on duty (such as there is with Laser Eye Surgery).

I am short-sighted, I currently wear glasses when not at the computer. I would most definitely opt for this cure when available, depending on the risks (if any) involved.

Edited by DrunkDwarf

Slorri

Now, didn't some-one say that we have a nose in the middle of our face just so that we can hang our eye-glasses on it.

We're living in the best of all worlds.

Edited by Slorri

Princess Serenity

MMmmmm no cure for me. I don't want it. I rather like my glasses. I'm so used to them, I just think I could never given them up. I don't wear them all the time like when I was younger. The current pair is when I'm on the computer, reading, and driving.

Still Waters

I didn't need glasses when I was younger, but I'm long-sighted now and need them for close work, reading etc., and have a different pair for using my computer. Contacts have never appealed to me, too fiddly imo. I'm fine with my glasses.

DieChecker

I would ditch mine. I'm borderline nearsighted and wear them for driving and for stuff like going to the movies. Mine are always getting smudged, and my 2 year old has destroyed more then one pair.

Druidus-Logos

I have a strong tendency to lose, damage, or even outright destroy small possessions. I'm sure I'm not the only person with this problem. This is a wondrous idea.

Even you guys who would prefer physical glasses, whatever reason, could really use a bottle of the drops. Imagine you break your glasses while driving on the highway or in a very large foreign city, downtown. Wouldn't it be prudent to have a quick and easy backup, despite its "inferior" nature?

It seems that those who want to stick to glasses are doing it out of sheer sentimental stubbornness. At least IMO. No offense, of course, I don't even really see why it should.

The Big Boss

I'll cast my lot in when they develop night vision, or at least low light vision.

archernyc

Whenever I might I want a new perspective, its much easier to just take off my glasses and just see blurs everywhere. Its not bad, its look nice with all the colours flowing into each other. Also its a great feeling when I put the glasses back on, almost as if the world just got clearer.

That's very funny - I do the same thing sometimes.

I would have tried this when I was younger, but one of the side effects of aging is that I am now short-sighted, far-sighted AND have astigmatism. I would LOVE to get rid of my glasses - they fall off me in many yoga poses; they steam up in the winter; pain in the neck for any sports activities really - and being able to see my clock without putting on my glasses would be a real pleasure.

I was able to wear contacts from the ages of 20-30, but once my vision got worse, I had to switch back to glasses. I found that wearing contacts while working on a computer all day gave me severe headaches.

I hope this discovery will come to fruition in time for my son because he's definitely following in my footsteps vision-wise.

Slorri

It seems that those who want to stick to glasses are doing it out of sheer sentimental stubbornness. At least IMO. No offense, of course, I don't even really see why it should.

You know, they give you that intellectual look, and also it's a winner when it comes to fist fights. (Never had one, never lost one).

farandaway

In the US we call it nearsighted, short sighted means something else entirely! But seriously this would be great for people who don't want to wear glasses. I've always been partial to wearing them myself, they keep things from flying into my eyes, but there have been times when I've wanted to throw them across the room!:D

Avant

It's not always about sentimental value, I'd take the drops and get some glasses with just glass lenses. I've worn glasses most my life so when I take them off I look odd...you know what I'm talking about...when you see someone who always wears glasses take them off there's something not quite right about the way they look.

booNyzarC

I have a strong tendency to lose, damage, or even outright destroy small possessions. I'm sure I'm not the only person with this problem. This is a wondrous idea.

Even you guys who would prefer physical glasses, whatever reason, could really use a bottle of the drops. Imagine you break your glasses while driving on the highway or in a very large foreign city, downtown. Wouldn't it be prudent to have a quick and easy backup, despite its "inferior" nature?

(above emphasis mine, with all respect)

That would be a cool invention as well, but that isn't what the article is talking about. It's about preventing the root cause of the problem, not acting as a supplementary remedy for the after effects.

From the article:

Scientists based in London have identified a gene that causes myopia and are confident that drugs could be developed to halt the distorted growth of the eye that brings about the condition. In about 10 years, shortsightedness could be cured through eye drops, says Dr Chris Hammond, who led the research at King's College London.

It's an interesting idea, but not an easy task - I think. Just how much should the growth be stopped? How much of a dosage would be required? When should the dosages start? And stop? I'm sure that there are an insanely high number of variables, as each case of this is unique.

That being said, it's a groundbreaking discovery and it could end up being extremely beneficial to many people down the road. The people who've already been impacted by this distorted growth though? Well... there is always lasic surgery I suppose.

Still Waters

No offense taken.

I've no motive for keeping my glasses, I just want to be able to see what I'm doing :lol:

If the eye drops were proved to be a safe alternative, then I would consider them. Apart from that I'm a big coward when it comes to anything medical so laser surgery is out of the question for me.

Druidus-Logos

(above emphasis mine, with all respect)

That would be a cool invention as well, but that isn't what the article is talking about. It's about preventing the root cause of the problem, not acting as a supplementary remedy for the after effects.

From the article:

It's an interesting idea, but not an easy task - I think. Just how much should the growth be stopped? How much of a dosage would be required? When should the dosages start? And stop? I'm sure that there are an insanely high number of variables, as each case of this is unique.

That being said, it's a groundbreaking discovery and it could end up being extremely beneficial to many people down the road. The people who've already been impacted by this distorted growth though? Well... there is always lasic surgery I suppose.

lol, I never said it would be easy to get to that level of technological ability. I meant that once we DID, it would be easy THEN. ;)

I know there's a HUGE amount of work necessary to get there, and that the tech. is very complex. I'm just saying that it would be easier to use eyedrops like that ONCE we actually HAD developed the tech. Of course it's not easy if you look at the process. Glasses ARE easier, in terms of the actual process you follow to get the good vision. But putting eyedrops in and then NOT having to wear very breakable and expensive prescriptive glass on your face, IMO, is prudent. I know it's not an easy task, I'm talking about once the task is done, friend.

Still Waters: Well, they ARE your eyes, I can't blame you for being cautious! :P

It's not always about sentimental value, I'd take the drops and get some glasses with just glass lenses. I've worn glasses most my life so when I take them off I look odd...you know what I'm talking about...when you see someone who always wears glasses take them off there's something not quite right about the way they look.

Don't you see that this IS for sentimental value? That you're not doing it for a practical reason, but for sentimental aesthetics? Sentimentality is about being swayed by EMOTION, not REASON. And that's what you're saying you'd do, be swayed by emotion. Emotionally, not having glasses wouldn't feel or look right, so you would wear glasses.

Also, I would submit that we are not born with some value that says we won't look right without glasses if our eyes need them. The ONLY reason you think that is because when someone has worn glasses throughout all of your memory it would be a very noticeable change if they stopped. But that's sentimental too, related to how you feel about someone because of your memory, emotionally, not because of any logical reason. People who need glasses don't have something horribly wrong with their faces causing them to have a genetic need to wear glasses in order to look normal, lol. It's not actually the faces that have the problem when they stop wearing glasses, it's your mind, which has grown emotionally used to them wearing the glasses. It's sentimental, not based on reason.

;)

MissMelsWell

I dunno, I've worn glasses all my life but I'm not short-sighted too badly at all (I can drive without corrective lenses no problem and read road signs lol) . My problem is the opposite, far-sightedness and I've been far-sighted since I was in about 2nd grade. I also have an astigmatism. Basically, I'm blind as a bat and have worn tri-focal lenses since well, I was maybe 14.

My vision is not something that can be corrected with surgery, but eighteen months ago, I FINALLY got a gift from the vision gods... hydrogel, multi focal contact lenses. They're essentially contacts, that feel like jelly, and adjust themselves to the correct prescription strength when you wear them. The holy frickin' grail... for the first time in my memory I have .... perifreal vision! I put these lenses in my eyes, I can't tell they're there, and wear them for 30+ days straight (even sleep in them) and it's absolutely heavenly. Sure, they dry out once in a while and I have to pop some drops in, but other than that... they're rockin'!

So would I take something to correct my vision? Maybe... but these hydrogel contacts are like totally maintenance free so they're pretty close to the same thing

danielost

i think this whole thread is anti-cyborg. we cyborgs have to stand together.